Sunshine (2007 movie) Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

What did you think of the film "Sunshine"

:) Sunshine was excellent
50%
Sunshine was okay
33%
:( Sunshine was not good
No votes
:eek: EEK!
17%
What's a "Sunshine"?
No votes

Total votes: 6

dai-atlas2000
Protoform

Sunshine (2007 movie) Thread

Post by dai-atlas2000 »

Hi all,

Just got home from watching this movie and thought I'd put up some of my thoughts on it. Am interested to hear what other's thought about the film.

It seems to have slipped by here in Northern Ireland without much attention. It took me a while after watching it to decide whether I really liked it or not.

The film basically is about a group of people delivering an explosive to drop into the heart of the sun, in order for the sun to maintain itself, but, obviously, things go wrong with the mission.

It was not run of the mill stuff and the presentation was stunning - continuous shots of the sun and the ships. The crew was small, so you get to learn about most of them. At times things got a bit weird and a bit creepy.

From looking around on other review sites, the response has been positive. Any of you guys seen it yet? If not, I'd recommend Sunshine for those that like "something a bit different"...
Dai
(offical tea-boy and unofficial Alt ID of Snake)
RARRRR!!RR!!RRR!R!
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

I've been waiting to see it, not released here yet though.
dai-atlas2000
Protoform

Post by dai-atlas2000 »

Whereabouts are you Zisteau?
Dai
RARRRR!!RR!!RRR!R!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Spoilers for courtesy, given that it's not being released in the States until 2011 or something daft...
SPOILER! (select to read)
I thought it was a bit ropey, tbh. Visually stunning, naturally... a bit pretentious in places, seemed to lose its way as regards to what it was trying to be (thought provoking character piece / slasher movie / action film) and could really have done without the emotional shortcut of "ooh, look - children!" at the end.

That said, the only bits that felt really forced were Chris Evans' spiel about the purpose of the mission (scripted almost entirely for use in the trailer), and what I can only guess is now a Danny Boyle staple of Cillian Murphy hulking up and saving teh world in the final reel.
Gets a 6/10 off the Brend.
dai-atlas2000
Protoform

Post by dai-atlas2000 »

Didn't realise that it wasn't out in the US yet. When is the release date due?

I'd have given it a 7/10.
Dai
RARRRR!!RR!!RRR!R!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Dear God that was crap. started off promising, but was predictable (you just knew the Captain wasn't coming back from that spacewalk...) and insanely, insanely stupid.
So, the computer knows there's an intruder on board but doesn't mention it to anyone until asked (despite being so concerned for the missions safety earlier it disobeyed direct orders when it felt it endangered the crew)? Plus no one saw him on all those cameras? A guy who's lived alone in a ship full of dust for seven years with extreme skin cancer and suffering from the same oxygen starvation as everyone else is somehow super, super strong to the point where he can take having a load of skin ripped of his arm with no trouble? Everyone not being squashed to pulp by the suns gravity long before they get near the surface (very bad for a film that boasted of scientific accuracy, the effectiveness of the radiation shield at that close range was unlikely as well). Why have a window that can have its filter set to dangerous settings? Why not just have safe settings? Wouldn't those kids have gotten sick of making snowmen after a decade of it? Bah.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
extreme skin cancer
Was it? Looked to just be badly, badly burned. Spot on about the ****ing gravity, though.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, if he'd been out in the sun that long he'd almost certainly have cancer as well as the burnt skin. Was the Scarecrow supposed to be Australian like his family? Because he didn't really sound it...

I can't decide if the blur image was for effect or just to hide bad make up. It did give us a laugh coming out the cinema, going "I am a super blur cancer man!" as we walked down the street. My family is easily amused.
The shame is my Mother was really looking forward to this, she's a full on expert when it comes to space travel and she was keen on what promised to be a film with real science in it. She was fairly peeded off by the end.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE IN THE US WHO WANT TO SEE IT

I just saw it (yes it finally came out in the US, with almost 0 advertising to boot), and I have to say it is currently sitting 3rd in my list of top Flying-Into-The-Sun-And-Dying movies. I thought most of the film was pretty spot on. The almost drug addict like dependence for a few of them on the sunlight room was really fascinating, the way they needed a regular fix, and built up their resistance and needed bigger shots of it. Enough so that I could overlook the fact that no space vessel of that type would have something like that.

A lot of the inaccurate scientific stuff like stopping on a dime in front of the sun I had no problem ignoring, because the psychological stuff was interesting enough to ignore it. The only thing that really bothered me was the slasher bit. Totally unnecessary. They were perfectly capable of killing themselves from their psycho traumatic whatsits on their own without the sudden appearance of the other captain. The other ship's sabotage would have had more emotional weight that way too.

Overall, not quite as good as I expected, but still ****ed up enough to leave me a bit emotionally shaken when I left the theater. Where's the half a thumb up graphic.

:halfthumb: ?
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Yeah, I just saw it a week ago. Can't say it was a masterpiece, but I did enjoy it. Like Zisteau said, I would have prefered if the Captain from the other ship didn't show up at the end. It would have been cooler to see one or two of the characters just go completely mad and kill each other off instead.