Transformers: More than Meets the Eye Season One #1-22

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ye Annual be in it.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Kungfu Dinobot

Post by Kungfu Dinobot »

Somebody on the IDW message boards said the pre-wars Cybertronian society is the perfect mirror of western society. Can anyone confirm that?

Because the guy who said it also thinks the Drift mini is an "epic" redemption story (minus the fact that McCarthy actually intends for the entire autobot army to be redeemed), so I think he's possibly insane.
zigzagger

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #13

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #13 preview @ Full Metal Hero.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

A couple weeks late, this one. Does that mean we're still getting #14 this month as well? That'd be a treat :)

Anyhooo, the preview...

Art is a little all over the place on this one. Not horrible, but also not up the usual standard.

Fun stuff, though. Clearly a filler issue. A little breather before you-know-who is unleashed on the Lost Light. I can dig it.

So, uhh...Verity Carlo is a reflection of Ultra Magnus's psyche, eh (judging by the cover, at any rate)? That's...that's hilarious. Who knows -- perhaps beneath Magnus's grim and soldierly exterior as an impulsive brat just screaming to run wild.

Oh, oh, and look! It's a Torkuli! You know, from Webworld. Huh, there's an easter egg I thought I'd never see.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The preview had me chuckling :) Guido's gone for a very clean style here, suits the tone of the book, but I sometimes find such clean line drawings of TFs can quickly become a bit of a jumble - that sequence with Drfit bundling Swerve is a bit unclear.

Milne's cover seems to have slipped to his default 'spiky' style.

Looking forward to the real deal as ever, I love this book.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

At last! I feel like I've been waiting years for this comic. I had as flick through, but as usual decided to wait until I have a pap pet cop put on my hand to read it properly.
I like bears.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I don't know - the art looks great to me.

Plenty of Tumblr-bait here with the avatars and, oy, that panel where Rodimus comments on Tailgate and Cyclonus' relationship. Nothing wrong with that - I expect it keeps the sales healthy and is funny to boot.

Who is the mauve chap on security detail with Drift?

Often I don't know whether to grimace or giggle at profile-based jokes but Swerve's remark about Whirl's 'No known weaknesses' is kind of genius.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The mauve guy is one of the euro g1.5 autobot aquaspeeders - he may have been called aquafend (i think) the figure made it into the g2 line up as jetstorm,whom was black and a decepticon.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Just had first read through of this - quite dense which I like. All I'll say for know is that the bit with Swerve at the end made me make an actual :(

Well done Roberts & co.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Had a real feel of the Excalibur pub issue.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Amazing how an issue where they basically sit in a bar and drink can be this good.

Bullet points: Swerve is up and running with no mention of his face off last issue. Whirl is f*cking lovely. What was his epic showdown with his nemesis? He crept up when he was sleeping, smashed his brain and put that magic wand up his...

Immense flashbacks of American Horror Story season 1 ensue.

Their avatars were awesome even if used for only a few pages. I laughed out loud with Tailgate's and Whirl's was adorable. All the scenes with Cyclonus were fun and adorable, given how a strict character like him views Tailgate. It's like seeing House warm up to a total stranger and only to him. I almost called it on Tailgate last issue, big reveal here.

And Swerve's character really came along. His entire story with Blurr was touching, but not the way you'd want it.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

I like Swerve...but I'm starting to get worried about where they're taking his character. I don't know if I'm going to be happy with how his character developement ends. :(

Also...was it just me, or was he trying to insinuate that Drift and Rodimus are...um...well, you know...I don't even know what you would call "boy" bot on "boy" bot love, but that? That whole scene was just a little odd.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

At best I'm trying to ignore the whole pairing of bots. It's the one aspect of the book I pretend doesn't exist.

As for Swerve, well, it sort of includes depth and even depression on an otherwise pretty cheerful bot. More than often I find myself comparing him to Hurley of Lost. Both are mostly comic relief characters with some not so fitting background stories for their psyches.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Just finished reading the comic (haven't read the... other thing yet) and once again it was the best thing I'd read all month.
I was expecting a bit of fun, forgettable fluff but actually it was really emotional stuff. Poor Swerve...

Loved Rung's "Mary Sue" line.
I like bears.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Brimstone wrote:Also...was it just me, or was he trying to insinuate that Drift and Rodimus are...um...well, you know...I don't even know what you would call "boy" bot on "boy" bot love, but that? That whole scene was just a little odd.
Piss-take for the audience. The whole issue was. Fairly sure that "temple of the raging prism" was either meant to suggest or in the script said priapism as well.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Now my disdain for Verity is well known, so after a large groan came out of me after seeing the cover I was mighty relieved she wasn't really in the comic. Regardless of what I think of her (and the cover was also a shame as it buggered up the "Surprise" of the avatar), Magnus missing her so much came out of nowhere didn't it? They barely spoke in their brief Wreckers shared screentime and he's not shown any sign of missing her since. It's more than time to let that character fade into obscurity, not to randomly make her someone's secret pain.

The other bug bear was the "Mary Sue" gag, which was a bit on the nose, as if Roberts' was annoyed at people pointing out Rung is basically an author substitute (the irony being that Rewind's avatar in the same panel looks suspiciously like a caricatured Roberts). I guess they chickened out on Matt Smith after the first panel as well, later in the comic he looked much more like a non-copyright infringing version (I'm guessing the others are all based on people/characters as well? I'd bet Guido is in there).

Niggles aside, another great fun issue. Who'd have thought having his face shot off wouldn't be the saddest thing that'd happen to Swerve in this book? Absolutely heartbreaking, as was Tailgate's secret. God damn it, Cyclonus is just made of awseomownium isn't he?

Based on the short story... I'm now more convinced than ever Rodimus is in on Overlord's presence. Otherwise his total dismissal of Rung's claim goes beyond him being a bit foot loose and fancy free and into the territory of being a complete incompetent.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Oh, also, just a speculation...with basis, but...

I'm getting the feeling that Guido Guidi wasn't the main penciler that was supposed to do this. Part of the reason why it was delayed was that he perhaps had to step in and do everything from the get-go.

I'm sure many will agree with me that the guy who almost single-handedly penciled AHM can do much, much better than this issue. Maybe it's the inkers or the colourist, but some panels feel way too rushed.

Or it's that I've gotten way too used on Alex Milne's detail.
EDIT: On second reading, his style is up to his standards once they reach the bar. It's mostly the preview pages and especially Drift that look...weird.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Never has an issue given me such a mixed range of emotions. Jeez! Is it any wonder why Rung joined up with the Lost Light. This crew has a lotta baggage.

Notes:

Tailgate -- Okay, I'm an idiot. Because, evidently, I'm the only person on the internet that didn't suspect he was a fraud at some point. Explains why Cyclonus initially didn't care much for him. Mind, I still adore the guy - if anything, this revelation makes him more relatable - but, yeah, he is kinda 'pathetic'.

And looking back, it makes so much sense now. Gah! Damn you, Roberts! There's so much cleverly concealed subtext sprinkled throughout the pages of MTMTE, can you blame me that this one completely zoomed over my head? ;)

Swerve -- Swerve is just a simmering pot of hidden insecurities...as we all suspected, I'm sure. Just like Tailgate, actually. Nobody wants to room with him. His 'friendship' with Blurr? All in his head. He's so desperate, it's heartbreaking. What a sad, sad little clown Swerve is :(

Ultra Uncle Magnus -- Well, turns out he's human...err, a person (for lack of a better word), after all. He craves social interaction...he just lacks the social skills to form any meaningful relationships. It was endearing to see him try, though. In both stories, actually. His inability to tell a joke without butchering the punchline was particularly charming. In a sad sorta way...

Have a quibble, though; Uncle Mag's OCD schtick has worn thin. It's difficult for me to take the character seriously anymore. Especially when this (clearly) character-defining quirk has made Magnus the constant butt of the joke.

Also -- I know it was played for laughs and all, but...seem to recall Magnus telling Tailgate to 'relax' back issue #5. Just sayin'...

Cyclonus -- Since the annual, Cyclonus really is shaping up to becoming one of the best things about this series. He's just wonderful. It's tragic (though perfectly understandable) that the rest of the crew, sans Tailgate, are unable to see that.

Rodimus -- Not much character work in the main story, but there were some brow-raising moments in the "Signal to Noise" short. I'm of course referring of his reaction to Rung's story. Mmm, yeeeaah, something fishy about that...

[RANT]While on the subject; apparently some folks (on the other boards) seem to be all in a huff over that one panel. I...I just don't see it.

Drift was dropping by Rodimus office to teach him how to parry. Drift then reaches over and corrects his stance.

That's what I saw. Not seeing slash-fic bait here.[/RANT]

More rambling to come.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Knightdramon wrote:I'm sure many will agree with me that the guy who almost single-handedly penciled AHM can do much, much better than this issue. Maybe it's the inkers or the colourist, but some panels feel way too rushed.
Agreed. I think you're right about their being a rush somewhere in the art department, because there are some frames in the first few pages that looked more like half-finished sketches than Guidi's usual good showing.
zigzagger wrote:Swerve -- Swerve is just a simmering pot of hidden insecurities...as we all suspected, I'm sure. Just like Tailgate, actually. Nobody wants to room with him. His 'friendship' with Blurr? All in his head. He's so desperate, it's heartbreaking. What a sad, sad little clown Swerve is :(
The irony, of course, being that if Swerve would just shut up and be himself instead of trying to entertain and captivate everyone around him people would probably like the guy a lot more.
zigzagger wrote:Have a quibble, though; Uncle Mag's OCD schtick has worn thin. It's difficult for me to take the character seriously anymore. Especially when this (clearly) character-defining quirk has made Magnus the constant butt of the joke.
Agreed. It's gotten to the point where that's practically the only personality trait that Ultra Magnus has, and it really makes it hard to look at him as anything but a joke even when he's stomping on Decepticons. I was hoping that his vacation would lend him a bit more character depth, but it doesn't seem like any of the feelings he expressed while drunk are going to be rising to the surface any time soon. :(
zigzagger wrote:While on the subject; apparently some folks (on the other boards) seem to be all in a huff over that one panel. I...I just don't see it.
I think this is a case of people seeing what they want to see, not what's actually there.

For the issue as a whole, I thought it was very good. A nice "breather" issue after the intensity of the last few. It was jam-packed with character development too, giving us a deeper look at Swerve, Tailgate and Cyclonus. Whirl is still a dick, too. Getting Magnus to drink "weapons grade nucleon" was hilarious, though. Full points for that one, you deviant little SOB.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that panel. I don't think I would have thought anything if it wasn't for Rodimus talking about someone else's relationship at the time, and if it hadn't come hot on the heels of last issue. I think, like everything else in the whole issue, Roberts was just throwing in a gag for the fans.
I like bears.