[Original RPG] Faction insignia!

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Warcry

Faction insignia!

Post by Warcry »

I ran into this page on the TF Wiki today and ended up adding insignia badges to the various faction pages (Autobot, Decepticon, Cybertronian Empire...).

But I couldn't stop myself there. A lot of the more obscure insignia caught my eye, and I ended up re-purposing some of the other badges to represent other major units in the game. I made them for the Combaticons (an embellishment of the Decepticon badge from RiD with the 'gear wheel' Energon Powerlinx logo), the Wreckers (re-coloured from the one in the old BotCon comics), the ISS (aptly, made from the security forces' badge in Animated) and the Secret Intelligence Service (based on the Shattered Glass secret police logo). I figure these are sort of like the unit patches that modern-day military formations use.

Do we have any other distinct sub-teams that deserve their own badges that I've forgotten about? And if so, what insignia should we use?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I like how Gigatron's Decepticons and Megatron's Decepticons are given different shades of purple for their insignia. Nice editing, too, on the Wrecker and SIS insignias to make the hammer and the sword more evident.

Aside from that? Minicons, maybe? Only the Cobalt Sentries spring to mind, but then they only have two members. Or Unicron cultists? Do we have Unicron cultists?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:I like how Gigatron's Decepticons and Megatron's Decepticons are given different shades of purple for their insignia.
I thought it would be fitting. The shade of purple they use on the toys is pretty consistent now, but back in the old days when they were done as stickers they frequently came in lighter shades. Since Megatron and many of his troops have been reissued or re-imagined as Classics-style toys I tend to associate the lighter-purple badges with the late-G1 toys that make up the bulk of Gigatron's troops.

Yes, I know that's crazy. :)
Blackjack wrote:Nice editing, too, on the Wrecker and SIS insignias to make the hammer and the sword more evident.
Thanks.

I just realized that the SIS logo (and the Secret Police brand it's based on) make absolutely no sense because the Autobots in those subgroups would have their cover blown as soon as anyone saw they were wearing it. Ah, well. Rule of Cool wins over logic anyway.
Blackjack wrote:Aside from that? Minicons, maybe?
Minicons for sure. I know we've seen more than two of them, too, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
Blackjack wrote:Only the Cobalt Sentries spring to mind, but then they only have two members.
We've actually had some more, lazy blue redecos of all the other cassette molds. No ideas what badge they'd wear though, other than it would have to be blue.
Blackjack wrote:Or Unicron cultists? Do we have Unicron cultists?
I don't think we have any named ones, but I might be wrong. They've been mentioned a few times though, I think. They'd wear the Blendtron/Herald of Unicron logo, I guess, although like the SIS they'd probably think twice about wearing it in public.

Also Autobot Security, with a red version of the 'security' logo from Megatron: Origin.

Also logos for Polyhex (based on the red triangle badges Straxus wears), Kaon (also from Megs Origin), and Iacon (completely made-up, meant to represent the huge domes that dominate the cityscape).
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:Yes, I know that's crazy. :)
I don't blame you. That's the kind of logic that runs here... :)

-goes off to tfu to look at insignia stickers-
Minicons for sure. I know we've seen more than two of them, too, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
I've been rereading stuff, so these things are still fresh in my mind. Here are those Minicons that have appeared in the RPG thread after the Unicron battle ('cause that's as far as I've read), other than Stratus and Chopster:
-Sparkplug (G1 Bumblebee, reformatted for some time to power up OP)
-Armada Street Action Team: Sureshock, Grindor and High Wire (combine into Quickstrike, to avoid confusion with Perceptor)
-Armada Star Saber Team: Jetstorm, Sonar and Runway
-Whatever-that-gun-is-called Team: Astroscope, Payload and Skyblast
-Land Military Team: Wreckage, Bonecrusher and Knockout
-Jolt (Armada guy)
-Comettor (Armada guy)
-Talon (fanmade Autobot)
-Doubleshot and someone else (Hatemonger's Minicons)

These are the only Minicons that have been imported into the RPG-verse, as far as memory serves. Might be more, but these are the ones that spring to my mind.
We've actually had some more, lazy blue redecos of all the other cassette molds. No ideas what badge they'd wear though, other than it would have to be blue.
A blue Decepticon insignia, simple innit? :)

Ooh, I know, ooh, could we use that Shattered Glass Decepticon Elite Guard insignia? Painted blue!
Also logos for Polyhex (based on the red triangle badges Straxus wears), Kaon (also from Megs Origin), and Iacon (completely made-up, meant to represent the huge domes that dominate the cityscape).
:up: Nice. I like them.
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

I have to say I like all of the above, except for two of the icons. The Iacon one seems a little boring to me, too many repetitive shapes, and the small detailing wouldn't necessarily work well as an icon. if it had to be shrunk to put onto a document or something small, it'd just turn into a blob. It should be bold and recognizable like the other icons.

Polyhex on the otherhand is a bit too recognizable - upsidedown triforce, recolored red. That's a shameful theft of a Zelda game icon, we're so much more creative than that, we can do better ;)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Maybe a recoloured Vehicon insignia for Polyhex? 'Cause Polyhex remind me of Beast Machines for some wacky reason. Or -looks through TFWiki's insignia page- the Transtech Decepticon symbol? No idea what the hell that is, but it looks awesome.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:I've been rereading stuff, so these things are still fresh in my mind. Here are those Minicons that have appeared in the RPG thread after the Unicron battle ('cause that's as far as I've read), other than Stratus and Chopster:
Thanks. I'll have to go through and make up pages for them later on, before I forget.
Blackjack wrote:A blue Decepticon insignia, simple innit? :)
Too simple. Cobalt blue is pretty close to the shade that I used on Gigatron's 'Con logo. :(
Blackjack wrote:Ooh, I know, ooh, could we use that Shattered Glass Decepticon Elite Guard insignia? Painted blue!
This isn't a bad idea though. I'll have a look and see what I get from it.
Aero Blade wrote:Polyhex on the otherhand is a bit too recognizable - upsidedown triforce, recolored red. That's a shameful theft of a Zelda game icon, we're so much more creative than that, we can do better ;)
We can, but apparently Straxus can't. He's absolutely covered in Triforces and other triangular symbols, especially in toy form. I had a bit of a laugh myself when I first saw it, but hey...if that's the logo he wants to use who are we to argue with him? ;)

What would you suggest for Iacon?
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

I think the Ancient Autobot's insignia has some potential. I'm thinking of stealing that for my fics, but I also think it has potential as a city logo if some editing was done to it. Give me a bit and I'll pull up something
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

a few ideas from messing around in Paint
Attachments
ialogo3.jpg
ialogo2.jpg
ialogo.jpg
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

I love it! :D

Makes me wonder what other special insignia's are going to be up soon ;)
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!