Where can I get Transformers: Devastation?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
TMM

Where can I get Transformers: Devastation?

Post by TMM »

Just wondering if anyone knows where i can get transformers devastation without spending ridiculous amounts of money? i pretty much have all the graphic novels except some of the ones released in the last few months, except this one, and it's bugging me, if you look on amazon etc, it's always fetching ridiculous amounts of money for a book

any ideas?
First we crack the shell... Then we crack the nuts inside!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Download it off rapidshare? ;)

Um... eBay?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

International listings don't seem that prohibitive - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRANSFORMERS-DEVA ... 2c548d179e

Well, aside from the story not being worth paying for.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Cliffjumper wrote:Well, aside from the story not being worth paying for.
That was why I suggested Rapidshare. Or Torrent.
TMM

Post by TMM »

Cliffjumper wrote:International listings don't seem that prohibitive - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRANSFORMERS-DEVA ... 2c548d179e

Well, aside from the story not being worth paying for.
might have to go international on it,have had trouble in past with customs, even for cheap items, but i might risk it.

so the story isn't great then? it's more to complete the set that i want it, that particular set i have felt has been very average to be fair
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ask the seller to mark it as a gift and you're 99% to get past customs.

Without wanting to spoiler you too much, it's just a big anticlimax, not helped by a pointless 'B' plot which takes up too much space and screws what's left of the pacing. I'm not a big fan of IDW's stuff in general, but found "Escalation" to be a real step in the right direction, only for "Devastation" to be a massive let-down and roughly the point I stopped caring.
TMM

Post by TMM »

Cliffjumper wrote:Ask the seller to mark it as a gift and you're 99% to get past customs.

Without wanting to spoiler you too much, it's just a big anticlimax, not helped by a pointless 'B' plot which takes up too much space and screws what's left of the pacing. I'm not a big fan of IDW's stuff in general, but found "Escalation" to be a real step in the right direction, only for "Devastation" to be a massive let-down and roughly the point I stopped caring.
i'll check it out, i've enjoyed reading them so far, but nothing has really stuck in my mind as being an awesome story that i'll remember forever.

i am a big fan of the all hail megatron stuff, and am also looking forward to getting my hands on some of the new stuff like ironhide and bumblebee.

i have a collection of about 100 or so 80's comics as well all filed away, and some of the best of uk type stuff.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Two words: Avoid Bumblebee.

For recent comics, Ironhide is surprisingly nice for what I thought is a throwaway miniseries. The ongoing alternates between readable and anal. Basically, after all the brouhaha that surrounded AHM, Mike Costa simply stopped caring about maintaining continuity proper. But instead of doing the logical thing and reboot the damn thing, he goes off on his own story, rewriting characters like Prowl and Hot Rod, while dropping hints here and there that say 'look this is teh IDW Furman/McCarthy discontinuity!' and killing off characters for no good reason. And focusing on humans. God.

The original G1 series contain some of the best stories in Transformers, IMO. So long as you could get past the art and the to-sell-toys stories, it's actually much better than the pretty-arts-meh-stories IDW and DW. As long as you have a decent reference to sort out the headaches that is the US/UK/UK future timelines hybrid continuity.

Here's Cliffy's guide. TFWiki (the Marvel issue pages are still informative enough) and the Allspark (was it?) are nice references. God knows it's helped me with figuring out the Marvel continuity.
Terome

Post by Terome »

You could get Transformers: Nefarious, a mini-series running at present, which is exactly the same as Devastation.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Devastation isn't as bad as Nefarious...
Terome

Post by Terome »

Oh dear.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Devastation is where it all started going wrong for me as well. Even allowing that AHM was announced before it finished so there may well have been some drastic last second rewrites to get things set up for a rapid conclusion in the next mini, there's no excuse for some of the bad choices made. "Hey, should we resolve this whole Ironhide thing, or waste a page on Grimlock that will have no bearing on this mini series and repeats information that'll be given out at the start of his Spotlight anyway?"
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Not to mention skirting around revealing Scorponok's name, and finally showing his head in a gigantic one-page spread.

And having Wheeljack and Ironhide recovered by Hardhead offscreen.

But Devastation is still readable, compared to, say, the second half Revelations or the final few issues of AHM. Or Nefarious.
andersonh1
Protoform

Post by andersonh1 »

I recently bought the individual issues of Devastation off Ebay for $1.50 each, and $2.00 for #1. I just gave up trying to get the trade paperback.