[New RPG] A very basic, very tentative plot skeleton

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

While I am not a terribly huge fan of the idea of using characters from Beast Wars I can see why it might be cool because it just gives so many more character options. If we can think of a way to include him in the story then I call dibs on Depth Charge.
Originally Posted by Warcry
I'd love to see elements of the non-G1 versions of a character integrated in places (I plan to do that for both Megatron and Soundwave, although not so much for the other characters I'm thinking about playing) but there really shouldn't be five Prowls or Starscreams or Jetfires running around. That's just confusing, and IMO kinda amateurish.
I agree with the five different kinds of the same Characters running around. And I think with character's like Starscream or Jetfire they should maybe default to the G1 incarnations considering this takes place in a G1 ish universe.
Also if you’re planning on using non G1 character elements. Please tell me you plan on using Beat Wars Megatron’s mannerisms.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Springer85 wrote:Also, I think it would be a good idea to introduce the concept of Transformers being possibly created by the Quintessons too. That way you can have religious mechs and non-religious mechs.
A creation schism for Zeta Prime to be engaged with, perhaps? Although, be fair, the Quints as creators were G2, but, y'know, maybe there are records somewhere and...

I can already see ideas spiralling out of control on this thread. While there are possibilities to explore, I really do think Staff will need to keep a tight rein on the list of available characters, where they come from and their profiles.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Why not do it so both Primus and the Quints had a part in creating the Transformers? Primus created the first batch, and when he went into his slumber the Quints took over Vector Sigma and the production of the Transformers, so reports on the TFs' creation vary on who you ask. This is what they did in the 3H Universe comics, IIRC.

Just throwing an idea here...

[Quote=Clogs]I can already see ideas spiralling out of control on this thread. While there are possibilities to explore, I really do think Staff will need to keep a tight rein on the list of available characters, where they come from and their profiles. [/quote]

This.

Staff will need to strictly regulate the rules for not-exactly-G1 characters, methinks. Otherwise it'll all spiral uncontrollably...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blaster wrote:Takes one to know one!
COMMIE SCUM! :mad:
Blackjack wrote:Let's make an Insecticon faction with all the insect-mode Predacons out there!

Ooh, can we have the Beast Wars Predacon? Waspinator and Quickstrike and Inferno? Let's think of a way to introduce them.
I don't think this is necessarily something we'd want to do right off the bat, but it's something we could look at doing somewhere down the road. For sure, if we ever end up with a swarm of Insecticons like there was in the G1 cartoon, I'd much rather use existing characters than faceless clones.
Blackjack wrote:Which gets me thinking... do we want to include metaphysical stuff like Primus and Unicron and the Fallen and Vector Prime into the mix?
Certainly not right off the bat, but I know that's the sort of thing that a lot of us would enjoy delving into eventually. I'd see it as epic grand finale fodder, personally.
Blackjack wrote:Can Sixshot be a doomsday weapon in the new RPG? -hopeful, slightly unhinged look-
Be careful what you wish for. If we make Sixshot that powerful he'd end up in the same category as the citybots and be restricted to staff only. ;)

Honestly though, for the sake of gameplay I don't think we should have that much disparity between playable characters. By the same token, if Megatron gets attacked by Bumblebee, Bluestreak and Hound he should know that he was in a fight when it's all said and done even if he beats them -- none of the "important bad guys laugh off everyone's attacks until Prime arrives" that we see in the comics and cartoon.
Clogs wrote:Dibs on Zeta Prime until he goes down... Aww, c'mon, I do comparative mythology stuff and I'm sure I can formulate enough from that and 'known' Cybertronian religion to make him a real zealot... We could establish both Primus and Unicron for any future use. Let's do time-limited Preface threads to set it all up!
I've heard a few people express interest in laying the groundwork for their religion. Why don't you start a new thread so we can discuss it separately? :)
Clogs wrote:Those slower-than-light ships: yes, I'm sure they would be sleeper ships with mechs in controlled stasis, but I would assume some would be active to monitor/repair the vessels/stasis pods (and ailing mechs), which would mean engineers and medics plus a commander and a few guards.
I like that idea, although I'd be surprised if all of them were awake all the time. There would probably be a small handful of people awake the whole time, and they'd wake up others as necessary to deal with whatever problems crop up. And of course, those handful of people who were awake would probably be very, very eccentric by the time all is said and done.
Clogs wrote:Cybertron a radioactive wasteland? Yes, I like, but I'm also aware that these are intellegent, adaptive machine and anyone left behind, by choice or otherwise, might be able to survive in some way, possibly beneath the surface. Would be nice and twisted to have Megatron leave Shockwave behind to control the planet for him, which would have repercussions later when ol' Shockers finds the secret of the Spacebridge just at the point the plot device is needed :)
I could definitely see some survivors, although Cybertron certainly wouldn't be static in the time our characters are gone. Maybe the ones who were left behind and couldn't find shelter ended us as hideous mutants like the ones in Stanix in the comic. Cybertron's surface could have become a zombie apocalypse wasteland, with the bulk of the surviving 'normals' hiding underground even after the radiation has dispersed?
Springer85 wrote:Personally, I think that we should only allow characters from another continuity that have an original name. Characters like Rhinox, Rattrap, Cheetor are fine, but when you get to a name like Inferno, which one do we pick? Do we go with the G1 one, or the BW one? And what if we go for the BW one, but people want to play the G1 version?
I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think we want to set that as a hard and fast rule. With a fairly prominent G1 character like Inferno it makes sense, but what about cases where the non-G1 guy is more recognizable than the original? I wouldn't want to flat-out ban popular, highly-recognizable characters like Movie Blackout and Barricade from play in favour of a couple of Micromasters that no one cares about. Honestly there aren't that many times where the post-G2 incarnation of a character is all that different from the original, so if it ever comes up I'd rather look at it on a case-by-case basis.

The same goes for post-G2 characters in general really. They're all going to need to be evaluated individually whenever someone asks for one to make sure they'll fit in, otherwise things could get out of hand as Clogs and Blackjack have said.
Springer85 wrote:Might be handy to start a tread like that. It could help with formulating the first plot and such?
I'll probably start up a character thread a day or two after Christmas. Just want to see a few more things sorted out first. :)
miked23 wrote:While I am not a terribly huge fan of the idea of using characters from Beast Wars I can see why it might be cool because it just gives so many more character options. If we can think of a way to include him in the story then I call dibs on Depth Charge.
Depth Charge is awesome, but I'm not sure how you'd work him in without Rampage and I'm not sure how Rampage can exist at the start of the war. If you can figure out a way to fit him in, though, I'd be interested in hearing it.
miked23 wrote:Also if you’re planning on using non G1 character elements. Please tell me you plan on using Beat Wars Megatron’s mannerisms.
Megatron is going to be an unholy amalgamation of the G1, Beast Wars and Animated versions of the character. :D
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

I could definitely see some survivors, although Cybertron certainly wouldn't be static in the time our characters are gone. Maybe the ones who were left behind and couldn't find shelter ended us as hideous mutants like the ones in Stanix in the comic. Cybertron's surface could have become a zombie apocalypse wasteland, with the bulk of the surviving 'normals' hiding underground even after the radiation has dispersed?
Took the words right out of my mouth. I think a transformers styled zombie apocalypse type situation could be really amazing. It would really be a sick change to have the Autobots and Decepticon return to cybertron only to find out that the majority of the population has become zombies/ mutants. I’m sure some good plot lines could be built in around that situation like Autobots trying to cure the infected and Decepticons trying to eradicate them.

Quote:

Depth Charge is awesome, but I'm not sure how you'd work him in without Rampage and I'm not sure how Rampage can exist at the start of the war. If you can figure out a way to fit him in, though, I'd be interested in hearing it.
I know what your saying, truthfully I hadn’t thought that far ahead. And it probably wouldn’t be possible to work him into the RPG at all considering there is already a character in the RPG named Rampage. But I still got dibs all the same. :)
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Clogs wrote:A creation schism for Zeta Prime to be engaged with, perhaps? Although, be fair, the Quints as creators were G2, but, y'know, maybe there are records somewhere and...
Well, one of the things of the current RPG I really liked was the vagueness of what the origin of the Transformers was. Were they created by Quints or Primus? I played a little with the when controlling Brawn and Cliffjumper. It's something that I would like to do once in a while, but if the origin of the TF's is going to be set in stone for the new RPG, I'm fine with that too.

And I thought Quints were revealed to be the creators in Season 3? While the comics had Primus?
Warcry wrote:I'll probably start up a character thread a day or two after Christmas. Just want to see a few more things sorted out first.

Awesome :up: Looking forward to it. :)
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Sorry for the minor off-top, but it wouldn't have to be Rampage, would it? Just someone who'd murdered Depth Charge's men. He wouldn't have to be immortal. Heck, it could be the member of Predaking if we wanted. His motivation matters more than the specifics of his nemesis.

Also, +5 geek if the (hypothetical) person playing Cheetor plays the Armada one.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

miked23 wrote:I’m sure some good plot lines could be built in around that situation like Autobots trying to cure the infected and Decepticons trying to eradicate them.
TF: Prime spoiler:
SPOILER! (select to read)
Maybe the 'Cons would try to control them, like in the new Prime cartoon? Maybe working Dark Energon into the plot somehow?
tahukanuva wrote:Also, +5 geek if the (hypothetical) person playing Cheetor plays the Armada one.
I've actually considered that myself...as Aero Blade can attest I've put quite a bit of thought into the guy, though the stumbling block there is that it's very Armada-centric and not all of it would work well in a G1 universe. Actually I like Predacon the most out of the Armada beasts, and since he's obsessed with using science to improve the Transformer race he'd fit in nicely with some of the ideas we've talked about. :glance:
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:TF: Prime spoiler:
Maybe the 'Cons would try to control them, like in the new Prime cartoon? Maybe working Dark Energon into the plot somehow?
Let us. We already have that WFC vibe, let's go all the way! :)
I've actually considered that myself...as Aero Blade can attest I've put quite a bit of thought into the guy, though the stumbling block there is that it's very Armada-centric and not all of it would work well in a G1 universe.
Which one was Armada Cheetor? I thought he was the one who got brainwashed and became a Horseman of Unicron or something?
Warcry wrote:Depth Charge is awesome, but I'm not sure how you'd work him in without Rampage and I'm not sure how Rampage can exist at the start of the war. If you can figure out a way to fit him in, though, I'd be interested in hearing it.
tahukanuva wrote:Sorry for the minor off-top, but it wouldn't have to be Rampage, would it? Just someone who'd murdered Depth Charge's men. He wouldn't have to be immortal. Heck, it could be the member of Predaking if we wanted. His motivation matters more than the specifics of his nemesis.
SIXSHOOOOOOOOOOT

Or Scorponok. Scorpy looks close enough to Rampage, but Sixshot is closer to Rampage's personality.
Springer85 wrote:And I thought Quints were revealed to be the creators in Season 3? While the comics had Primus?
Cartoon --> Quints (or Vector Sigma. Or Wheeljack. They weren't choosy)
Marvel Comics --> Primus
Dreamwave Comics --> Primus
IDW --> Simon Furman
3H Universe's retcon to the cartoon --> Primus and Quints
Fun Publications retcon to everyone --> Primus
Warcry wrote:I don't think this is necessarily something we'd want to do right off the bat, but it's something we could look at doing somewhere down the road. For sure, if we ever end up with a swarm of Insecticons like there was in the G1 cartoon, I'd much rather use existing characters than faceless clones.

Certainly not right off the bat, but I know that's the sort of thing that a lot of us would enjoy delving into eventually. I'd see it as epic grand finale fodder, personally.
Of course not right of the bat, for obvious reasons. Just throwing out ideas around... although to be honest I never expected this particular one to be taken seriously... ;)

Still, it would be fun to see.
Be careful what you wish for. If we make Sixshot that powerful he'd end up in the same category as the citybots and be restricted to staff only. ;)
What, you guys don't trust me? :(
Honestly though, for the sake of gameplay I don't think we should have that much disparity between playable characters. By the same token, if Megatron gets attacked by Bumblebee, Bluestreak and Hound he should know that he was in a fight when it's all said and done even if he beats them -- none of the "important bad guys laugh off everyone's attacks until Prime arrives" that we see in the comics and cartoon.
:up:

So far as I can tell, the only ones who can shrug off attacks like that are only Omega Supreme and the Citybots, which are all under staff control (and in the case of Scorpy, no longer one).
I like that idea, although I'd be surprised if all of them were awake all the time. There would probably be a small handful of people awake the whole time, and they'd wake up others as necessary to deal with whatever problems crop up. And of course, those handful of people who were awake would probably be very, very eccentric by the time all is said and done.
Might explain for the craziness of some people, like, say, Tailgate.
I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think we want to set that as a hard and fast rule. With a fairly prominent G1 character like Inferno it makes sense, but what about cases where the non-G1 guy is more recognizable than the original? I wouldn't want to flat-out ban popular, highly-recognizable characters like Movie Blackout and Barricade from play in favour of a couple of Micromasters that no one cares about. Honestly there aren't that many times where the post-G2 incarnation of a character is all that different from the original, so if it ever comes up I'd rather look at it on a case-by-case basis.
G1 Barricade was somebody! He appeared in a comic and he got a role in WFC... but yeah, the Movie copper is a more kickass guy. I love all movieverse guys.

G1 Blackout, on the other hand, is a nobody. Movie Blackout... can I have him? (You do realize letting us have the option of post-G2 characters is giving me a big headache on who to pick...
I'll probably start up a character thread a day or two after Christmas. Just want to see a few more things sorted out first. :)
:up:
Megatron is going to be an unholy amalgamation of the G1, Beast Wars and Animated versions of the character. :D
No Movieverse?

Curse you, Canadian scum! :p
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

Origninally Posted by Warcry

TF: Prime spoiler:
Which ever way works best in the long run, I think as long as it’s something that the Autobots and Decepticons can be against each other on, it would work. Maybe we could say that Dark Energon was what caused the remaining population on Cyberton to mutate. It's probably a little early to be thinking this far ahead though.

Depth Charge is awesome, but I'm not sure how you'd work him in without Rampage and I'm not sure how Rampage can exist at the start of the war. If you can figure out a way to fit him in, though, I'd be interested in hearing it
Originally Posted by tahukanuva
Sorry for the minor off-top, but it wouldn't have to be Rampage, would it? Just someone who'd murdered Depth Charge's men. He wouldn't have to be immortal. Heck, it could be the member of Predaking if we wanted. His motivation matters more than the specifics of his nemesis.
Originally Posted by Blackjack

SIXSHOOOOOOOOOOT

Or Scorponok. Scorpy looks close enough to Rampage, but Sixshot is closer to Rampage's personality.
It looks like it may be easier to get Depth Charge in after all. I agree with tahukanuva as long as we have a character that is able to fill the role of being Depth Charge's nemesis it should work. If Sixshot’s character is closer to Rampage from Beast Wars then I would say use him if we don't want to use Rampage. After that it just becomes a matter of having Sixshot do the deed of killing Depth Charge's men.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

miked23 wrote:Which ever way works best in the long run, I think as long as it’s something that the Autobots and Decepticons can be against each other on, it would work. Maybe we could say that Dark Energon was what caused the remaining population on Cyberton to mutate. It's probably a little early to be thinking this far ahead though.
I like the idea of Dark Energon playing a larger part. Like some of Unicron's influence were brought to Cybertron by his agents or something like that, slowly corrupting Cybertron, forcing Primus to hide his conscience.

As for the TFs, well... Dark Energon is like a drug, right? Use it and you become powerful but you slowly go crazy and get addicted to it.
It looks like it may be easier to get Depth Charge in after all. I agree with tahukanuva as long as we have a character that is able to fill the role of being Depth Charge's nemesis it should work. If Sixshot’s character is closer to Rampage from Beast Wars then I would say use him if we don't want to use Rampage. After that it just becomes a matter of having Sixshot do the deed of killing Depth Charge's men.
Yup. Will need to work a few kinks on Sixshot's origin, though. :up:
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

As for the TFs, well... Dark Energon is like a drug, right? Use it and you become powerful but you slowly go crazy and get addicted to it.
I could work with that, though I think we should wait with introducing Dark Energon. Maybe the unlucky group of mechs [that accidentally land on the planet that becomes Unicron], start drilling the planet for energon and then find Dark Energon.

Come to think of it, when I started out in the RPG, I suggested a storyline where a group of mechs picked up a faint energy signal. Maybe my idea from back then can still be incorperated? :p
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Let that be a warning: Dark Energon corrupts the Spark!

Zombiefies 'em, doesn't it?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:Which one was Armada Cheetor? I thought he was the one who got brainwashed and became a Horseman of Unicron or something?
All of the beasts were, I think. I never actually read the Armada comics, except for the MTMTE profile books.
Blackjack wrote:Might explain for the craziness of some people, like, say, Tailgate.
It certainly could. Then again, having your entire planet blown up from underneath you with nothing left but a radioactive wasteland would do the same thing, especially if you were a civilian.
Blackjack wrote:G1 Barricade was somebody! He appeared in a comic and he got a role in WFC... but yeah, the Movie copper is a more kickass guy. I love all movieverse guys.
Oh, poppycock. He had the same personality as every other Micromaster in that dire comic, and the video game version has nothing in common with the original and only exists because of Movieverse name recognition. ;)
Blackjack wrote:Movie Blackout... can I have him?
Not while you're intending to use Obsidian and Sentinel Prime, you can't. :(
Blackjack wrote:No Movieverse?

Curse you, Canadian scum! :p
Since when does Movie Megatron have a personality, miscellaneous foreign devil from a minor Far East country I can't be bothered to remember? ;)
Springer85 wrote:Come to think of it, when I started out in the RPG, I suggested a storyline where a group of mechs picked up a faint energy signal. Maybe my idea from back then can still be incorperated? :p
Could be a possibility one of these days. Maybe there's a vein of Dark Energon on one of the moons in our solar system? And evidence dug up there eventually leads us to the Unicron-world?
Clogs wrote:Let that be a warning: Dark Energon corrupts the Spark!

Zombiefies 'em, doesn't it?
It'll zombify dead bodies, yeah. If you take it while you're alive you'll become stronger and immune to pain, but grow more aggressive and are filled with drug-induced euphoria. It's also highly addictive and uncontrolled withdrawal will turn you into a slavering, barely sentient beast until you either get more of it or die trying.

Then again a single drop of it is apparently enough to corrupt and convert any normal Energon into Dark Energon, so getting more isn't that hard.

And right now I'm starting to wonder what it would do to non-sentient Earth machines. Or even humans... :glance:
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Warcry wrote:Then again a single drop of it is apparently enough to corrupt and convert any normal Energon into Dark Energon, so getting more isn't that hard.

And right now I'm starting to wonder what it would do to non-sentient Earth machines. Or even humans... :glance:
Maximum Overdrive bwahahahahahahahahaha
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Could be a possibility one of these days. Maybe there's a vein of Dark Energon on one of the moons in our solar system? And evidence dug up there eventually leads us to the Unicron-world?
I would love to see that happen! :D (Starts plotting :swirly:)
Aspiring DJ!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:All of the beasts were, I think. I never actually read the Armada comics, except for the MTMTE profile books.
[Re-reads] Terrorsaur, Rhinox, Cheetor and Airazor. Respectively turned into Famine, War, Pestilence and Death.

Both awesome and stupid at the same time in hindsight. Because it makes more sense in context than Hook Line and Sinker, but I refuse to admit Dreamwave is better than Marvel in any way.
It certainly could. Then again, having your entire planet blown up from underneath you with nothing left but a radioactive wasteland would do the same thing, especially if you were a civilian.
Or somebody so utterly fanatical about the preservation Cybertron itself. Like a certain two-rotored floating VehiDecepticon.... ;)

Oh, the possibilities for him is endless...
Oh, poppycock. He had the same personality as every other Micromaster in that dire comic, and the video game version has nothing in common with the original and only exists because of Movieverse name recognition. ;)
That's something, at least.

Barricade had more, actually. He was portrayed as this guy who would win at any cost... but was genericized back into another peace-loving peacenik at the end because all Micromasters not Skystalker must be good like Mini-Cons. Well, as good as ripping heads off Shockwaves and Insecticons would be, anyway. But because it's Dreamwave it's passed off as crap. :(

Ah well, Blackjack had his Marvel appearance, so I don't particularly care.

For what it's worth IMO Micromasters had an interesting setting, and semblance of plot. It had little funny moments. Sure, the art may be the worst, and it's hardly a masterpiece, but it's still better than IDW's ongoing.
Not while you're intending to use Obsidian and Sentinel Prime, you can't. :(
Boo.

On the other hand, those two are much more interesting than Blackout. Obsidian's... well, I don't know, but there is something so interesting about him. His cool design and what little we saw of him in BM had impressed me, while Sentinel is simply a royal Jerkass and a Magnificient Bastard. Blackout has the whole 'Rule of Cool' vibe going on, but otherwise he's a silent Lugnut, yeah?

Am tempted, though...

So does this mean Obsidi and Sentinel are a-go?
Since when does Movie Megatron have a personality, miscellaneous foreign devil from a minor Far East country I can't be bothered to remember? ;)
Movie Megatron is a short-sighted obsessive High Octane Nightmare Fuel and a badass that ground to dust whatever Starscream had worked so hard to maintain in the thousands of years he was gone. He's also an unstoppable force of nature, killing Jazz and batting around Optimus Prime like a toy until the Air Strike and Lennox's soldiers distracted Megatron long enough for him to scramble crazily to the human boy and get himself killed.

Then, after his resurrection, he became this delusional sadistic guy manipulated by the Fallen into doing all his job... while laying the blame on any failures on Starscream. Despite Starscream arguably being a more successful leader than Megatron prior. And Megatron totally had that innuendo-filled torture scene with Sam. 'Oh yes, it feels good to grab your flesh again!' Afterwards he got owned by a Papa Wolf-mode Optimus but killed him with a cheap shot. And he then dispensed with disguises because he's that hardcore. He's basically a monster and he's proud of it.

Then after killing Sam, he got driven off by a bunch of tanks (and maybe Ratchet and Sideswipe). Idiot. At least he wasn't the one to give the retreat order. That's how obsessive he is. (And short-sighted)

Plus, despite Animated Megatron's badassery, he never killed Optimus Prime. And Movie Megatron has TEH DEATH CLAWWWW.

Miscellaneous foreign devil? :o :devil: I am insulted. I am THE miscellaneous foreign devil. The only one devilish enough to attempt play Drift! I is unique, damn it! Minor Far East country? Well, it is that, I'll admit. But I don't think I've told you where I came from. It's part of my mystery, you know... ;)

Why, yes, I'm a little sleep deprived right now, why do you ask?
It'll zombify dead bodies, yeah. If you take it while you're alive you'll become stronger and immune to pain, but grow more aggressive and are filled with drug-induced euphoria. It's also highly addictive and uncontrolled withdrawal will turn you into a slavering, barely sentient beast until you either get more of it or die trying.
Plus, it makes Frank Welker's voice sound less scratchy.

In the game it allows Megatron to magically grow Dark Energon crystals and open doors and corrupt machinery and stuff. But nobody cares about that power when the Autobots actually become a threat. Nooo, they had to send in Trypticon instead of Megatron, y'know, coming down with his super awesome Dark Energon powers.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Seeing that it'll be likely that Dark Energon is going to be introduced, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from picking up Wheeljack :p
Aspiring DJ!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ah, yes - and then there's the Smelting Pits. Interesting concept, ducking non-believers and heretics :)

That is: if we're having a Cybertron still united at the start of this RPG prelude? I looooove the Smelting Pits, what with them being so economical even Ratbat could not object (and I bet a lot of Senators wouldn't, for various reasons...).
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Use my idea, make it happen.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."