TF Universe Toys (Opinions)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Found Universe Inferno a couple of weeks ago. Pictures do not do this toy justice. All I can really say that hasn't been said yet is that he has an odd Sentai or Brave series feel to him. And that's just fine in my book.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

secretcode wrote:Found Universe Inferno a couple of weeks ago. Pictures do not do this toy justice. All I can really say that hasn't been said yet is that he has an odd Sentai or Brave series feel to him. And that's just fine in my book.
Did you notice on the box shows him as G2? I thought that was kind of odd. The toy looked really nice, although I did not pick him up.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Yeah. He's mainly G2 due to having a water cannon (Non-phallic unlike the actual G2 toy) and toy really is quite magnificant.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Savannahtron wrote:Did you notice on the box shows him as G2? I thought that was kind of odd. The toy looked really nice, although I did not pick him up.
It's a weird justification for being G2, in that he's a water truck rather than a ladder truck. The G2 version came with a water shooter, after all. Yeah, I know, it's weird and weak, but that's how they justified it.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I have a G1 Inferno, so I always thought of him being G1.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I highly suggest picking up Inferno if at all possible. He's a phenomenal toy.

Also, got in Ratchet last night. Nice update from Ironhide, and I think I like the colors better in this version. The white/red/black works well and he stands out nicely on my shelf. The head mold is nice too, which I originally thought they just added the wings to Ironhide's helmet, but there's actually a slightly modified face too. And the face is silver straight out of the box, so that's nice.

Overall, if you liked Ironhide, you'll like Ratchet. But there's nothing really new here, so if you didn't like Ironhide, Ratchet won't make you fall in love with the mold. He still has the downward emo stare too. Personally, I think he's pretty good!
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Cyclonus is F****** awesome. Universe, Henkei!, both are absolutely awesome. You could even buy both and retcon Universe as "And His Armada"! All that would be needed is some more purple, a pair of swords instead of Nightstick, (and means to hold one in his left hand) and you'd have Animated Cyclonus!

Hound and Ravage are definitely the dark horses of wave 4. Both are great updates, and Ravage is now in 3-D!:up: Only complaint is that Hound's hologram projector doesn't stay on his shoulder. The wheels don't even help hold it there.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Detective Barricade wrote:Hound and Ravage are definitely the dark horses of wave 4. Both are great updates, and Ravage is now in 3-D!:up: Only complaint is that Hound's hologram projector doesn't stay on his shoulder. The wheels don't even help hold it there.
I agree. Hound is an ace figure that everyone should buy. EVERYONE. Doesn't matter if you like Universe or not, he's worth every penny of the $10 he costs. Ravage is just the bonus. Like a really awesome toy in a cracker jack box. You don't really see it comin', then WHAMMO! Awesome toy.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Does anyone have Hot Shot yet? Aside from the fact that Jolt is...still awful, he seems like an excellent update of the original. A bit kibbly, but since you can just pop it off if it gets in the way, that's not a huge deal.

Funny thing is, while some regret even buying him, I can't even FIND him!
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Does anyone have Hot Shot yet? Aside from the fact that Jolt is...still awful, he seems like an excellent update of the original. A bit kibbly, but since you can just pop it off if it gets in the way, that's not a huge deal.

Funny thing is, while some regret even buying him, I can't even FIND him!
Hot Shot's kind of a weird polar opposite of his original toy, despite having both modes wind up looking so much alike. He's relatively complex to transform and very kibbly (again on the shoulders) and the car panels have nowhere to go and wind up dramatically limiting the shoulder movement. The new amount of articulation is a plus, though, and the helmet and face look a bagillion times better.

The car mode is a definite improvement, but does look a little lackluster compared to the rest of the Universe line. The seam lines are a bit better done, though obvious (the main window), but the 'pre-K' look of the Armada figure isn't present.

And, of course, he likes Ja'am.

If you like the character, it's worth the purchase. If you're primarily after G1... then.. erm.. don't bother, I guess. I don't regret getting him, and throwing him into the pile o' bot cars, but I would have rather had Jazz, Tracks, or Wheeljack instead.
Detective Barricade

ganon578 wrote:I agree. Hound is an ace figure that everyone should buy. EVERYONE. Doesn't matter if you like Universe or not, he's worth every penny of the $10 he costs. Ravage is just the bonus. Like a really awesome toy in a cracker jack box. You don't really see it comin', then WHAMMO! Awesome toy.
A neat thing is he kind of fits Animated's aesthetic as well. Very few straight edges, he does appear to have an S-curved spine, and lacks some of the heavy details on most of the other Universe toys. Of course, having Ravage means I'll eventually have to track down a G1 Soundwave in some form...:|
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

TFVanguard wrote:Hot Shot's kind of a weird polar opposite of his original toy, despite having both modes wind up looking so much alike. He's relatively complex to transform and very kibbly (again on the shoulders) and the car panels have nowhere to go and wind up dramatically limiting the shoulder movement. The new amount of articulation is a plus, though, and the helmet and face look a bagillion times better.

The car mode is a definite improvement, but does look a little lackluster compared to the rest of the Universe line. The seam lines are a bit better done, though obvious (the main window), but the 'pre-K' look of the Armada figure isn't present.

And, of course, he likes Ja'am.

If you like the character, it's worth the purchase. If you're primarily after G1... then.. erm.. don't bother, I guess. I don't regret getting him, and throwing him into the pile o' bot cars, but I would have rather had Jazz, Tracks, or Wheeljack instead.
Well, I pretty much buy whatever I like, and I like Hot Shot. His Armada look is my favorite, and now he has Cybertron-level articulation to go with it. The back kibble isn't a crushing issue, since it can be reworked to be less obtrusive, the only thing I dislike is Jolt, which I feel is actually worse than Armada Jolt.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Detective Barricade wrote: Only complaint is that Hound's hologram projector doesn't stay on his shoulder. The wheels don't even help hold it there.
I wonder if you just got a bad one because I haven't had any problems with mine. It snaps into place easily every time I transform him.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Blitzwing wrote:I wonder if you just got a bad one because I haven't had any problems with mine. It snaps into place easily every time I transform him.
Same here. Mine attaches fine.
Detective Barricade

It feels like it should stay, but the slightest nudge makes it fall out... It stays in his hand or in the seat back just fine. Maybe I'm putting it in wrong...
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Ratchet. Not bad. Had Iron Hide so I knew what to expect. Looks good in those colors.

Hot Shot. Pretty good, but the shoulders don't really snap into place all that well, and the back of the car gets in the way. Otherwise I like him. Jolt's so-so. Armada version of Jolt is definitley better. EDIT: Love the references to JAAM in his profile and his license plate.
Detective Barricade

RID Scourge wrote:Ratchet. Not bad. Had Iron Hide so I knew what to expect. Looks good in those colors.

Hot Shot. Pretty good, but the shoulders don't really snap into place all that well, and the back of the car gets in the way. Otherwise I like him. Jolt's so-so. Armada version of Jolt is definitley better. EDIT: Love the references to JAAM in his profile and his license plate.
So Hot Shot's shoulders still hurt, then.;)
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah. They definitley do. :lol:

Figured out a way to configure them so I could powerlink the minicon and not look awkward, but it hampers arm articulation severely.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Spurred by some VERY helpful pictures, I decided to mod the hell out of my Ironhide, and I find myself pleased with the results. The paint is still bad and the head is still looking down, but the backpack is far better and his torso area actually holds together.
Detective Barricade

Wow, it's been this long since anyone posted here?:eek:

Since Henkei fits in this category too somewhat, why not? Henkei Dinobot is just WOW. The mold is admittedly not as great as Cyclonus or as unexpectedly cool as Hound and Ravage, but the deco just brings it all together. The spring on the neck piece is a pain in the butt though.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]