Universe 2.0 Prowl (2)-[PROOFED, needs pics]

Post by Blackjack »

Name: Prowl
Allegiance: Autobot
Function: Military Analyst/Strategist, Second-in-command
Subgroup: Autobot Cars; Earthforce; Universe 2.0 Classics Deluxe
Accessories: Laser Rifle

"Logic is the ultimate weapon."

Ah, Prowl. Good ol' Prowl. He was there from the very beginning, when Optimus Prime decided to set off in the Ark and crashed it onto Earth. Essentially Prime's second-in-command in both the comics and the cartoon, Prowl sadly did not get much screen time in the latter. Still, in the cartoon Prowl made regular appearances throughout the first season and secondary roles throughout the second season. Sadly, Prowl never got a 'toy-of-the-week' episode. Prowl met his end in the first few minutes of Transformers the Movie, being gunned down in one shot by Scavenger of all people. R.I.P., Prowl. In the comic, Prowl had a more major role. While originally he's about the same character with the cartoon Prowl, later he evolved into his own character, an able and talented leader, even taking over command for several issues at one point when Optimus Prime was head-napped by Shockwave. Sadly, with the need to promote introduce new toys characters, Prowl was sidelined. But since this is the comic, he did get a few lines here and there. The UK's backup strips were more favourable to Prowl, and he featured more there. Prowl more or less disappeared after the Underbase saga, killed off-screen by Starscream. When Simon Furman took over the reins of the US comics, Grimlock revived a lot of popular characters (mostly because they were getting Action Master toys, but also to revive characters we all like). Prowl arrived in time for the Unicron battle, and had major roles in the aftermath and G2 comics, often playing the cool, calm and collected officer to Grimlock's brash, kill-all warrior.

Apparently Prowl survived into the Beast Wars era, and had adapted the form of a lion. He's able to combine with Silverbolt and Ironhide into Magnaboss.

In the Dreamwave comics, he has less characterisation than his cartoon self. War Within, however, gave Prowl a nice role. After Dreamwave shut down, IDW kicked off with a new start. Prowl became a prick, but basically the same character as before. He got a totally cool redesign, though, and it is one of the major influences for this toy we're reviewing right now.

Of course, since the Universe design of Prowl is a toy, Hasbro insisted that it's a priority over E.J. Su's design. Bummer.

Prowl, along with Megatron, Optimus, Mirage and Starscream, rank among the name that's reused almost in all of the Transformers series. In G1, Prowl was among the first Autobots to be released, sharing a mold with Bluestreak and later Smokescreen. At the end of G1, Prowl got an Action Master toy. G1 Prowl would later get various reincarnations as a Machine Wars toy, an Alternators toy, the Beast Wars combiner toy, and several Universe toys. In Beast Wars, aside from the lion Prowl there's another Prowl, a Transmetal 2 Horned Owl. There isn't a Prowl in Beast machines, but G1 Prowl did get a cameo in the series among the corpses. RiD had two separate characters named Prowl (one of the Autobot brothers) and Prowl II (a toy only character) respectively, each turning into cars. In Armada, Prowl is a Mini-Con police car. Energon gifted us with a Prowl that's a Cybertronian police car. In Universe, there are two Prowls (one forming Defensor's chest, one is a deluxe class toy) which may or may not be any of the previous Prowls. Prowl was slated to appear in the 2007 Movie, but his concept evolved into Barricade (an evil police car). A character named Prowl did feature prominently in the comics, though. Animated gave us a new Prowl, transforming into a black police motorcycle. Animated Prowl is a ninja and thoroughly badass. And if there should be any follow-up Transformers series, there will be a Prowl.

ALTERNATE MODE

G1 Prowl transforms into a Nissan Datsun Fairlady 280ZX police car. So it is appropriate that this newest incarnation of G1 Prowl is the modern version of his original alt. mode, the Nissan Datsun Fairlady 350. Basically, it's what Prowl would look like if he upgraded himself.

His police car mode is very similar to his G1 self, yet it looks more powerful and sleek. Prowl traded in his original square-shaped police lights for a modern swept-back thing. Personally, I prefer the original square lights, but hey.

Sadly, Prowl could've been better. While his black-and-white paint job harks back to G1, somehow the white parts look a bit too bland, when compared to, say, Henkei Prowl or Silverbluestreak's excellent paint job. Also, it's made worse with the problem of 'sticky paint'. Some releases of Universe Prowl feature sticky paint. Meaning the paint applications on the door and the roof get sticky and could smudge. Mine fares better, but some the paint has been chipped/smudged/washed off on the edges. Henkei: 1, Uniclassics: 0.

Still, at least Prowl manages to pull off a realistic yet Geewun alternate mode, with an adequate paint job (the white parts could be brighter in my opinion). Besides, when you compare Prowl with, say, Octane, his alternate mode is wonderful. Possibly not up to Cyclonus standards, but it's still beautiful.

ROBOT MODE

Prowl transforms into a robot mode that looks really like his 'modern' (Dreamwave/IDW) G1 self. The main colours are still white and black, with a little red and silver appearing. Prowl's face holds a neutral expression, which could be interpreted as a stern scowl or a small smile. Robot mode Prowl is impressive, even if it's not as eye-catching as Smokescreen or Silverstreak. Prowl's paint job, however, emphasizes his no-nonsense character.

Transformation is in-between simple and complex. Certainly not mind-boggling like ROTF Skids or the Alternators, but it's no Classics Bumblebee or Rodimus. Still, he's perfect. Easy enough for you to transform in under a minute, yet complex enough for a more 'mature' toy. Another quibble with Prowl is his door joints. They easily pop off during transformation when you fold them, and the ball joints could get loose easily.

Prowl's posability is excellent. Head rotates, and he has elbow, shoulder, knee, thigh and ankle joints. The hands rotate too.

In terms of weaponry, Prowl has his acid-pellet gun from G1. Unlike G1, however, the gun had been downsized, and looks pathetic, really. To make things worse, it's really frustrating to store it under Prowl's vehicle mode. What is it with the new Uniclassics toys? All those dinky guns. I won't mind paying a little extra if that would get me a larger rifle. I mean, look at Classics Astrotrain and Grimlock. They've got big guns. Also, Prowl has two non-firing missiles on his shoulders. These should really be larger and painted silver. At least Henkei chromed them, but no such luck with the Hasbro version.

Still, he's one of the best Prowl toys, despite his flaws. In terms of toys, Smokescreen or Silverstreak are much better toys than Prowl (many of the small mistakes had been fixed, i.e. the sticky paint, the loose joints) but hey. This is Prowl.

Marks out of ten for the following:

Durability 6/10 if you get the sticky paint version, 8/10 if not. Mine is has slight sticky paint, but not as bad as some others. He has loose joints (notably the shoulders and car doors), and his neck thing seem flimsy as well. Prowl's survived a fall from the shelf, though.
Transformation 7/10 Ingenious, this. Basing on the original G1 Prowl's transformation scheme, they worked forward to make it more complex and enjoyable.
Fun 8/10 As much as I would like to give him a 10 and justify it by saying 'he's Prowl', I had to give him an eight due to his lame weaponry.
Price 9/10 You get what you're paying for.
Overall 7/10 My verdict is 7. I like Prowl as a character, and the Universe mold is wonderful, really. However, I had hoped that they include larger weaponry on subsequent toys. Also, comparing Prowl's paint job with Henkei Prowl, and his joints to Silverstreak, sadly I must give him a mere 7. Still, if you're looking for a Prowl and don't want to import Henkei, go no further.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Fricken great review bro! I really liked how you incorporated his history as a toy throughout the TF Universe, his role as a character in both cartoon and comic and the descriptive language you used.

My favorite Autobot car is Smokescreen. I used to always think he was a bad arse.
:up:
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Cool pics.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Name: Megatron
Function: Overly Dramatic Villain
Subgroup: Alternity

Megatron the character, of course, needs no introduction. The Alternity line, though, has much less history. Seemingly a revival of the now defunct Binaltech/Alternators line, Alternity continues to seek a balance between realistic vehicle modes and highly articulated robots. However, where Binaltech had realistic alternate modes, the figures often had frustratingly complicated transformations and less than stellar robot modes. The line also made extensive use of minor remolds in order to release the same body type as a different character. While Alternity has already been making use of liberal re-paints, the line currently has two unique molds with a third already announced.

To further differentiate between Binaltech and Alternity, the latter have smaller molds, about the same size as a standard deluxe figure. Judging by the Optimus Prime figure already released, Alternity also features less complicated transformations and figures that are superior in both articulation and aesthetic appeal (check out Blackjack's review for more details). The Megatron figure reviewed below is the second entry in the Alternity line.

Alternate Mode:

Megatron transforms into a Nissian Fairlady Z. I admit I'm not a car person, so all I can really say is that it's a small, silver, sporty car. He doesn't have the same level of slink as RoTF Sideswipe, but Megatron's level of detail is much higher. Aside from the Nissian branding, he has all the relevant details molded and painted. Pop open his hood and see his engine block (plus some gaps). Use his shiny, reflective mirrors to open the doors and see a nicely detail interior. Even his belly is mostly free of robot kibble. His hands, chest, and loin cloth as well as his swords are all visible, but that's it. In a final touch, if you peer into his (rubber!) wheel's wells, you'll find tiny break pads molded in. They're not painted like Prime's, but it's still a nice detail.

My only problem with this mode are that his doors only open a very small degree, and he lacks any sort of license plate. I wouldn't have gone for any of the fandom in-jokes present in the Universe line; however, I do feel that a mock-up of a Japanese plate would have been a nice extra touch of realism. Overall, nothing to detract from what is an excellent reproduction.

Robot Mode:

I really like the motif Megatron has going here. Where Prime is more or less a generic looking robot, Megatron has a very samurai-esque look to him. His doors end up as layered shoulder armor. He has an armored loincloth, and his head already has the classic Megatron helmet. Of course, the dual swords up his cool factor considerably.

The swords are solid plastic, straight-edged with a simple but interesting hilt and guard. Both have a peg that can secure them to either hip when not in use. Sadly, Prime and Megatron do not have standard hands, which surprised me, so Prime cannot properly wield a sword himself. Otherwise, Megatron has a small knife hidden behind the car seats (which, I should mention, have a pretty awesome set of details hidden under than just knives. Cool!), now on his forearms. I would question the wisdom of bringing blades against a laser toting opponent, but since these are Japanese I can only assume that Megatron adheres to Anime Rule #73:

Law of Universal Edge Defense- Any projectile attack, from a blast of magic to a hail of bullets, can be easily defended against by holding a suitably cool-looking sword or other bladed weapon between the attacker and defender, usually so that the edge cuts into the incoming attack(s), causing both halves to go flying harmlessly past the defender.

Anyway, Megatron looks good, and his articulation is comparable to Prime. However, he has one huge advantage over his counterpart: lack of die-cast. Yep, while Prime can barely stand up due to the junk in his trunk, Megatron has much less trouble. Not perfectly though. Because of the way they transform, Megatron also has quite a bit of weight on his back; fortunately his feet are designed with useful heel-spurs and an ankle hinge which help to alleviate much of the problem. The end result is a figure that can strike many dynamic poses or just loiter about, hand on hilt.

Megatron does have on little aesthetic wrinkle. Where Prime's legs were pretty solidly put together, Megatron is quite bowlegged. There's not any weakness there, and, as I've mentioned, he can stand very well. The dissonance between his upper body and his mangled legs jars the senses. Honestly, a minor quibble.

Transformation: More intuitive and less fiddly than the Alternators, but still complex. 7
Durability: Good, except that the automorph that flips his chest down screwed up after one transformation. I got it reset, but still not cool. 6
Fun: He looks really cool and turns into a realistic vehicle. An he's a samurai! 10
Price: $54.99 at BBTS, slightly less than Prime's die-cast tokus. Still expensive, though. 4
Overall: He's neat, and I like what I've seen with both figures in the Alternity line; these are high-quality figures, and the price reflects that. If you have the money (or store credit) I recommend picking them both up. If you can only afford one, Prime has a better overall aesthetic continuity, but Megatron has far more poseability. 8
Blackjack

ROTF demolishor (2)- [PROOFED, needs pics]

Post by Blackjack »

Name: Demolishor
Other names: Demolisher; Wheelbot (early production name)
Allegiance: Decepticon
Subgroup: Constructicon
Function: Demolishing; Guardian; Looking generally badass

"This world is not yours to rule. The Fallen shall rise again."

At the very moment Demolishor appeared on the first teaser of the movie (showing quick scenes of him tearing apart a bridge and tossing Prime aside; and tearing down a helicopter) some fans mistook him for the Constructicon combiner Devastator. That's how big he is. Later teasers and trailers showed that Demolishor is in fact a single Decepticon, and has no legs but wheels. I love odd-bodied Transformers. I am a Vehicon fan, and the new movie had loads of inhuman-proportions. I am also a very big Constructicon fan. Hook. Mixmaster. Scrapper. Scavenger. Bonecrusher. Long Haul. The original six, who combined into Devastator in the origina G1 series. I was very happy when I heard that the Constructicons were in the ROTF movie. Demolishor was the first 'Constructicon' to appear. Essentially, Demolishor is just two giant wheels and two large clawlike hands with a head at the centre. Trust me when I say stock photos don't do him justice. When I caught photographs of his toy on the 'net, I laughed and said 'this is going to be a pass for me'. I passed Demolishor numerous times, but ignored him. Then, I watched the movie, and I was blown away by the action scenes. The plot might not make much sense, but the action was wonderful. The Shanghai scene in which Demolishor and Sideways appeared and were taken down by the Autobots is one of the best scenes in the movie.

His awesomeness (I have a weakness for transformers that look inhuman. I also love Constructicons. So I'm biased. Sue me.), coupled with numbat's fantastic review, managed to entice me to buy his toy.

Demolishor is one of the Constructicons. But since there's a whole lot of them (there's like, thirteen of them at least; and only seven vehicles were needed to form big D), he wasn't needed to combine into Devastator. In fact, he was the first Decepticon that appeared in ROTF, and was killed early on in the movie. Apparently he's a gentle soul, waiting for a Decepticon leader to take command. In the meantime, he created a community (Awww, how sweet!) of smaller Decepticons that he guards. He was with the smaller Sideways when the Autobots and NEST arrived and mercilessly attacked. You would think that the Autobots, being the good guys, would spare them and take them into trial or lock them up, but noooo. Demolishor made a scene, that gentle giant, giving Sideways time to run for his life. Demolishor proceeded to escape. However, his efforts were for naught. The Arcee trio and the Twins pursued poor little Sideways before Sideswipe jumped into the game and showed off how good he was, by slicing Sideways into two. Demolishor, meanwhile, rolled away through the highway, running for his life. Optimus Prime was dropped from the sky and with the help of Ironhide finally brought Demolishor down. Demolishor was defeated, and he laid there, helpless, in front of Prime. Demolishor said a few cryptic words. Instead of taking him for questioning and sparing his life, Optimus Prime shot the helpless Decepticon pointblank in the face. Freedom, apparently, is the right of only non-Decepticon sentient beings.

Before I forget, the name Demolishor first appeared in the Armada series, as one of the 'main' Decepticons that appeared in the show. He transformed into a Cybertronian tank with lots of guns and stuff. In Armada's sequel, Energon, Demolishor was reformatted by Megatron into a dump truck. In Cybertron/Galaxy Force Demolishor disappeared from the TV show, but he got a toy, a repaint of his Armada toy. Thus, this is the second separate character with the name Demolishor.

Demolishor is unnamed in the movie, referred to as Demolisher in the novelisation and credited with the early name of Wheelbot in the movie credits. Oh, and to make things worse, wherever he goes (toy, game, etc) he always gets his doppelganger Scavenger's colours. Poor guy.

ALTERNATE MODE

Demolishor transforms into a Terex RH400 Excavator. The Terex is the great-granddaddy of all excavators. To establish his scale, Demolishor is smaller in scale compared to the Legends class Optimus Prime. That's how big he is. In fact, since there's a 'window' on Demolishor, you can see how small us humans are compared to the Terex. In fact, at the present the Terex is the largest steam excavator at the moment, and is as large as an office block. It could hold a run-of-the-mill excavator in his scoop shovel. This monster’s treads measures 36’ (11m) long, and it is 29’10” (8.8m) from the ground to the deck, not including the cab.

Demolishor is approximately 4” (10cm) across the treads, and is 1/110 scale, according to numbat's review. The itsy-bitsy Legends class Optimus Prime is 1/102. Voyager Demolishor is smaller scale than these figures, so meaning to achieve a proper scale, Voyager Demolishor needs to be much bigger. Holy crap.

That's... huge.

And a Terex RH400 (this one doesn't transform at all. While named Scavenger in the products, it is possible that the Terex is merely a portion of Devastator like the G1 Duocons) is only one-seventh of Devastator.

So you could imagine how big Devastator is.

Demolishor's main colours are a menacing yet not flashy blood red for the main body, light gray for the giant scoop and cab, and black for the shovel, treads and odd detailing, with smatterings of dark gray, silver, yellow, and translucent purple for the cab windows. A blink-and-you'll-miss-it Decepticon insignia adorns Demolishor's side. Technically, this is the paint job for Terex Constructicon number II, a.k.a. Scavenger. Demolishor was more white/gray in the movie. But since we already have enough gray/silver bots (I didn't get Sideways and Sideswipe mainly to their bland silver-gray colour schemes. Instead, I'm waiting for the black Dead End and red Swerve repaints for the molds), I think it's appropriate to give the red colour scheme to Demolishor.

Of course, detailings are impressive, with rivets, bolts, nuts and tiny mechanical details molded in. The caterpillar treads are rubber, but it doesn't spin to allow for transformation. No loss here, though. Of course with such a small scale and a unique robot mode, sacrifices need to be made. No sacrifice, no victory, wot? The lower back of Demolishor's alternate mode is hollow, and there are two things hanging off the sides. They look like pistons or somesuch, but they're absent in the real vehicle. Still, they don't look too out of place. Other than the piston-like things and the face (underside the vehicle), there's no robot kibble... not that there's any to hide, mind you.

Demolishor's mech alive feature is when you move the 'elbow' part of the nicely articulated shovel, the silver-coloured gears rotate. Unlike Wheelie, this doesn't interfere with transformation, and unlike Skids, this looks cool and charming.

While he cannot roll at all (due to the treads having no wheels) this is a very fun alternate mode, and one of the more realistic and fun alternate modes.

'ROBOT' MODE

I was a little confused at seeing Demolishor on the big screen. How the hell did they get those two giant wheels when Demolishor had treads? And how did one of them got up above his head? The transformation is wonderfully innovative, and makes full use of the treads unlike most of the previous toys with treads.

It's not as simple as it looks, and it's best to look at the instructions first (and judging by stock photography, Hasbro absolutely do not know a thing about transforming Demolishor). There's more fiddling with the wheels and... well, whatever you call those things that hold the wheels together. The end result is wonderful.

Demolishor's unique robot mode allows him to have a few distinct robot modes. One is his unicycle design (with one wheel behind him and one touching the ground), which is very similar to BM Thrust or ROTF Chromia. Amazingly, since his monster wheels are on ratchet joints, he is very stable. Rubber also increases friction, and as long as the upper wheel is adjusted, you'll get a gyroscopic robot mode. Damn, I love this guy.

Also, you could drop both wheels onto the ground to form the 'motorbike' mode featured in the movie as he plowed through traffic. The arms and head section can rotate 360 degrees, so either wheel can touch the ground, and he could alternate wheels. Very cool, and it is really fun to play with in person. Really, this guy can be adjusted into a variety of poses quickly.

Demolishor's face is superbly detailed, and the reddish-brown piping is excellent (though the upper wheel does get in the way at times). The paint job, of course, is inaccurate, but I still like it. Dark blood red transformers are much more attractive than plain white or gray.

His arms, however, are slightly odd. His arms are on the side, and while posable, it's a bit hard to assume a more 'normal' position. You could bend the entire shoulder forwards so that Demolishor's hand/scoop is pointing forwards, but it's awkward at best. Still, what could you expect from the limitations of a Voyager class? Ah, had this been an Ultra...

Demolishor's a unique toy and by far my favourite design for any Transformer. Highly recommended.

Transformation 6/10 Easy enough to transform, with or without instructions.
Durability 9/10 Surprisingly, Demolishor's very durable. His joints, being ratchet joints, are very durable. Demolishor has no ball joints.
Fun 11/10. That's how fun Demolishor is. A gyroscopic body design, a fun robot mode...
Price 7/10 He is a bit expensive, but you get what you're paying for.
Overall 10/10. Numbat gave Demolishor an 8, but I'm gracious enough to give him a 10. He's that great. In fact, go get him right now. He's much better than, say, Ironhide.
Blackjack

ROTF Skids (2)-[PROOFED, needs pics]

Post by Blackjack »

Name: Skids
Allegiance: Autobot
Subgroup: The Twins
Function: Warrior; Comic relief

"It's upgrade time!"

Skids is among the five new Autobots (six if you could Jetfire and Wheelie) that was introduced in Revenge of the Fallen. The five new Autobots are Jolt (appeared out of nowhere halfway through the movie), Sideswipe, Arcee(s), Mudflap and Skids. Skids and Mudflap are the Twins, and amazingly they reference G1's Micromaster Combiners. Skids and Mudflap start the film by combining into an ice cream truck, Micromaster Combiner-style. However, after proving ineffective, they upgraded into Chevrolet concept cars. Skids and Mudflap fought over the green car, Chevrolet Beat. Skids won, and got it as his car mode.

Then, Skids and Mudflap pretty much tag along with Bumblebee and the humans as they meet ex-agent Simmons, go to the museum and get teleported to Egypt. In Egypt, Skids and Mudflap's bickering accidentally uncovers the Tomb of the Primes. The Decepticons arrive; however, and the Twins, Leo and Simmons were tasked with distracting Starscream. They were unsuccessful, and were wondering where the Decepticons were gone to when a group of approximately seven construction vehicles combined into the gestalt Devastator. Mudflap got eaten by Devastator, but he proved to be indigestible and blasted his way out of Dev's maw. Skids and Mudflap then tried their best to bring Devastator down, but their antics proved ineffective, and Mudflap shot Skids in the face. Ouch. Presumably they survived the final battle.

Skids and Mudflap had been complained by some to be offensive stereotypes. Personally, I just think they're comedy relief characters with a bad language problem, that's all.

Still, being a 'punk' is a big departure from the G1's smart theoretician Skids. Skids first appeared in 1985, the second year of G1. His toy was rarer than most other cars. In the cartoon he cameoed for two or three episodes, but in the comics (especially the UK ones) he was more prominent. Then, Hasbro lost the trademark to Skids. In RiD, a character named Skid-Z was introduced. In Armada the name Skid-Z was reused as a toy-only Mini-Con. Hasbro later did the smart thing and finally trademarked 'Autobot Skids', resulting in Skids' alternators toy. Then, the movie card game got us another Skids, and now ROTF brings Skids back into the main cast.

ALTERNATE MODE

Skids, after deciding that half of an ice cream truck ain't effective, scans a green-coloured Chevrolet Beat concept. The compact car is charming, and I really like him. I mean, trucks and sports cars are wonderful, but we have very few compact cars. Hooray for Classics Bumblebee! Skids rolls quite well on the floor.

Skids' colour of choice is a subdued lime green, which, in my opinion, makes him stand out among the hordes of silver, black, red and blue robots. I mean, lime green isn't a common colour among the Transformers, but Skids delivers it perfectly. His green is a large departure from his G1's darker blue, but it's not like any of the movie Transformers (bar Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Brawl and the Fallen) have G1 colours. And he's not just solid green with windows, but rather, he has a secondary black colouring, adorning his windshield, grill, and forming a intricate pattern on either side of his vehicle mode. For someone who couldn't read Cybertonian, those patterns really look like one of those glyphs. Translucent blue form the windows, and his license plate reads 'SKIDS'. Of course. What did you expect?

Skids is pretty compact, and looks great displayed alongside other car-mode robots. He's detailed as much as any other Movie/ROTF toy, and looks simply wonderful.

ROBOT MODE

Skids' transformation is unexpectedly very complex, requiring the rotation of half of the toy, adjusting some fiddly parts and trying to figure out where each part should go to. The instructions don't help either. After the complex transformation, you get Skids as he appears in the movie—heroic dopey.

Skids' main colour is still lime green, but darker green appears for the head, arms, legs and hip, while more greys appear. Skids is very poseable, with a multitude of ball and hinge joints. His right arm is larger than the left, like in the movie, and if you press the trigger Skids' hand shoots forward. The fingers on this big arm can bend. Well, at least they found a use for the big arm... There also appears to be a gun port (or possibly the grapple launcher he uses in the Devastator fight) on his wrist, which rises up when you press the trigger that makes the 'punching action'.

However, his Mech Alive feature is rather lame, and I think that its inclusion contributed to the complexity of the transformation. Press the chest, and some panels slide away, and his head moves forward. 'Moving panels'. I'd go with a working grapple line or a gun anytime. As you could guess, Skids' car kibble all end up on his back, making him top-heavy. It's just as well that he has feet with large surface area, and the big arm helps with balance issues.

I simply adore Skids' face, with his dopey look, one eye bigger than the other, horns, and two buckteeth: one is golden, and one is silver. While I'm a little miffed by Mudflap's face, I really like Skids' dopey face. I've heard that some releases of Skids have unpainted teeth, so be careful, as there's no way to know from the packaging. Mine is painted, though. In the movie, the golden tooth fell off Skids when Mudflap accidentally shot his face.

Overall, Skids is a decent toy. Could do with some improvements (less fiddly transformation, better distribution of mass) but overall he's a nice toy.

Transformation 9/10 Skids' transformation is very complex, and very difficult the first time round. It's hard both ways, but it gets better after two or three transformations. Instructions: essential.
Durability 7/10 Being compact, Skids is quite durable. However, I am worried that his roof part might just snap off anytime during transformation.
Fun 6/10 Skids is a fun toy, with a movie role. He is quite fun, especially if you have Mudflap as well. (Would it kill Hasbro to include Skids' grapple gun?)
Price 5/10 Skids is a deluxe class toy, but the deluxes in my place are hideously priced. It's what you would expect from a deluxe, though.
Overall 7/10 Skids is an okay toy, and is highly recommended if you're aiming to collect the cast. I recommend getting Mudflap if you get him. They look wonderful together. Sure, he's got a few problems, but he's a decent toy. Unless you're one of those people who hate the Twins, you should get him. Better him than getting a repaint.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Thanks! The history of the character is something I feature in all of my reviews (bar the earliest ones).

For the pics in this review, the ones already in the site should do fine... I'm just lazy to get Prowl down from the shelf again. ;p

Smokescreen is a wonderful character, and I love his colour scheme. I'm going to get his toy some time soon.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Simply fantastic review. :up:

Megatron has swords? Cool. Now I have to get him. And I like your anime rule reference as well. That made my day! :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, who's the third Alternity mold?
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Thanks! :)

The third mold appears to be Bumblebee. BBTS has a preview pic up. He transforms into a Suzuki swift and will come in yellow and red.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Cool. What weaponry will he have?
Savannahtron

Revenge of the Fallen : Human Alliance Bumblebee (2)-[PROOFED]

Post by Savannahtron »

Name: Bumblebee and Sam Witwicky
Function: Human Alliance Team. Bumblebee functions as an Autobot Scout, and Sam Witwicky functions as his partner.

Bumblebee and Sam were best friends almost from the moment they first met face to face. As they learned more about one another, that connection grew deeper and deeper. Now, whether same is behind the wheel, or standing side by side with his friend, they work together as a team. Against Bumblebee and his human friend, no Decepticon stands a chance.

Human Alliance Bumblebee stands out as one of the best quality Revenge of the Fallen toys so far. This version of Bumblebee is highly detailed, highly articulated and very good representation of the movie character. Sam Witwicky and Bumblebee make a great team, much like I remember Spike Witwicky rolling out with the G1 Bumblebee. Generations change and the continuity has evolved, but this coupling is a great addition to the Transformers!

Alternate mode:

Bumblebee is a Chevy Camaro concept car. Canary yellow, with black trim, Bumblebee's alternate mode could easily interchange as a Binaltech or Alternator toy with the exception of rubber wheels and metal parts. Highly detailed, the seats and steering wheel are perfect sized for Sam Witwicky to fit in snugly. Sam has a peg hole on his back that fits the peg in the seat, securing him. His hands are also cupped so that they fit on the steering column. Although the Camaro is very detailed, the doors have such a tight fit that they are a bit awkward to open for Sam to get in and out of the vehicle. The box comes with a little diorama with Megatron chasing the pair as seen in the picture.

Robot mode:

Robot mode is where Bumblebee really takes the cake. He is highly detailed, and has several unique features designed specifically for Sam Witwitcky to use. First of all, he comes with a plasma pulse cannon (which also fires a missile). The arms have chairs that Sam can sit on for battle mode. The plasma pulse cannon arm has an open chair, while the other arm has a robotic hand with a pullover double blaster that Sam can use. Sam can also ride on Bumblebee's shoulders as well.

The problem with the seats is probably the only aesthetic issue that Bumblebee has. The seats do not fold over they are very distinct and looks like car seats on his forearms. This minor distraction does not take away from the overall figure, but it is worth mentioning. Over Bumblebee's right shoulder is a flip over missile launcher (sans working mechanisms or actual missiles) as well as a flip out cannon that fires over Bumblebee's head. One last cool feature is that Bumblebee has his battle mask. The battle mask sits atop of Bumblebee's helmet, and flips down looking great.
Bumblebee has tons of articulation points and looks great.

Sam Witwicky:

Sam Witwicky is the unsuspecting teenager in the first movie. In Revenge of the Fallen, Sam is off to college leaving both Bumblee and his girlfriend Mikaela Banes behind. Sam promises to keep in touch with Mikaela, refusing to say the forbidden "I L**e you" to keep his young girlfriend in suspense. When Sam misses his first video chat date with her, Mikaela heads up the campus to find out what is going on. Bumblebee couldn't stay away either. Enough with the spoilers; time to continue onto the figure.

Well, the Sam Witwicky figure is tiny! He is only about 2.75 inches tall or about 6.985 cm tall. He has really decent detail for such a small figure, with a decent face, hair, and body type for Sam Witwicky's character. His head, shoulders, hips and knees have articulated joints as well as he has peg holes on his feet for a stand and his back has a peg hole to sit inside of Camaro.

Transformation: 8. I am not giving this an 8 because it was difficult, Human Alliance Bumblebee gets an 8 because he has such a good transformation and both forms look great.
Durability: 8. Bumblebee is very sturdy and has good joints. Sam Witwicky is small, but has really good articulation considering the figure's size, and together, the interactive parts seem durable.
Fun: 9. I have always been a Bumblebee fan. I love the character, I love the addition of Sam Witwicky in the Human Alliance, and I love this toy. I was determined to find and purchase one as soon as I found out about the release.
Price: 7. I paid $32 which was a little higher than normal for a voyager sized figure. The quality of the toy quickly justified the additional cost and getting Sam Witwicky was just a bonus.
Overall: 9. Human Alliance Bumblebee is a great addition to my collection. As either a Chevy Camaro concept car or in robot form fighting side by side with fellow Autobots, Bumblebee rocks out. Sam Witwitcky is a cool figure.
Attachments
Spike Witwicky.jpg
Spike Witwicky and Bumblebee.jpg
Human Alliance Bumblebee.jpg
Detective Barricade

Universe G1 Series/ROTF Superion [PROOFED, pics to follow]

Post by Detective Barricade »

Strength: 10 Intelligence: 3 Speed: 8 Endurance: 10 Rank: 5 Courage: 10 Fireblast: 8 Skill: 7

Name: Superion
Function: Aerialbot Gestalt/Combiner
Sub-Group: Universe 25th Anniversary G1 Series/ROTF Combiners class

The mighty union of the five Aerialbots, Superion thinks of little else besides destroying any Decepticons he encounters, and protecting any innocent bystander nearby. The robots that combine to form this powerful warrior are experienced teammates, working in tandem to see that the Autobots emerge victorious from the fire of the ancient war.

Superion is one of the more iconic combiners from G1. In Energon, we got a new form of him known as Superion Maximus. For Universe and ROTF, we get a Target/Zellers exclusive repaint giftset of the Energon combiner as Superion. And I have to say, this is an interesting set. I’ll review each mold individually and then Superion himself, since there’s only three distinct ones.

Silverbolt

Alternate mode:
For this Silverbolt, he turns into a futuristic supersonic jet that very vaguely resembles a SR-71. He’s the largest of the set since he forms the central component. The arms half-heartedly form the wings, but the legs do manage to hide well enough in plain sight. He also has a pair of Mini-Con plugs, though there isn’t much room beside the tail to make use of them. A spark crystal resides along the fuselage where an energon star can be attached if you want. Finally, he features retractable, non-functional landing gear.

Robot mode:
Transforming to robot mode is pretty easy by today’s standards. Of course, since this is a straight repaint of Energon Storm Jet, he doesn’t look like G1 Silverbolt very much at all. His body is quite hollow due to the combined mode, but it’s not that noticeable from the front or back. The light-piping works very well despite the large piece of kibble on his back that would seem to obscure it somewhat. However, the quality control for the entire production run of this set must have been blind because the knees are assembled backwards, and apparently this is true on all of them. Granted, this problem is easy enough to fix, but still... With the knees fixed, he’s got 21 points of articulation.

Transformation: 3 Not as easy as the Silverbolt that forms Magnaboss or the Universe Ultra, but still very easy.
Durability: 8 Seems stable enough.
Fun: 6 He’s fun, but he lacks anything extra other than combining.
Overall: 6 He’s alright on his own if you can ignore the Powerlinx Combiner nubs on his forearms.

Air Raid/Slingshot (Airazor)

Alternate mode:
These two both end up as futuristic fighter jets that kind of resemble very squat F-22s. They have retractable, non-functional landing gear, but the barely hidden arms virtually make this a moot point. The transparent canopy on each reveals a decently detailed cockpit for a Scout sized toy. They each get a pair of cannons and a connector piece for the combined mode, as well as their very own energon star to fit over their spark crystals and pretty much leave there. The cannons can attach over or under each wing, though they don’t add to the look of them.

Robot mode:
Since they’re repaints of the Energon Treadshot/Windrazor mold, they bear little resemblance to their G1 counterparts. Moving right along, the robot modes are really well done! I personally think the mold suits Air Raid a little better than Slingshot. The weapons can be held in the hands from above or below. Or both in the same hand if you’re feeling crazy. The light-piping works wonderfully since there’s nothing to block it. Their 11 points of articulation apiece mostly consist of ball joints. Although, I’ve no idea why the shoulder ball joints are translucent...

Transformation: 4 Fun and interesting for Scouts
Durability: 8 Quite sturdy.
Fun: 8 Despite having the worst weapons out of the set, these two are very nice.
Overall: 7 Perfectly fine on their own. Even if their weapons stink.

Fireflight/Skydive

Alternate mode:
These two become futuristic assault jets, somewhat resembling A-10s. They’re easily the most convincing of the three jet molds for this combiner set. They of course include retractable, non-functional landing gear. They also have their very own energon stars to plug onto their spark crystals and leave there until it goes into the great toy box in the sky. I never really understood the whole idea behind this for Energon, but then I never watched much of it. They also have a neat double barreled cannon that can mount under or over each wing, though the nominal position is just above and behind the cockpit. There’s a molded in seat in the cockpit as well. Unfortunately, his head barely hides underneath as an odd looking turret.

Robot mode:
Now these two have hands down the best robot modes out of the individuals. Of course they don’t even have remotely the same paint schemes as G1 Fireflight and Skydive, which for something that’s also part of the Universe G1 Series is incredibly odd. That aside, they still manage to look good. They can hold their weapon in either hand. Personally, I wouldn’t want to argue with these two considering they’re left foot has a machine gun on it, they have turbine fists, they’ve got a comparatively huge gun, and ‘gun goggles’! Each of these two feature 12 points of articulation, in the same places as the other two Aerialbot limbs plus a waist. Oh and his light piping works wonderfully too!

Transformation: 4 Very intuitive and fun.
Durability: 8 The ‘gun goggles’ pop off easily, but otherwise very tough little Scouts.
Fun: 10 Just about enough weapons to kill a Decepticon to death. And the articulation to use it!
Overall: 9 My favorites out of the set. They stand out nicely alone.

Superion
Now for the combined mode. As a repaint of Energon Superion Maximus, Superion employs the ‘Powerlinx Combiner’ method. Silverbolt forms the body, the other four can form any limb or can be swapped for any limb from Classics Constructicon Devastator and/or ROTF/Universe Bruticus Maximus. Air Raid and Slingshot’s weapons really show off just how awful they are in the combined mode. They work slightly better as ‘hands’, simply because then you’re not relying on them to support the combiner’s weight. Fireflight and Skydive work okay as arms, but are phenomenal as legs. Unfortunately, the nosecone has trouble staying tabbed in it’s slot in this mode. It seems that FansProject, the company that made the City Commander armor for Classics Ultra Magnus to truly make him into Ultra Magnus, has paid attention to the faults of the limbs and is producing an Add-on accessory kit to give him proper hands and feet. Needless to say I’m looking forward to getting this.

Transformation: 3 Very easy.
Durability: 7 Air Raid loves to pop off on occasion. And the F-22-ish limbs’ weapons suck
Fun: 8 It’s articulated, but not very stable as is.
Price: 7 For about $40 CAD, it’s worth it.
Overall: 7 This set is good. But the FansProject Add-on kit for Superion may just make this set so much more worth it.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I would like to see it with the FansProject with this set.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I think the toy would be a great kitbash. I don't really like the Quasimodo face on either of the twins, but other than that, they both are decent looking bots, and have a great alt mode.

I was a bit surprised by the use of Skids (always thought of him as a thinker) as a dopey character. At least they didn't let Devastator just chomp him to bits and kill him off.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

WTF does "need proofed" mean?
Detective Barricade

Savannahtron, I believe Clay's going to be reviewing the FansProject set for this guy. So you'll have your chance to see it on Superion then.

And 'Needs Proofed' means it needs to be proof read. Whether or not you care...
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clay

Post by Clay »

Detective Barricade wrote:And 'Needs Proofed' means it needs to be proof read. Whether or not you care...
I think what he means is what's the reason to put it in the title? If it doesn't have [proofread] tag in the title, then it hasn't been proofread. Putting [needs proofed] in the title is superfluous.
Detective Barricade

I didn't know that...:o I guess I'll just leave it out from now on...
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Detective Barricade wrote:And 'Needs Proofed' means it needs to be proof read. Whether or not you care...
No. "Needs to be proof-read" means it needs to be proof-read. Either that or "needs proofing."

"Needs Proofed" means your grasp of the English language needs tightening.

... ah, right. I get it now. Yeah, my mistake. Self-evidence and all that.