Animated Toys (Opinions)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
SimonMK
Protoform

Post by SimonMK »

Blitzwing wrote:So, now that I've had some time to play with my new Voyagers, I think I'm ready to review them. By the way, I can't believe you guys in the States only have to pay $20 for these guys while we have to pay $30... all because Canada has to have everything in their own tri-lingual packaging... so lame...
Not only that but we missed some toys because of that. Like the All Spark deluxe Barricade, Bumblebee, Brawl and Jazz, Deep Space Starscream and Deep Desert Brawl (The leader class). And the Universe box art was screwed up, both Prowl and Tankor has Sunstreaker on the front of their box. :mad:

Blitzwing wrote:Earth Mode Optimus - His vehicle mode isn't that great. It kind of looks like the mutant spawn of a Firetruck and a Semi Cab. His gun that is supposed to be a fire hose in vehicle mode is clearly just a gun sitting on top. It's almost like a reverse tank turret. His transormation is pretty smooth, no major problems except that I think that his waist joint is too loose. Robot mode is great. I know some people don't like the giant axe, but I think it fits perfect with the excentric theme of the Animated line. Only down side about it is that I wish he could hold it in both hands at the same time, the squirt gun seems unneccesary.

Grimlock - His Dino mode is cute. Also he's nice and big, which is what a T-Rex should be. I wish there was some type of peg inside of his mode for his sword to fit into for his "Fire Breathe" mode though. Transformation is pretty good... like Optimus, his waist joint seems too loose though. Robot mode looks cool with the sword. His poseability isn't that great though. Also, his arms seem kind of weird. They seem too long and bend in weird place.
If I understand correctly... Grimlock has no place to store his sword? Meaning in Dinobot mode, his sword is hanging somewhere else?

And about Prime, if I liked the deluxe Cybertronian mode, don't like the water gun and axe and don't mind his vehicle mode. Is he worth to buy? I just spend around $50 for all three Universe deluxe and still have few money but don't want to spend mindlessly. Since I am disappointed in Sunstreaker and still haven't transformed Prowl and Tankor.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

SimonMK wrote:If I understand correctly... Grimlock has no place to store his sword? Meaning in Dinobot mode, his sword is hanging somewhere else?

And about Prime, if I liked the deluxe Cybertronian mode, don't like the water gun and axe and don't mind his vehicle mode. Is he worth to buy? I just spend around $50 for all three Universe deluxe and still have few money but don't want to spend mindlessly. Since I am disappointed in Sunstreaker and still haven't transformed Prowl and Tankor.
For Grimlock, the sword is supposed to act as "fire breathe" coming out of his mouth in dino mode. I've seen pics of him with the sword just sitting in his mouth, the downside is that there is no peg to keep it in there, so it's very loose and falls out the second you shake him.

About Optimus, I think it really depends on what you're looking for. I made the decision to only buy one version of each character, and I thought Voyager OP was my favourite of the 4 that are available.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I have both the Cybertronian Prime and the Voyager version. My son also has the Deluxe earth mode Prime from the two pack, so I have been able to compare the three of them fairly well. My consensus is that the best of the three is easily the Voyager Prime if for only the robot mode.

True the alt mode looks a little weird and the water cannon isn't show accurate, but I really like the way it looks. If it really bugs you though, you can easily remove the back portion from the alt mode and you more or less have his semi mode from the cartoon show, very accurate I might add. The robot mode is just fantastic though, the articulation is quite nice, and I really like his size. The flip up/down face shield really adds coolness points to the Voyager version as well.
Gareth Infinity

Post by Gareth Infinity »

All this talk about the Voyager, I'm almost convinced that I'll have to pick it up if I see it in stores. Though I'm still yet to see any Wave 3 Deluxes...I'm getting a little impatient over here.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Gareth_Infinity wrote:Though I'm still yet to see any Wave 3 Deluxes...I'm getting a little impatient over here.
Me either. My wife checks Wal*Mart for me every morning, and I usually make my rounds to TRU, and 2 different Target stores at least once a week, and have yet to see any wave 3 deluxe figures. Just finally found the Voyager Prime a week or so ago, along with Supreme Prime, which I declined purchasing due to space and money limitations.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Yeah... has anybody actually got Supreme Prime yet? He just seems like such a monstrosoty, and completely out of proportion. Not to mention that the added features are clearly not worth the massive price tag.
SimonMK
Protoform

Post by SimonMK »

I was wondering... if the Battle Damage Prime vs. Battle Damage Megatron deluxe pack was worth it? It the cost the same price as a Voyager toy or Voyager Prime is a better choice?
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I got Grimlock today. I LOVE him. His dino mode is great. However, in robot mode, his arms don't slide in all the way, which makes him look weird.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

SimonMK wrote:I was wondering... if the Battle Damage Prime vs. Battle Damage Megatron deluxe pack was worth it? It the cost the same price as a Voyager toy or Voyager Prime is a better choice?
Voyager Prime is much better, despite the crap axe and halfassed water blaster.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

secretcode wrote:Voyager Prime is much better, despite the crap axe and halfassed water blaster.
Yes.
Mospeada

Post by Mospeada »

I keep checking Wal Mart all the time for wave 3's to no avail. Yesterday all I saw was Lockdown, Black Arachnia, Ratchet, Voyager Megs, Lugnut and SS. I want JAZZ DAMMIT!
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

You guys complain about wave 3...

I haven't got wave 2 yet!!! :wtf:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SimonMK
Protoform

Post by SimonMK »

I just bought Voyager Optimus Prime and I am kinda disappointed... I don't like the ''spinning legs automorph'' and how his arms and shoulders has no mechanism. By mechanism I mean the way how Classic Prime's arms/shoulders were.

Because my Animated Voyager OP can't lift his ''axe'' without dropping his arm back down there or his forearm spin left and right making his axe fall on his chest or back. His shoulders always go to his back like it want to be in Truck mode again. He look great but all those problems turn me off, plan on returning it. :S
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I'm sold on the two-pack Prime. He's got the warrior look down perfectly.

I also would like to get my hands on Jazz.
Kenori

Post by Kenori »

The only one I've gotten is starscream. He's the only one other than lockdown that I like. I like his robot form, he looks very regal and big-chinned evil. I like it. His vehicle mode is also really nice, and looks like a jet. The only problem I have with him is his EXTREMELY loose hands. I swear they are going to fall out just by looking at them cross-eyed.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Mospeada wrote:I keep checking Wal Mart all the time for wave 3's to no avail. Yesterday all I saw was Lockdown, Black Arachnia, Ratchet, Voyager Megs, Lugnut and SS. I want JAZZ DAMMIT!
http://www.play.com wave 3 avilable for pre order, slightly cheaper and free delivery aswell, after recently paying ott hamleys prices im gonna start getting more from here
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

of the animated line i have 3, all wave 1 (no sign of wave 2 on shelves yet) prowl, bumblebee and lockdown.

i first purchased prowl on the way to see the incredible hulk, i had draged my very un-nerdy friends into TRU and while they shuffled around the unfamiliar surroundings i made a beeline for this figure and was not disapointed, i love it and is my fave of the animated line so far. he make up the other half of my autobot spy team along with classics mirage.

i bought bumblebee and lockdown on the same day on a college trip to london. i went into hamleys to find a lackluster selection of tfs (only leader megs and op representing the movie line) i picked out lockdown cos i liked his alt mode and cartoon persona (im thinking of making him a poncho) im happy with him only ive broken one of his hands.

i picked the bumblebee with the least offensive paintwork (which took a while) of the two i bought that day his was the only box to be damaged in the crowds of gay pride (this was after i had re bagged them as the sho assistant had put them in upside down, a pet peeve of mine) i like his robot mode but his alt mode seems childish.

im very happy with the line so far and i am looking forward to a great deal of things to come mainly jazz
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Turns out Grimmy's arms didn't need fixing after all. I was afraid they'd get stuck after I figured out how to make them work, but they didn't.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Turns out Grimmy's arms didn't need fixing after all. I was afraid they'd get stuck after I figured out how to make them work, but they didn't.
Is there some way to push them in so they aren't so long and awkward, or is that how they're supposed to be?
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

It just takes some elbow grease mixed with a bit of finesse. You just keep jiggling the arms up and down as you push in, until they go all the way back.