Special Edition Megatron

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Target
Protoform

Special Edition Megatron

Post by Target »

I was just wondering if anyone had the 'new' "UNIVERSE Deluxe Class MEGATRON Special Edition?"
If so what is he like? Worth getting as my only other 'tank' Megatron is the Armada one.
Cheers :)
If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Target wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had the 'new' "UNIVERSE Deluxe Class MEGATRON Special Edition?"
If so what is he like? Worth getting as my only other 'tank' Megatron is the Armada one.
Cheers :)
i seem to recal someone saying in the news thread that it was the same toy, more or less. just different packaging. possibly tweaked colors?
poyguimogul

Post by poyguimogul »

I got em both. The original green and the g1 recolor.

The first version, Green, gives me the impression of G2 mixed with Beast Wars technology. Its a little more rugged with a bit of a jungle tank color scheme.
The original has a dark grey head, which looks a little more angry and menacing. This color scheme is more in sync with the mold.

The "G1" recolor makes me think that the "Henkei" Megatron, was defeated by "universe/henkei" Galvatron, and turned into a tank mode- lieutenant. It looks more like G1 megatron. The eyes glow a little brighter, but they are also slightly larger. Has nice detailing, but seems a little off compared to the original.

Next to each other green looks like it'd kill the other.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Buy the green one. It's easier to turn that one into Brawl. That's all it's good for, imho. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

So would you say this Megatron is a better 'toy' than the "universe/henkei" Galvatron? Was originally thinking of getting Galvatron but after reading zeoman's review I'm not to sure!
If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

I deliberately got galvatron after reading that review. Just to see how crappy he was!

Just get the green one, dammit. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Treadshot A1 wrote:I deliberately got galvatron after reading that review. Just to see how crappy he was!

Just get the green one, dammit. ;)
So what did you think of Galvatron? as bad, worse or better?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Target wrote:So would you say this Megatron is a better 'toy' than the "universe/henkei" Galvatron?
Yes. A hundred, thousand times, yes. Although I prefer the green one over the gray one, either way the mold is far superior to the tragic disaster that is Universe Galvatron. Actually pretty much any of Megatron's tank incarnations is superior to that Galvatron. Seriously, G2 Hero Megs is full of win.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Galvatron is just plain aweful. They tried to stuff way too much into a deluxe figure, and all the joints are breakaway joints. So half the transformation time is sticking parts back on. They should have done it as a voyager.

I would've ordered Galvatron and Dragstrip, but I just couldn't be bothered with ordering online since I'd never hear the end of it if I got another package . . . I suppose I could have it shipped to my office. :\
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I'll stand up for Galvatron here and say that I think it's pretty darn spiffy. The transformation is a bit complex, but everyone talks like it's impossible. I think it's a pretty sweet toy in either mode. Definitely not the worst of the line as many say.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I dunno. Of the molds I've picked up he is the worst imo. Iron Hide may look like a train wreck, but at least he stays in one piece. Though I do love IH in spite of his flaws.

Not an impossible tranformation. Just a tremendous pain, and he there's no way to transform him without something falling off as far as I can tell. They just tried to do too much with a mold that was too small.

Tbh my favorites are Cyclonus, followed by the Lambor brothers. Hound is half-way decent in an "I wouldn't go out of my way to track him down, but would recommend if you see him on the shelves" way.

The datsuns are a bit of a mixed bag. I like the car mode, but the robot mode's a bit slim for my taste, and the doors are a bit of a pain.

I didn't pick up Tankor. Dinobot has a good raptor mode, but I don't like the chest assembly for robot mode all that much. Doesn't seem all that stable to me.

I'm not picking up the seeker repaints. I have my six seekers. Unless they do the desert Ramjet figure I don't want any more.

Hot Shot doesn't look all that impressive to me. He's slightly more articulated, but just as kibbliscious as the Armada release.

I'll pick up Ratchet. My classics need a medic.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

RID Scourge wrote:I dunno. Of the molds I've picked up he is the worst imo. Iron Hide may look like a train wreck, but at least he stays in one piece. Though I do love IH in spite of his flaws.

Not an impossible tranformation. Just a tremendous pain, and he there's no way to transform him without something falling off as far as I can tell. They just tried to do too much with a mold that was too small.

Tbh my favorites are Cyclonus, followed by the Lambor brothers. Hound is half-way decent in an "I wouldn't go out of my way to track him down, but would recommend if you see him on the shelves" way.

The datsuns are a bit of a mixed bag. I like the car mode, but the robot mode's a bit slim for my taste, and the doors are a bit of a pain.

I didn't pick up Tankor. Dinobot has a good raptor mode, but I don't like the chest assembly for robot mode all that much. Doesn't seem all that stable to me.

I'm not picking up the seeker repaints. I have my six seekers. Unless they do the desert Ramjet figure I don't want any more.

Hot Shot doesn't look all that impressive to me. He's slightly more articulated, but just as kibbliscious as the Armada release.

I'll pick up Ratchet. My classics need a medic.
I'll second the majority of that. I have, actually, managed to transform Galvatron a number of times without pieces falling off; I still think it's a bit to complex for its size-class though, too much stuff fighting for the same space.

Now that I have Galvatron and Ironhide, Tankor looks much better by comparison, which is somewhat nullified by his low name recognition. All of them could have used more time with development.

Back to the topic, Megatron mold in question has a pretty good tank mode, and very good articulation as a robot. My only real complaint is the sacrafice of hand for a stupid spinning gimmick (which, on mine, fell into three pieces immediately out of package). All in all a decent figure and, yes, far better than Universe Galvatron.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Transformer Kamen wrote:My only real complaint is the sacrafice of hand for a stupid spinning gimmick
Yes, this is true, yet another reason why G2 Hero Megatron is better. ;)
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

I actually don't find Galvy that bad. He's bad all right, he falls apart midway thru transformation, but i find him pretty decent once you actually get him into bot mode or tank mode.

But he's still only just below average. Nothing special.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ackula wrote:Yes, this is true, yet another reason why G2 Hero Megatron is better. ;)
Now, if only they'd put it out in a half-decent scheme....
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Wasn't Reverse Convoy a remold of Hero Megs? That scheme wasn't that bad iirc.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Ackula wrote:Yes, this is true, yet another reason why G2 Hero Megatron is better. ;)
G2 Hero Megatron rules (seriously, it says so right on his chest!).

@secretcode: Yes, Reverse Convoy/Rebirth Megatron was a blue remold of Hero Megatron, replacing the (irritating) air bladder with a standard spring loaded missile. Hero Megatron was also redecoed as Bludgeon with an awful yellow and green colour scheme.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Transformer Kamen wrote:Hero Megatron was also redecoed as Bludgeon with an awful yellow and green colour scheme.
Which I have thanks to the fact that Cliffy hated the deco :clap:
I really don't think that its that bad of a deco to be honest. I would like to have the standard one as well though, some day.
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Thanks, a lot of good stuff there!
Was thinking of somthing to get myself for the birthday! I know what you mean RID Scourge about packages turning up!! ha ha.
SO it looks like Cyclonus (Classic or Heneki?? Thought on this?) and a green Megs.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

secretcode wrote:Wasn't Reverse Convoy a remold of Hero Megs? That scheme wasn't that bad iirc.
The head kinda killed it.
Ackula wrote: I really don't think that its that bad of a deco to be honest. I would like to have the standard one as well though, some day.
Yeh, I probably wouldn't be so irked about Bludgeon is there was some sort of normal deco out there for it - if not a white/black original homage, then at lest something with one foot in the real world. Hell, I'd have settled for the G2 scheme used on the giant version being copied across.