Which Superhero has the best costume?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Zisteau
None of you numnuts has mentioned the Flash. Okay, I'll do it.

The Flash.

ahem...
Originally posted by Hound in the opening post
Flash - Bright red with lightning bolts all over it and little wings on the head and boots. What more could possibly say, "I run really, really fast"?
Denyer

@Z

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Denyer
For iconic, I'd say DC's big three, Captain America's shield, the X-Men team logo, Flash, and probably some other Marvel characters I'm forgetting.

I actually don't care for Wonder Woman's costume one bit. It's not practical. No woman goes into a battle wearing a low-cut, strapless bathing suit and high heel boots.
Except one without fear, the speed of a pantheon to deflect missiles and a decent degree of invulnerability.

I actually quite like WW -- as a supporting character, anyway. Like the other two of the Big Three, doesn't hold much interest for me in a solo sense.

(Prefer Bats in the JLA than with his own partners.)
Hound

Re: @Z

Post by Hound »

Except one without fear, the speed of a pantheon to deflect missiles and a decent degree of invulnerability.

I actually quite like WW -- as a supporting character, anyway. Like the other two of the Big Three, doesn't hold much interest for me in a solo sense.

(Prefer Bats in the JLA than with his own partners.)
Batman works best when he's got people around him to tell what to do. He's a born strategist. Batman: Year One is still the best Bats story and it's him all solo.

I actually haven't read much of anything that I thought Wonder Woman was great in except select parts of her solo series. Greg Rucka recently had a fantastic run on her title that just edges out Perez's as my favorite run of Wonder Woman. She's always kind of "just there" in JLA. She doesn't get a whole lot of cool things to do that make her stand out in anything but her own title.

As for her costume, that bathing suit wouldn't stay in place in battle, no amount of fearlessness or invulnerability keep those breasts covered. They don't make anything that would hold it in place through what she goes through and still allow her to remove it later either. That and high heel boots are really conducive to keeping one's balance and leverage, things that are key to hand-to-hand combat.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Right, talking of costumes, I've always wondered quite how Miracleman's costume always ended up torn to shreds whenever he did, well, anything? I mean, doesn't he have a forcefield? Is it just from him doing stuff? Because that'd suggest a major design fault... I get that when fighting Kid Miracleman (and why does everyone call KM 'Bates' anyway?) he can bruise and stuff from KM hitting his forcefield so hard it causes MM harm, but how does this result in his costume getting shredded?
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Ywo characters named Apollo -

First being The Authority's one, I dont know why but I just love the simple yet stylish full body suit.

The second is the Cyclops character called Apollo in the Amalgam universe, I loved the costume, it took elements from the 90's Jim Lee outfit but didnt make it look quite as stupid,

And alot of people may disagree with me, but I loved the Scarlet Spider costume
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
The Shadow.... Man I gotta get the film on DVD

£5.97 on Amazon UK
Bargainy
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Hound in the opening post

Flash - Bright red with lightning bolts all over it and little wings on the head and boots. What more could possibly say, "I run really, really fast"?

For iconic, I'd say DC's big three, Captain America's shield, the X-Men team logo, Flash, and probably some other Marvel characters I'm forgetting.

Yeah yeah so I skimmed the thread. You caught me. Happy?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
doesn't he have a forcefield?
Sure, but it's around his body rather than radiating out a bit (which is the cheap way heroes and particularly heroines don't end up showing -gosh- nipples.)
Originally posted by Hound
She's always kind of "just there" in JLA.
Best thing in Kingdom Come and Infinite Crisis, IMO. She's pragmatic.

Doesn't have heels in most of the art I've seen. Costume I think we can put down to the same nuts science as purple healing rays... and honestly I doubt Diana would be remotely flustered even if Amazon fabric somehow didn't do its job. Total self-possession seems to go with the character.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

erm... I'm kinga butting in here, but i have diffuivulty reading the other posts.

*ahrm*

I ... err... the only suits that stand out for me aer the ones that actioally do anything. ie. irom man, benom, batman etc. the rest is windowdressing.

but if i wasn't such a plauer6hater, I'f say wolvie(s little wings are quite fun, especially in his sunshine yelliow threads. xavier doies have a sense of humour after all :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Actually, *pushes up glasses* I think you'll find *snort* that Wolverine's costume was given to him by the Canadian Goverment *weird, brace-distorted sneer* [/nerding off all over the place].
Sure, but it's around his body rather than radiating out a bit (which is the cheap way heroes and particularly heroines don't end up showing -gosh- nipples.)

Ahh, obviously (well, obvious now someone's pointed it out ;)). Cheers!

Now, why does everyone call him Bates? ;)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Now, why does everyone call him Bates? ;)

Because they mentaly think "master" first.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

heroes and particularly heroines don't end up showing -gosh- nipples.)

Actually, while I haven't noted much evidence of this hypocrisy of late, between the fear of showing an "explicit" male and the lasciviousness of some artists, there was a fair period at Marvel Comics during which you were more likely to see a nipple on a fully-clothed woman than on a shirtless male. (One of the Hulk's more recent mutations, it would seem, was gaining nipples.)

As to the actual subject of this thread, I haven't given it enough deep thought to provide the detailed reasoning which Hound requested. But, looking at the figure here on my computer desk - if I may mention a super-villain (or should that be a separate thread?)- the Hobgoblin has a pretty effective costume. (The original/real one, not "Mr. Raggedy" Macendale.) The basic outfit evokes the Goblin heritage, while the color scheme differentiates him from the Green. And the alterations and additions - the hooded cape, the new, horned face on the glider, and particularly the much more impressive, sinister mask - solidify the distinctiveness of the character, and provide a fearsomeness worthy of a hobgoblin.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

First thing's first: sorry for bad spelling/grammar.

Spider-man:Black costume: I am a sucker for black costumes and this one actually ment something other than:look!a new costume! I also liked "Iron" Spidy more than the original.

Punisher: Nobody actually said Punisher? Sure, a t-shirt , some jeans and a black jacket isn't a costume, but his skull logo is still one of the coolest logos ever.

Deadpool: I am a Deadpool fan ever since he got his own comic-book( he sucked in X-Force). The red and black costume is awsome, and even the X-men one he had once looked good(though, his Weapon-x costume sucked ass).

Nightwing: It's dark, yet diffrent. I always liked his looks more than Batman,too.

Venom 2006/7- I always liked Venom, but his new costume(since he changed hosts) is way better than his old plain one.

Superman- It's the most iconic costume, there's no way around it.

Black panther: Black with gold nails...whats not to like?

Moonight: I liked the way you can only see his eyes from the hood...and they are always white.

Cyclops 2005-7: He switched to his old looks, and that's a good thing.

War Machine- Iron-man, with better weapons and monotone armor.

I don't read alot of DC. Most of my comic love are Marvel made.Especially Cable & Deadpool.
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!