Animated Toys (Opinions)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Post by Clay »

They seem to be selling extremely well around here.

Either the show is a hit with kids, or I have more scalpers around me than I realized.
Vincent wrote:I've been reading the reactions to the Animated toyline in the thread on seibertron.com and it seems none of them are positive, which is odd considering how different it is here in this thread. Most complained of how "loose" the toys are, sometimes not able to even stand up.
I have two Animated toys (Grimlock and Bumblebee), and have had no problems with either.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are some that hunt at my local Walmart. The guy in charge of the toy department knows a lot about what certain toys are worth on the secondary market, so I guess it's not too surprising. However, since I do live in a county of no significance (except for two weeks of the year when the NASCAR race is here), it is still kind of a shock.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

They sell extremely fast here. The only reason I've been able to snag all of them quickly is because my wife is now working nights at Wal*Mart so she can grab me what I need in the morning after they have been stocking it all night. However I have yet to obtain the elusive Voyager Prime.
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

To be honest, now that I've started watching the series I'm tempted to buy some stuff.

Mind you my interest in this line isn't as it is in others, but there are a couple of figures I'd like to check out. Namely Prowl and Starscream. I'd go and check out what this Leader Megatron looks like but I don't want to spoil the series for me, so once I see what Megs turns out to be in the cartoon I'll look for pics.

And when are we gonna get Blitzwing!?
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Vincent wrote:To be honest, now that I've started watching the series I'm tempted to buy some stuff.

Mind you my interest in this line isn't as it is in others, but there are a couple of figures I'd like to check out. Namely Prowl and Starscream. I'd go and check out what this Leader Megatron looks like but I don't want to spoil the series for me, so once I see what Megs turns out to be in the cartoon I'll look for pics.

And when are we gonna get Blitzwing!?
Blitzwing is in Wave 4. As for if they will release him early, who knows?
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Ugh, Lockdown pisses me off. Wasn't looking at the directions and ended up having my first transformation breakage. Didn't realize the natural position for hands was curling in towards the body. :down:
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Ratchet is so much fun! I'm gonna go hunt down Soundwave and Cyb Mode Megatron as soon as I can.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Sir Auros wrote:Ugh, Lockdown pisses me off. Wasn't looking at the directions and ended up having my first transformation breakage. Didn't realize the natural position for hands was curling in towards the body. :down:
Same thing happened to me. But at least it was the hand the hook goes over for me...
Sunstreaker2 wrote:Ratchet is so much fun!
I agree. He's really the biggest surprise in the line for me, as I thought his toy was going to be sheer and utter garbage. I was wrong.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I'm waiting until I can get Soundwave. Given Hasbro's crazy fast shipping schedule lately, I will have one by the end of next week.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

secretcode wrote:Same thing happened to me. But at least it was the hand the hook goes over for me...
Me 2. Me replace wif sekond wun.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Cybertron.ca has Blitzwing as being set for an October release. Can't wait for that.

I didn't get a chance to do any toy shopping this weekend... but apparently there have been Voyager Optimus sighting at a few places around here, so hopefully I'll get my hands on him soon. Ratchet is another one that I can't wait to get. He doesn't look like much from the pics, but everybody who has him seems to consider him to be one of the best figures in the line.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Wow. I've been thinking of snagging Ratchet because his giant tools looked awesome. Definitely have to do so, now.

Funny that as soon as I start thinking about getting him, people start raving about how cool he is.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I figured out how to store Ratchet's tools in vehicle mode...sorta. I just partially transform the back so I have access to the tool storage pegs.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

That's what everyone does
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

Animated toys go to the opposite extreme of the movie toys. Movie toys are mechanical detail heavy. Animated toys have clean and crisp robot modes. Almost too clean and crisp for me, but that would be personal preference. Prowl is very impressive. There are no significant compromises to either his robot or vehicle modes, and that is not easy to do with a motorcycle. But I find the result a little bit uninteresting to look at in robot mode.

The heads are a downer. There are some I would consider buying but I can't quite overlook the heads, like Sentinel Prime and Slag Snarl.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

dose anyone know the release dates for the uk?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Blitzwing wrote:Cybertron.ca has Blitzwing as being set for an October release. Can't wait for that.

I didn't get a chance to do any toy shopping this weekend... but apparently there have been Voyager Optimus sighting at a few places around here, so hopefully I'll get my hands on him soon. Ratchet is another one that I can't wait to get. He doesn't look like much from the pics, but everybody who has him seems to consider him to be one of the best figures in the line.
But, will Hasbro stick to that date? They don't seem to have with Grimlock and some others. As for Ratchet, he is able to have the EMP device that comes with Lockdown attach to his arm (well technically, it WAS his to begin with). As a general rule of thumb, if it feels like you're forcing it, best to not force it further. There are, of course, modifications that can be done to allow the hands to swing out further than its originally able to...:)
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Finally got my first Animated toys. Got Prowl, Bulkhead, Blackarania and Lockdown. Nice toys, with better articulation than some of the Movie toys. Prowl and Blackarachnia particularly ware great. Lockdown is a Deluxe toy as large as a Voyager... No errors on that eh? Bulkhead looks like Cybertron's Crumplezone in terms of colour, head design, insanely large hands and stubby legs that somehow managa to let them stand.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Just got Voyager Megatron yesterday. After doing that modification that lets the cannon sit flat against his arm, he stands a lot better.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

They did a pretty good job with this line. They look a lot like their TV namesakes. Like the movie line, they're kinda fiddly and their limbs often pop off (!@#&$^% ball joints!), but I like that these (movie and animated) transformations are more complex than the G1 characters I'm used to.