POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Denyer »

Hound wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:40 am
Denyer wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:54 am Did you see this the other week? -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WPww-U69Q
Holy shit! Oh man that is amazing! I am so jealous. I wish I had the skill, time and resources to pull something like that off.

I've got to step up my game with how I choose to transform my TFs.
Load of additional pics been posted here --

https://www.facebook.com/DaimChocReport ... 9528073758
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Kingdom Wingfinger

The Fossilizers are be best thing Hasbro has done in years, a fresh idea executed in a creative way but one that also feels completely at home in the wider Beast Wars milieu.

I think Wingfinger is probably the most dynamic action figure out of the four. Being as skinny as it is certainly helps, but the whole thing is also just a mess of joints. I especially appreciate the range on the ball-joint wrists, which are great for wielding his swords. The scrawny robot mode looks pretty sad in package, but it's a lot of fun once you get it out. The beast mode is nice too, and it's really easy to see why they made this one a Maximal. The pterodactyl skull just looks so cheerful!

I had a go at combining the three partsformy ones, but it's even more obvious with all three of them in hand that Hasbro didn't catch on to how popular it was to combine these modular figures until it was too late. They did include a second head with Wingfinger to use when combined with the others, which is nice. But even though Wingfinger reuses some of Paleotrex's joints, the three dinos' parts really aren't all that compatible with one another. You can make it work, but the results are pretty wobbly and not much fun to play with.
Tantrum wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:00 amFangry is, I'm sorry to tell you Warcry, adequate. He's not worth tracking down and paying for an exclusive set with 3 other figures you may not want. Nor is he bad enough that you're not missing out if you don't get him. He's a decent figure who looks good in both modes.
That's what I was hoping to hear! Honestly, he didn't look like much once higher-quality pics of the set started showing up. I'm still annoyed at them on principle, though.
Heinrad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:38 pmThen Hasbro released what appears to be the Japanese Legends versions as Walmart exclusives for our Four Warriors from the sky, only lacking the mini-vehicles they came with in Japan. And because reality hates me, Chromedome never showed up around here.
I wonder sometimes why Walmart bothers getting exclusives that they never intend to stock. I haven't seen a single Headmaster in my local stores, most of the G1 reissues bigger than a Minibot have been no-shows, 3/4s of the Netflix stuff has been impossible to find and I've seen a single, solitary Beast Wars reissue. My understanding is that it's a bit better in the US, but up here each store gets maybe one case of any given exclusive. Other times, they just set aside the shelf space and never actually get the toys in at all.

I know the point of exclusives is just to get buyers in the door, but that only works if people believe you'll actually have some!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It's been kind of the same around here. We've done a bit better with the Netflix stuff, but I haven't seen any Beast Wars reissues, the only reissued Classic Headmasters(or whatever they're technically called) I saw were Hardhead and Highbrow, I think the last strictly G1 reissue I saw was Blaster..... I mean, I get it, having stock nobody wants to buy hurts the bottom line, but so does having no stock at all.

That being said, the entire toy aisle looks pretty bare right now. Apparently Kenner re-released the Real Ghostbusters Ecto-1, and the only reason I found out about it was for some reason YouTube felt I wanted to watch a review. That being said, YouTube also decided at some point that I want to live in a van. I could see an RV, maybe, but 'van life' is something I couldn't do. Where would I put all my Transformers?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Generations Selects Transmutate - Bought from EB Games, although the method to do so was different since some of Australia is in lockdown again, so I had to pay for it over the phone.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The universe obviously got tired of my bitching.

Beast Wars Reissue Rattrap

I found this guy while I was out grocery shopping. And I definitely can't say no to an MISB Beast Wars figure that I don't already own, not even when they're charging the already inflated Deluxe prices for a Basic. I mean, I'd probably pay twice that for a loose 90s Rattrap, so it's tough to get really worked up about it. I can definitely get worked up about the materials, though. The joints on this thing are probably looser than the average 90s one would be, and I think it's because Hasbro used different, modern plastic formulas that are less "grippy" than the plastics that the 90s stuff used for the same parts. It doesn't ruin the figure but I'll definitely have to treat the joints with some acrylic polish to tighten them up.

Beyond that, Rattrap's a cool little flipchanger. I've always had a soft spot for these guys -- one-steps that are easy for kids to transform, without compromising the fun factor in robot mode. And I loved the retro packaging, all the way down to the Kenner logos on the card.

And how have I gone this long as a Beast Wars fan without knowing that the original Rattrap toy's head was grey? :lol:
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Amongst far too many other to list (cos who wants to just read endless lists of things?!) comes this magnificent bastard toy!
Cang Toys Firmament (not Divebomb) wing span is nuckin' futs on this thing! Roughly 65cm at full stretch.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I've bought lots of stuff lately. Most of it has made me happy forever for a minute or two before the thrill wears off.

I had the earth-mode Sideswipe and birb Skywarp two pack show up yesterday. Sideswipe... I should sell. I don't care about him. I just wanted AMERICA BIRB, because the Airrazor mold is great. This version is an homage to the Beast Wars Magnaboss-Silverbolt/Skywarp. What that means is that even though it transforms differently than the original (being a remold of Airrazor after all), the new robot head still homages the old figure by having a bird hat. This is really daft and I love it.

EDIT: I was wrong--it's just the robot head that's different. Birb head and wings are the same.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

“It’s about freakin’ time! Ya finally got us a ship!” Rattrap looked at the orange spacecraft. “Th’ actual ship’s gonna be a lot bigger, right?”

Dinobot looked at the ship, then looked down at Rattrap. “I do not think this is what you were hoping for, Vermin.”

“What? Crew quarters, lots’a guns, big enough t’hold everybody. Well, once it gets built, anyway.”

“So you guys like it? I call it The Ark.” Wheeljack walked up to the pair, pointing at the ship. “Pretty good, huh.”

“Yeah. So when ya gonna build th’ real thing?”

“This is the real thing.”

“Say what?”

Wheeljack’s shoulder cannon locked onto Rattrap. “We’re going to go back to Cybertron. Get aboard.”

War for Cybertron Kingdom Ark: Thanks once again to BBTS - and again no thanks to FedEx - I now have The Ark. I have to say, I like it. It’s not perfect, it’s not going to get transformed to robot mode much, and it looks great in ship mode. Robot mode doesn’t look bad, but when you’re trying to pose it, the ratchet joints are really tight. And the first time I tried to transform it, pieces popped off. They were easy to clip back on, but it is kind of annoying. And Teletran 1 is really cool.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Ah, technical hiccups…..
Sades

Post by Sades »

I think I'm gonna get a Rattrap.

Hopefully this post will remind me that I wanted to get a Rattrap.

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:55 pm
Cang Toys Firmament (not Divebomb) wing span is nuckin' futs on this thing! Roughly 65cm at full stretch.

You have a toy I want. I don't like you anymore. :eyebrow:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Couple of bits from Toy-Fu arrived as a coda after going missing in the big packing exercise, the recent Crosshairs and a 2007 movie Spy Shot 6.

Speaking of cameras, new one. Image stabilisation, low light and the focus isn't broken on this one. It’s an LG G6 body (retail demo unit with no SIM hardware, 2017 model so they’re getting cleared out of storage and this was less than a sixteenth of what the handsets went for initially. It’s pretty easy to take the demo software off).

This is my take on giving Siege Crosshairs bigger wheels. It's not intended to keep the wheels as out of sight as the https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-i4QpFiJv4g mod. It also doesn't involve glue, although I do destroy a couple of pieces of LEGO which purists will probably object to. The parts create a firm connection whilst still being easily removable. Recipe follows pics: https://imgur.com/a/TvN9yxf

The wheels are 22mm ones https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... P=6118#T=C that fit Technic pins and fit inside the vehicle rims, also taking old-school studs https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... P=4073#T=C that you can get in red or dark red to suit your palette preferences. Neither matches the Crosshairs deco perfectly so the choice depends on whether you want a slightly more vintage look, which is what I used.

The back axles are formed from a couple of these https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... =61184#T=C pins plus a couple of these https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... =32002#T=C (which you'll want another three of in a minute) backed with two of these https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... =18654#T=C or you can cut one of these https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... =62462#T=C into two.

The front axle is a https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... =2714a#T=C with the bigger end clipped off and another ¾ pin. I went for those pins because they're slightly extended on the short side but don't have friction on their long side, so they hold position well but also allow the wheels to roll.

Finally there are two more ¾ pins inside the leg panels ready to hold the back wheels in robot mode. You can either have the wheels hang off his legs or on the front grille when it becomes a backpack.

When transformed to robot mode the panels don't clip perfectly due to the axles and you could probably shave parts down to achieve that if you wanted to whilst still having the wheels clip firmly.

I have to say I like the lunar rover (mining vehicle?) effect, I can imagine that cannon/hammer weapon as a repurposed rock blasting tool. Never having had the original, I can't say the lack of Pinpointer as a Targetmaster companion bothers me.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Sades wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:44 am You have a toy I want. I don't like you anymore. :eyebrow:
So what else is new! :laugh:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Shattered Glass Blurr - Picked up from EB Games, the figure and the packaging look nice but the box feels flimsy though.

War for Cybertron Trilogy/Buzzworthy Bumblebee "Worlds Collide" 4-pack - A boxset that so far has only been available at Toy Worlds.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:24 pm This is my take on giving Siege Crosshairs bigger wheels.
That's really cool and I like it. I know that when I started collecting, I was mostly on about scale models of real-world stuff like Alternators, but over the years I've come to love the generic sci-fi look of "SPACE-[noun]" of the 86-89 bots. It's... a nice imaginative place for me now.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I was the same as a kid, but I think it was heavily skewed by how crap the movie figures friends had were. The later era toys were a lot more interesting in retrospect with what's now mostly grouped under retro future, and I did quite enjoy the Micros, Pretenders, AMs, etc.

Not so much the space-racecars, but the big chunky expediency of tanks, shuttles, and flying... things has a lot of appeal.

As does the fact that Cybertronian modes were largely just imagination back in the day (Jazz and Bumblebee being the only ones who got them in TFU profiles) and even when Dreamwave were making a thing of them, and now they're common and even expected.

Did find some dark red studs immediately after that.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I has got some things in the post!

Hasbro 35th Anniversary Reissue Astrotrain
Not really on my priorities list, but it's in the original western toy colours and it was cheap, so yaaay.

Studio Series 86 Gnaw
Decent, but not perhaps as good as the Prime Wars version. The robot mode is excellent, with his blue moon boots and big belly, but the alt mode is a bit off. The proportions are there, but the legs are too far back, but I'm struggling to think how they could have been engineered better. Sculpt and everything else is spot on, but the Chibi-stylings of the earlier toy have this beat.

Studio Series 86 Wreck Gar
The robot mode on this is absolutely stunning. Looks fantastic, brilliant sculpt and design. Has superb articulation which puts the R.E.D. figures in the shade. Transformation is okay and the bike mode is... what you'd expect. It's like the '86 toy / Gobots Cy-Kill, so does look very much like a bloke doing Yoga and feels a bit wibbly as a result. I like it and all, but it feels a bit of a let down after the excellent robot mode.

Studio Series 86 Slag
This is going to sound strange, but Slag seems a bit big. I like having big beefy Dinos, but should they be bigger than Grimlock? At least in this size class, they can battle the POTP Predacons, for 'Grudge Match' funtimes. Transformation takes the original template and fancies it up a bit. Beast mode is nice, legs look a bit out of proportion (the front ones are bigger than the back) and I'm not fond of the hollow rear legs and horns, but it's not the end of the world. The loose bit of red plastic that appeared from nowhere might very well be, though. Like probably everyone else, I'm hopeful we'll get the other Dinobots, but unless Sludge is going to be Commander Class, he'll end up looking very undersized. Daniel's a piece of crap, but then he always has been.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

“MAKE JUNKION GREAT AGAIN!!!! STOP THE STEEL!!! IT’S ALL RODIMUS’ FAULT, HE STOLE THE MATRIX!!!!!!!”

Rattrap and Dinobot scrambled out of the way as a reddish-orange mechanism came charging down the corridor towards them, running past them and waving his arms around, hitting the end of the corridor and ducking around a corner.

In hot pursuit was Perceptor, who stopped next to Rattrap and Dinobot. “Ah. Have you seen-“

“Yeah. Th’ freakazoid went dat way an’ hooked a left. What’s his problem, anyway?”

“We tried an experiment by having him watch twenty four hours of one of the human news channels. Given how the Junkions react to Earth television, we were wondering what would happen. It may have been a mistake….”

The Transformers The Movie Studio Series ‘86 Wreck-Gar: The last time I got a Wreck-Gar was… geez, 2010 or so, and when I saw this guy out in the wild, I thought, “Why Not?” The only really loose joint on him is the ab crunch
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Kingdom Galvatron & Studio Series Grindor & Ravage - Took a chance on some 'Click & Collect' with Big W and came away with some doubles and these two new figures.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I'd just pulled Siege Crosshairs off the shelf, for the first time in months, about an hour before seeing Denyer's mods. My first though is have you considered using smooth tiles for the hubcaps instead of studded ones. But, these might actually looks better.

I'd grabbed Crosshairs because I wanted a large WfC Deluxe to compare to the small Voyager Optimus Primal. They're about the same height, but Primal has more going on in engineering.

I bought Kingdom Wheeljack yesterday. I passed on Earthrise because I already own several Wheeljacks, and planned on getting Exhaust so I'd have the mold. I'm still not sure why I bought this, as those arguments against Earthrise still hold. Maybe I wanted a consulation prize after not finding Thrust or Wrek-Gar. Maybe I was off having just gotten my flu shot. Still, it's a good mold, and I can give him Exhaust's shoulder cannon as well, for a G1-toy look. One of my 4 CW Wheeljacks is representing the character on my G1 Autobots shelf. I don't know if Kingdom will take his place.

I swapped the spider legs on my Blackarachnias, and both figures look much better in both modes. The bronze legs on mainline BA give her a more screen accurate look, and break up the large amounts of black used throughout the figure. The black legs on Worlds Collide BA do the opposite, bringing the garishness of the color palette down to a reasonable level. The bot arms now go black bicep, green elbow, bronze forearm, which goes matches the bot legs' black thigh, green kneecap, bronze calf.
Last edited by Tantrum on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... =98138#T=C

^ These? They'd still need studs under them, they're too wide to slot into the wheel holes. There are some other 1x1 plates that would insert, but they're mostly novelty parts; https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.a ... tString=28