OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Re: Official Transformers new/upcoming releases! Hasbro, TakaraTomy and more

Post by Warcry »

Oh good, I was afraid those Joes might be 80s stuff that I'd want to buy. (Also, yes, being six-inch kinda spoils the fun...no vehicles or bases for them, this way.)

There's official pics of some more new Transformers now.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/02/21/war ... led-405810

They all look terrible. I can't fathom why Hasbro has decided that releasing ugly CG renders a day before we'll see the real toys is a good idea. All this stuff, I'm sure, will look way cooler on the show floor in a few hours. :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

The doubledealer is so on-point that you'd think it were fake.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

At least CGI is less likely to be mistransformed.

Colour me surprised at the shuttle. If these comprise a wave of MMs I'll go along with that.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The Astro Squad surprised me too...I really expected a lazy repaint there.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/02/22/new ... ges-405916

Snapdragon, Sky Lynx and Smokescreen look pretty nice. Airwave too. The Quintesson stuff is disappointing. So is Megatron, but mainly because of all the rumours gping around that this would be a proper G2 green tank.

Also apparently they're doing a bunch of repaints for the Netflix show?

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/02/22/new ... ges-406206

A rousing "meh" for all of them, honestly.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Nice death chicken mode on Doubledealer. Lots of this stuff looks fun. Can't really see any issues with the Quints as they've added some relevant play features to go with what would otherwise be large eggs -- the Allicon, on the other hand, looks dire.

Scorpy comes across well for not being another mostly white/grey/blue large brick, there's enough paint detail to make colours pop -- wonder if it'll all be there on the released version.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

There's some real corner-cutting on the transformations lately...Cliffjumper, Arcee, the Allicon. Even worse than some of Siege's weaker-engineered conversions like Soundwave and Reflector. I guess Hasbro is gambling that a big proportion of the fandom only cares about robot mode? Sadly, they're probably not wrong.

I think I'll need to see the Quintesson in person to really judge it, but the sculpting on the faces looks really soft in the pics from TFW. And that'd be a dealbreaker since the faces are literally the whole selling point of the figure. It's nice that they articulated the jaws so that he can laugh at the people he sentences to death, though.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Some good stuff on show. I like Scorponok being a double Headmaster (even if he does have a massive forehead), and the proper face for his beast mode. Sky Lynx looks awesome and I'm very excited for him. Snapdragon looks good too, as does Runamuck. Airwave looks neat and will make a nice base for Stormcloud and Vhisper :) Arcee has a very nice robot mode, but I guess Hasbro have given up with trying to make the kibble go anywhere and the 'hoverboard' is just silly. It would have been better if this actually transformed, instead of being just the back half of her alt-mode. I can't say that it bothers me too much, as these shapely female body types have otherwise just ended up with loads of awkward car parts dangling off them. Quite like the Netflix repaints myself, although the one for Hound is a bit pointless. He's a different shade of green now. Big whoop.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Mmmmm, Doubledealer. Cool bot mode, triple-changer, faction-flipping gimmick, cassette-storing gimmick, and optional Krok & Skar if one felt so inclined. This will do. :)
Warcry

Re: OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Post by Warcry »

As everyone expected, Earth-mode Skywarp and Thundercracker! As no one expected, reissues of Legends Pounce and Wingspan.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/04/03/tra ... ges-409316

I dunno, they do 1984 Seekers so often now that I have a hard time getting even a little excited for them anymore. Those are perfectly fine toys but they've made these characters, what, four or five times in the last five or six years? Coneheads would be significantly more alluring if they're done right, though at modern Voyager prices anything beyond Ramjet will be a tough sell for me personally. And if he's a store-exclusive bundled with one of the others, even that'd be a maybe.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yup, after what, the Classics/ Generations era ones, the Combiner Wars Legends and Leader class versions, the Siege Tetrajets and now Siege Earthrise versions, I've had my fill of the Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker Seekers. I'd love to see the Coneheads get some love. Maybe they'll turn up in whatever comes after Earthrise.

Hasbro putting the clones out as a gift set after the Titans Return fiasco is just funny.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Honestly, I was tired of the endless stream of the Seeker trio, but now that I have Earthrise Starscream, who fills me with seratonin when I look at him, I realize that actually I was just a big dummy for buying all the prior versions of the three I’ve been suckered into over the years (well, the FoC ones are still solid) because these are the Seekers I’ve been wanting this whole time. A good robot that turns into a good fighter jet, in a moderate-complexity conversion. No gimmicks, no frills, bells, or whistles. Just well made action figures of my beloved Starscream, my also beloved Thundercracker, and the purple one
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:29 pm Yup, after what, the Classics/ Generations era ones, the Combiner Wars Legends and Leader class versions, the Siege Tetrajets and now Siege Earthrise versions, I've had my fill of the Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker Seekers. I'd love to see the Coneheads get some love. Maybe they'll turn up in whatever comes after Earthrise.
All three of the Coneheads are featured prominently on Sky Lynx's package, so i think it's a safe bet we see them in Earthrise itself. Though that probably means one main-line release and two hard to find store exclusives like they did for the '84 trio. We haven't seen a Conehead since, what, 2010? So they're definitely due.

The most exciting thing about the Siege seekers was Redwing, tbh. It's a shame he was so hard to get.
tahukanuva wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 pmHonestly, I was tired of the endless stream of the Seeker trio, but now that I have Earthrise Starscream, who fills me with seratonin when I look at him, I realize that actually I was just a big dummy for buying all the prior versions of the three I’ve been suckered into over the years (well, the FoC ones are still solid)
I forgot the FoC seekers even existed. I know I have Starscream around somewhere because his guns are in the random props box in my desk. I definitely liked him better than Siege Starscream when it comes to a Cybertronian seeker body.

I (eventually) got the whole set of Classics Seekers, so I had not real desire to army-build the other bodies. I got FoC Starscream and Legends Skywarp because they looked cool, but I think that's it for me and Seekers in the last decade. And I still feel burned out on the main trio!
tahukanuva wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 pmbecause these are the Seekers I’ve been wanting this whole time. A good robot that turns into a good fighter jet, in a moderate-complexity conversion. No gimmicks, no frills, bells, or whistles. Just well made action figures of my beloved Starscream, my also beloved Thundercracker, and the purple one
I don't even disagree! The Earthrise body looks exactly like how I see the Seekers in my head and fixes most of what I didn't like about the old Classics body. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I finally get one. It's just a bit tough to get excited about these guys when we see them so often.

You know what WOULD be exciting, though? The radioactive Trump-coloured dude in your avatar. I'd absolutely love to get an Earthrise Sunstorm. He could get into pose-offs with TR Sentinel Prime, and no one would dare to enter the room without sunglasses!
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Warcry wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:20 pmYou know what WOULD be exciting, though? The radioactive Trump-coloured dude in your avatar. I'd absolutely love to get an Earthrise Sunstorm. He could get into pose-offs with TR Sentinel Prime, and no one would dare to enter the room without sunglasses!
I’m hopeful that Sunstorm is slated for a Selects release this year. It seems like an ideal avenue for him. And dang it, I want my radioactive baby boy. My beautiful tangerine son. My precious neon child.

Relatedly, while I’ve been all “this’ll be my year” vis-a-vis Deathsaurus for multiple years now, looking at the upcoming Doubledealer, especially with his ability to cram two little dudes in his torso, I think this might actually be my year!

(And even if it isn’t, Doubledealer’s pretty sick too, so it’s hard to complain)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

tahukanuva wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:53 pm Relatedly, while I’ve been all “this’ll be my year” vis-a-vis Deathsaurus for multiple years now, looking at the upcoming Doubledealer, especially with his ability to cram two little dudes in his torso, I think this might actually be my year!
I really can't believe we don't have a Deathy yet. Hasbro started teasing him and Star Saber back during Titans Return! They really need to make good on that soon. The gloriously neon, perfectly realized Spinister sitting on my table and the Grotusque on a shelf nearby tell me that anything is possible. So hopefully everyone else starts seeing their favourite obscure guys soon.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Next movie masterpiece is Starscream, as rumored.

He looks nice. The difficulty is that the studio version(s) is also nice, as is the leader class / mpm01 figure from 2010. Also, I think the latter had a better jet mode with less junk in the undercarriage, but this one has more articulation apparently, plus the jets on the back.

Totally unrelated to the figure itself, after reading through the comments on official facebook page's announcement, I've come to the conclusion that most G1 transformers fans are absolutely spoiled man-baby brats. The amount of whining about the live action movie designs, even now in 2020, is absurd. And doubly so since those same g1 fans are already getting everything they ever wanted, toy-wise.

I do not understand people who aren't content that what they like exists and have to go out of their way to poo poo on other folk who have different taste. It does tell me that they understand neither what they like or what they don't like, though.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

That does look nice. I just wish I liked Starscream :P

Disappointing to hear that a large and vocal part of fandom still can't get over there being different takes on Transformers that are worthy of celebration. One of the cheering things and about Covid-19 is that social media seems now to be performing a slightly more friendly and useful function, as was intended. Shame some Transformers fans have missed the memo and continue to be massive bell ends. We've had what, 14 years of Generation 1 recycling to keep people happy since Classics, and they still moan? Boo to that.

I like that the Masterpiece line has branched out to give us Movie stuff, as well as Beast Wars and Generation 2. I hope the line continues to diversify. It'd be nice to see some Unicron Trilogy designs get some MP treatment.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I see some images of upcoming Earthrise / possible Studio Series Movie 86 figures have leaked;

Thrust, Cyclonus, Soundwave (plus a bagged Cyberverse Thunderhowl) and another '80s property Crossover, with Maverick using a jet from Top Gun as the alt mode:

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... ave/44873/

Bit baffled by Soundwave getting another outing, unless he's been tweaked to turn into a Microcassette player. Guessing he will have been, but the figure doesn't look that much different to the Siege figure.

And if you want a Hubcap, he's popping up in the Selects line (reportedly). Hopefully he won't be priced to extravagantly, as I'd quite like a new Hubcap. He was the only S-D Penny racer Autobot I had as a kid;

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... cap/44878/

Oh, and the recent GS Seacons are getting a redeco as God Neptune (which is pretty nifty):
https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... voy/44864/
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Maybe Soundwave will just be a "clean" version without battle damage?

Good to see Thrust and Hubcap. I'd probably have waited on Siege Staracream (ordered for the rather underbase feel) and Cliffjumper if I'd known, and might still pick them up.

Cyc looks a bit a 3P one that I can't remember if I've still got (think it was KFC Tempest). Nice for show fans.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

At a glance, I can't see anything that's changed on that Soundwave but the paintjob.

Hubcap is one of my favourite random nobodies! Hopefully he's easy to get and not too expensive, because I'm definitely not paying OVER Deluxe price for something that size, favourite or not.

Thrust looks okay but Seekers are just a blur to me at this point. Cyclonus seems a bit bland but that could just be the seeming lack of paint.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/06/05/mor ... naw-412492

So apparently G1 nostalgia is going to be taking over Studio Series now, with "1986 movie" versions of characters. Sorry, anyone who likes any part of the franchise but the one old cartoon! :(