[Original RPG] Who have you passed over when choosing characters?

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Blackjack

Who have you passed over when choosing characters?

Post by Blackjack »

... otherwise known as 'Blackjack is bored and needs to type something'. ;) So, title says it all. I mean, there has to be this one or two character that you've considered when picking your core roster or an NPC, but you passed over because you don't think you could do a good job/another guy is more interesting than him. Or you simply couldn't bear dropping the characters on your current roster to claim this guy that you want.

Of course, it's easy to simply say 'I want every single Transformer that has ever existed mwah-hah-hah!' but these are some of the guys that I have actually considered picking up at one point:

-Pyro and Rotorstorm. After reading LSOTW, these were the guys that stuck on my mind for obvious reasons. I actually considered picking up Pyro and/or Rotorstorm (Ironfist was already taken) when Heinrad did that 'we need guys for Autobot security' thing, but ultimately settled on Arcee. Because she can do love triangle stuff with Hot Rod and Springer, that's why. And Pyro has a messiah complex! How fun is that?

-Overlord. I actually considered talking to the staff about him even before LSOTW, but decided against it. After all, I just claimed Scorponok and Sixshot, and having another Decepticon weapon of mass destruction under my belt just doesn't seem right. Also, I don't think I could ever get Overlord right.

-Deathsaurus. Because I want to know how many bad jokes about his name I could make before the staff drop-kicked me.

-Electro. I actually considered picking up Electro several times during my stay with the RPG, but decided against it because guys like Bombshell and Drift were more interesting, that's why.

-Sunstreaker. Because an Autobot psychopath would be so much fun to play, but I don't think I was up to it, so I never stuck a claim to him. His backstory is great, though.

-Trailbreaker. Another Autobot that I really love, and have considered a lot of times, but again I'm not sure whether I would write up a good Trailbreaker. He doesn't seem to be someone I could identify with.

-Skydive. I looooove Skydive, but picking him while not playing with the rest of the Aerialbots felt wrong if someone else wanted the whole set. Plus, there was never a good time to insert him in.

-Sunstorm. Guy thinks he is a GOD. What's there not to like about him?

-Every single G2-original guy. Because I have a fetish for guys like Volt and Drench and Aquafend and Calcar and Fearswoop and Staxx and Meanstreak and Deluge and Jetstorm, that's why.

-Kickback. Just to complete the set between Shrapnel and Bombshell. I actually played Kickback for a bit, only to find that I'm clueless on how to play him. In retrospect, it is great that I finally dropped him, because Warcry is doing a brilliant job with Kickback.

-Blaster. The Marvel Wolverine-esque vengeance ridden guy, that is. Never remotely liked the cartoon take on the character.

-Broadside. I keep looking for an excuse to reclaim Broadside, but Whirl is so much funner to play compared to him, so I'm sticking with Whirl as my default Wrecker.

-Monstructor. I love Monstructor. I really do. Especially Yoda-talking Slog. But I don't think I would spend the time playing him as much as I do, say, Shrapnel or Laserbeak.

-Nemesis Prime. I actually considered plopping him into the Stanix plot thread back when I was a newbie, but we already have Black Battle Convoy, so it's a good thing that Warcry talked me down.

-Needler. I considered him as a minion for Bombshell, and actually nearly asked the staff to give me Needler when I made Bombshell an Action Master, but since there was no good reason to play him I decided against it.
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

I'd have to say I had this experience with Drift. I think he's a cool, well design character, but I never got any exposure to his character's personality. Closest comicbook store to my area is is too far for regular visits with the traffic I have to go through, so I managed to miss out on him, both the good and the bad part of his media blitz I supose ;)

Anyways, I'd have loved to take him up, but since I have no first-hand experience with how his character's personality is supposed to look, felt it'd be best left for someone who did.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:Pyro
Same here. Pyro is probably my favourite newbie from Wreckers and he seems like he'd be a whole lot of fun to play. As it is, he's significantly influenced my take on Sureshot, though, and playing two characters with the exact same personality quirk would get confusing. And if I did with Pyro what I plan to do with Sureshot, I have a feeling some people would get upset... :glance:
Blackjack wrote:Skydive
Me too, although somehow the one I ended up with was Slingshot...

Some others...

--> Wheeljack, Jazz and Prowl. My three favourite Autobot cars, and all of them have been free at one time or another. I've looked at playing all of them at one time or another, but I've always passed because I have no idea what I'd do with them.

--> Jetfire. I've almost played him two or three times, but I always stop myself when I realize that I don't actually like Jetfire and I'd just be picking him up because he looks cool. Same goes for Sky Lynx, really.

--> Ultra Magnus. I love Ultra Magnus but I don't have the slightest idea how to think like Ultra Magnus, which would make roleplaying him very, very hard.

--> Triggerhappy, because as much as I love him I know I'd get bored of him in a month and stop playing him.

--> Quick Switch. I love what's been done with him in the game in the past, but I can't take him seriously because all six of his modes are garishly-coloured bricks.

--> Bludgeon. He's one of my favourites and I always wanted to play him, but I never really got around to it because I wasn't sure where he'd fit into the game (his history confused me). And when I finally figured something out, I logged onto the Archive to find that Heinrad had beaten me to him by less than an hour.
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

I've had this same kind of thing happen quite a bit. But not because I have to many character but because the characters I want I probably wouldn’t be able to play well enough.

Skydive- is at the top of my list of characters that I had wanted to pick up. But I didn’t because I didn’t know where I would start him off and if I could play his character right. That and I don’t think many of the other Aerial Bots are being played right now.

Vanquish- When I saw this guy I was really amped to pick him up, he looked cool, he has a really cool name and he’s a spy. But then a found out that he isn’t a normal transformer and that I would probably need to pick up Fireshot as well and I really couldn’t be bothered picking him up.

Sunstorm- He is pretty awesome what with being radioactive and thinking he’s a god and all. I have no clue why I haven’t tried picking him up. I could probably play that character too.

Wheeljack- It is essentially the same story as Skydive not sure if I could play him properly he seemed like a really hard character to get right.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Hmm... well there are quite a few characters that I had to pass on, but mostly because my core list is full already :lol:

Volks: The Mexican minibot is still high on my list and I'm sure that eventually I'll play him, but for now I have to wait until I'm either bored with one on my current list or if the staff will let me pick an eigth' character :p

Razor Claw: The second one that's high on my list. The way I view him, he has a sense of nobility and knows what respect is. Playing him without the other Predacons active is just not going to work for me though and I doubt I'm allowed to pic an entire gestalt team :p

Wheeljack: I would have this guy tinkering all kinds of stuff and have him always being busy in a lab, but sadly I'm a little lost when it comes to technobabble so playing him wouldn't really work.

Bluestreak: I love this character and I really love to play him, but he has quite a rich history in the RPG and since I have a few characters with a rich history already, I had to pass.

Guzzle: Totally LSOTW inspired.

Punch/Counter-Punch: For some reason, this character appeals to me, but I wouldn't really know how to play his character. He would work really well in what's currently going on though in the RPG I think.

Ultra Magnus: Love the guy, would love to play the guy, but I wouldn't know how to play a guy that's sometimes in the position to carry the same level of responsibilities that Optimus Prime does.

Bug-Bite: Pretty much the same deal with Wheeljack. Plus his former user kinda made him an enemy of everybody so good luck trying to get out of that one! :lol:

Dead End: Constantly complaining about things that'll doom him is fun! But only for a month or so and then I'll be bored with him.
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

Warcry wrote:--> Ultra Magnus. I love Ultra Magnus but I don't have the slightest idea how to think like Ultra Magnus, which would make roleplaying him very, very hard.
Likewise, yet I wound up playing him for a short while because he was necessary to a plot. He's a very hard character to grip.

Hey wait a minute, weren't you the one who asked me to do him? :eyebrow:
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I find it amusing that three people each have professed their love for Magnus, Skydive and Wheeljack, but no one has tried to play them in years...
miked23 wrote:Vanquish
What, you don't fancy playing someone who transforms into the rear half of an SR-71?
Springer85 wrote:Volks
You win the thread. :up:
Springer85 wrote:Punch/Counter-Punch: For some reason, this character appeals to me, but I wouldn't really know how to play his character. He would work really well in what's currently going on though in the RPG I think.
I've always thought that he'd be a good fit, but it seems like everyone who tries to play the guy disappears after a week or two.
Aero Blade wrote:Hey wait a minute, weren't you the one who asked me to do him? :eyebrow:
I don't recall asking... ;)
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

Originally Posted by Warcry
I find it amusing that three people each have professed their love for Magnus, Skydive and Wheeljack, but no one has tried to play them in years...
I suppose it is pretty funny how three people have said they want to play these character but none of them have picked them up. It would probably be a good time to pick one up one of these characters up especially now that I know at least two other people are interested in them.

Originally Posted by Warcry
What, you don't fancy playing someone who transforms into the rear half of an SR-71?
Clearly, why would I only want to play half a transformer? :lol:
If I could play him without haveing to pick up Fireshot I would probably do it, but it just wouldn't seem right playing Vanquish with out his partner.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Ah, Gunrunner! I forgot to list Gunrunner! I love that guy's toy bio and MTMTE profile, and vaguely remembered claiming him only to change minds at the last moments to grab Windcharger instead. He's awesome, you know. He had his entire team murdered and now acts like a superhero in reverse.

Plus I've considered playing Blot and/or Skalor at one point.

And Rewind. The trivia king! I love him I love him I love him. I had also considered sniping for Getaway or Blitzwing at one point, but didn't get around to it.

And Breakdown, after playing War for Cybertron. I had this sudden urge to swap Barricade or Bonecrusher for Breakdown, but thankfully I was sane enough to resist it.
Chip1123
Protoform

Post by Chip1123 »

My list I've considered from time to time:

Ultra Magnus - Another of my favorites, but was unsure of how best to play him, esp the Administrative duties he gets involved with. Just not sure how best to approach those areas in the RPG. I usually end up staying away from higher ranking characters I'd like to play including Jazz, Springer, and Blaster due to this.

Getaway - seemed like he would be fun to play. May consider him in the future. just never got around to it before.

Downshift - when I was reading over him, he was already claimed.

Rapido - he was/is claimed. One of my favorites when growing up, always thought he would be fun.

Siren - Claimed already.

There have been more, that would require me to scan through the list, which I don't have time to do at the moment. :)
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Warcry wrote:I find it amusing that three people each have professed their love for Magnus, Skydive and Wheeljack, but no one has tried to play them in years...
Well, if I was going to play Wheeljack, it would mean spending even more time on Google and Thesaurus.com trying to translate stuff. I already have to do that sometimes when replying to posts. :lol:
Warcry wrote:You win the thread. :up:
Awesome :clap:
Warcry wrote:I've always thought that he'd be a good fit, but it seems like everyone who tries to play the guy disappears after a week or two.
I had trouble figuring out how he would relay his intel without blowing his cover. Communicating over a frequency can easily blow his cover if a Decepticon's paying attention. The "Bullets" part from LSOTW has an interesting way of relaying intel from a spy. It actually moved Punch up my "wanting to play" list :D
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Oddly, there hasn't been many characters I have passed over. Most characters I've wanted - including personal favorites - I ended up with in the end (Ratchet, Prowl, and Doubledealer come to mind). Generally, it's been ideas that I've passed over rather than the characters themselves.

The "Monstructor Six": I had this silly idea - as I often do - that involved the Monster Pretenders in the now-defunct Stanix thread. I don't recall the full extent of these plans, which is probably a good thing, just that I wanted them aligned with Megadeath...somehow. Slog, in particular, interested me. His "art" - composed from the limbs of Megadeath's victims - would've decorated the the halls of Fort Scyk. This didn't happen.

I also wanted to give Cyclonus' crew something else to worry about. Instead, I opted to create an NPC (named "Sorge") to serve as a makeshift Monstructor.

Impactor: I've considered Impactor for awhile now, but I just can't come up with a decent premise to introduce the guy into the RPG. He's better left to someone else, I think.

Ultra Magnus: Yeah, I'll jump on board the Ultra Magnus bandwagon, too. Perhaps not for the same reasons as others have stated, though. Before he left the RPG, Stone Cold Skywarp had a few things planned for Magnus. If I recall correctly, he basically wanted to characterize him as the lone solider/intergalactic space cop. He would've popped up in the Altihex thread. I wanted to follow up on that, but lost the motivation/desire to.