Skybound Transformers comics

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Skybound Transformers comics

Post by Denyer »

https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/08/21/sky ... e-1-493293

Due in October. It looks... okay? I wonder if the Earth alt-mode kibble is intentional.

SkyI-TF-1-001.jpg
SkyI-TF-1-001.jpg (287.12 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
SkyI-TF-1-002.jpg
SkyI-TF-1-002.jpg (694.16 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
SkyI-TF-1-003.jpg
SkyI-TF-1-003.jpg (514.43 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
SkyI-TF-1-004.jpg
SkyI-TF-1-004.jpg (781.05 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
SkyI-TF-1-005.jpg
SkyI-TF-1-005.jpg (840.88 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
Denyer

Re: Skybound Transformers comics

Post by Denyer »

Read #1. It's competent. There's not a great deal in the dialogue to connect with previous characterisations, but there is actually some dialogue rather than being all fight or all splash pages (although these are fairly well used). They seem to be making a show of lethality in the combat, but who knows if that'll stick and it'd be short-sighted to write out "name" characters at this point... it's comparable to early Marvel UK when having lots of characters out of action allowed them to be brought in and out of play to fit the writer's needs. It's still unclear why in the panels above they basically already have Earth mode kibble and I think it's just convenience. As is traditional versus the movies, they can't reformat alt modes at will and require helper systems/computers. Sparkplug's definitely set up to be unlikeable and a bad parent.

Maybe a modernised re-telling of traditional stories is warranted, the original material increasingly doesn't stand up well for current generations and is missing technology and cultural context that makes it more alien than the TFs, but it does feel like re-telling (and probably will until the Hasbro shared universe elements come in, at which point it'll get lambasted for something else).

Having said that, it's already set a pace better than Infiltration. Publishers can't afford to use many issues as setup these days.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Is it catching on with anyone yet? I see they're up to four issues now, I've seen some of the artwork and have started to love the kineticism, the fact there's some deaths and people other than Megatron actually have a shot at hurting Prime.

I've been tempted lately to get into it, but I also want to get digital versions of lots of the MTMTE stuff, and that isn't available anymore is it?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I might check it out again when a TPB drops.

IDW stuff not as far as I know, Hasbro/Skybound seem happier for now to push people towards piracy rather than having the material available via legitimate avenues and competing with the current publisher.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ooh, it just clicked that you mentioned 'Hasbro shared Universe elements'. That sounds bad... like Dark Cybertron/ROM/GI Joe throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater bad. Don't they realise that sort of thing never works, and this series has barely got started!

(I'm being very pre-supposing here, which is never smart. And I've never read the TF/My Little Pony crossover, which could be the best thing ever).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Think I read at least an issue of the MLP crossover, and can't remember a thing about it.

Shared universe seems to be the entire premise of this series, and is presumably why whoever at Hasbro loves the idea were supportive of the licence bid.

The "Void Rivals" preview issue was okay. I just don't think Joes has ever really worked with TFs, at least not with the relative tech levels, character saturation and scopes of other stories attempting it.

https://www.skybound.com/announcements/ ... se-trailer