Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I go got my first Hot Toys figures yesterday: Rocket Raccoon & Groot.

These are my favourite comic characters (I bet my love of Rocket goes back to his appearance in Marvel UK's Transformers comics) and I loved the Guardians of the Galaxy film. My wife also agreed that they would be acceptable to be shown in areas of our house seen by visitors (unlike Transformers). The Hot Toys figures looked awesome.

So... Yeah. They are awesome. Amazingly awesome. They look great. They're very poseable. They have a decent selection of hands, Groot has an angry face, Rocket has a gun (not allowed on display in my home's areas visible to visitors).

My goodness - Rocket even has whiskers.

I love them. They are truly mind blowing.

But they are BIG.

And expensive (very justifiably so given quality and size).

They're really great, but I do not understand why/how people collect Hot Toys figures. Aside from the money involved, where do they display (or even store) them?

I see Hot Toys as potentially great for one off purchases of figures with great personal meaning, but surely these are few and far between. I certainly have no desire to buy more despite how amazing Rocket and Groot truly are.

(As a side point, the box is total crap. It tore just folding it open. Disappointing given the price.)

(Also I still think the best non-Transformer figure I've bought is Figma Motoko Kusinagi. The quality and articulation are amazing and the scale is so much more practical than Hot Toys.)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

numbat wrote:I see Hot Toys as potentially great for one off purchases of figures with great personal meaning, but surely these are few and far between. I certainly have no desire to buy more despite how amazing Rocket and Groot truly are.
I'd likewise doubt many people collect them, per se -- most fall into the "favourite movie" or "impulse purchase relating to current big movie" categories.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I used to have around 6-10 HT figures at a time. My biggest one was the exclusive battle damaged Predalien from AVP: Requiem.

Actually, I think that was the biggest figure I've owned, PERIOD.

The problem with HT is that they just update everything every couple of years, leaving you with a (at times) very inferior version of something that you have purchased as the definitive collectible.

Biggest culprits to this are the Predator, Iron Man and Batman stuff. And it's bad because the original skyrockets in value until of course the newer version is available for PO---so if you naturally want to upgrade you are losing some money, potentially.

That being said, I hope you have photogenic memory brother---if you ever need to pack those figures back in, it'll be a b!tch unless you get them JUST right.

My best non-TF figures have to be the two VF19 figures I have from the now defunct Yamato. I actually think they must be my favourite figures period :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Denyer wrote:"impulse purchase relating to current big movie"
If people buy Hot Toys on impulse based on the latest big movie they have way more money that I do! Took me months to decide to commit to Rocket & Groot!
Knightdramon wrote:I hope you have photogenic memory brother---if you ever need to pack those figures back in, it'll be a b!tch unless you get them JUST right.
Rocket & Groot aren't too bad actually. Not too many accessories and spare parts, and they just sat there in tray depressions with various little plastic bags on some parts. Don't plan on putting them away again in the foreseeable future though.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I picked up two Planes 2 toy car things on clearance from Asda, Maru and Pineapple. Just because they looked adorable :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Ultra Agents 70167 Invizable Gold Getaway

Lego City 60068 Crooks’ Hideout
Destruction is my specialty
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Picked up a Marvel Legends Nova.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not sure if I mentioned these... apparently 2-3 years ago Takara did an updated Battle Beasts line called Beast Saga. Forty overall if you include a white bird that was exclusively a gashapon release. I think my favourite's still the first one I got, the turtle.

http://i.imgur.com/fJuFUnF.jpg

Rather than one-reveal rubsigns they've got dice launchers in their chests.

http://www.16bit.com/fotd/120926-beast- ... a-lion.asp

https://mikescollection.wordpress.com/tag/beast-saga/

http://www.poeghostal.com/2012/10/guest ... -tomy.html

http://i.imgur.com/Hfz2nur.jpg

The anime isn't bad. Obviously a string of clichés strung together, but plenty of positive* role model characters for kids. Most of it's been fan-subbed and there's better quality elsewhere than YouTube.

*Although the video thumbnail below has come up captioned "I need more booze". The alligator is one of the bad guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AYCI301bAg

edit:

Apparently an English dub is still on the cards.

http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/ ... pic=216042
Sades

Post by Sades »

Ooooh, most of those figures don't look half-bad. Also reminds me I need to keep an eye out for Battle Beasts when I head out to local collector shows... :up:

Hound just picked this up from the post office this evening and we were nerding so hard over it when we got it open, the Little was jumping around, yelling "GO, GOGOGOGO!" ("Go" is what she calls pretty much anything Power Ranger-esque), it was great. It is larger and altogether nicer than the American version of the toy, sadly the American ranger keys I picked up a couple of months back will not fit in the Bandai Asia version.

edit: (Beast Saga) HAMSTERRRRRR. As I said to Hound, "HOLY SHIT, THAT'S ADORABLE"
Attachments
IMG_0966.jpg
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hound

Post by Hound »

It is from the Super Sentai series Gokaiger. It was the 35th anniversary show when it aired. It was brought west as Power Rangers Super Megaforce. The gadget is called a Mobirates. Essentially it's the morphing device for the show's team. The gimmick is that the little figures fold up to reveal a key that is inserted into the phone gadget thing and then they change. There is a "Ranger Key" for every member of every Sentai team up to this show so this show's team is able to turn into any Super Sentai team. It also means that there are something like 200+ of these toy keys to collect.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yeah, it's the thing they're using to change in the beginning of this vid.

There's probably going to be stuff. I am both looking forward to stuff and afraid of overspending. :p

Nobody but me is going to be interested in this crap (well, maybe :p), but I'm gonna post anyway because I'm pretty happy with it. Today a friend of mine took me and my little shadow to a local market that sells antiques/vintage stuff... and (while looking for Battle Beasts actually, har) I found a contemporary mixed bag of Calico Critters (Sylvanian Families) stuff there! There's like a school playset, a grey and white rabbit family and a bunch of miscellaneous furniture.

It's not vintage stuff, it's the stuff they're selling in Toys R Us right now and there's definitely pieces missing from everything but normally it's stupid expensive and this stuff was only like 28 bucks for everything so I yoinked it right out of there. I removed all the tiny pieces like plates, fridge food, etc (Mum used to have Sylvanian Families as a kid and likes tiny things so Mum's gonna play around with that stuff now that small one is in bed, har) and gave Little the house, the bunny family and the furniture and she loves it.

HOLYSHITIJUSTFOUNDAHEDGEHOGFAMILYOMGXEWVJEGVENVF;V. Stinking cute. Pickleweeds, OMG. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0971.JPG
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Aww that's adorable! I love Sylvanian Families. They are a shade on the pricy side (and too many things to lose), but I do like checking them out when I'm in TRU and I appreciate the quality and care that goes into them. See Hasbro, this is how you get people to pay money for your wares, give them a bit of quality, instead of scrimping, keeping the price the same and hope no-one notices #Transformersaren'tasgoodaswheniwaslittleorevenfiveyearsago
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Ultra Agents 70169 Agent Stealth Patrol &
Star Wars 75083 AT-DP from Big W while they were on sale.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Skyquake87 wrote:Aww that's adorable! I love Sylvanian Families. They are a shade on the pricy side (and too many things to lose), but I do like checking them out when I'm in TRU and I appreciate the quality and care that goes into them.
I know, right? I'm thinking of getting a little cabinet, with many little drawers that I can put little plastic bags of tiny cutlery, plates, playfood, etc in. Because I'm probably going to be collecting more (on small one's behalf, of course... :glance: ) if/when opportunity arises.
Skyquake87 wrote:See Hasbro, this is how you get people to pay money for your wares, give them a bit of quality, instead of scrimping, keeping the price the same and hope no-one notices #Transformersaren'tasgoodaswheniwaslittleorevenfiveyearsago
They really aren't, and it's sad. Unless you're buying a MP figure, or something designed for toddlers.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I was wandering aimlessly through Toys'R'Us the other day, laughing at the shelves full of Leader Thundercrackers and hilariously overpriced MP Bluestreaks but not seeing anything actually worth buying in the TF aisles. Then I wandered into the Star Wars section and found that they had tons of the "Deluxe" Black figures on clearance...Jabbas and Rancors and (relevant to my interests) Biker Scouts. Ever since I first saw the 6-inch Black figures I've wanted to assemble a small army of different Imperial troopers to hang around with a Darth Vader, but since none of the stores locally ever seem to stock the stuff my Imperial legion had exactly one stormtrooper in it to date.

At 50% off (or basically the price of a figure without the vehicle) I very nearly grabbed all three or four of the scouts they had. Until I realized that I had no idea where I'd put four speeder bikes. Then I wisely decided to keep it to just one.

And it's a pretty cool figure, I've got to say. The articulation and especially the range of the joints is quite impressive, considering the guy is wearing restrictive plated armour. The speeder bike is a nice prop too, though the stand it came with is a bit too small to hold its weight if you try to pose it on a sharp angle. I do suspect that it'll wind up in a box downstairs in the not-so-distant future, though, especially if I can track down a few more troopers for him to hang out with. Two doesn't quite count as an army just yet...
Attachments
BikerScout.JPG
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego City Swamp Police 60067 Helicopter Pursuit - 20% off at Big W last Sunday
Mega Bloks Call of Duty Desert Squad &
Mega Bloks Call of Duty Atlas Troopers - both were 20% off during Target mid-year toy sale.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:I was wandering aimlessly through Toys'R'Us the other day, laughing at the shelves full of Leader Thundercrackers and hilariously overpriced MP Bluestreaks but not seeing anything actually worth buying in the TF aisles. Then I wandered into the Star Wars section and found that they had tons of the "Deluxe" Black figures on clearance...Jabbas and Rancors and (relevant to my interests) Biker Scouts. Ever since I first saw the 6-inch Black figures I've wanted to assemble a small army of different Imperial troopers to hang around with a Darth Vader, but since none of the stores locally ever seem to stock the stuff my Imperial legion had exactly one stormtrooper in it to date.
The state of TF's around me has been abysmal, though I finally saw CW Hotspot and Cyclonus. Passed on both. The only purchase on my future list is a MP Starscream if I can find one. I don't mind shelling out $60 for one.

Those SW 6" figures are pretty intriguing, but I've never bit on account of general cost and space constraints. Plus, the first one I would want is Vader, and those command significant cost on eBay these days. So it is that I stick with the 3.75" line.

Which brings me to my most recent eBay snag of VC Darth Sidious from Ep. 1. Really fantastic figure - great articulation, the soft goods robe is great, and the lightsaber and hilt are done well. Pretty much the perfect Sidious, IMO.

Also stopped by Wal-Mart this morning for a few items, not expecting to see anything noteworthy, but I swung by the SW aisle anyways. Much to my surprise, the pegs were stocked full with Black Series 3.75" figures!!! I picked up Clone Commander Doom and Commander Thorn to bolster my Clone army. I can't wait to get a few Shock Troopers to go with Thorn! A couple other notables I passed on since I couldn't justify a $60 blast of my wallet (I settled for $30) were C-3PO and Chewbacca. Looking forward to the Clones though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Getting closer to something I'm happy with...

http://i.imgur.com/Dn5cayH.jpg
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I picked up the Marvel Legends Spider-man 2099, as I'd made up my mind to do so if I saw another one.