Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. blu ray steel book - Starring the current Superman Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer of The Lone Ranger film, also Alicia Vikander, who was previously seen in Ex Machina.
Destruction is my specialty
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

My family got me City of Lost Children on DVD. Haven't seen it for a while, but remember really enjoying the bizarre fairy tale. I told my wife we have to watch it again ourselves to make sure that it's acceptable for the children before subjecting them to it!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'll be watching the rest of my Christmas present once I've finished the Jeremy Brett series, but I did watch the Peter Cushing version of the Blue Carbuncle on Boxing Day as a way of wrapping up (ho-ho!) the seasonal viewing.

It was obviously less lush than the Brett version thanks to that mostly being done on location and all on film, but Peter Cushing was very good and it was nice to see James Beck/Walker offa Dad's Army in a straight role as the pathetic villain.

Nigel Stock was the surprise though, I was expecting to hate his Watson and he is indeed basically playing the stupid version (at least based on this episode) rather than one that could credibly be a doctor... but he plays it well and is very likeable. Especially when he sheepishly gives Holmes a Christmas present. It helps there are a couple of attempts (I think he does better working out who the owner of the hat is than Watson does in the story, and he has to go do a doctor job at one point when the arrested suspect tries to hang himself) to make him more than the wide eyed buffoon who follows Holmes about in a state of awe.

I also watched the Brett version of Hound of the Baskervilles. Christ it's dull. I think the Peter Cushing film version is the best I've seen because they just go to town on the Gothic horror aspect.

It's interesting actually. Brett is the definitive Holmes and David Suchet is the definitive Poirot, but their takes on the most famous story of each character (Baskervilles and Murder on the Orient Express respectively) are both pretty poor.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Notabot wrote:My family got me City of Lost Children on DVD. Haven't seen it for a while, but remember really enjoying the bizarre fairy tale. I told my wife we have to watch it again ourselves to make sure that it's acceptable for the children before subjecting them to it!
Incredible film!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Ant-Man BD - Hadn't seen it, still haven't. Bought due to compulsive completionism.
Spider-man 3 BD - Previously the only Spider-man movie I didn't own. Hooray, I guess.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Finally got Batman: The Animated Series Volume 2, completing the pre-Superman run. Once I get Volume 4, I'll have all of the pre- Justice League Batman episodes.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It was a year or two ago now, but when my wife found V4 for me it was on Barnes & Noble's site. Maybe check there?

TAS really is a great show, isn't it? Well worth tracking down.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I just found out that I accidentally won seasons 1 and 2 of Everybody Hates Chris for 97 cents apiece. Plus $4 shipping, but that's still not too bad. Unfortunately the guy doesn't combine shipping, and someone outbid me on season 3, and he didn't have season 4. I was kind of hoping to get outbid on all of them and just get the whole series from Amazon for $30, but now the hunt will be exciting.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Warcry wrote:It was a year or two ago now, but when my wife found V4 for me it was on Barnes & Noble's site. Maybe check there?

TAS really is a great show, isn't it? Well worth tracking down.
Hadn't thought of checking there. I'll given them a shot.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' - A direct sequel to Battle Of Gods, which I find to be the superior of the two. I'm not saying Resurrection 'F' is bad but I feel like BOG was just simply better.

The Road - Starring Viggo Mortenson and Kodi Smit-McPhee is based on the book of the same name, written by Cormac McCarthy.

True Dectective season 1 steel book - A highly acclaimed tv show starring Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson and Michelle Monaghan.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Night Court: Seasons 7-9 The final 3 seasons from one of the 4 sitcoms that I actually love. An insanely funny show about the misadventures of an NYC court. Great cast, fairly decent continuity for an sitcom from the 80s-90s. The final 3 seasons feature some decent attempts at serialization with season long subplots and even some more "serious" dramatic stories and the occasional social commentary while still still having one of the most funniest, kind of surreal and bizarre season finale cliffhangers at the end of season 8 and equally funny, touching, surreal, bizarre and definite "this is the end" series finales at the end of season 9 you can find in American sitcoms.

Spider-Man Trilogy on Blu-Ray I found all 3 in the 8 dollar bin at Wal-Mart and figured what the hell? My birthday is coming up and I want these films.

Orange is the New Black: season 2 on Blu-Ray.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I miss Night Court. Watching Cheers, I've seen the odd appearance of Harry Anderson as Harry the Hat, which is what I like to imagine Judge Harry does on his days off, and it's given me the desire to rewatch that series. John Larroquette, too, as I've been watching The Brink, and he really was at his best on that show.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Heinrad wrote:Finally got Batman: The Animated Series Volume 2, completing the pre-Superman run. Once I get Volume 4, I'll have all of the pre- Justice League Batman episodes.
I thought Volume 3 also had pre-Superman episodes...unless you own that one already
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Also, Event Horizon on blu-ray! Haven't had this one since VHS - and I amusing remember more about the circumstances where I acquired it back in '99 or whatever than I do about the movie.

Also, uh, MLP:FiM season 2 on dvd.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Walmart has cheap Tarantino movies for Hateful 8, so I picked up Reservoir Dogs on BluRay for five bucks.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - I wanted to see this movie when it hit theaters....... but it never showed up around here. It's a fun movie.

Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Dead Man Wade wrote:I miss Night Court. Watching Cheers, I've seen the odd appearance of Harry Anderson as Harry the Hat, which is what I like to imagine Judge Harry does on his days off, and it's given me the desire to rewatch that series. John Larroquette, too, as I've been watching The Brink, and he really was at his best on that show.
I don't know if any VOD and streaming services that have it, seasons 1-3 are reasonably priced but seasons 4-9 are really expensive due to them being MODs (made on demand) from Amazon and WB's sites going close for $30 US a pop. The only reason I got the last 3 seasons was dumb luck due to having money and they were on sale for $20 a pop during a 12 hour window sale and I had the money and checked on Amazon.

My birthday was on the 10th and I got:
The Terminator, The Patriot: The Extended Cut, and It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie on blu-ray.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Ex Machina - A great, thought provoking independent film about an Internet billionaire who asks one of his employees to administer the Turing test to an android with artificial intelligence, starring Domhnall Gleeson, Alicia Vikander and Oscar Issac.

Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem.

Spy - Action/Spy/Comedy starring Melissa McCartney, Jude Law, Rose Byrne and Jason Statham.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

American Ultra - Starring Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart in an action comedy about a stoner slacker who finds out that he's a sleeper agent.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Volumes 10-12.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I rarely buy domestic movies on DVD, mostly because the popular film genres in Finland are really not to my tastes, and I have little to no interest in the "classics" which are often just bland and unambitious period pieces, but this one is an exception; Sampo, a 1959 fantasy film based on the national epic, and some of you might even recognize it by it's American title The Day the Earth Froze which was featured on MST3K.