Peter Cullen confirmed as Optimus Prime in the new TF movie

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Guess that's answered my query!

It is, honestly, very good to know that Cullen is doing Optimus - I really loved the voice. If'n they do get Welker for Megs, I'm gonna be doing the cow in clover thing, being a G1 afficianado at heart. All we need now is a really good new talent for Starscream.

I must say that, at the recent AutoCon 2006 in Birmingham, David Kaye was asked whether he would like to play the original Megatron and did say jokingly that he was available! I do believe, however, that he has become so firmly linked with BW Megatron that this might not be on the cards. Sad, but yeah...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
optihut
Protoform

Post by optihut »

Ah, excellent news! That means I am going to watch the movie :)
"Negativity creates nothing!" The Colonel, Orguss 02
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

But the question remains... will Casey Kasem be voicing all the remaining Autobots? Now THAT would be G1tastic.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

As long as Cullen's voice hasn't aged to much this should be fine. I'd be very suprised if Welker's not in there in some capacity considering he does voice overs for so many films (famously the producers of the Scooby-Doo movie declined him a cameo but he would up being hired to do the ghost voices anyway...)
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
mongoosehuman
Protoform

Post by mongoosehuman »

Optimus Prime and Optimus Primal were two very different characters, just as the two Megatron's were. Prime was a general, and as far as I could tell, Primal just captained some four-man science vessel. And Prime always knew just what to do, which isn't too hard when you've got the matrix handy. Primal had a lot more self-doubt and had to deal with living up to his predecessors.

I'm glad to see Cullen in the movie. Not that I don't like Gary Chalk or Optimus Primal -- in this movie, I'd just rather see a character more like Prime than Primal.

It'd make sense to have Welker with Cullen, but BW/BM Megatron was such an improvement. Going back in time to destroy your enemies before they were born? Becoming the hive-mind of Cybertron? I mean, crap man.
ColdBain
Protoform

Cullen and Welker

Post by ColdBain »

Let's be honest, if you're gonna have Cullen, you've got to have Welker. Welker was such a distinct Megatron, that voice was both venomous and eviland and so distinct. Beast Wars Megatron, and Armada Megatron, though a very good voice, is a totally different character. It depends on how much they want to play to the G1 fans. Do they want a Megatron that is short tempered, almost raving mad and quick to scream insane plans on dominating the galaxy? Or do they want a Megatron that sounds very educated, calm and always complains comedically about the 'tools he has to work with' (a la, his troops).
I think have Beast Wars Megatron off against Cullen's voice would be a little annoying as well. Cullen has such a rounded and calm voice, surprisingly, so does the BW Megatron. Welker was just great opposition, in my mind. (Love Beast Wars Megatron though!)
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

from what Don's said in this week's Sunday posting, while Welker's sent in an audition tape, they're trying to schedule him for an actual sit down audition - presumably so Bay can get a better idea of his idea than simply with a mailed in tape. Sounds sensible. He'll need to do a great audition like Cullen apparently did though. Phoning it in (or indeed, taping it in) isn't gonna cut it with Bay.
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Re: Peter Cullen confirmed as Optimus Prime in the new TF movie?

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Source

http://www.iesb.net/

EDIT:

Not as certain here...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103412

edit:

Confirmed at Dreamworks panel...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103448

Man, u gotta be kidding!
:devil: Image :angel:
Nevermore

Re: Re: Peter Cullen confirmed as Optimus Prime in the new TF movie?

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Machine Hunter
Man, u gotta be kidding!

Huh?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
inflatable dalek

Re: Cullen and Welker

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by ColdBain
Let's be honest, if you're gonna have Cullen, you've got to have Welker.

Well surely that depends on how the charecters written? If the script has Megs exactly like his BW namesake (and considering Hollywood loves swanky English villains that's not impossible) then get Kaye to do it. If it's written for an actor like Barry Chuckle, get Barry to do it. They need to hire the best actor for the part as written really.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

The writers wrote it with Welker in mind. Take that to mean what you will, but I wouldn't have thought by any stretch you'd write "swanky" dialogue for Welker's voice...
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

Cullen, I never dreamed that they would do it. Great news!!! For those who whined when they heard that he would have to audition. that the movie would suck ect... Are you satified now?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
If it's written for an actor like Barry Chuckle, get Barry to do it.
"To you... to me... have you got it, Barrytron?"

"Dammit Paulwave, that was our last energon cube! Now we've got to go to Earth! Get the shopping bags!"
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Video...

http://www.blackfilm.com/20060721/featu ... s_cc.shtml

So that's Prime's alt mode... [/obvious joke]
-Alex???
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Where is Vanguard to say how ****ty this is? And that the movie will not have anything to remind people of original transformers?

Oh yeah. Eating crow :cool:
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

I totally agree with you, heck, I'm an actor myself, I can understand that. It kind of makes the whole argument a little confusing as with any information as to what TYPE of Megatron the Megatron in the movie is going to be then we can go around in circles for almost an eon here.

However, I noticed a little 'possible movie design' for Megatron on another forum listing here, that depicted Megatron as a tank, with his robot mode looking astonishingly a lot like his 80's cartoon self. For me, and just for me here, if that IS what Megatron is going to look like in the movie, an almost duplicate of the 80's cartoon, then Welker (or someone who produced a similar feel to Welker's depiction of Megatron) would have to be Megatron.

Other than that, we can never really know until we know... :)
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

"Well surely that depends on how the charecters written?"

My previous message was in response to InflatableDalek's question, and I was missing an 'out' from 'as with(out) any information' thanks...

(how embarrassing)
jhlucas
Protoform

Post by jhlucas »

I'm glad Cullen got the part. The other actors have been good, but like someone else said earlier in this thread, they've all basically used Cullen as their basis for Prime's voice.

I didn't care for Meg's voice so much during the actual G1 cartoon series (more because of the writing than the acting), however, I thought Welker gave a great performance in the G1 movie.

Megatron (all raspy and menacing): "It's over, Prime."

Ooooo...still sends a chill down my spine. ;)

(Yeah, yeah, I'm a fanboy and all that...but seriously, who would visit this site if they weren't at least a little bit of a fanboy?)
Bruticus13
Protoform

Post by Bruticus13 »

Originally posted by Denyer
"To you... to me... have you got it, Barrytron?"

"Dammit Paulwave, that was our last energon cube! Now we've got to go to Earth! Get the shopping bags!"

AHA HA HA HA HA :D

Anyone see that E! segment they did on the film set? Someone posted it on shootfortheedit. The tank in that seemed quite a good competitor to be Megs... or at least a Decepticon of some form.
"The point is, you're a fool."