Getting Paid 2 Stay N Haunted Houses.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You are 15 years older than him. Mr Stay-in-Haunted-Houses-as-a-Career is about your age, though.

Most of my financial habits are formed from lessons picke up over the past 5-10 years from uni onwards; some lessons were fun, some not so much. It is quite moral-boosting with a kid on the way in an odd fashion - if we both managed to keep a roof over our head with some of the grotesque reckless spending we've managed in recent times (I spent money on Reveal the Shield figures, I might as well have burnt the cash) we've got lots of scope to reign it in.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Cliffjumper wrote:You are 15 years older than him. Mr Stay-in-Haunted-Houses-as-a-Career is about your age, though.
Wait, my age or 15 years older than me? Because if its the latter, that makes me sad . . .
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

You're 15 years younger than everyone here. You bastard.

I really, really liked the stone tape theory for explaining ghosts the first time I heard it back in the '90's (on a Rolf Harris fronted documentary of all things IIRC). The idea just sounded at least semi-plausible whilst being totally awesome at the same time.

I was disappointed a few years later to find out than Nigel Kneal had in fact completely made it up when he wrote (of all things) The Stone Tape. For some reason lots of "Serious Ghost Experts" have taken it up as some really old long established idea even though it was invented for a spooky special in the '70's.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Summerhayes wrote:I've little time for ghosts, I'm too busy making tin foil hats to keep out the aliens.
The missus, on the other hand, is convinced there is a ghost in our flat, based on the admittedly sound evidence that the lights flicker when she's in the room (they may or may not flicker when she's not in the room, but that's a whole philosophical debate) and the plumbing is a bit loud.
Flickering lights is the wiring in the house. Our house was built 1998 and although we own it outright, it was built as Housing Association stock, so whilst it's built to a decent standard, we found that some of cabling for the electrics doesn't stretch to some light fittings , causing the flickering that you get - so basically, that's loose wiring (seem to have sorted that myself, though). Some areas also experience disruption in the Grid more than others which can cause the same.

Noisy plumbing is air trapped in your supply. You can try bleeding your radiatiors to relieve some of that. It can also be when there's been an interuption in your water supply, so to solve that, simply turn on your first feed cold tap and switch your internal stop tap on and off about four times and that will sort that out.

So yeah, not ghosts.

...what a boring reply. I am 34 and dead inside.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I prefer "learned" or "wiser".

Although if we start banging on about sheds there's no ****ing hope...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...i have a shed.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

My Dad has something like eight; I'm desperately hoping they'll be in my brother's half of the will.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Sheds are okay until as long as you can take something out and put it back without doing your back in.
Skyquake87 wrote:blah blah blah blah

So yeah, not ghosts.
Believe me, I've tried explaining that a helluva lot of times.
inflatable dalek wrote:You're 15 years younger than everyone here. You bastard.
:lol: yep, for me Beast Wars is retro.
I really, really liked the stone tape theory for explaining ghosts the first time I heard it back in the '90's (on a Rolf Harris fronted documentary of all things IIRC). The idea just sounded at least semi-plausible whilst being totally awesome at the same time.
Isn't that basically the plot of Source Code?
This one's a good'n. http://www.cracked.com/article_18828_th ... tings.html
"Serious Ghost Experts"
Lol.
I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

My favourite ghost picture evaaaaar.

I don't believe in ghosts. But I love ghost photography/stories that go with them. Sometimes on slow days at work, I'll end up googling that shit, and it keeps me entertained in between being bitched out by unhappy phone voices.

Money: I'd managed to make it through the early half of my 20's without accumulating much debt, to the point where I felt safe acquiring a large-sum credit card (which I needed at the time to pay for some classes I'd planned on taking). I hit various rough patches over the years/have had failed attempts to go to school (phobias suck, but I think they've become manageable... not that it's doing me much good now) and have built up a bit of debt with cc's and student loans (significant but still less than 10,000, thank goodness) that I'm afraid to tackle. I'm not certain what our financial future will look like what with Hound being unable to work until he gets his PR and me going to be popping out a little one here pretty soon... But now that the holidays are over and I'm making substantially more money than I have been for the past bit, I feel it's time to look at knocking it down some. I'd like to be debt-free within two years, or perhaps only have a slight amount of necessary debt (i.e., a mortgage would be nice).
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ah, so that's where the Lass o' Gowrie nicked their branding from.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sades wrote:I'm not certain what our financial future will look like what with Hound being unable to work until he gets his PR and me going to be popping out a little one here pretty soon...
You could get the kid a job in a Hasbro sweatshop fairly soon after birth if that'd help.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

What is a shed?

I ran it through Leo translator, but I get either barracks or a small hut like to store garden tools in.

For economics, I have been saving money the past years as written and with the bigger bonus of working in china (and maybe move to India for two more years) I want to buy an old German stud work timber house when we get back.
I love this medieval architecture, too bad 99% was destroyed in the cities by the allied bombing raids in WW2.

.... and no ghosts will be included in the purchase.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

It's a small hut for keeping tools in.
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Haunted Buildings.

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

Well, Happy New Year and thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I hope that I didn't rack everyone's nerves by asking about this haunted house; I just wanted to know if anyone happened to have any knowledge about such a "program"; that's all. In the past, there were actual situations - though not very many - of people getting paid to occupy haunted buildings for a short period of time. Given the fact that this topic was not related to TRANSFORMERS in any way, I put this thread in the Off-Topic General Discussion Part of the forum. I certainly did not mean this to be spam, and I am not a spambot. (No pun intended!) Even as you read this message, I have been trying several other ways to find out if anyone knows anything about Getting Paid to Stay In Haunted Houses, including going on forums that discuss supernatural/paranormal phenomena. The bottom line is, I am trying to acquire some more money so I can keep with the rest of my fellow TRANSFORMERS fans and all of my other geek acquaintances as well. This lagging behind stuff has gotten me depressed this past Holiday Season. Well, with that topic squared away now, I am coming back home to robots. Are there any good trailers for the upcoming TRANSFORMERS 4 and TERMINATOR 5 movies out there yet? Also, I heard that someone is remaking the first ROBOCOP movie. (Personally, I think ROBOCOP 3 was the movie that needed to be redone; I thought that it was just awful! I think that the Punk Scene is cool and everything, but the Splatterpunks - my Heavens, who ever heard of such?) Speaking of other machines, there is a DEATH RACE 3 (Lots of destruction and carnage!) and FAST AND THE FURIOUS 6 coming out soon as well; and I can't wait to see them. What do the rest of y'all think? :noevil:
:devil: Image :angel:
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Sades wrote:My favourite ghost picture evaaaaar.

I don't believe in ghosts. But I love ghost photography/stories that go with them. Sometimes on slow days at work, I'll end up googling that shit, and it keeps me entertained in between being bitched out by unhappy phone voices.
OMG! You just reminded me of the best ghost-related anecdote ever!
Basically, I did a seven-month stint at the local newspaper and we got sent a photo of a so-called ghost. It was all very exciting and was even picked up by the nationals. Then the next day, we were sat in the office and I looked at the picture and thought "hang on a second . . . that's Anakin Skywalker!"
The official story was that it was a simple double exposure, but seriously, how do you accidentally superimpose Anakin Skywalker onto your photos? She was trolling.
inflatable dalek wrote:You could get the kid a job in a Hasbro sweatshop fairly soon after birth if that'd help.
Oooooh! Hasbro may need an ice pack after that BURN
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey wrote:I am coming back home to robots.
Maybe that would be more deserving of a new thread? Or perhaps just this one.
Are there any good trailers for the upcoming TRANSFORMERS 4 and TERMINATOR 5 movies out there yet?
Nah, Transformers is still very early days (not even filming yet, as far as I know.) Terminator is even less far along, little more than a twinkle in the studio's eye.

The rumoured Robocop remake is nothing more than a damning indictment of modern Hollywood.
I like bears.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Mr_Hi_n_Mitey wrote: I certainly did not mean this to be spam, and I am not a spambot. (No pun intended!)
Or achieved. :)
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Addl wrote:What is a shed?

I ran it through Leo translator, but I get either barracks or a small hut like to store garden tools in.
A small hut to store garden tools is exactly what it is. Mine however only has a plastic spade and old chairs in it. I was told my shed used to be a WWII bomb shelter by my letting agency but what that gaggle of incompetent ****ers know about houses does not amount to much so I reckon it was the outside loo.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Terome

Post by Terome »

This thread is pleasingly bizarre. I am deciding to believe that Hi_n_Mitey is some sort of arch genius who knows exactly the right words to bring communities together through discussions about sheds.
TravisAustin
Protoform

Post by TravisAustin »

NOTHING ESCAPES ME, NOTHIIIIIING
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Lovely stuff.