Pat lees character proportions

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Pat lees character proportions

Post by Lambda prime »

Pat lee's Transformers were okay in Dreamwaves first Mini-series, the team gave the comic a animated epic feel with the colouring, but i felt that some of his characters were wrong it was his depiction of Devastator and Superion in issues 4 and 5. They were far too big, they should both be twice the size of the taller Transformers such as Optimus, soundwave and Megatron, not five times. Anyone see any others they didnt like?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I don't like that ugly "inflatable" look that's becoming worse and worse in vol. 2...
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

well, all i can say is, at least it's more consistent than the marvel comics from the eighties.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

inflatable look???

Dead End :"If we give away our energon cubes we're doomed.

Break Down :"If we don't we're doomed too.

Dead End :"Face it We're Doomed
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I think the 'inflatableness' of the characters is also a result of Dreamwave's coloring. Pat draws them kind of plump, but the colors make them look like balloons. Forget lasers, they should fire thumb tacs at each other.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

Okay now I understand, I just don't see it my self ;)

Armorwind
Protoform

Post by Armorwind »

This "giant" depiction of the Gestalts could kind of emphasize the danger that the humans were in, or it could also show the humans' fear of the Transformers. If you saw a robot that was a hundred feet tall, you would be really scared. But, imagine if the robot was the size of "Godzilla!", that certainly would seem more frightening. Maybe that sort of adds a realistic twist to the fear of the humans in the comic?
Life's too short to worry...

Which Colossal Death Robot Are You?
Mirage_F1
Protoform

Post by Mirage_F1 »

But it was cool how prime kicked devastator any way.
Signature by: LiquifiedTiger, Applaud everyone! Special thanks.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I got G1 V2 #3.... God, I hope Tracks doesn't get a central role, that tiny image of him was so ****ing ugly you could give it a stupid accent and call it Ruby Wax... And don't give me that "it's a small picture" ****, we nailed that for an excuse this time last year...
Mirage_F1
Protoform

Post by Mirage_F1 »

I think that pat lees pencil look bad when you see the transformers far away and small, they look really crappy. But still when he does close ups.. they rock sooo badly.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

I have to say, volume one looked better than volume 2

I don't know if the artist changed, what I do like is that with overview's almost no generic robots are used.

Streetwise
Protoform

Post by Streetwise »

Originally posted by Ballplayer
I have to say, volume one looked better than volume 2

I don't know if the artist changed, what I do like is that with overview's almost no generic robots are used.
\

Pat Lee is still the artist.
The matrix is no mere weapon! No simple energy source! It is POWER! Ultimate, unfathomable power! --- Scourge (The burden hardest to bear)
Mirage_F1
Protoform

Post by Mirage_F1 »

He retains the charm of the genration one transformers very well yet it is a refreshingly modern look too, I guess that the transformers always had really good designs. Optimus Prime in the mini series looked awesome.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

With his white tits, oversized legs, emotionless face and the worst version of the Op truck cab since some **** at Takara or Hasbro designed the cab for PM Prime [or Ginrai... I really couldn't care much less which version came first...]... Oooookay. I suppose your idea of a bad rendering of Prime would be Geoff Senior's one in UK #98 then?

It's opposites land! Hot snow falls up!

At least I assume that's what's going on... or is all this praise of Pat irony I just haven't tapped into? :smokin:
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

i dont see a problem with pats artwork, its not the best tf official comic artist but he is by far not the worst, for that i look to jose delbo (i was going to say frank springer who did the original 4 part miniseries right but i decided not to cos it can be excused as "its a miniseries to promote toys so who the hell cares how i draw")

i'd say i like this volume better than volume 1.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
the worst version of the Op truck cab since
I second that. At least Lee was consistent and has matched Prime's cab mode to his robot mode, as compared to the weird Goldbug discrepancies in MTMTE #2...
Still, the cab looks just plain awful. And MUCH worse than PM Prime!!!! :p
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
i dont see a problem with pats artwork, its not the best tf official comic artist but he is by far not the worst, for that i look to jose delbo (i was going to say frank springer who did the original 4 part miniseries right but i decided not to cos it can be excused as "its a miniseries to promote toys so who the hell cares how i draw")
An obviously messy production process [the clear uncertainty over character models, the blatant "inserts" with Shockwave] led to most of the art problems in the first Marvel mini... but the Delbo is worse than Lee argument really is a dire one, you know. Hey, that North Korean chappy, he's actually okay, as Saddam's a much bigger prick, right? It also helps Pat that by running the company he can take as long on a book as he likes, and having Adobe Photoshop doesn't hurt... That said, all the boffo-socko technology and DW's brave stand at refusing to bring a comic out in the same quarter as the month mentioned on the cover comes to ****-all when so far they've given us a re-run of The key to Vector Sigma Pt. 2 segued with War of the Dinobots, and followed it up with a 3rd-rate fanfic...

And Nevermore, Goldbug's art in MTMTE was horrid! I agree! How can a VW, with blatant VW parts on the robot mode, have absolutely no curved parts? Lots of the MTMTE artwork really hasn't been up to scratch, especially some of the "triangle" car modes [Fizzle, for one...].
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

And Nevermore, Goldbug's art in MTMTE was horrid! I agree! How can a VW, with blatant VW parts on the robot mode, have absolutely no curved parts?

Aside from the fact that the Marvel version of Goldbug wasn't any less bulky :p , I still wonder why Bumblebee's gone through a major redesign complete with an all-new alt mode (that's supposed to be the New Beetle, isn't it?) while Goldbug, the "final evolution" of Bumblebee, is still/again the old bug model...

Hey! I confess! I'm one of the few Goldbug fans out there! Why not have Goldbug (whom most people seem to ditch in favor of his former self) become the New Beetle model (which Bumblebee fans seem to ditch in favor of the old bug) instead? That way, everyone would be happy. :p

Originally posted by Blitzwing
I think the 'inflatableness' of the characters is also a result of Dreamwave's coloring. Pat draws them kind of plump, but the colors make them look like balloons. Forget lasers, they should fire thumb tacs at each other.

I think not. This looks like a robot made of shiny metal. This looks like a giant inflatable beach toy.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

An obviously messy production process [the clear uncertainty over character models, the blatant "inserts" with Shockwave] led to most of the art problems in the first Marvel mini... but the Delbo is worse than Lee argument really is a dire one, you know. Hey, that North Korean chappy, he's actually okay, as Saddam's a much bigger prick, right? It also helps Pat that by running the company he can take as long on a book as he likes, and having Adobe Photoshop doesn't hurt... That said, all the boffo-socko technology and DW's brave stand at refusing to bring a comic out in the same quarter as the month mentioned on the cover comes to ****-all when so far they've given us a re-run of The key to Vector Sigma Pt. 2 segued with War of the Dinobots, and followed it up with a 3rd-rate fanfic...

And Nevermore, Goldbug's art in MTMTE was horrid! I agree! How can a VW, with blatant VW parts on the robot mode, have absolutely no curved parts? Lots of the MTMTE artwork really hasn't been up to scratch, especially some of the "triangle" car modes [Fizzle, for one...].

just wondering what that has to do with my original post, i dont see how the argument of lees art vs. delbos art is dire. as we are talking about their art.... nothing else.
Grendel
Protoform

Post by Grendel »

i like how thwy look in the dreamwave comics
Beer is good.