Well crap, I just found out I might lose my job in a month.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Post by Sades »

maybe it's the way you word it on the resume... I haven't had my temping jobs looked at in such a way. But then again, I've only had one or two when between jobs. :/ Hmm.

I'm assuming you've straight up told them why you had so many jobs, so I don't have much advice to give. I sincerely hope you manage to find something good soon, though- took me forever to find a job that I could agree with, but it all turned out swell. :up:
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Civ

Post by Civ »

Difference in treatment may also be that we're probably in different fields and if I recall correctly, you're in Canada while I'm in the states. So there could be worlds of difference right there.

As for the resume, I don't think I have it worded badly. Probably not perfectly, but not so bad that it's ghastly. I've had just about every headhunter I've come across take a look at it and they loved it. Right now, the word "contract" only appears in the job titles since that's what they were. The descriptions of the jobs and what I accomplished at them are listed in terms of numbers like money, increased production percentage, and such.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I did the temp thing for a while, and found out a couple things. Granted, my temping was as a secretary, but I'd imagine it's similar across the board.

1) On the resume, to avoid looking like a job hopper, just list the agency as the employer, then particular places as a detail within that employer. Or, for an even cleaner looking history, not at all in the previous jobs area. Anything pertinent to the job you're looking for, list that experience somewhere else.

2) Find out which agency the government (state or federal) uses to provide temps. Those are usually long term tempage, and most of the time when a "real" job opens, they try to hire from within. If you can get in as a temp, you've got a much better shot at a permanent job than someone coming in off the street.

No guarantees, but it seemed to work well for a good number of people. Good luck to you.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Thanks, but there're some problems in my case...
Notabot wrote:1) On the resume, to avoid looking like a job hopper, just list the agency as the employer, then particular places as a detail within that employer. Or, for an even cleaner looking history, not at all in the previous jobs area. Anything pertinent to the job you're looking for, list that experience somewhere else.
Believe me, I tried to do that. Problem for me is that every, single one of my temp jobs has been with a different agency.
Notabot wrote:2) Find out which agency the government (state or federal) uses to provide temps. Those are usually long term tempage, and most of the time when a "real" job opens, they try to hire from within. If you can get in as a temp, you've got a much better shot at a permanent job than someone coming in off the street.
I've been trying for those. Only problem is that they want me to use my talents to make stuff that blows shit/people up for the Department of "Defense". I kind of have a moral dilemma with blowing stuff up.

:(

Can I use someone else's resume instead of mine, please?
optimusprme

Post by optimusprme »

well i know it sucks looking for a job cause not to many people are looking for someone right now but i know that you should have better luck at finding something you enjoy to do really soon
good luck to civ

"we are all a little wiser now from the knowledge we accumulate from this moment on" the return of optimusprime
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Very sorry about your job situation, Civ. I hope you find something soon. Any news?
Civ wrote:Can I use someone else's resume instead of mine, please?
Gotcha covered, but only if you want to be a teacher and/or soccer coach. Like kids?
Civ

Post by Civ »

Vin Ghostal wrote:Very sorry about your job situation, Civ. I hope you find something soon. Any news?
Thanks, man. So far, I've talked to a bunch of headhunters as already said. I've had one face-to-face interview, which turned out to be not a great deal. Pretty much a case of false advertising to try and lure me into a shitty job that they didn't want to do. When I subtlely brought up that I don't like doing...let's say Task A...everyday, all week, and all year (understanding that you have to do Task A sometimes to get the job done) but I like variety of tasks to do, they visibly flinched. Red flags immediately with me since that indicated they were looking for a drone.

On another note, I also had a pre-screening with a sub-contractor with NASA. They were late and didn't seem all that timely or considerate. Not sure if I want to pursue but putting NASA down on your resume is awfully tempting.
Gotcha covered, but only if you want to be a teacher and/or soccer coach. Like kids?
Depends. Are these good kids or the kind that make me want to throw them under a moving bus? ;)
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Civ wrote:Are these good kids or the kind that make me want to throw them under a moving bus?
I didn't know they come in two different models!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Civ wrote:Wait, so this is happening in Canada as well? If so, then crap, I was thinking of applying to some jobs up there.
Lousy foreigner stealing all of our jobs. ]less[/i] disposable income after they've paid the bills every month.
Clogs wrote:Every candidate is unsuitable
Without being too blunt about it, if that's what your HR manager says then the next job opening you guys post should be for a new HR manager. ;)
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Warcry wrote:Without being too blunt about it, if that's what your HR manager says then the next job opening you guys post should be for a new HR manager. ;)
Er... I was referring to the jobs advertised with us by employers. Sorry, mate: Jobcentre Plus = the Labour Exchange (OK, and the dole/Social).

Although we really could do with a new HR dept as the one we have, pared down and centralised by HM Govt, is pretty much useless, but that's more due to the duff IT and procedures than the staff themselves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Civ

Post by Civ »

Well **** me in the ass with a 10-foot unlubed pole. I just found out that I'm going to lose my job on Friday. Oh well, at least I have interviews lined up so hopefully, this won't be too painful. Still sucks though.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Sorry duder.

**** those year requirements man. Unless the job description makes your head explode apply for it anyway. You are human and have a working brain and so you can learn and or be trained. I am graduating in a few weeks and Im not going to put much weight in those year 'requirements'. When they state all that ridiculous bs they are just outlining their ideal candidate, so unless they get a Stephen Hawking rolling up their ramps you will just have to do.

So my advice is to apply anyway, even if it requires X amount of experience and to not bother with a company if you know for certain the work is far out of your league. They may even have a position lower in the ranks that could be filled if they see you already have experience with something else. Granted, they will probly toss your resume after just glancing at it but there is no harm in sending one to them, especially if it is emailed.

Good luck.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Civ wrote:I just found out that I'm going to lose my job on Friday. Oh well, at least I have interviews lined up so hopefully, this won't be too painful. Still sucks though.
Less painful than pole insertion, one hopes. Good luck with the interviews!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Sorry to hear that Civ, I wish you luck on the interviews and job hunt in general.

The only word of advice I would like to give is to ignore the requirements for experience. I have found that the experience factor is usually the easiest work around, and if it were set in stone then I wouldn't have the job I have today. The experience requirements are usually put in place as a hopeful, but that doesn't mean the company/employer won't make an exception to an applicant who exhibits good drive and/or ambition along with a good skill set.

The most important part of the process is the interview, if you get an interview then that is your foot in the door, don't worry so much about the experience requirements just make sure you drive home the years of experience you have had in the workforce as a whole.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Good luck guys. I just got turned down for the fifth job in a row, so I know how you guys feel.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Something to help you feel better:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpuss6FktnU
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I HAVE A JOB!!!!

Woohoo! I can have income again! Yay! Got a job as a design engineer like I wanted and I start on 6/16. Wow, the relief is incredible.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Hopefully you'll have less time to post then... :p ;)

Nah, that's great news. Well done you. :)
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

:clap:

Yay for Civ! Congratulations!

Somewhere in your youth or childhood, you must have done something good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
optimusprme

Post by optimusprme »

congrats man great to hear :D

"we are all a little wiser now from the knowledge we accumulate from this moment on" the return of optimusprime