Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

My car must hate driving to Burlington by now. But what can I say? I have my goals.

Doomed Megalopolis- My favorite dubbing company is Streamline Pictures. Yes, they've been out of business since 2002(and hadn't released anything new since 1996), but everything I ever saw from them always seemed really well polished. It might be schlock sometimes, but it was earnestly done schlock. Counter this to A.D.V., who released some good stuff as well..... but there are times when I'd much rather listen to the original language track and read the subs than listen to their dub team(I'm looking at you, Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. And Dirty Pair. Oh, yes indeed). In the early 2000s, when some of Streamline's licenses started to expire, A.D.V. swooped in and grabbed some up, leading to their painful redub of the 3 Dirty Pair releases that Streamline had already released, and Doomed Megalopolis, which I remembered that Streamline had done, and as soon as I saw the A.D.V. logo on the DVD case, I went past it. Then I saw a review, and discovered that A.D.V. had released the Streamline dub instead of redubbing it. It's quite an interesting story, if you're into historical horror/sci-fi.

Armitage III: this is apparently the original OVAs, and not the recut/redub they did with Kiefer Sutherland and Elizabeth Berkley. And it was pretty cheap. Given the number of used anime DVDs they've got, I'm wondering if somebody dumped their collection.

Blood: The Motion Picture: Is it a bad sign when the Blu-Ray copy of a used movie is cheaper than the regular used DVD of a movie? Either way, the live action Blood movie is cheesy fun.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Which I watched on Sunday with my little Rey Lego Minifigure :)

Its still good, although I maintain that Kylo Ren is Kevin The Teenager and that C3-PO can jog on. Yes you do have a red arm. You're still a tin-plated t***
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Continuing on with my month of Schwarzenegger, I bought True Lies.
Destruction is my specialty
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

In a Lonely Place!

As recommended by both Brend and a joke in The Next Generation.

Fantastic, dark and thoughtful film. Not a crime drama as I thought (the murder is solved off camera) but the consequences of the death on the two people it throws together and then tears apart are explored against the brutal background of 50's Hollywood. And Bogart is fantastic as a really unsympathetic (possibly more so than was intended, the fact he broke the nose of a previous girlfriend is treated perhaps more casually than it would be today) yet still tragic piece of work. A brilliant film.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

SPOILER! (select to read)
It makes masterful use of casting to lead audience expectations, too. It's Bogart - of course he's the hero! Yeah, he's a bit rough around the edges but... oh. Oh. ****.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Deadpool Blu Ray steelbook - It's refreshing watching a more bloody, violent and humorous R rated Marvel movie after the lighter Marvel stuff and depressingly grim DC movies.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So a clean out of duplicates of stuff I had for DVDs(yeesh, I've got a lot of them, and I know I have more) sent me down to the used DVD and game store, and I picked up a couple of things:

Yu Yu Hakusho Seasons 1 and 3: I though they had season 2, but ah, well. I remember watching this show on Toonami, and liking at least part of it. I wound up missing large chunks, so it didn't make a lot of sense. Now maybe it will.

Twilight of the Dark Master: I've never heard of this one. Urban Vision released it, and I know they released several titles Streamline had either done or, I suspect, were in the pipeline before they shut down. It's not bad so far. Some of the cast sounds familiar, too.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Wayne's World:For the memories, and they're good memories. Its nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is, though.

Robot Overlords: With such a brilliantly preposterous title and a slew of awards across the back cover from institutions I've never heard of, I'm really hoping this will be an excellent piece of schlock. Apparently its a bit of a low budget British film about Robots having taken over the planet. And I love Pacific Rim, so I hope this achieves at least half that film's crappy brilliance!

Before Midnight: That one with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, because I fancied her once.

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Hateful Eight - A post-Civil War movie, directed by Quentin Tarantino, starring Tim Roth, Samuel L. Jackson and Kurt Russell.
inflatable dalek

HeavyArms wrote:The Hateful Eight - A post-Civil War movie
Blimey, Marvel are knocking them out quick.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Xena: Warrior Princess-Season 6 on DVD
Deadpool on Blu-Ray/DVD
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan-The Director's Cut on Blu-Ray
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

My anime collection is growing......

Legendary Armor Samurai Troopers: Uh.... Yeah....... I've never heard of it, either. Fortunately, I have access to this world wide super computer called the 'Inter-Net'(given the way work's been this week, paraphrasing Peri is wonderfully relaxing)... Okay. Looks like the English speaking world, or at least the US, got the show as Ronin Warriors. This DVD set collects the three OVA series that were done after the series ended. Having just watched the end of the fist episode, I get the feeling the dub may have been done with the intent of airing it along with the TV series dub.

Gungrave - The Complete Series: Haven't watched any of it yet, but it's from the guy who gave us Trigun, so it should be interesting.

And lastly, the icing on the insanity cake.....

Neon Genesis Evangelion - The Complete Series & 5 Movies: It's amazing what shows up at the used DVD store. Gungrave. Samurai Troopers. Evangelion. Although in the case of Evangelion, it's how it showed up. It's a set from Malaysia. The TV series has the ADV dub, but all of the movies only have the Japanese language track.

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

inflatable dalek wrote:Blimey, Marvel are knocking them out quick.
Heh, heh. Yep and no matter how fast they do it, it's always good.

I recently bought the Goosebumps movie, starring Jack Black as R.L. Stine, apparently not based on any of the books, instead it's set in the real world where the monsters from the books escape from the pages and terrorize the town.
Sades

Post by Sades »

We bought Deadpool. I've not seen it, but it's just a comic book movie so I'm sure it's fine for the three year old.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sades wrote:We bought Deadpool. I've not seen it, but it's just a comic book movie so I'm sure it's fine for the three year old.

You'd think so but Aria's first words were "Daddy, how come there's a massive alien invasion and Avengers everywhere and yet there are absolutely zero bystander casualties?"
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yeah, she got about halfway through before deciding it was trying too hard and asked for Molang instead. Guess I'll have to put a hold on the Deadpool-themed bedroom idea.

DEADPOOL SPOILERS eventhoughitsbeenoutforawhile...

Was a good film, not mind-blowing but alright. I was oddly impressed that their strip club actually looked like a strip club and not just a bar with a pole in it. And oddly put off a tiny bit by the fact that his mask moved like a face and that Colossus looked like a giant Muppet.

Not being a fan (except for maybe of goofy Deadpool cosplayers) and not really knowing any of these characters, I was totally expecting whatsherface to get shot as they were kissing there at the end or something. Seems the sort of dick move that would have fit in nicely.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Heinrad wrote:Although in the case of Evangelion, it's how it showed up. It's a set from Malaysia.
That sounds legit. But then, I have a Thai DVD of the original Terminator.
inflatable dalek

Watched 2001 for the first time in what must be close to 20 years. As a kid I always loved the creepy HAL stuff but found the rest a bore. Would my new found adult maturity bring a greater depth and understanding?

No, the HAL stuff is still the best bit (and the moment you realise he can lip read is a fantastic "****ing hell" moment), and has almost nothing to do with the rest of the film.

The big problem with the movie as a whole is that it doesn't know when to use the slow pacing plays on the shock of the change in environment, gets to wow the audience with the visuals and establishes the irony of the majesty of the environment contrasted with the bored attitude of those travelling.

The equally lengthy travelling to the moon sequence doesn't work because it just does the above all over again. The rest of the movie then switches back and forth between "Yes, I can see why they're taking their time over this" and "****ing hell, get a move on".

Looks great though, a couple of the model shots are a bit Gerry Anderson (accentuated by Ed Bishop showing up) but otherwise this looks amazing in HD in 2016. Ironically it's only the final star trip that looks really dated now, what was once mind blowingly insane and surreal now just looks like a YouTube video of every Doctor Who title sequence on a loop.

Frankly Leonard Rossiter popping up was the biggest mind **** in the whole film.
inflatable dalek

Another Bogart with Dark Passage!

Really odd film in that the whole central gimmick of not seeing his face until after he's had surgery to look like Bogey is well done and entertaining. But once he's unmasked and out and about the plastic surgery gimmick doesn't work. He's almost immediately seen as dodgy by the first person he meets (a cop) and second knows who he is anyway. The only person who doesn't almost immediately recognise him is the real killer. Who knew him before well enough that his voice really should have been recognised.

Some nice gags though, I loved the bit where we think we're listening to a noir voiceover only for Lauren Bacall to ask why he's talking to himself.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Zootopia Blu-Ray steelbook edition - A Disney, CGI, buddy-cop movie using anthropomorphic animals, starring Ginnifer Goodwin, Jason Bateman and Edris Elba.