So the trailer for the new JOSS WHEDON film has been leaked!!!!!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I wouldn't say "missed" it. Personally, I just didn't think it was worth commenting on, as there weren't really a lot of surprises. It's nice that they're finally doing something other than "White male overcoming impossible odds and the occasional minority", but it's not really shocking. The only big surprise for me was Inhumans, as that's not really a book I think of when the phrase "mainstream appeal" comes up, but as surprises go, it's a pleasant one.

I do agree with the Quick Fix on Cracked recently that said that it kind of ruins the effect when they flat out tell you what the next few batches of movies are going to be. But either way, it's better than DC announcing twenty-odd years of movies building on the strength of Man of Steel.
angloconvoy wrote:There've been times in my life where if I suddenly lost half a year and with the benefit of hindsight was shown, "this is the person you became" I would have been quite horrified, and I've never done anything particularly out of the ordinary horrific. It's all about the benefit of hindsight.
And that may be the case, but in the context of the story, it didn't come across that way. It came across as a shallow and crass attempt to restore the status quo in advance of the movie.
The SRA isn't too integral to Civil War. It could easily be replaced with something connected to the Hydra Shield fiasco that you'd expect Cap to side with except he doesn't. I loved how they used the Hydra thing, by the way, totally unexpected since that story mostly ran in the very B-List Secret Warriors.
Granted. The SHRA is a macguffin, and nothing more. Ideally, though, it's one that carries with it a lot of gray areas that the Hydra thing doesn't.

With the SHRA, there are valid reasons for both sides (provided Mark Millar isn't indiscriminately killing people for no reason). The Hydra storyline, on the other hand, destabilizes SHIELD, sure; but it was stopped by costumed heroes. If HYDRA has been exposed, and those in on it are ostensibly either captured or (in the case of Agent Manjaw from AoS) on the run, what reason does the government have for gunning for Cap? Other than, you know, being the government.
That point about getting past the adolescent Spider-Man and dealing with the grown up version was spot on. *SNIP* Probably the best way to get away from treading the same old tired ground.
But if there's one thing that's been proven time and again in the last few years, it's that Spider-man will never again be allowed to mature. If he should, by some ungodly accident, manage to make it all the way through puberty, we're gonna hit the reset button on that shit long before he takes his first, trembling steps into adulthood. Spider-man has to remain exactly the way he was when some neckbeard was a teenager, or what's the point? [/rant]
Maybe get in a bit about the souped up Spider-powers that he never uses on account of the fact he's actually an overpowered killing machine who constantly holds himself back because he's so riddled with guilt.
This was actually one of the most interesting things to come out of Superior Spider-man. It was nice to see folks getting a taste of what happens when Peter isn't holding back.