Sleep Help

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Computron

Post by Computron »

little disclaimer but nothing in this post is prooven, just stuff I've found helps, they are just the ramblings of my own personal experiance

Drink a cold glass of milk (assuming warm millk doesn't work as some people can't drink after hot drinks) or eat a banana. both have something in them that help you relax

Don't go near your computer before you go to bed or even watch TV, listening to music can help but they need to be songs you know like the back of your hand. The reason for this is I read ages ago (so I can't remember where) that your brain needs to be totally rested to go to sleep. The problem with watching TV and listening to music is even though you think its relaxing physically your brain is actually working overtime working out sub plots and remembering character names (for TV) and remember the words (for songs). This leads to the problem that when you turn either off your brain is still wide awake leading to not being able to go to sleep. When I struggled to sleep at a resonable hour I found by forcing myself off my PC by 10pm I was able to go to bed by 11:30 ish.

Try to clear your brain from stuff happening in your life. This has a similar effect to watching TV whereby your lieing in bed and your brain is busy being awake. I know this sounds really silly but try using your imagination. I used to try imagining all sorts of silly things when I couldn't sleep. One which I found worked loads was I'd try coming up with ideas for fan fiction for transformers with myself involved. It sounds really silly but it worked. I'm no psychologist or brain expert but I'm guessing by activating the imagination side of the brain it is able to function as it does when you dream and the rest is able to shut down. The result is without realising it you fall asleep. I think this idea is used in hypnosis as well whereby they get the brain to concentrate on one thing thereby clearing it of all other distractions and making you sleep.

Try exercise. This tip is not only good for your health by keeping you healthy but by doing exercise you will exhaust yourself out and your body will try to send you asleep. From what I can gather this isn't so much an energy issue as the fact your body repairs the damaged tissue caused by exercise better when you sleep. I've also found since I've stopped going down the gym I feel more exhausted but I live off about 7 hours a night sleep whereas before I would easily have 10 hours a night but always felt full of energy no matter how much exercise I did
I support a ban on powerposting
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Regular exercise. Routine. Avoiding stimuli for a while before turning in. Get the temperature right, remembering there's usually a drop around 3am.

Adore by the Smashing Pumpkins.