[New RPG] Power Gaming

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Brave Maximus

Power Gaming

Post by Brave Maximus »

Blaster wrote:I've at this point given up posting in it because I know everything my character does (spray an open area with an automatic weapon which is obviously ridiculously easy to avoid, it's a wonder anyone uses an Automatic weapon, amirite?) will be magically dodged by a new power that will appear out of no where.

If this is the path that all fights are going to take, I guarentee any one with a text RP background will just laugh at the thought of joining up and find an RP that every character isn't ridiculously overpowered. If this is the path we're going to take then I'm sorry but I am going to go ahead and back out now cause it honestly isn't very much fun.

I haven't read the temple fight - I've been off....

But I would like to make one comment to what you've said Blaster (ok... maybe a couple) - and that's regarding spraying an area with automatic fire.

The reason you'd "spray" an area, that is, quickly whipping your rifle/sub back and forth quickly while keeping the trigger pressed, is for cover/suppression fire. The goal is not to actually hit anything (you can't, you're not aiming, you're just clearing an area), but to force people to take cover or keep them back. You may hit someone (Via direct or ricochette fire), but that's not the intent. If you're covering an area with indirect fire, and you're expecting to do damage, you're doing it wrong. The reason most militaries use automatic weapons is to ensure a kill via grunts without having to really aim. You point in the general direction and pull the trigger, holding down for 1-3 seconds (short, controlled bursts) - of the 3-7 rounds that just went down your barrel, 1-2 might hit something vital on your target. Then again, it may not. Usually because you're shooting from the hip, the weapon you're using isn't very accurate, or you're running and gunning which drops accuracy horribly.

The only time to ensure a kill is if you're sniping. But in open field combat, that's why you have larger teams. 2-3 people laying down suppression fire, keeping the enemy holed up, while a sniper/support can take their time and get the kills.

That being said. Close combat with projectile weapons in a confined area = you're getting nicked. This is the reason why sub-machine guns are the preferred weapon in an Urban setting. They tend to embed in surrounding surfaces instead of ricochetting (depending on material). The issue of damage comes not from when you're hit, but weither it's a direct or indirect strike, where it hit and your armour. Someone like Scorponok, for example, could take most small arms fire and laugh it off. It's going to scratch his paint and irk him (probably sting a bit too) - but there's not going to be any real damage. Ginrai (minicon) - on the other hand - probably couldn't even take one shot from a standard sized TF's rifle - it would kill him, even from indirect fire.

As I said at the beginning, I haven't read the Temple fight, so I'm not commenting on it at all. But please, in combat, where someone's pulled out a gun - think about what's happening and remember that you're going to get hit - probably a lot.

Melee combat, on the other hand, is a completely different story.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Welcome to two months ago. It's been dealt with and was a lot more effective with no replies. Way to ruin it.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Not worth it.
It's Blaster... he'll still miss the point.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Brave Maximus wrote:Not worth it.
It's Blaster... he'll still miss the point.
PROTIP: Don't begin a long winded post on any topic with "I haven't read any of the stuff I am about to comment on." If you want to be taken seriously.

Though your point about the assault rifles is correct, it had nothing to do with the point I was making. My reply was indicating that the issue that this post was there for has been dealt with. If you want to educate people on how the weapons and tactics of giant fighting space robots works then by all means, start a thread. If you want to talk about people power gaming, use this thread.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Interestingly....

Reading my first post, I said I wanted to comment about one of your mistakes, and then actually agreed with you about power-gaming. Then, in typical Blaster fashion, you snarked.

I admit, I miss-read the date. My mistake, I'll admit that.

Seeing as how you missed the point of everything else, I'm not going to bother.

Dear Mods:
Since Blaster's so concerned with my Reply messing up his post, could you please seperate them out? If possible that is...
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Okie dokie.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

zigzagger wrote:Okie dokie.
Cheers ^^