RIP Gerry Anderson.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

RIP Gerry Anderson.

Post by inflatable dalek »

If you're British he probably defined a large part of your childhood. Many kids properties have enjoyed long life through reinvention and remakes but Thunderbirds must be just about unique in having the same show run three times to three different generations with equal success.

I was more of a Captain Scarlet man myself. Though the episode of Thunderbirds with the collapsing Empire State and destruction of Thunderbird 2 is probably my favorite individual episode. Stingray is good fun as well, but not because Marina was worryingly sexy and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

It's probably time to forgive him for Space Precinct.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I got introduced to Anderson's work through Terrahawks. I'm trying to remember Space Precinct.

He created some great shows.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Shame. I was one of the lucky ones who got the Tracey Island THAT year. Huge fan of Thunderbirds, Captain scarlet, Stingray, Joe 90, Space 1999, UFO, even Space Precinct. Always found Terrorhawks a bit scary as a child, and I missed out on Supercar, but still.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Real sad news. Nobody else has done anything similar. Loved thunderbirds and captain scarlet as a kid. One of my earliest memories is swimming in a pool, pretending to be Thunderbird 4.
I like bears.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Rest In Peace Gerry Anderson.

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

:angel:
inflatable dalek wrote:If you're British he probably defined a large part of your childhood. Many kids properties have enjoyed long life through reinvention and remakes but Thunderbirds must be just about unique in having the same show run three times to three different generations with equal success.

I was more of a Captain Scarlet man myself. Though the episode of Thunderbirds with the collapsing Empire State and destruction of Thunderbird 2 is probably my favorite individual episode. Stingray is good fun as well, but not because Marina was worryingly sexy and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

It's probably time to forgive him for Space Precinct.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Anderson. Even though THE THUNDERBIRDS was not my favorite show, I still enjoyed watching it nonetheless. :angel:
:devil: Image :angel:
Terome

Post by Terome »

I remember reading once that Thunderbird-mania held Japan in a particularly savage grip and it was local companies trying to one-up the Anderson designs that led to the first transforming vehicles. Or did I just make that up?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Apparently so. For a TF related hint of it, find the original Japanese closing credits to Superlink on Youtube, they totally rip off the Thunderbirds "zoom out" ones. Plus Prime in that show badly wants to be Thunderbird 2, and even has the Mole as one of his rescue vehicles.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Terome wrote:I remember reading once that Thunderbird-mania held Japan in a particularly savage grip and it was local companies trying to one-up the Anderson designs that led to the first transforming vehicles. Or did I just make that up?
Chain goes like this: -

- Dinky import Thunderbirds. It bombs due to high prices (shipping heavy toys over) but inspires Popy to dump tin and vinyl in favour of diecast.

- Popy make Popynica (vehicles) and then Chogokin (robots).

- Latter soon involves Raideen (first known transforming toy); gradual evolution leads to the Macross Valkyrie (the first toy with an actual 'disguise'-style mode that isn't just a robot folded up, and first with some semblance of realism in vehicle mode). Popynica would, incidentally, later include Popy-designed TB toys.

- Takara are one of several companies trying to cash in on the robot craze. However, they're unable to spring for any licences due to being a two-bit operation; instead they make up Microman, which later evolves into Diaclone and Microchange (AFAIK the first lines to simply take common vehicles and turn them into robots; for general objects they're behind Lightan).
Terome

Post by Terome »

Hey thanks Cliffjumper, that is a bit more complicated and interesting than the impression I had.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I have seen a few Space: 1999 episodes and I was very impressed with that series casting, special effects, characters, and stories (even if the concept of the moon being blown out of the solar system does seem a fit far-fetched to me) but still it's a damn good series.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.