Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Then following is actually on VHS, because they never got a DVD release as far as I know. Let's hear it for thrift shops!

Lupin the Third: Greatest Capers - Or, as the preview reel at the start of the tape puts it 'Tales of the Wolf'. It's the 2 episodes of the Red Jacket series that Streamline dubbed(they're up on Hulu), and I got it purely for nostalgia. And this way I don't have to have commercial interruptions. If you ever find yourself on a Miyazaki kick, watch them. Or even the whole of the Red Jacket series. He was one of the show runners.

Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser - Based on a video game that saw limited home release here(NeoGeo console or a new car..... Hmmmmm....), I never would have heard of it if it wasn't for Anime Abandon. He's right. It's perfectly bad, but still fun to watch.

Battle Skipper, vol 1 & 2 - I actually had to look this one up, and wow, TOMY must really have gotten burned on that one. They apparently had a line of little remote controlled robots, and decided that, besides ads on TV(helpfully included at the beginning of each tape), they wanted an OVA series to sell the things. What they wound up with was a Sailor Moon ripoff with mecha. Adorably designed mini mecha(I'd guess the Battle Skipper units might be 15 feet or so tall in the OVA. In the commercials, the design concept seems to be more chibi than serious, so who knows what the scale is supposed to be), but mecha nonetheless. The sad part is that Battle Skipper apparently did get a DVD release. i give U.S. Manga Corps credit, they did not go quietly into that good night. But wow, they put out a lot of drek.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Heinrad wrote:Lupin the Third: Greatest Capers - Or, as the preview reel at the start of the tape puts it 'Tales of the Wolf'. It's the 2 episodes of the Red Jacket series that Streamline dubbed(they're up on Hulu), and I got it purely for nostalgia. And this way I don't have to have commercial interruptions. If you ever find yourself on a Miyazaki kick, watch them. Or even the whole of the Red Jacket series. He was one of the show runners.
The "red jacket" series is the second one, isn't it? The one with like 150~ episodes?
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Yup. 155 episodes of Lupin goodness. I can kind of see why Streamline went with later episodes. They look more like Miyazaki's usual stuff.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Revenant - A historical, survival, action, drama film directed By Alejandro Inarritu, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy.

LEGO: DC Comics Justice League - Gotham City Breakout.
Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Game of Thrones: Season 5

London Has Fallen

Bought both during JB Hi-Fi's Mid-Year Tax-Time sale.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Beauty and the Beast the 1946 French version directed by Jean Cocteau on Blu-Ray from the Criterion Collection.

Some real beautiful imagery and effects highlight a great fairy tale, by a true artist.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Gods Of Egypt.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The He-Man movie!

It's a great example of a film with no money where everyone involved behind the camera is clearly so happy to be making a film they're putting a bit more time and effort in than their pay says they should. Lots of it still looks good, and compared to its near contemporary from the same studio Superman IV it looks amazing.

The move to Earth is also sensible as it means the film gets to be bookended by Eternia sequences that are brief enough for them to throw all the money at and so we get that amazing Greyskull set. Plus, even if it was for budgetary reasons, bringing He-Man to Earth feels like a "Bigger than the TV series" thing to do.

And my God, Frank Langella is brilliant in this. It's a shame Skeletor's head has black felt coverings over his nose because otherwise the costume would still stand up today and he is throwing himself into it fully and giving a masterclass to other actors in how to treat roles you take for the cash/to impress your kids seriously. When he gets super powers it's 2% cheap yellow animated lines and 98% Langella seeming to get actual super powers.

(I've also just found out the Skeletor costume was repurposed onto The Next Generation--with a better nose--as one of the Holodeck aliens Worf liked to fight across that show and DS9. THERE ARE EPISODES OF STAR TREK WHERE WORF FIGHTS SKELETOR).

The director also clearly (and understandably) loves Frank, any scene with him in is much better shot suggesting more time was spent on it. Conversely, poor old Dolph repeatedly doesn't get the second take (or a later bit of ADR) he so clearly needs with his repeated struggles with English "I don't want innocent people to doiii". I think in a film with a budget he'd have gotten the Sam Jones in Flash Gordon redub treatment. But hey, he's He-Man, a big oily naked man. He doesn't need to act with such great support.

It's also interesting how the film basically treats itself as a follow on from the TV series bar the slightly different looks and some things (like Adam and his parents) not being mentioned--though not contradicted either. The characters have history, Skeletor and Evil Lyn are almost orgasmic about getting Greyskull at last at the start and there's lots of mentions of past events to make this feel like a grand finale to the show (people on twitter mentioned some of the differences are down to the rights they had which didn't include stuff from the after the initial mini-comics. Though on the other hand on the DVD commentary the director says he regrets they couldn't afford to do Orko).

Though that does result in one moment of tremendous bad writing as nothing is done to establish He-Man has a magic sword before Skeletor goes "And now I have your magic sword that was key to my entire plan He-Man!" right at the end.

And I guess Courtney Cox and Robert Duncan McNeill were about six years old when they made this?

And as far as I'm concerned this is the canon explanation for what happened to Mr Strickland after the 1985 bits of Back to the Future. He quit teaching, became a cop (albeit an oddly New York accented cop in LA) and became a pussy magnet on Eternia.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Season 3 - Actually bought this before I bought the second season, although for some reason the second season is harder to find unless you buy the individual volumes.

What We Do In The Shadows - The director of this is directing the next Thor movie, so I wanted to watch this and Hunt For The Wilder-people when that's out on DVD to get a feel for he's directing style.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut steel book edition - I hear the ultimate cut makes for a more cohesive story, but doesn't make the movie any better if you didn't like it before.

Also, interestingly, JB Hi-Fi is running a promotion that if you buy BVS you also get a receipt that is redeemable for a cinema screening of Suicide Squad and a 20% off for Batman The Killing Joke animated movie.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

10 Cloverfield Lane.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I swear, if I have to go into another Wal-Mart this weekend...... Geez, is it so hard to find a pair of size 11 cross trainers in black?!?!? Although my shoe searching did net me a couple of DVDs.

The Killing Joke: It's good. It's really good. Holy Primus, it's really, really good. Once the story proper starts, that is. The prologue section..... Isn't bad. It's not nearly as good as the story proper, and the scene that has the fandom up in arms didn't really need to be there. The really weird thing is that, given the fact that I'm a decade older than one reviewer I watched(and as such, my first exposure to Batman was Filmation, Hanna Barbara, and Adam West), the scene in question didn't hit me the same way, other than "This is a really bad idea". All in all, the prologue left me wondering, and maybe they did as I've never read it, why didn't they just adapt the last Batgirl story to use as the prologue? Babs had retired by the start of The Killing Joke. Also, I may be one of the few people who read The Killing Joke and didn't think Batman kills the Joker at the end.

LEXX - The Complete Series: Yes, by blundering around the local Wallyworld I finally found a complete series set of Lexx, including the pilot movies. I've seen the first one(years ago), now I can watch the rest of the first season..... and wonder why the cover has a shot of Kai with a broadsword.

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi - Biographical war film directed by Micheal Bay and starring James Badge Dale and John Krasinski.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

DC: Justice League v Teen Titans - Another installment in DC Comics' DCAU.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sherlock Holmes in New York!

A TV film with Roger Moore (or "The Celebrated Sir Roger Moore" as the back of the case calls him, which is how I shall address him at all times in future) as Holmes trying to save his bastard son from a clearly drunk John Huston with the aid of Patrick Macnee's Watson.

I didn't go into this expecting much quality, especially as The Celebrated Sir Roger Moore seemed to be obvious miscasting as Holmes. But, I do love, and indeed celebrate, Sir Roger Moore and thought it would be a nice hour and a half of him and Pat Macnee being comfortably entertaining.

The surprise was The Celebrated Sir Roger Moore is actually fairly decent as a more dashing and straight laced Holmes, not much depth but really fits a fairly tongue in cheek lighthearted production If the character had been called Sexton Blake or Sir Roger Moore it wouldn't have felt like a rogue Holmes, but it still works in context. The surprise was how poor Pat was, I hope he just had a bad cold when filming rather than thinking a raspy cancerous smoker's voice was a good choice.

Entertaining to watch with your tea and a beer though.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Went to a bankruptcy sale, the best deals were still way beyond my budget, like an Xbox One at 40% off.

Still, I got Spectre for like 4 bucks which is nice.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The (Live-Action) Jungle Book - Starring Neel Sethi pretending to be talking to CGI animals voiced by people like Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Christopher Walken, Ben Kingsley and Lupita Nyong'o.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

WWE Royal Rumble 2016

Batman: The Killing Joke - Used a coupon to buy it a bit cheaper. There's been a bit of controversy regarding the first act of the movie, which is completely original made mostly to pad out the running time so that it could be shown theatrically. Surely it can't be that bad, right?
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Commando: Director's Cut and Ghostbusters 1&2 on blu-ray.

Since I'm stuck on a 720p TV, I doubt I can tell the difference between the old release and the 4k master of Ghostbusters. GBII is the biggest reason I bought the set anyway. And it has honest to god special features, at last!

If only they could extend that courtesy to the Rocky sequels...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Ash vs Evil Dead - the long awaited next installment in the Evil Dead franchise, and I love it. Although it doesn't really reference Army of Darkness, but it wouldn't really need to.

Lego Justice League: Gothan City Breakout - it looked like a lot of fun in the store. And I was right.