death in transformers

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
starlord
Protoform

death in transformers

Post by starlord »

In beast wars, only accidents or Vok or Megatron resulted in death in a character while in other transformers series, it differ. Let's talk about how some of the characters died in any series whether it is cartoon or comics or the movies,etc?
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

starlord wrote:In beast wars, only accidents or Vok or Megatron resulted in death in a character
Like when Depth Charge killed Rampage?
dotCommunism
Protoform

Post by dotCommunism »

It seems the only thing that consistently kills Transformers is author's intent. Not being based on a toy is also generally fatal.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

dotCommunism wrote:It seems the only thing that consistently kills Transformers is author's intent. Not being based on a toy is also generally fatal.
Except in the case of Arcee, sadly.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Marvel Scorponok. The best written TF death ever. Everyone else wasn't even trying.
MegatronIDW
Protoform

Post by MegatronIDW »

That death was EPIC. Seriously, a real "Spock in Wrath of Khan" moment there. Though I think you've gotta give a shout out to Bludegon. Head ripped off and the little scrapper STILL went down fighting. (Yes, I know it was a bloody pretender shell. It's still been established he would have been in unberable pain. And he STILL had the guts to take a shot at Megatron. That's guts, my friends)
Funnily enough, there have been more embarassing deaths in TF than there have been noble ones. Top of the list has to be Oblviious Prime deciding to kill himself because he murdered beings...IN A COMPUTER GAME. I guess all those kids playing Timesplitter's Quake and Doom oughta start measuring their wrists with butcher knives right now because by the logigc of the so called "Wisest Autbot of them all" their mass murderers more despicable than Jeffry Dhamer, Ted Bundy and Ed Gein combined.
Seriously. This is the guy the Autobot's fought to protect? I have to say, "King" grimlock was a good eight or nine times smarter. Yes he was a bullying, egomanical tyrant...but he had the good sense not to blow himself up every time he won a game of Time Crisis against Megatron.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Personally, I hated Bludgeon's death, one of the few bum notes in G2. The guy goes from being a canny warrior with all these skills and a fair few smarts for a Decepticon leader to some idiot who basically chucks himself in front of Megatron's guns successive times until he ends up dead... I dunno, is that brave, or stupid? The script makes him look stupid, and it's such a quickly-done "let's get this old rope out of the way, I want Megatron leading the Decepticons" piece of work...

And Grimlock never blew himself up over a computer game, good point. But then alienating his entire army the first time round, and just plain getting them killed the second time (in record time, I should add, and he quite possibly sacrificed them just to annoy Prowl) probably robs him of any particular reason to gloat.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Sword ----> Catilla. It was funny. Catilla sucks. It was funny. Catilla sucks. It was funny...
inflatable dalek

Spinster's sudden death always caught me of guard. Though I'm not sure that counts as he made a complete recovery in one of those "Let us never speak of this again" adventures.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Poor ol' Outback got snuffed in the very first issue I ever read (ie. #99 : the one with the haunting opening monologue) For years, I never even knew why he died... since it was explained in #98.

And then 3 weeks later Galvatron appears and turns some dude I've never heard of before into confetti in under two pages before taking on 7 guys at once.

Plenty of traumatic deaths, generally seeing that I didn't know who they were or why they were dying.
inflatable dalek

slartibartfast wrote:Poor ol' Outback got snuffed in the very first issue I ever read (ie. #99 : the one with the haunting opening monologue) For years, I never even knew why he died... since it was explained in #98.
I guess you never read 100 either because outback doesn't actually die.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Do all dead transformers turn grey?
inflatable dalek

burnitall wrote:Do all dead transformers turn grey?
Only the ones that don't use Just For Men.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Well, damn.:cheers:
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

inflatable dalek wrote:Only the ones that don't use Just For Men.
Brilliant. :)
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

inflatable dalek wrote:I guess you never read 100 either because outback doesn't actually die.
I.. er.. aye.

I never realised Outback was wrong, since he never reappeared*. I suppose he remains a sort of subtle martyr, discarded on the wayside of the autobots' epic struggle against the decepticons, ingored and unneeded. I could imagine he'd go through a stint of alcoholic depression, and hit rock bottom. 'fall of Oz', catchy title :)

edit : Maybe he was an embarrassment to the wreckers and got bullied out.

*before a brief appearance in UK #245[/research]
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Slightly late to the discussion and veering off-topic somewhat, but it annoyed me slightly that Prime managed to defeat the Guardian units in the manner than he did.

My reasoning is that Guardian on board the ark was quite the unstoppable piece of cheese. The combined might of the Dinobots couldn't stop him, he was the Ark's big dog (bloody Westwood) etc.

And here's Prime, 50+ issues later taking out two upgraded Guardian units (or maybe it was one, I forget). The point is it dimished the utter hardness of the Guardians'.

I really like the Prey storyline, and that's perhaps my only hangup towards it. Are minibots engineered so that larger robots go the extra mile to protect them after they've been semi-possibly-mortally wounded?

I guess my point is that in my little mind, if the spectacular Wrath of Guardian/Grimlock storyline is anything to go by; Shockwave or Galvatron would stand a good chance of getting mashed by said non-toy based character.

Although that's usually not the case if you have a panel beating line to toss out sucha as

"I am power incarnate".

"I calculate with a 97% efficiency that your defeat is imminent", or;

"I was forged in the fires of a dog. That's right, a dog".

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

inflatable dalek wrote:Only the ones that don't use Just For Men.
I see a cartoon of animated Ultra-Magnus asking, no, demanding of Sentinel Prime if "it" has arrived yet.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Deaths happen when an author hates the character. Or the character's toy just ran off the shelves.

Although, TBH, the stupidest death was Optimus Prime in the comics. I mean, he won the stupid computer game. Only because he caused the 'death' of virtual things, he asks for himself to be killed? That's kinda stupid.

Also, the mass deaths. i.e. Transformers the Movie, Underbase Saga, Unicron battles.... they suck. Seriously. Especially the Underbase saga. Hell, the fourth comic just goes on and on like a roll call... other than it being a death call.

Also, some characters that just deserve to be slagged (i.e. Beast Machines Nightscream... do anyone like him?) never die. Damn.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

burnitall wrote:Do all dead transformers turn grey?
Only the ones who aren't going to stay dead.