War for Cybertron Toy Discussion

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

TFVanguard wrote:I think that if we tried to do an RID-like line now, most people would complain. Why? Most of the RID was simply redecos of older toys with only a handful of new-design toys.

So imagine a line of around 60 toys now where here's all your new figures:
Optimus Prime
Ultra Magnus
Three Deluxe Autobots
Four Spychanger Autobots
Megatron
Railracer
Landfill

A little unfair? How about throwing in a few toys from last year's failed toyline (including several which weren't even fit for release THEN?)
Optimus Primal
Jhiaxus
Storm Jet
Bruticus
Obsidian
Autobot Three Pack
Megabolt
Megatron Megabolt

Redecos from the line before that?
Sky Byte
Predacon Three Pack
Cryotek

Redecos from nearly ten years before?
Scourge
Scourge (Destructicon)
Dreadwing / Smokejumper
Bludgeon
Axer vs. Sideways
10 Autobot Spychangers
Four Flipchangers
Megastorm (Korea)
Autorollers (Korea)

Let's go even further back for a combiner team and a city-former that doesn't have modern standards of design and articulation?
Ruination
Fortress Maximus

Now, that we're all done, let's redeco just about every toy in the line at least once (or several times, in the case of the Spychangers). This is what Robots in Disguise really was. The reason the line did so well was because it's was done on the cheap. I can't even imagine the hue and cry if the main Transformers line now was done like this... I think the internet would explode or something.
True for sure, but...

The ones that aere produced newly, were the ones I got and also the best ones. If I refer to a line, I never mean to talk about the repaints and such, but ony about the new line...
That part of the line, was and still is great, I mean, Omega Prime was a true monster of a combiner, which was topheavy, sadly enough, but the transformation on it's own was worth it. I would love seeing such a monster reappear in the lines of Hasbro... Or even Megatron, I mean a ten-former!
That guy's probably my favorite TF of all time.

Besides, for a childish-villian, Sky-Byte was waay more funny then Blitzwing and Lugnut could ever wish to be.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

I'm actually showing some agreement with Warcry's point. Remember, RID only had a handful of new molds when you think about it. Every line since had a number of good molds, but there were a LOT of 'get it the hell out of the door' molds as wel, and as the line expands (out of demanded volume) the standards are lowered somewhat just so the toys can ship.

RID had so many 'good' toys in the line that were new because they only had a few new molds to begin with. Everything else was padding.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

I'll probably pick up Optimus and BB... Not to impressed with Megs or Soundwave though...
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

TFVanguard wrote:I'm actually showing some agreement with Warcry's point. Remember, RID only had a handful of new molds when you think about it. Every line since had a number of good molds, but there were a LOT of 'get it the hell out of the door' molds as wel, and as the line expands (out of demanded volume) the standards are lowered somewhat just so the toys can ship.
This isn't entirely a bad thing, though. Although it does mean that some of the toys that get released should never have seen the light of day (hello, Universe Cheetor), it also means that they're more willing to entertain ideas that never would have passed muster a few years ago. For example, when Classics was being planned the Hasbro suits rejected Cosmos outright. But when Universe rolled around not only did we get a new Cosmos toy but new toys for four or five other random Minibots. Likewise, I don't think a lot of the more out-there ROTF toys would have even been considered during the first Movie line. They didn't even make a proper toy of Frenzy, after all, but ROTF gave us Scalpel and Ejector. I doubt Bludgeon, Lockdown or Ransack would have made it off of the drawing board either, and they all turned out to be very well-received toys.

It that sense I think the increased number of figures on the shelves has been a good thing, even if it results in the occasional Galvatron or Cheetor or Dirt Boss or Stratosphere.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

And I think even to name Galvatron, Cheetor, and the like as "toys that never should have seen the light of day" is a bit unfair. Somewhere out there, there's a person for whom those are their favorite toys. Doesn't mean they're great, but it doesn't mean they're not worth production just because they don't fit one person's idea of "awesome". I personally like Universe Galvatron quite a bit, and I'm glad it got made. I'm sure some of the toys I dislike (Armada Thrust) someone would argue are fantastic.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

And that counts for nearly all toys, except for BW Blastcharge.

I did some research a fewhours ago, abd then I concluded that I only own molds of RiD that were new.
That's why I live in the impression that the whole line is great, which can't even be true of course..

Now, let's head back to topic, before this discussion takes the thread over...
Batmanners
Protoform

Post by Batmanners »

Last thing about the RID gripe.

Scourge.

Best OP redeco IMO. Also my favorite thing from the RID line. It's even better than the Masterpiece Ultra Magnus in terms of OP repaints.

EDIT: I said redeco, meant repaint. Sorry.
Catalyst Dragon

And Scourge is still the only figure from the RiD line I lack...

I got Optimus and BB from the TRU site the other day.

Megs and Soundwave don't impress me but I'll be getting them for completion sake.

Optimus is a great figure, he's just small. He looks especially small when sitting besides Bumblebee in alt mode. He's got good articulation and can be put in a good number of poses. Right now I got him in the pose from the game cover, the 360 cover.
His gun looks ok, and it's little transformation bit is cool, however, it's quite flimsy and seems easily broken.

Bumblebee is a good figure as well, although he's my least favorite of the two.
He's leg articulation is good, but his arms(shoulder and elbows) tend to get caught on his backpack. Unlike Optimus BB's pistol is storeable in robot mode. and not fragile.

One of my main gripes is that the guns don't look like their in-game counterparts... I think it would have been cool for the figures to have their weapons transform from their arms like the game... but oh well.
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

Just picked up a few at toys r us.

Seaspray is a very nice, solid figure. Huffer is okay not sure on caliburst yet. Thrust looks great, Ironhide is a fun smaller verison. Optimus and Bumblebee are great.
Batmanners
Protoform

Post by Batmanners »

Out of curiosity, I see Bumblebee and Optimus readily available on EBay; When should Soundwave and Megatron be available?

I don't like Meg's Vehicle mode...too "nothing". But they did Soundwave right.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Batmanners wrote:Out of curiosity, I see Bumblebee and Optimus readily available on EBay; When should Soundwave and Megatron be available?

I don't like Meg's Vehicle mode...too "nothing". But they did Soundwave right.
Soonish. They are Wave 2 of Generations, I believe. Wave 1 just hit.

I'll also note that one "Revision" of Wave 1 is nothing but WFC Optimus and Bumblebees...4 of each to a case. They where supposed to come out the same week/day as WFC to help promote the game but seems like they got lost in the shuffle.
Catalyst Dragon

I really hope we get a Zeta Prime figure. That would be awesome.

Of course what would be really awesome is Omega Supream and Trypticon figures.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:I really hope we get a Zeta Prime figure. That would be awesome.
You know what would be BLAM! awesome? A new KA-POW! good Warpath figure. ;-)
Batmanners
Protoform

Post by Batmanners »

Yes, Omega Supreme and Trypticon WFC figures would be awesome.

They pulled off a perfect Omega Supreme. I loved it so much I didn't want to kill it. But it was worth it when
SPOILER! (select to read)
Omega Supreme was covered in Dark Energon. I found that although Trypticon's defeat was quite difficult, I didn't feel like I killed him
The one I want as a toy is Arcee. I hate that somewhere she became a salmon colored motorcycle (Animated Arcee and Energon Arcee) I can't find a 1985 movie figure anywhere, while it's what she is recognized as, so I hope they plan on making her.
Batmanners
Protoform

Post by Batmanners »

Here's what I really hope the WFC Omega Supreme will look like.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... eme/19089/
Catalyst Dragon

Trypticon can be a difficult fight, but honestly I find the Omega fight to be the harder of the two. The Omega fight seems to take quite a bit longer for me as well...

But what I find the hardest is trying to get the insignia icons during those fights, each arena has 5 of the things hidden in it. and the Autobot symbols during the Omega fight seem to require the most work to accuire.
Batmanners
Protoform

Post by Batmanners »

Yeah, but if you're smart, you're playing co-op. The game in indefinitely better, albeit harder, in co-op. I did the Decepticon campaign alone solo and found the game meh. Then I did the Autobot campaign with a buddy and had a blast. We're replaying it on hard getting all the icons. For the Omega fight, one of us distracted Omega while the other looked for icons.
Catalyst Dragon

I've truly wanted to play coop, I even have two friends lined up to do it... the problem is: that of the three of us, I'm the only one with a copy, we're all broke, and I don't have internet access at home in the first place...

So it's not happening atm... until I find a better job, I won't have net, and until my friends get there own copys, I don't know anyone to play with.

oh well, I've been playing multiplayer at one of there houses when I can, and I've had quite a bit of fun on my 3 runs through the campaigns.

I'm currently letting one of them barrow the game to complete the story on there profile so we can use the fembots in Mp.
Batmanners
Protoform

Post by Batmanners »

Somehow the MP doesn't appeal to me, neither Team Death or Escalation/Horde Mode. I will probably end up trying it for real, but so far I have no inclination to play it.

I think it's because I have played so much CoD:MW2 and am used to killing whatever I see when I want to kill it. I end up getting frustrated when I start shooting someone and they have time to turn around and kill me before I do enough damage to kill them... Even more frustrating is meleeing them, and they survive, and then they kill you... I hate FPS' so it's no surprise that I can't seem to get into it.

On an unrelated note, Zeta Prime would be an epic toy. I just hope they don't end up making the three seekers and not Zeta. I have no more room for that damn trio anymore.
Catalyst Dragon

I realized that my last post was somewhat off topic...

One thing I really wish the designers had implemented with the figures is: Having their weapons transform from their arms like in the game.

Or having detachable fists with gun accessories... That way the series would be even more of a G1 throwback.

hmm... maybe I'll start some of my own mods for this...