Chat Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

What kills me about the "interns" story is that they must have known what the job entails but everyone in the picture showed up to work wearing skirts. Surely that would slow them down compared to their pants-wearing colleagues?
Sades wrote:Am I the only person who rolls their eyes/wants to roll their eyes at people who act like they still haven't gotten over Firefly?
There's at least two of us!

I mean, Firefly was an entertaining show, but based on the handful of episodes that actually got produced it wasn't anything special. Better shows than it get cancelled almost every year and nobody remembers or cares about them.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm still pissed Dark Skies got cancelled.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Never watched Dark Skies (was it rubbish? knowing Dalek and his pithy replies, I suspect it was). Do miss Sarah Connor Chronicles, that were ace.

I can't be arsed with Firefly. I liked Serenity enough to buy the DVD...but I can't say I feel compelled to check out the TV series at all. My girlfriend watched the recent Syfy re-runs and described it as 'its alright, but kind of boring.'

I can't think there's any telly shows that are gone that I'm sad about...well except Ashes To Ashes, which has spoilt Life On Mars somewhat by being terrible. I think that annoys me more - when a good idea is flogged to death. There's a lot of concept telly around at the moment - Homeland is a good example - which has a fantastic premise, but does all it needs to in one series, but end up getting strung out beyond their shelf life because of ratings and blah.
inflatable dalek

Oh, Dark Skies was ace. It started off quite silly with it turning out Every Single Event In American History was down to aliens (if you've ever seen the Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man episode of The X-Files, that's a complete piss take), but after the low point of "Aliens caused the Beatles!" it quickly became a great fun little thriller piece with a great supporting performance from J.T. Walsh. The decade a season idea with doing the millennium in "Real time" as the final was a great concept as well.

Easily the best show the parachute in Jerri Ryan to replace the cute female lead anyway.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:There's a lot of concept telly around at the moment - Homeland is a good example - which has a fantastic premise, but does all it needs to in one series, but end up getting strung out beyond their shelf life because of ratings and blah.
I think the textbook example of that would have to be Prison Break.

Season 1: Breaking out of a prison.

Season 2: On the run after said breakout. Which was actually pretty cool and made sense.

Season 3: Contrived spy bullshit puts them back in another, badder prison! What could possibly happen next?

Season 4: More contrived bullshit completely unrelated to the original premise. Nobody cares anymore and the show dies a shadow of its former self.

If the show had ended after either of the first two seasons, it would have had a fantastic run.

Eh, at least the leads are getting to ham it up together as supervillains on Flash now.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Warcry wrote:What kills me about the "interns" story is that they must have known what the job entails but everyone in the picture showed up to work wearing skirts. Surely that would slow them down compared to their pants-wearing colleagues?
Nah, none of them are wearing anything that is particularly restrictive-looking. The one on the far right maybe. And for "modesty's sake", it's easy enough to slip a pair of yoga shorts or whatever underneath a skirt, too.

Warcry wrote:There's at least two of us!
Wet-blanket high five/secret handshake over the internet tiiiiiiime!

(this entails doing... nothing. Because internet. *does nothing*)
I mean, Firefly was an entertaining show, but based on the handful of episodes that actually got produced it wasn't anything special. Better shows than it get cancelled almost every year and nobody remembers or cares about them.
Honestly don't watch a whole lot of TV nowadays, but I agree with the first part of that. It was good. But I never really thought it lived up to its hype, and the hype has just served to annoy the shit out of me on various occasions. Three years in? Yeah, okay. But not twelve, come on.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I just saw the last episode of Better Off Ted, and it clearly got cancelled unexpectedly. Which is too bad, because it's a darn funny show.
On the other hand, I really thought that it would be awesome to bring back Arrested Development. But I think we stopped watching about four or five episodes into the new season. Not in a "This is awful! I'm not going to watch anymore" kind of way, but more a, "That's right, there are more episodes aren't there? Maybe after we finish watching Burn Notice. And Portlandia. And everything else in My List."
Hound

Post by Hound »

Firefly was great, Serenity was... not enough.

I don't wish it would come back, though I understand the sentiment behind wishing it had gotten a longer run.
inflatable dalek

Warcry wrote:I think the textbook example of that would have to be Prison Break.

Season 1: Breaking out of a prison.

Season 2: On the run after said breakout. Which was actually pretty cool and made sense.

Season 3: Contrived spy bullshit puts them back in another, badder prison! What could possibly happen next?

Season 4: More contrived bullshit completely unrelated to the original premise. Nobody cares anymore and the show dies a shadow of its former self.

If the show had ended after either of the first two seasons, it would have had a fantastic run.

Eh, at least the leads are getting to ham it up together as supervillains on Flash now.
The odd thing is, 24 should be exactly the same. It's such a blatant one season format (even more so than Prison Break and Heroes), the fact that it not only ran for 8 years plus revival with a general level of quality (there are poor seasons, but they're spread out evenly across the run) is actually pretty amazing.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

inflatable dalek wrote:The odd thing is, 24 should be exactly the same. It's such a blatant one season format (even more so than Prison Break and Heroes), the fact that it not only ran for 8 years plus revival with a general level of quality (there are poor seasons, but they're spread out evenly across the run) is actually pretty amazing.
Proof that you only need a Sutherland to make something good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote:I don't wish it would come back, though I understand the sentiment behind wishing it had gotten a longer run.
Yuppers. That too. :up:

Well, I go on the internet today and find out that a couple of US guys have challenged the Japanese creators of the Kuratas to a Giant Robot Fight (exact reaction from both me and Hound was *anticipatory maniacal laughter exclamation point exclamation point*), someone might have possibly found a Nintendo/Sony hybrid console in a box of junk, and The Raccoons might be coming back. Holy shiznit. July came in with a bang, yo.

Oh, oh, oh, and this was awhile back, but I forgot to mention the Reboot reboot. YAY.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

I was too young to get Reboot, how was it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Sades

Post by Sades »

MAGICAL!

Decent, I guess. I liked it... I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be one of those "It's actually worse than I remember it being" types of situations, and that the new one is just as good as I think the old one was. Also hoping Raccoons isn't shit (if it does happen).
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Warcry wrote:What kills me about the "interns" story is that they must have known what the job entails but everyone in the picture showed up to work wearing skirts. Surely that would slow them down compared to their pants-wearing colleagues?

There's at least two of us!

That is pretty much me. I would much rather see a new Farscape series produced the original series was the most imaginative sci-fi TV series made in the last 25 years and was a lot of fun to watch.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I tried to wish Hound a Happy Independence Day, but he told me there wasn't any such thing as an IndepenDance (like I'd make that up), AND he refused to demonstrate. The nerve!

We all know it involves moonwalking. Or as close to moonwalking as someone can get. Right?

HAPPAY INDEPENDANCE DAE 'MURICA
inflatable dalek

In the club last night (yeah, I still go clubbing unlike you fools in happy relationships and with growing families. I'm so alone) the DJ said the single greatest thing possible to get a crowd going:

"We're here till 4AM!

Or possibly earlier".

Ah, the enthusiasm.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Firefly? Absolutely love it, disappointed there wasn't more, but happy it got canned before it could start going through the motions. Over it.

Carnivale getting binned, though... now that I'm definitely still not cool with.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Dave Grohl won the Game of Thrones.

Edit: AVOIDING DOUBLE POSTING FTWWW look at me being all adult and shit. Or something. Meh.

Best cosplay ever. I need a baby just so I can steal this idea. http://i.imgur.com/gcNEaJd.gifv
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Dave Grohl is awesome. And smiley.

@Dalek; hey! I still do the clubbing...occasionally...

Spent most of yesterday in the pub. It were ace. We were seeing my friend Nicola off whom is going to Bristol for workness for a bit. And today I have been reminded how ace it was by feeling yuck at work all day. But I have now had a bath and feel better. Hooray for baths!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Whoooooo's got two thumbs and was dumb enough to get sunburnt twice this month? THIS LADY!

Seriously, ugh. Dumbass. This time, though, I just plain forgot to put on the sunscreen. God, I'm so freaking brown now.

I'd go clubbing. Maybe. I dunno, actually. I'd go to a pub with people, but not so sure about clubbing. It's dark and there's music/booze, so maybe.

Edit: Oh god, it's starting to itch. This is crazy. WHY DO PEOPLE GO OUT INTO THE SUN? I just slathered myself in lotion, I think I'm going to spend the rest of the small one's naptime writhing around on the carpet. DAMN YOU MR. SUN.

Edit2: Bactine spray. Ole ole ole?

I was only half-joking about the carpet... for a minute it actually seemed like a good idea.