Ye Olde Doctor Who Thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Was BSG in the time-frame covered?
The second half of season 4 aired between January and March 2009. The Next Doctor (Christmas 2008) was a nominee, so I'd say those episodes are almost certainly eligible.

The Caprica pilot is a good shout though (The Plan less so). The tv version may not have aired until 2010, but the extended cut was available from April 2009.

Must get round to actually watching the series at some point.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Halfshell wrote: The Caprica pilot is a good shout though (The Plan less so). The tv version may not have aired until 2010, but the extended cut was available from April 2009.
I just threw The Plan out as something they could have nominated in at least a token way to try and make up for never having given the best show on TV any recognition. Though I suppose it (and possibly the Caprica pilot?) would be too long to count as "Shortform". Possibly. though considering Who two parters have won in the past... Perhaps there is no logic to it?

I never thought I would be more embarrassed for someone who used to be famous than when Paul Darrow did mobility scooter ads, but Colin Baker has just taken the [chocolate] biscuit with this ad campaign he's just signed up for (and yep, these are genuine, unless Colin's official website is in on the gag. The woman is apparently Joan Collins' daughter):

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4705 ... ard20p.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6493 ... oard20.jpg

The thinking there is barking. "Lets do an Avengers spoof advert, with the guy who was the unpopular Doctor Who, who looks nothing like Patrick Macnee and is a bit too fat to work in an advert for a healthy eating bar so we'll have to photoshop him. What can go wrong? Especially if we have him starting to squat in one pic as if he's getting reading for a big shit".

Blake's 7 Update: Bloody hell, a show this cheap doesn't just reuse the stock shot of Terminal but creates an entirely new one of a completely different looking and shaped planet? If they had they might have had some money left to make the monster a head rather than grabbing a Sea Devil off the shelf. I was misremembering Cally having a body double for her death as well, just a voice...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ten minutes into Time and the Rani.

Er. Okay then.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Don't worry, it gets better.

No, wait. I meant to say "Don't worry, Paradise Towers is better". You're pretty much stuck for now. Keep eyes peeled for two episodes of McCoy trying on strange costumes!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

At least he was punning during it...
inflatable dalek

Kate O'Mara makes a better Mel than Bonnie Langford does.

Damn you Halfshell and your fancy pants early Amazon delivery, I have to wait till Monday to immerse myself in it. One thing I wish they had done is something similar to what they did with the last episode of Trial where they had Nicola Bryant do a little mini commentary on the scene resolving her death (which she hadn't seen before, her reaction to the pink heart was priceless). It would have been interesting to hear Colin's response to the regeneration.

Whilst I suppose there's nothing to say that in the 50 billion years worth of adventures he's supposed to have had since the last episode (according to all the spin offs) the 6th Doctor hasn't lost a lot of weight, shrinking in height is pushing it. Couldn't they have just gotten a Colin body double in for that shot?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

A double pulse?

Exsqueeze me?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's probably because they all seem to take pulses with their thumbs. I really wouldn't worry about logic, common sense and that sort of thing, or the last episode will explode your head.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Disengage brain, look at the bright colours.

Gotcha.

It's like Claws of Axos but without the central character being a cock.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:It's probably because they all seem to take pulses with their thumbs.
It's only the Doctor who does that (in this one) isn't it? Perhaps it's one of his strange Time Lord powers?

Halfshell wrote:Disengage brain
If only the Rani had done that.

I actually like the costume change bit. Partly because it's rather nice he doesn't instantly change his clothes but sticks in the old costume for a bit (shame it was that costume though...), partly because it's rather sweet, partly because O'Mara's face is priceless throughout but mainly because of the Doctor's dirty old man flasher moment when he reveals his new clothes.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:Disengage brain, look at the bright colours.

Gotcha.

It's like Claws of Axos but without the central character being a cock.
Nail meets head. It's basically rubbish, but rubbish with surprisingly good effects.
inflatable dalek

Yep, the only real weak link effects wise is the Tardis getting shot down at the start, and that's only because the clip of her in flight in the title sequence almost instantly blows it out the water (I really like the McCoy credits, never understood the stick they get. Even the logos fine, especially compared to what we've had recently).
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Okay, now there's a big bright alien brain and some blurry overlaying vfx. This actually is just Claws of Axos again isn't it?

I have no clue what the plot is anymore. And I don't think that's due to turning it off halfway through part 3, going out, then resuming again this morning.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's co-written by a grown man who willingly goes by the name Pip. This should be a clue.
inflatable dalek

Paradise Towers is the only one in that season I've got no real time for, not because it's hugely bad (it's certainly more competent than Time and the Rani) but that it's just a bit forgettable over all (the stuff that would stand out in any other season doesn't here because it's in the middle of a run full of ex sitcom stars hamming it up and Bonnie Langford screaming at things). Except when Richard Briars is on screen when it becomes memorable for all the wrong reasons. Though it's worrying Mel is the second companion we get to see in her bathing costume.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:It's co-written by a grown man who willingly goes by the name Pip. This should be a clue.
Pip Baker is a man????

**** me.

I always just assumed it was a pair of sisters or something.
inflatable dalek

They're the husband and wife superteam. Pip as in the Dicken's character, his father was a huge huge fan of old Chuck apparently.

See them here being slagged off to their faces by the man who two decades later would write 42 ("A story set on a spacehip is the sort of trap people expect Doctor Who to fall into"), the Return of the Silly-urians and the Cyberwoman episode of Torchwood :"It could have been slightly better written" . The fact the presenter has no pretense of nutrality and basically leads the conversation as "It's shit" sums up the Beebs attitude at the time. When I first saw this on the Trial DVD I actually came away liking the Bakers more, they took it on the chin better than I would. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irIqTPQqgvQ
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek

You know, I'd have sworn blind Time and the Rani opened with the "Sixth Doctor" running around the console franticly as the Tardis gets shot down before falling to the floor. How the memory cheats. I did like the Easter egg where they used CGI to stick Colin in the regeneration though.

Still hugely enjoyed it though, probably not for any of the reasons the writers were aiming for mind. And interestingly the Doctor's "Who's that?" reaction to his appearance was recycled for Matt Smith.

Does anyone else get the feeling Pip'N'Jane hated Mel? You've got Kate O'Mara's bang on piss take, her getting tied up and dragged along like she's part of a CBBC S&M game, the Doctor Mexican wrestling her and the immortal "I've had enough of this drivel".
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:You know, I'd have sworn blind Time and the Rani opened with the "Sixth Doctor" running around the console franticly as the Tardis gets shot down before falling to the floor.
Well considering that's entirely what I was expecting, you can imagine how confused I was.

McCoy's "who's that" is considerably dafter than Smith's, considering he's actually looking in a mirror at the time. Smith at least has the excuse that it's somebody disguising themself as him.