DW Comics

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blitzwing 2
Protoform

DW Comics

Post by Blitzwing 2 »

I haven't ever read one or bought one, but are they as bad as people make them out to be? I was wondering about buying some but I hear all this negative review. I don't read comics so the fact that they're not Marvel doesn't mean much to me. I know thanks to Cliffys wonderful reviews, only one of the first six Gen 1 is any good, but what about the rest? And War Within seems good though. Basically would a die-hard Gen 1 fan find them any good? Thanks.
"Your brush with greatness is over!"

JAWS vs. Chucky
This could be great: Chucky is a stowaway on some kids' boat and he tries to kill them. They jump overboard and JAWS eats them before Chucky can get 'em. Chucky swears "smile you son of a bitch" and dives into the water for one final showdown
A quote that I stole from someone from somewhere else
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Blitzwing 2
Basically would a die-hard Gen 1 fan find them any good?

And what exactly does 'a die-hard Gen 1 fan' like? :)

I guess you could get some scans to try if DW comics suits your taste, if you don't wanna pay for stuff you'd find horrible after purchasing.
Blitzwing 2
Protoform

Post by Blitzwing 2 »

Originally posted by Ozz
And what exactly does 'a die-hard Gen 1 fan' like? :)

Guess I was too generic in what I said. Well, basically I like almost anything from Gen 1. I enjoy most of the eps and stuff like City of Steel doesn't faze me for whatever reason. I think I'll look into getting War Within though since it looks pretty good while I'll have to investigate Gen 1.

JAWS vs. Chucky
This could be great: Chucky is a stowaway on some kids' boat and he tries to kill them. They jump overboard and JAWS eats them before Chucky can get 'em. Chucky swears "smile you son of a bitch" and dives into the water for one final showdown
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

the dreamwave comics are................................okay. they're nothing special, the art is good (at times). the storylines need ALOT of work. on the whole, not something to spend too much money on.
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

Basically, what volume 1 has going against it is a very slow, cliche, and rather unintersting start which involves very few Transformers at all.

As it continues, the plot never improves drastically and the whole thing could have been told more effectively in half the issues.

If you've been reading lots of Marvel TF comics, you'll probably find the art far better than most of the earlier run, although I personally like Wildman's and Senior's art better.

In my opinion, volume 2 has a better story (albeit nothing new or terribly exciting) and worse art.
Hang on to your ego.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

If you are a Transformers fan, but not much of a comic fan, you'd probably like the DW TF comics. Most people don't like DW comics because they're not up to par with other comics that are out there these days.
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

Even the worst of the DW stuff i've read beats any of the marvel stuff i've read. the comment about vol 1 being slow is right, and it did seem rushed at the end.

I can't honestly say that i noticed the art was of lower standard in Vol 2, want to explain that one to me Shockwaeve?
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron
Even the worst of the DW stuff i've read beats any of the marvel stuff i've read. the comment about vol 1 being slow is right, and it did seem rushed at the end.

Out of curiosity, how much of Marvel stuff did you read?
Blitzwing 2
Protoform

From one Blitz to another

Post by Blitzwing 2 »

Originally posted by Blitzwing
If you are a Transformers fan, but not much of a comic fan, you'd probably like the DW TF comics. Most people don't like DW comics because they're not up to par with other comics that are out there these days.

Ah, thank you. Kinda what I was looking for in a response.

JAWS vs. Chucky
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron:
I can't honestly say that i noticed the art was of lower standard in Vol 2, want to explain that one to me Shockwaeve?
It seems to me that Pat Lee's style has changed slightly, and is most obvious on the cover art of volume 2, with which I was very unimpressed. I thought some of his character models for volume 1 looked better.
Hang on to your ego.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

If you´re not familiar with earlier Marvel run, you might like The War Within and/or Generation 1 vol2 (second mini-series). One of the biggest problems with older fans, is that there´s not much new ideas/stories in Dreamwave´s comics. Also my advice would be to avoid the first G1 mini-series, at least if you can´t check it before buying.

Plus Pat Lee´s art (both G1 miniseries) is horrible (IMO), but some seem to like it, if they don´t know about better artists. :glance:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Blitzwing
Most people don't like DW comics because they're not up to par with other comics that are out there these days.

Actually, I don't like DW G1 vol 2 because the plot is phenomenally unoriginal and thoroughly contrived.

Whereas Armada is fun and MTMtE is intriguing. Okay, they get their backsides handed to them by a lot of other stuff about at the moment, but to say that's why people don't like them is a bit of a misguided generalisation.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron
Even the worst of the DW stuff i've read beats any of the marvel stuff i've read.
If you're basing that mainly on, say, the middle of the US comic run, it's a pretty worthless comparison.

And both continuities sucked quite badly at the beginning.

Personally I think Season 3 and the end of the US run (not forgetting the UK material or US G2) are generally better than what came before.

Similarly, the DW stuff appears to have warmed up a bit recently, with War Within being really rather pleasant, and Vol2 apparently being decently put together (even if it's up against over ten years worth of fan writing, plus all of the previous official stuff)...

Get the WW trade paperback as a taster, would be my advice. I like it, anyway.
spiderfrommars
Protoform

Post by spiderfrommars »

I'm more or less reiterating what others have said. Your best bets are War Within (the trade paperback is now available) and G1 Vol 2.

Though if you wanted to read some great Tf comics it would be wise to spend money on the titan trade paperbacks. The likes of Target 2006, All Fall Down or End of the Road are all exceptional.
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

Originally posted by Denyer
Personally I think Season 3 [is] generally better than what came before.

Say what now:wtf: ????!!!!