[Original RPG] Shadow War: The Gray Race (Protihex)

Look back over the last decade-plus worth of games!
Reflector

Shadow War: The Gray Race (Protihex)

Post by Reflector »

It is the year 2025. After the Quintessons' expulsion from Cybertron and a short period of detente while both sides rebuilt, tensions mounted and the war for territory has begun again. Some, however, have refused to participate. Their reasons are many - survivors of the Quintesson occupation dare not risk battling their former comrades; idealists have grown anxious due to their taste of peace; and the jaded have come to collect their thoughts and reconsider their destinies. This ecclectic crew has taken residence in outlying Protihex, a city of little strategic significance. While their reasons vary, they share one fundamental mission: to live peacefully and sustainably away from the war, surviving on the land and their combined knowledge.

Downtown

Derby smiled while he stepped back from his work and brushed his brow with his forearm. He'd become particularly dirty in recent times, something he wasn't used to, but he couldn't help it. There was always something to do - he'd needed to get this sign up, and after this he'd have to go back to the energon plant and make sure it was still operating.

Derby admired the sign and the commune's agreed principles etched on it proudly for a moment before turning to admire equally the stars. He couldn't remember seeing them so clearly and fearlessly in ages. Protihex was a poorly-lit city yet. Derby wasn't sure he wasnted to fix that.

Derby sat for a moment against the side of an abandoned tower looking out over a clearing, the scar of a war that no longer lived here, and he again broadcast his signal to the cities asking other Transformers to join them. He didn't know if it was getting through, but he needed to try.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Tap Out trundled along heading for Protihex.

Following his experiences at both the hands of teh Decepticons and the Quintessons he felt he didn't fit in anymore. Some still regarded his partnership with a decepticon as deeply suspicious. Having tried desperately to take up the threads of his old life where they had left off he had grown listless and depressed. Hope had sprung in his processors whjen he picked up a signal from a colony of transformers who wanted a return to a peaceful existence. He was heading east towing a trailer full of supplies he had liberated , that might prove useful and at least one message.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

What began as rumour, became establised fact. The signal was proof of this

His reasoning broken, he knew that he would not be able to function as others expected. A strange sensation, this.

He felt....he felt! Never during the course of his inestimably long life had he ever felt before.

The war had taken its toll on him. Circuitry exposed, servoes failing and his logic had deserted him. Once the Quintesson's had been defeated he fell to the floor.Once he regained consciousness, he could feel the difference immediately.

Not physicall of course.

He saw the world before him in a new light...like he had been reborn. He appreciated the sacrifice of those who fell. He mourned them. He even felt pity for those left behind, who had to rebuild from scratch. This included himself.

He arrived at the source of the signal.

"Greetings", he began. "I...am Shockwave. I have come to help in any way I can."

"Hello?"
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Downtown

Derby couldn't have missed that giant purple frame incoming if he'd tried. At first sight, he scrambled to his feet and backed against the wall defensively. Were the Decepticons going back on their promise of noninterference? Derby forced reason to suppress his Autobot programming, and he pushed a smile through his latent nervousness.

"Hi, Shockwave," he chirped, pretending he wasn't familiar with him and extending a hand upward. "I'm Derby. Welcome to Protihex. What brings you to our little corner of paradise?"

Two blocks away, Haras tromped along the silent main boulevard with an armful of girders, closing the distance between himself and Derby.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Tap Out drew to a halt by a freshly painted sign. Then spotting movemt he revved his engine to pull the weight of the trailer behind him and headed towards the signs of life.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

In the air

To an observer on the ground, he would first have appeared as a purple speck in the sky. But quickly, too quickly for the observer to truly be comfortable, the speck grew to be a distinctive aircraft, with forward-swept wings and a sharp, needle-like bow.

In days past, the sight of Cyclonus bearing down on the city from the air would have sent the citizens scrambling for cover, but no one paid him any mind. The ex-Decepticon was perfectly happy with that, though. He circled the downtown until he caught sight of someone moving down there in the low-populated city. Then he transformed, dropping from the sky and landing dramatically in robot mode.

"Good day," he said as he approached the being, who he noticed was, in fact, a Quintesson (Haras). Suppressing his natural instinct to squash the loathsome creature into the ground, he offered it a smile instead. "Do you need a hand with those girders?"
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

As if unsure of himself, Shockwave's one hand met that of Derby.

"I am brough here out of neccessity, much like yourself I assume.
How many others, apart from them two", he motioned towards Cyclonus and Haras, "are there here?"
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Tap Out pulled up next to Derby and Shockwave unhitched the trailer and transformed.

Optics widening at the sight of Shockwave especially given his history as a POW and slave worker
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Downtown

Haras pulled the beams into his chest, shrinking defensively at the sight of Cyclonus. Not that he was intimidated by him specifically - he just had a way of reacting that way to all Transformers. He still wasn't comfortable here. The purple one seemed friendly enough though.

"Okay," Haras shrugged. He didn't actually need the help, but he was afraid of offending sensibilities. Haras reached out to hand part of the load to Cyclonus.

Derby kept his smile while his optics followed Shockwave's direction toward Cyclonus and Haras. He hadn't seen that one around here either, though he'd heard rumors about him leaving the Decepticons...

"Well, we don't really keep a headcount," Derby answered while watching the others down the street. "Transformers come and go as they choose, though most who show up stay. There's a couple dozen I know off the top of my head. We sure would like if you stick around, Shockwave. What sort of skills do you have that..."

Derby trailed off and turned his head the other direction when he heard an engine approaching, and he smiled at Tap Out equally. "Hi there, friend. Welcome to Protihex."
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Downtown

"Greetings my name's Tap Out i've got a message and a present for someone called Derby."
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Downtown

Cyclonus took the girders from Haras without so much as a shrug, his massive strength letting him shoulder the burden with ease.

"Lead on, friend," he said as sincerely as he could manage. Now that he had gotten past his initial hateful response to Haras, he noted that the alien seemed to be a bit intimidated by him. Normally that would have been more than fine by him, but terrorizing the local population wouldn't help him finish his mission. And like it or not, finishing his mission was a prerequisite for getting the information he needed to learn Galvatron's fate.

"My name is Cyclonus," he told the Quintesson as they walked. "I'm only passing through your city, but I'll be here for a while. Do you know where a mech can find a recharge bed, by and chance?"
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Downtown

Haras walked along toward his destination, not looking at Cyclonus.

"Yeah," he answered quietly. "I'll show you."

As he passed a half-broken building down the block from Derby and the others, Haras set his girders down among a pile of construction materials and turned to lead Cyclonus toward the residential quarter.

Derby cocked his head at Tap Out, glancing at Shockwave before answering.

"That's me," he said to Tap Out tentatively.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Downtown

Cyclonus dumped his girders where Haras had indicated, then followed along behind the Quintesson as he led the way toward the residential area.

"I have to say," the former warrior told him as they walked, "I haven't see many former Decepticons on the streets since I got here. Aren't my kind welcome here?"

The question was delivered in a perfectly level tone, showing none of the contempt Cyclonus thought he should feel for any Decepticon who would abandon their duties for this pipe dream of a commune. As tranquil as it seemed, this sort of life simply wasn't the Decepticon way.

But was my choice any different from the ones made by any of my brothers who've come here? I left the army because my sense of honour called to to something that could never be done while I wore the Decepticon badge. Who's to say that choosing the path of peace is any less honourable?
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Downtown

"The present is in this trailer ."

Tap Out pointed

"its jammed full of supplies, as for the message i'd rather give it to you in privacy."
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

"My skills?" replied Shockwave. "I have the most complete undestanding of logic that any being, mechanical biological or other, has ever possessed" as he said those words, he hoped it remained true.

"As such, perhaps a roll call or head count is needed? If this commune is to survive these hard times, then organisation is paramount to its survival.

"For instance, the supplies that our little friend Tap Out has brought. They should be recorded, ad details of distributio should also be recorded.

"I also think", a hint of rueness in his voice, " that a little tidy-up is in order?"
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Wheelie:

<Big one. Gunhand. Not nice. (estimate threat value)

<New home. Hide. Peace. (caution recommended)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Residential Quarter

"Oh no, they are," Haras answered Cyclonus nervously. He recalled what Derby had told him while they were talking about founding the commune. "There aren't many of them. But they're around. Probably working. Yeah. Probably working."

Haras passed into Cyclohex, a neighborhood of long-forgotten upscale homes along a spiral road gently rising to a half mile high. Haras walked along the silent incline slowly, looking for a residence he knew was uninhabited. He moved toward one with its windows dark.

"We just finished remodeling this neighborhood," he assured Cyclonus. "You can recharge here as long as you need."

Downtown

It was Derby's first instinct to respond to Shockwave with hostility. But he did as he'd trained himself - he counted to five and remembered that he'd never met a Decepticon he liked right off the bat. Derby pushed through a smile.

"We're not too keen on organization," he answered Shockwave politely. "Kinda feel that's how this mess got started. But hey, those figures might be useful. You seem like the perfect mech to spearhead that project. Why don't you get started on this trailer while I talk with Tap Out here, and when I'm down we'll figure out where to go from there, okay?"

Derby turned to Tap Out and nodded for him to follow him down the street for some privacy. His optics widened while he walked - he couldn't believe he was giving orders to Shockwave! No, not orders, he reminded himself. Advice - help getting situated. That's it. He was just helping him.

"So what's up?" Derby asked his fellow Minibot softly when there was a half block between them and anyone else.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Downtown

Tap Out glanced around.

"Before i left i was approached by a friend or should I say friends of yours Doublecross he gave me this load of supplies, its mostly Con weapons plus obsolescent gear which would be on the to the junkyard, not cutting edge but solid reliable stuff thats easy to repair and maintain. He says he can keep you supplied but only stuff he can ease out of the system. He says he'll do his best but he won't endanger his Autobot teamates by selling them short. But he thinks you deserve an extra edge out here. He said maybe just maybe he could off the occaisional specific item . He also said to watch out for the Space Mafia, they'll probably see us as an easy target."
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Residential Quarter

Cyclonus nodded. "Thank you," he said as he entered the unoccupied residence. As he did so, he looked over his shoulder at Haras and said. "I don't believe I caught your name."
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Cyclohex

Haras regarded Cyclonus with the same reserved eyes he had thus far.

"Haras," he answered unsurely, feeling strange to say so. The word's meaning was much different now. He still wasn't used to it.

Haras failed to ask Cyclonus' name, although he didn't know it. The thought just didn't come to him.

Downtown

Derby grinned widely when Tap Out delivered the news.

"Shoulda known it was DC," he smirked nostalgically. "I knew I could count on him. Tell him thanks when you see him again, and I owe him one again... Say, what about you? Are you gonna stick around Protihex?"

The Suburbs

Eiramnna stalked along the empty streets at the head of the Sharkticon procession, his thermal pistols at the ready. He glared back at the column behind him now and again, admonishing their noise with looks that would kill. Reaching a familiar intersection, Eiramnna produced an electromap and examined it.

"Hypotheon," he said quietly without raising his head. "This is where we split up. Take your team Uptown. We'll rendezvous here in six breems."

Eiramnna pocketed the electromap and waved his squad of Sharkticons to follow him toward Cyclohex.