POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Skyquake87 »

Some things wot I got (I missed the ToyFu funtimes as described above as I was out and about):

Siege Jetfire
I bloody love this! Equally impressive in its own way as the original Valkyrie toy. I was going to get the edgelord Shattered Glass version, but a nice cheap second hand one caught my eye (sorry, 'pre-loved' ...guhhh). It's big, has armour stuffs and a spinny Decepticon logo. Love all the moulded detail and the transformation and just how much fun he is. I could give two sh*ts he looks like Animation model, this is just a brilliant brilliant toy. And he's big.

Siege Springer
Sigh. Sometimes updating a 1980s design does you no favours at all. And so it is with Springer here. Robot mode is nice enough, but the alt-modes are just not great. The armoured car is the better of the two, but I'm not a fan of this looking like Energon Landmine's vehicle mode if you don't stick the treads and that on. It's all front end and withered looking back. Helicopter mode is just the car with some bits flipped out. Transformation is also a bit of an unnecessary fiddle and I'm just left feeling this isn't as good as the Generations toy. At least the battle damage paint apps are good, looking like actual scratched paint.

I saw in one of Thew's vids that Game has been stocking Transformers, so had a look and picked up:

Earthrise Slitherfang & Doublecrosser
Neat wee robots that turn into ramps. Not the most exciting things Transformers has ever done, but I do like the idea that even innocuous bits of road can be a robot in disguise. Both have nice unique designs, which I like.

Kingdom T-Wrecks
I remember having the original of this and loving the mad colours. He looked a bit of a doofus next to the other Beast Machines Dinobots, but this lad fits right in. Beast mode looks absolutely fantastic with the deep red and metallic purple. Robot mode is just a bit too grey and it's a shame Hasbro couldn't have thrown some paint on his torso (even if it was just some more silver paint to pick out the vents and whatnot).

Kingdom Battle Across Time Grimlock & Mirage Two-pack
Yay an exclusive I've been able to buy! Turned up a lot earlier than expected (and ahead of the other two-pack with Skywarp & Sideswipe). Grimlock is pretty awesome. The Dinobot mould is great anyway (apart from the silly dino flappy hands) and this is a lot better than expected. The black, white and bronze is very nice. Less keen on the odd placement of red on his sides. Tail/sword weapon looks better in colours that match the beast mode, which wins out over Dinobot's purple tipped tail. Mirage is okay, I guess. I'm just not excited for this guy so much. The retooling to get an Earth-based alt-mode is fair enough and does the job. Sculpting is nice, shame there's no way he can have his rocket launcher on his shoulder, but it's not the end of the world and makes for a beefy handheld weapon. Found transforming him a bit more of a faff than the Siege version, but I think that's my impatience!

Also had a go on a couple of those R.E.D. things. They're not too bad. The Entertainer had Soundwave and Optimus. They're just big Action Masters, really, aren't they? And that's no bad thing. Soundwave is a bit of a bobble head. Articulation on both is alright, but not as impressive as Hasbro's work on their other 6" Action figures. I'm not sure I like the rubbery feel of these either. I have really enjoyed mucking about with them and posing them up. Good fun,. if a baffling and unnecessary entry into the action figure landscape.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

"Doin' it here again, huh."

Yeah.

"You could'a at least brought th' figure. You eva try talkin' to th' Dark Lord'a th' Snoop?"

Not recently. Now shut up and let me do this.

Fans Hobby Nightbeat: Slightly delayed(I think he was supposed to ship in July), but I now have Nightbeat. Or "Nite Walker" as the box says. I'm still liking the overall design, although the joints were a lot stiffer than on Minerva. And I'm not sure how I feel about yellow feet. Other than that, he's great.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

"What th' slag is that thing? It's all kinda.... clear."

"And it is shorter than you are. Finally, there is someone even you can look down upon, Vermin."

"Now what makes ya say that, Choppaface? I look down on you all'a time."

New Age H7T Ironhide: Or McCoy. Which would be the name that worked a lot better for Ratchet. Either way, it's the transparent/translucent version. When I ordered it, I honestly wasn't certain if I was going to like it or not. The reviews looked good, but seeing the figure in videos, it just seemed..... off. The legs looked a little too thin. In hand, however? The figure is really good. The tolerances for the transformation hinges, on the other hand.... and I thought the joints on Nightbeat were too tight. On the up side, the more I move him around, the less the parts that really need to move for transformation seem like they're about to break. My one complaint now is that I can't get the figure to stand. Yes, it's got ankle hinges, but only to the side, so it can't really counterbalance forward. Other than that, I really like this figure.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I opened SS #72 Starscream today, the Tetrajet from Bumblebee. I can't decide if the altmode is so bad it's good, or just bad.

The legs tab into the backs of the shoulder pilons, but not where you'd expect them to. The legs have a bit of a bulge at the ankles for a hinge. You might think the angles of those bulges would wrap around the pilons so everything's flush. You might be wrong. The bulges rest against the ends of the back of the pilons, crating a gap between the rest of each leg and the pilons.

The feet just stick out the back underneath the thrusters, with random tech detailing on them. The thing is, these are the backs of the feet. They could've just made them look like more thrusters without affecting bot mode. The thrusters that do exist are at a downward angle, which is an unusual choice for a vehicle designed to fight gravity.

Both arms, and the outer portions of the torso, hang below the jet. This apparently wasn't enough mass to provide stability, so there's another column that sticks down. Only the back end of this column attaches to the fuselage, creating an awkward wedge shaped gap where they meet. The point of this column is to provide a third point of contact for the cannon that attaches to the underside of the jet, and provides more contact with the ground so the vehicle doesn't topple. Only the front end of the column attaches to the cannon, creating more awkwardness.

I've tried setting the vehicle down with the cannon detached, and with the cannon detached and the column unplugged. Both times is seemed OK. I've removed the column from the hinge pegs and it looks better. I'm pretty sure the column isn't needed for bot mode. It is helpful to ensure I've got the arms folded up correctly, as that's the only way to make all 3 tabs fit into the cannon.

Edit: My only issue with the bot mode is that the 5-mm holes in the wings don't hold the weapons in place very tightly. I guess Hasbro hasn't quite got this 5-mm hole thing worked out, yet.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Siege Rainmakers 3-Pack & RED Optimus Prime, Megatron and Soundwave.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I started making my way through the Worlds Collide set. First up, Fangry. I accidentally snipped a bit of one of the tabs that hold his bot legs together in beast mode. Fortunately, it's only visible from the back. It's not the stupidest way I've damaged a figure while removing it from the packaging. My CW Vortex has a small mark where I tried to stretch a plastic tie, let go, and it snapped against the figure.

Fangry is, I'm sorry to tell you Warcry, adequate. He's not worth tracking down and paying for an exclusive set with 3 other figures you may not want. Nor is he bad enough that you're not missing out if you don't get him. He's a decent figure who looks good in both modes.

He lacks weapons, but looks good using his TM figure as a Targetmaster. The Brisko this comes with is a step up from the TM version, with 3 colors on his face: grey mouth, purple forehead, and the rest black. The TM simply has a solid black head. The Fangry faces are identical. I prefer the TM head in Fangry since the black arms fill out the sides better than the purple ones on WC Brisko. The TM socket is nice and tight, with none of the wobble seen in other figures, like Scourge.

The leg transformation is the same as Doublecross and Grotusuqe. Repugnus is similar, but lacks a tail. It's a very good transformation, just one we've seen before. The tail does peg together better than my Doublecross. Fangry's left bot knee is a bit loose, but not enough to affect posing.

The arm transformation is odd. The forearms are taken from Grotusque. The bot hands fold into forearm gaps, the forearms rotate so the bot radii become the beast ulnas, and the beast claws flip out from the beast radii. However, in Grotuque, the shoulders also rotated front to back to provide different looks for the two arm modes.

Fangry's don't. Also Grotusque's claws were clearly beast claws. Fangry's claws look like slightly open hands. They're even 5-mm compatible. There's some organic looking, fur like texturing, but it's all black, and doesn't look too out of place in bot mode. There's no real point in transforming the arms. I'll probably just leave them in beast mode all the time. They are a bit to close to the top of the forearm, instead of being centered, but it's not bad.

A similar effect could've been achieved with a PotP Punch/Counterpunch design, but that would've required molding more new parts. The only new parts I can see are the shoulders, chest plate, and beast head. The chest plate has the SPD, STR, and INT labels, but no bars to tell what those values are.

The beast head looks great, with similar texturing to the hand, but it's more noticeable on a larger piece. The greenish-yellow eyes are great, the teeth are picked out in light grey, or maybe silver, and details like the snout and ears are well sculpted. The jaw is articulated.

If I'd paid the $85 solely to get this guy, he would not have been worth it. But, the 2 other Deluxes and lone Voyager also interested me, so I'm quite satisfied with Fangry's contribution to this set's value.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

CW Prowl and RiD Prowl -- it's noticeable that the smaller RiD deluxes are very comparable in size to modern figures. RiD Prowl still looks pretty great, is still very top heavy and still needs the door panels removing and swapping to look better in robot mode. This one hasn't discoloured too badly. CW Prowl is just because my existing one is combined as part of Guard City.

BM Savage/Noble -- like RiD Prowl, prompted by TRDQ and a comment about him being a 3D representation of a heavy metal album cover. Left an eBay search notification running and got him complete for a reasonable price.

Kingdom Grimlock/Mirage -- I got the "invisible" Mirage from WFC so let's pretend that this completely superfluous release of Mirage is a Hound hologram. Was more interested in Grimlock (very sharp head sculpt) as the concept always seemed cool in BW, and I'm glad to see that the tail can attach to the back part. Not sure about the stripey leg effect or the toothpick rapier, and with the "hands" switching in another sword isn't simple -- he can just about hold some of the 3P swords with hilts that jam between the claws -- so the head sculpt is doing a lot of work carrying the Dinobot design reuse.

Netflix Elita-1 -- I was planning to try knocking the pin out and taking the Pretender shell backpack off, because why bother with one huge piece of back kibble when the other two thirds detaches entirely? But it's easier to just cut the soft plastic the pin goes into. The figure still clips into the shell with the peg hole on the back perfectly fine, and you can also use the pieces as other accessories. (Where did I get that gun from?)

https://i.imgur.com/azD0jvL.jpeg
Hound

Post by Hound »

Finally got Earthrise Scorponok, which completes my Titan Class Cityformers collection. Here's all 4 with the bonus deluxe class extra bots they put out in the WFC line. I was going to get a photo of the 3rd modes but Sades was doing the photo taking and it was getting increasingly difficult to keep the child out of the shot. I'm very pleased with all of them especially the two Decepticons. The only real disappointment of the four is Ft. Max as the transformation is really boring. Cerebros is a lot of fun though.
Attachments
IMG_4204.jpg
IMG_4204.jpg (79.19 KiB) Viewed 22010 times
IMG_4238.jpg
IMG_4238.jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 22010 times
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Hound wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:56 pm Finally got Earthrise Scorponok, which completes my Titan Class Cityformers collection. Here's all 4 with the bonus deluxe class extra bots they put out in the WFC line. I was going to get a photo of the 3rd modes but Sades was doing the photo taking and it was getting increasingly difficult to keep the child out of the shot. I'm very pleased with all of them especially the two Decepticons. The only real disappointment of the four is Ft. Max as the transformation is really boring. Cerebros is a lot of fun though.
Needs Omega Supreme.

But seriously, nice. I'm technically 1 short of being able to do those pics. I missed Metroplex when he came out, think it's going to be a bit too stupid to track one down. I say technically as Scorpy (along with the Ark) is sitting in my pile of loot at BBTS and thus not currently in my possession.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Oh I have Omega Supreme, he's on the bookshelf behind where those pictures were taken but he doesn't count as a "Cityformer", at least to me, so he's not in the pics. Not that he isn't great because I love the figure. I think I have all of the Titan Class figures that have come out aside from the Ark. I'm kind of hoping Hasbro stops with the Titan class after the Ark because I just cannot resist the really big toys.

Edit:I so do not have Unicron. I'm not crazy!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:56 pm it was getting increasingly difficult to keep the child out of the shot.
Says you, I enjoyed the saga of Powerpinch Goes to the Mall.

(various Citybots= "the mall")

Last picture is all of the stuff on the shelf where they live. I don't know how they haven't fallen either. :o
Attachments
IMG_4213.jpeg
IMG_4213.jpeg (880.95 KiB) Viewed 21986 times
IMG_4228.jpeg
IMG_4228.jpeg (738.11 KiB) Viewed 21986 times
IMG_4234.jpeg
IMG_4234.jpeg (986.53 KiB) Viewed 21986 times
IMG_4248.jpeg
IMG_4248.jpeg (899.63 KiB) Viewed 21986 times
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Cool. I like that Trypticon looks like he's chatting to an indifferent Metroplex :)

Kingdom Rodimus Prime
Honestly, a really nice figure and I like the trailer is a sizeable thing, so doesn't look crap like Earthrise Optimus' undersized effort or Kingdom Magnus' similarly too small trailer (Siege Magnus gets away with it because its suitably Cybertronian). Props to Hasbro for taking a bit of inspiration from POTP Rodimus and having the actual robot have a proper alt-mode (a more beefy take on Hot Rod's vehicle mode). Robot mode is stunning, although he doesn't half look grumpy. The burden of leadership and all that, no doubt... Downsides? Well i could do without the blast effects, particularly the baffling black flame effects and clipping the Rodimus car into the trailer doesn't feel great (and is more than likely going to scratch the paint or outright damage the clear plastic spoiler). The car pokes out a little too far at the front for my liking, but it looks okay. On my example, I can't get the trailer to close up at all with the cannon inside - don't know if that's something exclusive to mine or a production flaw, but it's annoying either way. With his accessories and a more useful trailer (with tons of Siege ports) he is great fun to play with. I can see why he's come in under the Commander Class price point, but there's no denying he's not as impressive as classmates Siege Jetfire or Earthrise Sky Lynx - but I didn't want Rodimus to be a giant who towers over everyone, so I'm fine with it.

Generations Selects Generation 2 Ramjet
Funny that this is now the easiest way to get the conehead mould for anyone who missed out on the silly Earthrise exclusives. After all the general positive noise I've heard about the Earthrise Seeker body mold, I'm left a bit underwhelmed. It's just a bigger version of the old Classics Deluxe Seeker body. Transforms pretty much exactly the same way (there's some slight differences in the way the arms compact and ditto the legs). It's nice, but I'm stumped if I can see what got everyone raving about this. Maybe it's because they're "the right size" or something. Whatever, it is a good figure and the colours are fantastic, although only in robot mode. Like the Earthrise versions of this mold, it's a bit plain in vehicle mode (despite the mad colours) and lacks the decal 'pop' that made the original look so awesome (I do like that they've carried over the silly name tampo though).

Generations Selects Cassette lads Knok, Scar, Wingthing and Frenzy
Found reduced to a 'please take us' price on eBay, and thought they'd do well for Doubledealer and Soundwave, respectively. Robot modes are all decent, but the alt modes are a pile of nothing. Full marks to Hasbro for successfully selling a bunch of Transformers that turn into shapes to marks like me. We really will buy anything if it 'completes' a figure.
Last edited by Skyquake87 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

....I only meant to correct a spelling mistake and somehow ended up posting twice. Yay me.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Unicron wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 pmNeeds Omega Supreme.
Nah, Devastator/Predaking scale.
Hound wrote:The only real disappointment of the four is Ft. Max as the transformation is really boring. Cerebros is a lot of fun though.
Yeah, I got Max mainly for Cerebros at the time. He does fold up into something more like the cartoon though (excuse dust, shelves need properly going over);

https://i.imgur.com/DSeZ3yi.jpeg
Hound

Post by Hound »

Denyer wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:20 pm Yeah, I got Max mainly for Cerebros at the time. He does fold up into something more like the cartoon though (excuse dust, shelves need properly going over);
My pictures are from a distance and smaller so you can't see the dust. ;)

That is great! Is the gun pod from the side of the leg just taken off?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Kingdom T-Wrecks, Red Alert, Siege Soundblaster & GS G2 Sandstorm -
These were all from the TCCA club membership freight forwarding service.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hound wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:54 amIs the gun pod from the side of the leg just taken off?
Yeah, it's just unclipped and it rests on that ridge. The other bits are Cog parts, and a big gun from a 3P Max (the Perfect Effect one IIRC; also just resting on top).

Did you see this the other week? -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WPww-U69Q

https://www.facebook.com/DaimChocReport ... 116803466/

Unpainted more roughly combined version in the comments:

https://i.imgur.com/5CVYRC2.jpeg
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I had no idea Trypticon was so much shorter than Metroplex. I assume the tail gives them similar mass.

I went through the rest of the Worlds Collide set. I like Nemesis Primal more than I thought I would. I was never big on a humanoid turning into an ape, since the modes don't seem inherently different enough to be worth the effort. "My thumbs are no longer opposable! Fear me!" But, the details like the shin pistons and built in forearm and shoulder cannons do a lot to differentiate the forms.

He can hold the older figure's skull flail. Some of the transformation joints are a bit too tight, so you're not sure you're doing it right the first time. But, that's solved by watching a video review. My only real issue is the chest plate doesn't seem to tab into place in either mode.

Bumblebee in Cliffjumper's body is pretty nice. I'd've preferred the VW mode, but at least the flat rear window on this makes for a more plausible shield. The bazooka/ski set is a nice homage to some of Cliff's weapons. He's just a bit small. I thought he'd be Huffer size, which is already small for a Deluxe, but Bee's at least a head shorter. A Voyager and 3 Deluxes would normally be $90, and this set was $85, so I figure Bee was $15, which is a fair price for him.

Blackarachnia is the only mold I already owned, unless you count the bottom half of Fangry. The garish colors and leopard print bra make her look kind of skanky. Original BA is a classy femme fatale, who might seduce James Bond. This BA is hooking up with Brett Michaels. Not '80s heyday Brett Michaels, but Rock of Love Brett Michaels. She doesn't tab together in alt mode as well, and the color clash means she wouldn't look as good as the original if she did.

Not yet opened: Cyberverse Seekers Sinister Strikeforce from Ollie's for $20. I was there looking for bargains of WfC or SS, found none, and got this as a consolation prize. Starscream's clear plastic make him a decent ghost Starscream. Skywarp's translucent plastic has no plot explanation, but looks cool. Thundercracker and Thrust are opaque, but bright and colorful I like the alt mode's ability to simultaneously look like a plausible vehicle and an obviously folded in half robot.

Also, Paleotrex. Nemesis Prime might end up with 2 skull flails.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Denyer wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:54 am Did you see this the other week? -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WPww-U69Q
Holy shit! Oh man that is amazing! I am so jealous. I wish I had the skill, time and resources to pull something like that off.

I've got to step up my game with how I choose to transform my TFs.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

"Don'cha already got this one?"

"Do not be critical, Vermin, lest he use the same argument about you."

It won't work. I've already got more than one Rattrap. Besides, this more comes down to asthetic.

Transformers Headmasters Walmart Exclusive Chromedome: This was a bit of an odd one. Thanks to the Japanese Headmasters series, I really got to like Chromedome, no matter how bad the dub. If I had one complaint with the TR Chromedome, it was the IDW inspired head, but I didn't dislike it enough to shell out around a hundred bucks just to get the robot mode face I liked on the Japanese Legends version. And while Toyhax released stickers to give TR Chromedome eyes instand of an optic band, it just didn't look roght.
Then Hasbro released what appears to be the Japanese Legends versions as Walmart exclusives for our Four Warriors from the sky, only lacking the mini-vehicles they came with in Japan. And because reality hates me, Chromedome never showed up around here. So I had to go the ebay route, and now I have him in his full-on G1 show colors. The really weird part is the fact that the face is now a brighter white compared to his darker maroon reds, and couple that with him kind of standing in the shadows.... he looks a little weird. Although part of that likely comes down to staring at the TR version for four years as well.

Now I have to go find Brainstorm. Somewhere. Probably eBay. Oy.