[New RPG] Characters -- how many is enough?

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Agreed. I liked Selkadoom's Hightower. He's like the only sane Constructicon among the rest of the crazies or half-insane guys.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Blaster wrote:I played him first. My claim supersedes.
Having discussed Starscream's potential elsewhere, I have now claimed him in the proper thread.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Just looked at the claims thread. Probably we'll need rules on Japanese G1 characters as well, otherwise there's nothing stopping someone from claiming a roster full of Japanese characters. Or for someone like me to drop everything and claim Grand Maximus, Dai Atlas, Grandus, Victory Leo, God Ginrai,Overlord, Black Zarak, Sixknight, Metrotitan, Greatshot and whomever there that's unclaimed.

Jus' saying, since the current RPG has one...
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

I don't see why the rule should be Japanese characters, but I can see a limit on Leader-type fellows. I could see a problem with Ginrai, Thunderwing, and Scorponok far more than say, Black Shadow, Blue Bacchus, and Gaihawk.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Yeah, I meant Japanese faction leaders — God Ginrai, Blackzarak, Overlord, Deathsaurus, Victory Leo, Star Saber, Dai Atlas and their ilk. Guys like Blood and Jalgar and Pipo and Blacker and Minerva would be harmless enough.

Just saying, there should be a line about them on the rules, just like our current game's rules.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

But why Japanese leaders rather than just leaders? Stop trying to make a point while I'm arguing semantics, dang it!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

But technically Optimus and Megatron are Japanese leaders as well!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I really don't see the problem, to be honest. Every new character who gets introduced needs to find a niche that makes sense in the new history that we're writing. As long as players can do that with any Japanese leaders they want to play, they'll be fine.

The reason we've got the rule in place now is that every Japanese leader character literally fell out of the sky directly from their show of origin, landed in the game and spent most of their time acting like anime caricatures. There were a few exceptions to that, but it had gotten far too prevalent and needed to be reigned in.

I don't think we'll have the same problem here, because characters aren't allowed to fall out of the sky from a different dimension. They need to make sense in the context of the new game, in terms of backstory, power level and behaviour. That applies to Star Saber or Dai Atlas just as much as it does to Sixshot or Omega Supreme.

Also, keep in mind that many of the most powerful Japanese guys would fall under our blanket ban on citybots for the moment -- Overlord, Grand Maximus, Metrotitan, Grandus, Sky Garry, Gigastorm and Brave Maximus, just off the top of my head.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Blackjack wrote:But technically Optimus and Megatron are Japanese leaders as well!
Go **** yourself!

because characters aren't allowed to fall out of the sky from a different dimension.
:(
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Be glad about that one. Otherwise Breastforce would be running around..... :D
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

I loved the dimension thing! BW Buzzsaw came from another dimension and he was an American character in a fresh game!

....I think I see the issue.

[No Boobpatrol? :( This thread's full of bad news that sucks.]
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Where's the fun in introducing a whole combiner team when nobody else has combiners? Fights would wind up going like this:

Tracks: "What is it?"

Roadbuster: "It's a Decepticon. That means it's dead!"

LioKaiser: -stomps Tracks and Roadbuster into the ground, goes looking for more Autobots to smite-

It doesn't mean versions of them won't show up in the future, but if/when they do, they won't be the ones you're used to.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

tahukanuva wrote:Go **** yourself!
Can't! :(

Well, technically they are!
Heinrad wrote:Be glad about that one. Otherwise Breastforce would be running around..... :D
You way that like it's a bad thing, Hein...
Warcry wrote: I don't think we'll have the same problem here, because characters aren't allowed to fall out of the sky from a different dimension. They need to make sense in the context of the new game, in terms of backstory, power level and behaviour. That applies to Star Saber or Dai Atlas just as much as it does to Sixshot or Omega Supreme.

Also, keep in mind that many of the most powerful Japanese guys would fall under our blanket ban on citybots for the moment -- Overlord, Grand Maximus, Metrotitan, Grandus, Sky Garry, Gigastorm and Brave Maximus, just off the top of my head.
Well, when you put it that way... :up:

BTW, to justify for Sixshot's power levels and stuff... on Earth could he be kept out of action like some sort of Phase Six last resort or something? Else with his 'evil Captain America' vanguard-breaker persona I have in mind for him, it wouldn't really be a fair fight when he fights, say, Warpath.

Add Black Zarak to that list too, I guess. And maybe that Grandus repaint from Animated.
Shine

Post by Shine »

If I manage to play my two characters well enough, would I be able to pick up a third as soon as possible?
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

A random thought about Sixshot depending on the level of development of Triplechanger technology he could be a test bed / guinea pig for the technology of multi changing so while on paper he is all powerful there are still some kinks to be ironed out