Is anyone reading the GI Joe vs. Transformers comics?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Sir Auros

Is anyone reading the GI Joe vs. Transformers comics?

Post by Sir Auros »

I picked up issue #2 a week ago because I'd somehow missed out on #1 coming out, but I haven't read it yet since I'm waiting for #1 to come in on backorder.

I thought that Dreamwave was going to be in on this, but it looks like it's being published by Image...unless the WW2 one I've been seeing the ads for isn't the series I'm now picking up...what's the dilly-yo?
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

2 different series of Gi Joe Vs TF - one is by Devils due (and Image I think) set in modern times (and Optimus as a Hiss tank)

the other by Dreamwave isn't due out yet I thought, and it's based in WWII

I'll be getting it around the end of the month, and be able to discuss more then.

Hope that helps though.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

****, another one to collect then...:\
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I've picked up the first two issues. So far it's mainly focused on the GIJoe side of things, and I'm not terribly familiar with the characters, so it hasn't been really interesting. There have been a few interesting concepts introduced however, and I think the Transformers will be featured more in the next few issues.

I'm anticipating the Dreamwave WWII series a lot more than the Image series though.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

I wasn't too interested in getting the series, and my mind was pretty much made up after I read #1. Still kinda partial about whether or not I wanna pick up the DW series...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

So is this like the first G1 series in that there's bearly and TF stuff for the first 3 issues?
Garand

Post by Garand »

picked up issue #1 holofoil cover while up in chicago. it's in interesting series. I just woner why Bumblebee and Wheeljack are wondering around town oblivious to the fact..
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I read first issue and I treat it like a set-up for the main story. I guess more can be tell after reading 2 or 3 issues. Nice art.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
So is this like the first G1 series in that there's bearly and TF stuff for the first 3 issues?

It's a lot like G1 V1. Especially in the fact that they're using the concept of a human Terrorist organization that's using the Transformers as weapons for themselves. So far the only TF that seems to have independant thought is Megatron.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Blitzwing
It's a lot like G1 V1.

Yep, even action of this mini (it's a mini, right?) is as slow as G1 V1. :)

I just read #2, actually nothing happens, it's still kinda build-up.

Funny thing that on the list of soldiers Hawk has, there's Spike Witwicky's name.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I got the first Image/DD one. Not very impressed at all... Some of the character models really worked [Thundercracker], but some, like the HISS tanks, were horribly shoehorned... It's as if someone came up with fantastic ideas for half-a-dozen characters, and then suddenly realised they had to do another 20... The story wasn't that gripping at all. The comparison to DW G1 V1 is also spot on - with poor Cobra Commander given the [Pat] Lee-zarus role of "prick who's blatantly going to get his just desserts from both sides when they break free of his control". Of course, CC won't get killed as the thing's probably got 42 covers [DD are better than DW, but they're still Image in name and nature...] and has outsold a bunch of other comics that had only one, so there'll be another mini a year until the bottom falls out of the market... :(

Overall, considering how spiffy DD's main G. I. Joe series has generally been, a big disappointment - I was really expecting this to be the best TF comic since '94. The DW series sounds really interesting, as it sounds like they're actually using some imagination in their new continuity. Though Jae Lee and Transformers is going to be interesting... Still, he's got the chance of being the best TF artist with the surname "Lee". Yes, I dislike Jim's brace of covers, however superb his other work has been...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I actually fairly enjoyed #1. Being as you have to remember that, essentially, it's not a Transformers comic - It's a GI Joe comic that's drafted in TFs to help retell the story,
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Where as the Dreamwave one will be a TF comic with the Gi Joes along for the ride?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

If it was anybody but DW doing it, I'd say yes. But you can never tell with them...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Who's doing the scripting for the DW one?
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

all i know is that the character designs for both the joes and the tfs look awesome. bumblebee is a frickin' harley (with sidecar). shockwave is a howitzer. gotta love it. only thing i'm not real big on is the redesign of soundwave and the cassettes.
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

I kinda of dig the TF vs GIJOE comic by image.. imo its by far hella of alot better then OG TF vs GIJOE... i haven't read the 3rd issue yet.. but i'm looking forward to it.. i also can't wait for the DW version of it.. the art work looks great... Cobra Commander looks great in the cloth hood.. great just great..
One shall stand, One shall fall...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Well, I finally got a copy of issue 1 (and realized that I forgot to bring my non-Batman comics box and thus didn't bring issue 2), and I must say, I like this series. I'm not a big GI Joe buff, but I can still appreciate it. Really, the only thing that you had to know about GI Joe was the whole Snake Eyes thing.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Well, I finally picked up issue #2, and let me get this straight, Cobra Commander is Lazarus, right? This all feels worryingly familiar...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Yes, very similar plot line (I've picked up #2 as well)

The sad part is, it isn't dreamwave doing this one, so does that mean that most of the Comic writers are that unimaginitive? That they cannot conceve a better plot line for the Transformers.

I do think the bits with Snake eyes is really funny