[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sades wrote:I've been playing Not Harvest Moon (Story of Seasons) a lot, mainly at bedtime. It's okay. I like the chickens. Just got to the Safari Zone and I don't like their mining system. I'll decide when I've had enough mining, dammit!
How've you been coming along with Pokemon Shuffle? I haven't played it in a long while, mostly since I've gotten my PS4.

On that note, I haven't gotten anything new, but every now and then when I have some time, I've been playing a little Arkham Knight. Man, it's a really polished game. Fluid, fun, and enjoyable. I had a hankering to play some Destiny tonight, but there was a whopper of an update to download, so Batman it was! Relax time well spent... :D

Oh, and the disc drive seems to be working fine now. My wife's DVD had some fingerprint smudges on it, and after cleaning those it's been working like a charm. Knock on wood.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I've been trying to figure out why my PS3 is leaving a scratched ring on the top (label side) of all the discs I put in. I've used some canned air to try to blow off anything that might be hanging down, but no luck. It's kind of annoying to the point that I don't want to put discs into it, which is tricky since it's the only blu-ray player we have.

All the online info that I've found says that it's just a ring of dust that wipes off, but mine clearly does not.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Notabot wrote:I've been trying to figure out why my PS3 is leaving a scratched ring on the top (label side) of all the discs I put in. I've used some canned air to try to blow off anything that might be hanging down, but no luck. It's kind of annoying to the point that I don't want to put discs into it, which is tricky since it's the only blu-ray player we have.

All the online info that I've found says that it's just a ring of dust that wipes off, but mine clearly does not.
Some results I've dug from a quick search suggest that it could be a result of the system being moved while running or something in general being out of alignment.

My suggestions would be either contact Sony support and see what they say/can do or (if you've owned the system long enough for it to be out of warranty) crack the sucker open and see if anything looks weird. Should be plenty of videos and pics floating around you can use for reference.

EDIT: Two other ideas I tumbled across.
If you've got the system sitting vertically, try laying it flat and see if the problem persists.
One last ditch option if you're really worried about it or if it keeps scratching things, back up your saves and what not and trade it in at Gamestop or somewhere for a fresh one.
Sades

Post by Sades »

ganon578 wrote:How've you been coming along with Pokemon Shuffle? I haven't played it in a long while, mostly since I've gotten my PS4.
Doing okay, I think, I still play at least once a week. I've kind of stalled out at level 130 (Ampharos) on the regular stages as my focus has been mostly on the Expert stages to scoop up a couple of Legendaries, but I've only managed to capture up to Lucario.

I'd like to participate in the online tourneys and not suck... :p I've placed a couple of times with main stage Pokemon, but the top scorers all seem to use Legendaries and I don't play often enough to guarantee that my high score with main stage Pokemon will carry me through to place high enough for goodies. I've gotten it in my head that getting a few of those "special" Pokemon might help. Dunno if it's true, but it certainly can't hurt.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Just got an Xbox One and Dragon Age: Inquisition for it and man it looks awesome on Xbox One, especially Skyhold.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Finished Need For Speed: Rivals, gone back to Borderlands 2 for a bit just to level up a couple of characters, but I will be starting on Aliens: Colonial Marines next week.

Also, I decided to buy Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS4 a couple of days after I bought The Old Blood.
Destruction is my specialty
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Pretty excellent week, as my Ganondorf and Zero Suit Samus amiibo showed up today in the mail, and I made an astonishing grab of Super Mario Maker at no cost (trades) brand new! Mario Maker is fantastically good fun, and both amiibo are incredibly well detailed. Very pleased indeed!

Saw the Olimar amiibo in Walmart and couldn't grab with with all the other purchases. Looks fantastic though!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Playing Aliens: Colonial Marines currently and it is more on the bad side, bad voice acting, bad a.i (both enemy and friend), bad graphics.

This is a public service announcement against this game, even Duke Nukem Forever which has a similar but longer history, is better than this.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Nothing incredibly spectacular lately, but I downloaded New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the eShop this week while I was out of town for a conference. Good time killer and excellent level design. Nothing earth (or Mushroom Kingdom) shattering though.

I have also been able to tinker with Super Mario Maker as well... simply a fine game. The most enjoyable part so far has been the ability to design levels for my 5 & 3 year olds to play without throwing too much in their direction. They're learning to jump and walk around while not facing death by goomba, koopa, or pitfalls every 2 seconds. My 5 year old is getting quite good, and my 3 year old is learning the controls quickly. I've been able to slowly ratchet up the difficulty over time. :)

Also used some trades at my local shop for a 1-year PS+ membership for my PS4. Pretty excited to get online with my buddy and play some Destiny when we find some time. :up:
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ganon, that is fantastic; custom Dad-made Mario levels. That's +1 parenting, very cool :)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Auntie Slag wrote:Ganon, that is fantastic; custom Dad-made Mario levels. That's +1 parenting, very cool :)
Thanks! It's incredibly gratifying when my littlest gets the 'move & jump' deal at the same time. Other times he jumps in place because he's forgotten to move. But he's learning. :)

The other night I moved my 5 year old onto a swimming level and she did fantastic. The hard part is getting her to remember to keep tapping the swim button as fast as she can!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Dragon Age: Inquisition and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition for Xbox One and I must say DA:I really looks awesome.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A buddy of mine came over last weekend and I got a chance to play a couple games I don't own: Mortal Kombat X and Madden 16 on the PS4. MKX is fun, but quite a button masher. Though I don't know if that was the game itself or just our lack of skills. Madden 16 is, well, Madden. Same stuff every year, with tweaks to whatever physics engine the programming group deems in need of adjustment. I love American football, but I can't bring myself to drop $60 each year on a new iteration when really, it's just a roster update. Overall fun gaming night though, as we closed out the night by co-oping some Diablo III. Good stuff.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've just started the Winter chapters on The Last Of Us and I have to say the combat/stealth sections are intense!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

MASSIVE BUMMER. Dropped my fancy gold & black Zelda ALBW 3DS XL last night, right onto the hard kitchen tile. The outside looked good, the inside looked fine, up until I turned it on. It functions just fine, but the 3D screen was cracked inside, leading to some color bands throughout the screen. :( Guess I'll be sending that one in to Nintendo for repair, which will probably run ~$90.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Ahh, that's tough. I've got the same one (SAMESIES ERMAHGERD), and I'd be so sad if I dropped it that hard.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sades wrote:Ahh, that's tough. I've got the same one (SAMESIES ERMAHGERD), and I'd be so sad if I dropped it that hard.
Hah! Yeah, I'm hoping they can just replace the screen (they should have those lying around, I reckon) and not pull some weird "Well, we don't just replace screens, so we'll send you this boring black refurbished one instead and transfer your data" deals. That would anger me. Knowing Nintendo's track record with these kinds of things though, all should be well.
Sades

Post by Sades »

ganon578 wrote:Hah! Yeah, I'm hoping they can just replace the screen (they should have those lying around, I reckon) and not pull some weird "Well, we don't just replace screens, so we'll send you this boring black refurbished one instead and transfer your data" deals. That would anger me. Knowing Nintendo's track record with these kinds of things though, all should be well.
:up: Yep. You buy the special edition because you want the special edition. :lol:

Speaking of which, I got curious and googled "DS XL Special Edition". I had no idea there were so many, jeebus. :o It's ridiculous, I already have one, they're stupid expensive and they all do the same thing, but the consumer in me is all twitterpated and some junk over all of these different style options. If mine ever enters an un-repairable state I may have to try and track down a "Monster Hunter 4 - Gore Magala Black" version

(edit: or not- doesn't seem to be a NA release of the thing. Sad Panda. Unless I'm just not looking in the right places, ehh).

Orrrr the Hyrule Gold edition that's coming out. It's so shiny.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Finished the Winter chapters on TLOU, now I'm on the third last chapter on the game. I'm on the final stretch now. About 93% complete.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sades wrote::up: Yep. You buy the special edition because you want the special edition. :lol:

Speaking of which, I got curious and googled "DS XL Special Edition". I had no idea there were so many, jeebus. :o It's ridiculous, I already have one, they're stupid expensive and they all do the same thing, but the consumer in me is all twitterpated and some junk over all of these different style options. If mine ever enters an un-repairable state I may have to try and track down a "Monster Hunter 4 - Gore Magala Black" version

(edit: or not- doesn't seem to be a NA release of the thing. Sad Panda. Unless I'm just not looking in the right places, ehh).

Orrrr the Hyrule Gold edition that's coming out. It's so shiny.
Yeah, there are literally dozens out there. It makes some sense then, that Nintendo made interchangeable faceplates for the New 3DS regular edition. Then you can swap whatever you want, without being tied to any one particular hard-to-find system.

Well, if Nintendo swapped my system with any others, the Hyrule Gold Edition one would be acceptable. It's got a nice finish and the free upgrade to the 'New' edition of the 3DS XL would be OK.