[New RPG] Humans!!!!

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?

Do you want to play human characters?

Hellz yes, sign me up right now
43%
I have no interest in playing humans BUT it would be fine for others
29%
I might play one... eventually, maybe...
14%
I'm grumpy, cantankerous, and humans have no right in a TF game, now get off my damn lawn!!!
14%

Total votes: 7

Brave Maximus

Humans!!!!

Post by Brave Maximus »

Alright so this idea has popped up in this section before - playing humans in the RPG. So here's the question:

Do you want to play them?

My suggestions to the Mods are as such:
Humans don't count towards TF limits.
There's a 2 Human limit for full players, 1 for new players.
Can have a mix of established characters and Fan-made.
(That being said, blonde kids with big sword and tall guys in black coats with silver hair and REALLY long swords will get their players killed. What I'm saying is, try and keep it in the realm of TF's)

Further more, Blackjack made the suggestion of starting something up PRIOR to the vast majority of TF's arriving on Earth - so millions of years after the War, but only a few years (months?) before the arrival on Earth.

Right now, I'm seeing who's interested in playing human characters and playing something TF related.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'd add a caveat: any character with superpowers will die in a surprisingly-convenient meteor shower.

I'd be interested, but really only if we stick to the 2050s-2100s setting that we'd talked about a few months back. Roleplaying people in the here and now sounds depressingly like real life. But a near-future setting where cybernetics and nanotech have run amok while overpopulation and overuse of resources have pushed the world to the brink of another world war...that I could get on board for.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Warcry wrote:I'd add a caveat: any character with superpowers will die in a surprisingly-convenient meteor shower.

I'd be interested, but really only if we stick to the 2050s-2100s setting that we'd talked about a few months back. Roleplaying people in the here and now sounds depressingly like real life. But a near-future setting where cybernetics and nanotech have run amok while overpopulation and overuse of resources have pushed the world to the brink of another world war...that I could get on board for.
Can we do the same to non-humans, mutations, sorta-humans and human-looking aliens with a perchance for tights, capes and bad hair? (or, currently, Jeans, Tshirt and an itty-bitty cape)

I'm fine for the time period, would be interesting to play a military character with some future tech.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Wait, we're not doing it in the 2011's? Then the Fallen suddenly has about an additional forty-fifty years worth of ruminating, thus upsetting all my pacing guidelines and necessiting I post more in the Fallen thread. Chaos wins.

I think a general rough guideline would be something like: no superheroes (no Deadpool, no Iron Man, no Ghostbusters or anything), no immigrants from other franchises (so we won't see, like, James Bond or Black Widow among the ranks of the NEST/S7/Skywatch/GI Joe analogue we will have), no one with crazy awesome abnormal telekinetic or whatever powers, no half-gods half-elves or whatever kind of shit, and staff will have to moderate those that would become partners of Transformers.

What I have in mind in terms for the Fallen would be some kind of organization similar to S7, a government (maybe military as well) branch investigating extraterrestrials and stuff, and they come across the Fallen slab, maybe? I had it that it might be ignored for 25-years or so, but if it's about closer to a century or something, then it's inevitable that someone'll notice.

I will post more about a proposed layout, once I get a wee bit more sleep.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:Wait, we're not doing it in the 2011's? Then the Fallen suddenly has about an additional forty-fifty years worth of ruminating, thus upsetting all my pacing guidelines and necessiting I post more in the Fallen thread. Chaos wins.
See, this is what happens when you make assumptions... ;)
Blackjack wrote:I think a general rough guideline would be something like: no superheroes (no Deadpool, no Iron Man, no Ghostbusters or anything), no immigrants from other franchises (so we won't see, like, James Bond or Black Widow among the ranks of the NEST/S7/Skywatch/GI Joe analogue we will have), no one with crazy awesome abnormal telekinetic or whatever powers, no half-gods half-elves or whatever kind of shit, and staff will have to moderate those that would become partners of Transformers.
In fact, I'd prefer that we stick to canon humans as much as possible. Between all the different continuities, it's not as if there aren't a lot to choose from. Of course, if no existing human can fit into the role you've got in mind that's a different story.

On a related note, I'm off to think about how I could fit G.B. Blackrock or Marissa Fairborne into things... :glance:
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:In fact, I'd prefer that we stick to canon humans as much as possible. Between all the different continuities, it's not as if there aren't a lot to choose from. Of course, if no existing human can fit into the role you've got in mind that's a different story.
That was what I was trying to say, yeah, but you said it better than I do. I mean, you don't have to create Mary Sues and all with the humans we already have, yeah?

Although I want to know whether the likes of Circuit Breaker or Death's Head or the GI Joe are legal.
On a related note, I'm off to think about how I could fit G.B. Blackrock or Marissa Fairborne into things...
I can has one of the agents (Simmons, Fowler, or someone else I might've not remembered) to head the S7-analogue organisation we're undoubtedly going to have?

Marissa could be part of it, Walter Barnett and Blackrock could head it in a military and financial aspect respectively...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Do we like the idea of going with 2 humans per player?
Or... more?
Or should those, for the sake of "preplay" just NPC as needed?

And, I think Circut breaker would be fun... Deaths Head - might be a bit much.

GI Joes - can't see why they just wouldn't be normal Spec Ops soldiers.

For the humans over the next 50 years or so - it would be interesting to have teams hunting through the stuff. Finding clues and tech
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:Although I want to know whether the likes of Circuit Breaker or Death's Head or the GI Joe are legal.
Death's Head isn't a human, yes? Not really applicable in this context. I see what you mean, though, and I'm not sure. I guess if he fit in...

Circuit Breaker. Well, Josie Beller would certainly be a playable character. But in the futuristic world that we're talking about, would she ever become Circuit Breaker? Cybernetic and nanotech implants could make repairing the sort of injuries she got in the Marvel comics a fairly trivial matter. She might end up going in a totally different direction.

G.I. Joe? In spite of the Marvel crossovers, personally I'd rather not. Having Duke or Snake-Eyes running around kicking ass would sort of distract from the robots. However, if Marissa is running around it does sort of beg the question. So I dunno.
Blackjack wrote:I can has one of the agents (Simmons, Fowler, or someone else I might've not remembered) to head the S7-analogue organisation we're undoubtedly going to have?
Go right ahead, if you want to.
Brave Maximus wrote:Do we like the idea of going with 2 humans per player?
Or... more?
Or should those, for the sake of "preplay" just NPC as needed?
If people want to use humans as real characters, I'd say two per is probably good enough. After all, it's still a Transformers RPG, not a Michael Bay movie where the TFs are guest stars.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Brave Maximus wrote:Or should those, for the sake of "preplay" just NPC as needed?
I think, if we're talking characters like Witwicky or Blackrock or Chip Chase or Arkeville or Fowler or Simmons or Lennox or Circuit breaker we'd have two.

Generic soldiers, on the other hand...
Warcry wrote:Circuit Breaker. Well, Josie Beller would certainly be a playable character. But in the futuristic world that we're talking about, would she ever become Circuit Breaker? Cybernetic and nanotech implants could make repairing the sort of injuries she got in the Marvel comics a fairly trivial matter. She might end up going in a totally different direction.
If I like Circuit Breaker, I would've picked her up. But I don't so I won't.
Warcry wrote:G.I. Joe? In spite of the Marvel crossovers, personally I'd rather not. Having Duke or Snake-Eyes running around kicking ass would sort of distract from the robots. However, if Marissa is running around it does sort of beg the question. So I dunno.
They retired.

Tiddy boom.
Warcry wrote:Go right ahead, if you want to.
Which one?

More importantly, what are we going to call the shady government organization(tm)?
Warcry wrote:If people want to use humans as real characters, I'd say two per is probably good enough. After all, it's still a Transformers RPG, not a Michael Bay movie where the TFs are guest stars.
I just need the one agent for the Fallen sacrophagus subplot.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Well, I'm in for the Fallen Sub-plot.
I'll pick up a Military type, because I'm good at playing that ;)

I'll probably also pick up a civilian dragged into the conflict - maybe Spike.... (hmmm maybe not... Spike... and Fort Max... )

Do we have ideas on the plot?

Shadey government names:

Sector 7's actually pretty good - it nice and generic enough to blend into any government budget report and not get noticed.

Department H

MI-12

CSIS

Special Investigations Department - Sector 7? (SID)

Eventually something like NEST or the EDC when things go somewhat public.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Brave Maximus wrote:
Department H
If we're going to call it that, I'm going to play a character called James MacDonald Hudson :p
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:Generic soldiers, on the other hand...
The 'generic' part sort of implies NPC, though.
Blackjack wrote:If I like Circuit Breaker, I would've picked her up. But I don't so I won't.
I...might, actually. Maybe.
Blackjack wrote:They retired.
Actually, since Marissa would be in her 30s that makes perfect sense. All the original Joes would be in their 60s or 70s by then, and presumably all of that Cobra business would have been wrapped up too.
Blackjack wrote:Which one?
Whichever. Your story, so it's up to you.
Brave Maximus wrote:Sector 7's actually pretty good - it nice and generic enough to blend into any government budget report and not get noticed.
Sector 7 is a good name in my books. Generic enough to pass muster without much comment. Don't particularly care all that much what it's called, though, to be honest. Just as long as it's not as pretentious as the organization names Furman comes up with.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Brave Maximus wrote:Well, I'm in for the Fallen Sub-plot.
Wahey!
Brave Max wrote:Do we have ideas on the plot?
Because the Fallen bit is now stuck in the 2010s, probably some time (ten, twenty years for realistic aging for the humans?) before the 2050 or 2100 date we have set, Sector Eight-previously-Seven Seven discovers the sacrophagus and tries to analyse it.

That's about as far as we can get with the Fallen sub plot, unless we want the Fallen to possess one of the humans or something, a power that I really don't fancy using...
Brave Maximus wrote:Sector 7's actually pretty good - it nice and generic enough to blend into any government budget report and not get noticed.

Special Investigations Department - Sector 7? (SID)
Sector 7, Sector 8... sounds pretty neat. Works once, why not again? Better than Triple-I, anyway.

Though Department H does sound rather nice to the ears too... hmm....
MI-12
Filled with Brits, no doubt. Maybe a branch in England? Though that'd be too much distraction from the robots. Maybe we'll toss around the name around.
Springer85 wrote:If we're going to call it that, I'm going to play a character called James MacDonald Hudson :p
:eyebrow:
Warcry wrote:Actually, since Marissa would be in her 30s that makes perfect sense. All the original Joes would be in their 60s or 70s by then, and presumably all of that Cobra business would have been wrapped up too.
See, I make sense.

So the 'Cobra Wars' could've been a conflict in the 2010s or 2020s, a sign that the RPG Earth is different from the real life.
Warcry wrote:Whichever. Your story, so it's up to you.

Sector 7 is a good name in my books. Generic enough to pass muster without much comment. Don't particularly care all that much what it's called, though, to be honest. Just as long as it's not as pretentious as the organization names Furman comes up with.
I cannot has Triple-I, the Initiative, Machination and Skywatch? :(

Sector 8, probably. Similar enough to S-7 of the movies, yet it's established that it won't be exactly similar... though either one will do. Now off to write Fallen posts.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Department H is from the Alpha Flight comic published by Marvel. James Hudson is or was one of its main characters ;)
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Springer85 wrote:Department H is from the Alpha Flight comic published by Marvel. James Hudson is or was one of its main characters ;)
See, I knew that ;)
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

So... I'm guessing, with Blackjack's last post - we're going ahead with humans :D

So, Sector 8 - currently a branch of the US Goventment?

Or is someone coming up with a story?

I actually don't mind doing the background writing if no one else wants to... It's turkey weekend, so I'll have some free time.

Now I've got to decide who I want to claim....

Hey Warcry/mods - are we claiming humans in the "claims" thread, or are you going to open a second thread?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Post them in the same thread as the TF character claims. :)
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Spiffy...
Do we have a roll-call thread for the new RPG?
IE: One post per player, listing what they have?
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

So....

had a thought over Thanksgiving....

If we're going to have the TF's active on Earth sometime around 2050....
and we're looking at starting things off with the Fallen, Humans and a few other random TF's running around Earth....

Whoever we pick won't exactly be in fighting shape by the time they even come to Earth, let alone when they go active.

So...

I would like to NPC Sparkplug as my character until the war breaks out. I have some ideas now.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I think I'm sticking with S7, actually. ;)

Warcry and I have the bare bones planned for one of Warcry's character, but really most of it is still vague non-stories and ideas until the Autobots and Decepticons do get to Earth.