G1 Volume 2 #4 (Spoilers and other things inside)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Bombshell

G1 Volume 2 #4 (Spoilers and other things inside)

Post by Bombshell »

I'm not a big fan of "exposition" issues. Anyone who has seen my review of Armada #13 knows this by now. And this issue has that written all over it.

Not that it's bad, though. It does a great big setup towards the next two issues, with an ending that is really well done. (One that I hope will be handled much better than issue #4 of the last series. Anyone remember that?)

Funny little tidbits include:

-The Protectobots and Omnibots being among the casualties of Mensaor's rampage.

-Am I the only one thinking Magnus' whole speech just seems too much like Prime's back in Volume 1 #5?

-The Stunticons' general loathing of Motormaster, hinted at in their tech specs.

-Smokescreen displaying his Autobot symbol by means of the "rub on" sticker that many of the toys released around and after 1985 had.

-I find it interesting that Hot Rod, at first, has no idea who Optimus is. For someone of Prime's obvious fame, it strains credibility for him NOT to know who he is.

-Kup tells Prime that Wheelie and Gnaw met up in the Wastelands, which was mentioned in Gnaw's MTMTE profile back in MTMTE #2.

-Runamuck is seen in the Autobots holding cell as Kup leads Prime to the others.

-Funny that Blaster is "familiar" with Earth considering that, at least to me, there's no real indication that he's ever been there, or heard anything about it.

-Ironhide and Kup seem to know one another, hiniting at fans speculation that the two are old comrades. (And a hint about War Within, maybe?)

*ADDITIONS*

-Ultra Magnus refers to Optimus as his "brother", a nod to "Robots In Disguise".

-Shockwave refers to the Guardian Robots as "Sentinels" in another reference to "War Within".
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hot Rod's a young autobot. He may not have been activated until after Prime left.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
Hot Rod's a young autobot. He may not have been activated until after Prime left.

Optimus Prime is a name you'd expect to be mentioned in the Autobots' history records. Bearer of the Matrix, and all that...Even if Hot Rod didn't bother to look at those, I imagine someone would have told Roddy about him, at some point.
Blitzwing

Re: G1 Volume 2 #4 (Spoilers and other things inside)

Post by Blitzwing »

Originally posted by Bombshell

-The Protectobots and Omnibots being among the casualties of Mensaor's rampage.

-Am I the only one thinking Magnus' whole speech just seems too much like Prime's back in Volume 1 #5?

-Funny that Blaster is "familiar" with Earth considering that, at least to me, there's no real indication that he's ever been there, or heard anything about it.

-The Protectobots weren't actully casualties, since Magnus tells the Jumpstarters to 'Get them on their feet' after the fight with Menasor.

-I think that was meant to show how much Magnus and Prime are alike.

-Blaster says that 'I can't wait to go', refering to Earth, so that means that he hasn't been. I hope they explain how he knows so much about Earth culture then. It's not like any of the Earthbound Autobots ever had a chance to report anything about Earth back to Cybertron.

Some other stuff:

-Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bruticus to be rampaging instead of Menasor, considering the Combaticons were the ones that couldn't be controlled in G1.

-Nice to see Blitzwing make an appearance without getting beaten up.

-Who was Gears refering to when he called an Autobot a 'Regulator'?

-Devcon makes a cameo sitting in the corridor that Smokescreen is leading Prowl and Ironhide through.

-Wheelie bitting Prime's ankle was hilarious.

-Slag seems to be second-in-command of the Dinobot, since Grimlock left him in charge when he went after Shockwave.

Anyway, hopefully next issue will clear some stuff up about what Starscream's plans are, as well as what is up with Scourge. The issue was pretty good. I loved the fight scenes. I love the way Ultra Magnus is being portrayed. He's a lot more like his comic version, than his cartoon version. Still a few plot holes that get on my nerves, as well as cliche characterization, but 'pobody's nerfect'.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

Glad that it's out, now hoping some store in the Netherlands buy's them...

Dead End :"If we give away our energon cubes we're doomed.

Break Down :"If we don't we're doomed too.

Dead End :"Face it We're Doomed
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Warcry
Optimus Prime is a name you'd expect to be mentioned in the Autobots' history records. Bearer of the Matrix, and all that...Even if Hot Rod didn't bother to look at those, I imagine someone would have told Roddy about him, at some point.

May not have ever seen a picture of him. I don't know the faces of many famous people.
Armorwind
Protoform

Post by Armorwind »

Another question that came to my mind was this: After Kup refers to Wheelie as "the kid," I began to wonder if Transformers had the ability to actually grow up in size, or is just there maturity that changes as they grow older?

I believe that Blaster knows about Earth just as the Junkions do, meaning he could hav received signals from Earth. He probably also received information from the Autobots from Earth.

Ultra Magnus referring to Optimus Prime as his brother could just be another way to say brother at arms, like Prime says they are in one of the other issues.
Life's too short to worry...

Which Colossal Death Robot Are You?
The Spider
Protoform

Post by The Spider »

There was some part in the comic where it was mentioned that Shockwave was preparing Cybertronians for something by making them more aggressive.

Is it possible that Shockwave is preparing them to battle Unicron?
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Blitzwing
-Who was Gears refering to when he called an Autobot a 'Regulator'?

He said 'waste regulator', it wasn't a name. Probably Cybertronian version of 'Shove it up your ass'. :) And he was probably talking to Bluestreak, since it was him who had a quarrel with Gears in first issue.
Originally posted by The Spider
Is it possible that Shockwave is preparing them to battle Unicron?
I'm still hoping that Unicron won't show up in this mini.

Hot Rod, yeah, like Kup said: 'lad with little or no brains', gotta love the guy. :)

For the first time Wheelie was funny not annoying, and he didn't rhyme. :)

Issue was okay, but overall plot is going too slow. I'm afraid that there's too many subplots started so far and 45 pages which left may be too little to finish them all without rushing. But let's hope they'll do it good.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

Issue was okay, but overall plot is going too slow. I'm afraid that there's too many subplots started so far and 45 pages which left may be too little to finish them all without rushing. But let's hope they'll do it good.
Well at least there are plots, it looks a lot better than the first volume...

RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Ozz

They're supposed to be starting an ongoing G1 series eventually. They can leave a few plots open to expand on them in that.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
They're supposed to be starting an ongoing G1 series eventually. They can leave a few plots open to expand on them in that.

If there's ongoing following this mini, then I guess I don't need to be worried. :)
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

That would be good, well if they bring the comics out weekly...

waiting a month is too long!

Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Originally posted by Ballplayer
That would be good, well if they bring the comics out weekly...

waiting a month is too long!
Pfff! Sometimes DW fails to make their deadlines for monthly's!
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

So much for hoping...

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Armorwind
Ultra Magnus referring to Optimus Prime as his brother could just be another way to say brother at arms, like Prime says they are in one of the other issues.

How about an in-joke referring to the toys using the same mold for the truck cab? :)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Ozz
For the first time Wheelie was funny not annoying, and he didn't rhyme. :)

Thank you god, thank you god. :D

As for the deadline thing - Come on DW was born of Image. So what do you expect?

I mean Image was 2 YEARS late with a comic (stringing everyone along each month) so I don't think an extra month is that bad ;)
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Galvatron84
Pfff! Sometimes DW fails to make their deadlines for monthly's!
Do we REALLY need to bring that up again? ;)
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I finally picked up the copy the comic store was holding for me today and I must say, this storyline is actually quite good. I also wasn't confused with the flow of panels at any point in this issue.
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

the story was good i liked.. i was amazed to see that Grimlock took that missile right in the eye.. man that missile took off half of his face... whats up with that.. and here;s my question was it Magnus' missile, cause that what it looked like to me... but the point is, is that the missile nailed him in the face.. so does this mean the end of Grimlock the leader of the dinobots??!?!?! how will the dinobots move on with this great loss... FIND OUT NEXT TIME!! when we return to TRANSFORMERS #5:D
One shall stand, One shall fall...