Did Optimus and Megatron's death killed the series?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
metroprimeus
Protoform

Did Optimus and Megatron's death killed the series?

Post by metroprimeus »

came across a interesting piece of TF article, it talks about the post-war TF season 3. It says...
...The boldest switchover certainly came by way of the new robot leaders - Galvatron and Rodimus Prime. Even though Galvy was technically still Megatron, and even though Rodimus took Optimus' last name when he became a super-trooper, they both lacked the charm and charisma of their predecessors, and one could make a pretty strong argument that the switch ultimately killed the series.

Why do u guys think?
personally, The starting epsiodes felt very strange without the familiar characters but the later part of the series, I have gotten to like Rodimus and Company and same episodes in S3 was quite good.

...Galvatron rarely spoke to his troops, let alone lead them into battle. It was such a waste of talent because the Autobot team was so ****ty by this point, I could've fitted my grandmother with armor and we would've kicked their asses all over Detroit. Optimus was dead, and now the chief Autobot staff consisted of a guy who didn't even want to be leader, a pacifist semitrailer, and some robot who spoke in rhymes and shot rocks out of a slingshot. If Galvatron could've got his act together for just a few hours, The Great War would've ended a whole lot differently.

Interestingly, I alway thought the autobots had the uper hand in S3 but this author think different not without a point. The failure of the deceps was more indead due to Galvatron absymal failure than due to Rodimus's achievements

take a look at the article at
http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/669.html
Edo
Protoform
Location: Somewhere in the pinelands of NJ forming his own subgroup of Autobots that run entirely on vodka.

Post by Edo »

Fan's fell in love with the nobility of Optimus Prime and the malevolence of Megatron as he delt with Prime and his scheming second-in-command. I think in many ways, the movie ended one Transformers series and began another. The occasional appearences by Grimlock, Bumblebee, Astrotrain, and Aerialbots didn't make up for the fact that the main personalities in the first two seasons were replaced with brand new personalities. Season 3 should have been called "Transformers, the Next Generation."
"Why don't they just put Marmaduke to sleep?"
- Jake Morgandorpher
E Nice
Protoform

Post by E Nice »

And if Rodimus had gotten his act together there wouldn't have been a season 3. He could have wiped out the remnents of the Decepticon army on Charr but let a pesky thing called pity get in the way.

Rodimus more or less led an overstretched Autobot army. Stationed on Cybertron and on Earth plus various missions sent throughout the galaxy. He was showing the Autobot ideal of peaceful co-existance with their neighbors. But he also had to deal with a mobile Decepticon army. Megatron only had to deal with Autobots on Earth. Rodimus had to worry about Decepticons everywhere, not to mention the Quintessons.
Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I have to say yes, Op and Megs dying played a big part in killing the show. I started watching the cartoon during season three, so I have always prefered that cast (in the cartoons, anyway). But my friends that watched TF as a kid don't even remember Galvy or Roddy, for the most part. They do remember Op and Megs. The season three chars are mostly refered to as That Purple Guy, or That Guy That Took Optimus's Job, or things like that. I suppose for kids that had grown up watching the first two seasons, seeing their heroes and villians swiftly replaced with new, different characters would cut down interest. I felt the same way when I read the early comics, only to see that the most of the original Autobots disappear after about twelve issues.
Hellion
Protoform

Post by Hellion »

I think that was part of the problems with season 3, Also the Decepticons weren't really used as the main bad guys for the majority of the season, Most episodes dealt with the Quintissons Vs. Everybody, As for the Leaders, With Galvatron acting like an 8 year old kid throwing a tantrum & Rodimus whining about everything didn't help, if only they left Galvatron just like he was in the movie...
metroprimeus
Protoform

Post by metroprimeus »

anyone felt that season 3 was more PG-16 than season 1 and 2 PG-12.
There's a lot more sadness in season 3 and some preaching...
Hang on to your dreams, the Future is built on dreams, Hang on...
Crazomatic
Protoform

Post by Crazomatic »

I can't speak for anybody else but the movie killed it for me.
Silly boys. . . . . . Transformers are for girls!
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Rodimus had character. Apparently us as kids hated it when they actually had some Character.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Bruticus13
Protoform

Post by Bruticus13 »

I agree that Optimus' and Megatron's deaths did have a major effect on the series' popularity and quality, since people who watched the early series wouldn't have enjoyed seeing their favourites replaced with either insane or wussy leaders. But it was also down to the change of setting- set more in space and other planets, the concept of 'robots in disguise' could no longer apply and fans lost the ability to see their tv favourites as almost being out on the street with them.
That said, I found that the episodes after the movie were a lot more dramatic at times.

Oh dammit, maybe I'm talking bollocks.
"The point is, you're a fool."
ArkonBlade
Protoform

Post by ArkonBlade »

id have too agree as well killin prime and megatron( or atleast making him comletely different in looks and personality) pretty much ripped out the shows guts and tossed in some thing completely different that it either seems some people liked and others just hated (id be in the hated catogory) .i never saw the movie until about 2 years ago i only new of primes death from some friends who did see it. and after waching a few episodes of G2 i just stopped waching it all togeather . i cant remember if i hated it or not since i have absoulutly no clue what so ever what G2 was about (been too long) but considering i stopped waching it tells me i musta hated it.

my feeling is that this was done too make a excuse too put some new toys out . well G1 will always and only be my favorite unless they do another series based on the G1 charicters and try too get all the original voice actors back or atleast people who can match it. i mean there is a golden spot too take off from i mean theer was a huge gap between the 80s when the show was taking place and when the movie hit in 2004 ( not sure if that date is right) id like too know what hapend between that time line and maybe toss in some storys that tie in with some back storys like how the autobots got together and started too fight back against the decipticons and what started the catalist in turning the decipticons evil some thing more in depth. well thats just my thoughts any way.
WHY WHY WHY!!! why did they have too kill all the autobots in the Transformers 1988 Movie and then replace them with abunch of crappy clones and god awful remakes
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ha! Kids aren't as stupid as they look, act or sound. But Hasbro employees are.

When the movie hit, Hasbro shifted into overdrive and released new Transformers almost every day of the week, and they changed into silly things like futuristic double targetmaster-two-headed space choppers with horribly garish colours. Hmmm, Misfire: an all pink robot who transforms into something that might look like a deformed jet.

That is a far cry from your accurate replica of a Lambourghini Countach LP500s a la Sideswipe isn't it?

It was obvious neither the cartoon nor the comic could keep up with this super speedy production line attitude. Previously we had a ragtag band of team members on either side that we could keep track of and appeared in both mediums. You'll notice Beast Wars and Beast Machines sticks to this formula even though many BW/BM toys came out that were never in the show, they kept the teams lean and character/plot driven.

I liked both cartoon and comic Galvatron, he was a bad mutha and more fun than Megatron to watch at least. Rodimus was ok, though a bit wimpy. I just think Hasbro completely lost their heads and realised this soon after by desperately trying to reintroduce the old guard e.g. Pretender Classics, and then Transformer Classics (just a bunch of original Autobot cars like Sideswipe and Jazz in a repackaged box that had 'classic' stamped on it). That must show they knew they'd screwed up.

Not that Megs and Prime were the lynchpins of the TF mythos Simply that their toys at this time... sucked.
ChipChase
Protoform

Sadly, things were already going downhill

Post by ChipChase »

In my opinion, the series was already going downhill by the midpoint of season two. The first dozen episodes of Season two were all original cast. Right up to Desertion of the Dinobots, the original continuity stayed pretty much intact.

However, after "The Key to Vector Sigma" the series was all about introducing new toys to the series. Stunticons, Arielbots, Combaticons, Protectobots etc. Added to this was the lack of development of the new autobots that appeared from Dinobot Island onwards ( I think I'll start a new thread about them)

The movie producers may have realised how bad the end to the second season was, since in the movie the only Season Two Autobots featured were Perceptor and Blaster. Even the Decepticons that attacked Autobot City were all Season One or early Season Two.

The "changing of the guard" in the Movie may have been intended to add new life to the series. Unfortunately, the TV people went right back into the same old habits from the end of the previous season.
ShadowFox
Protoform

Post by ShadowFox »

I think Their deaths affected it. Rodimus, he suicidal leader was a whiner and Galvatron was kinda psycho, yet cool none the less. Anyone remember the ep where Rodimus disconected a few wires in his chest to go into the matrix, and then tried to make springer the leader of the autobots?
Tracks, the first Triple changer. Don't agree? Well, Nyeh!

Resists Fire Rain and Corrosion for up to 5 years! Or your money back! Yes friends act now, destroy Unicron. Kill the grand Poo-Bah. Eliminate Even the toughest stain!
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by ChipChase
The movie producers may have realised how bad the end to the second season was, since in the movie the only Season Two Autobots featured were Perceptor and Blaster. Even the Decepticons that attacked Autobot City were all Season One or early Season Two.

The Movie features only S1 and early S2 characters because it was written and started being animated before characters like Aerialbots and Stunticons were introduced in series, IIRC.

End of S2 bad? I'll always take Starscream's Brigade, Revenge of Bruticus and Key To Vector Sigma over those twenty earlier S2 episodes.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Bruticus13
Protoform

Post by Bruticus13 »

Damn right, those episodes were the best, and the ones I always remember watching. TF:TM could have been so much better with the S2 characters *sighs*
"The point is, you're a fool."
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Bruticus13
TF:TM could have been so much better with the S2 characters *sighs*

If you haven't yet, read Blitzwing's fanfic 'TF:TM without new characters. It's on the site.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Yes. Imo, the movie shouldve ended it. Sadly it didnt, and G1 continued on to be crappy.
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

IMO i think it did... but i still watched the show to find out whats going on.. but i remember when the movie came out and the ads made it sound like a hour and half of Optimus Prime kicking butt.. to come to find out that he dies in the first 20 mins.. that wasn;t good...:wall:
One shall stand, One shall fall...