BotCon 2009 thread (updated as info becomes available)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Is he Movie Wreckage's brother?

He's the best of the bunch so far, that's for sure, but that's not saying very much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

TFVanguard wrote:Apparently, millions of years ago in the 'Classics' timeline, where Cyclonus and Scourge had travelled back in time to serve under Scorponok. Granted, there are more than one set of problems with this explanation as well...
Okay. Now I confused. Blackjack haz headache in hiz whole body!

Flak? Landshark? Wow, these are f***ing random.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Flak does look good. Might try to see if I can find him loose perhaps . . . Kinda surprized that they're using two "big" molds in this year's set.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

So far, Wings of Honor looks to be "meh" at best.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Detective Barricade wrote:So far, Wings of Honor looks to be "meh" at best.
Flak's pretty, but he's a nobody.. he's not even the Micromaster character. Scourge is the only 'identity' piece so far that I would be remotely interested in. There's Kup.. but.. a young Kup that looks nothing like the Kup we know.

The toys aren't awful, per se, but there's nothing really making me wish I had pre-paid for the set. If I really want, I'll hunt down Scourge later, that's assuming the Titanium isn't re-released as a Target exclusive.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

It's really too bad about this year's release. Mostly because I'm going to Botcon for the first time in five years, and the set we're getting is turning out to be...

...ah well. Flak really is the only one so far that's pretty nice. Even Scourge is only so decent.

Still kinda wondering what little figure extras we might be able to get beyond the WoH set. (EDIT: Beyond the Starscream Skyquake/Leozack repaints)
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

meh, the Axalon Set from 06 was cool and the 07 seeker set was cool, but the shattered glass stuff and this stupid line-up leave me no desire for Botcon Exclusives.

Dammit, stop using A-E-C molds... they are so over now.
Come on and wind me up.
Civ

Post by Civ »

another tf fan wrote:Dammit, stop using A-E-C molds... they are so over now.
But the problem is, what else is there? They can't use the Movie molds since they're owned by the movie company; however, I don't know about the molds that aren't of characters who appeared in the movie (Landmine, Real Gear, etc.). I suppose there's also Animated but what could they turn the Animated characters into?

Hmmmm...
Bumblebee to Cliffjumper
Prowl to Blue/Silverstreak or Smokescreen
Prime to Huffer
Bulkhead to ...?
Ratchet to Ironhide?
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Clay

Post by Clay »

Civ wrote:They can't use the Movie molds since they're owned by the movie company;
Not quite. The car companies own the copyrights of the vehicles that the toys represent. The botcon folk can't use the molds without cutting another check to those companies as well. General Motors doesn't own the toys directly, but they do get a piece of sales, so for a little event like botcon it'd just be too expensive.

And GM might also veto any convention decos too, so there's that as well.
Skywarp aka Scourge

Post by Skywarp aka Scourge »

Flak bio goes:

An experienced 'alien fighter' who forged his career in the Cybertronian Revolution, Flak is a fearsome opponent. Space pirates, mutants, transorganics... Flak has fought them all, first as a security officer, then as an explorer, and finally as a shock trooper under Thunderclash's command. Off the battlefield, combat doesn't interest him; it is his job, he does it when needed and he does it well.

Who is Thunderclash? Have we seen him already and I just missed him?
I was the first Decepticon to awaken on Earth in 1984, where we has lay dormant for around 4 million years.
My alt mode was altered by that fancy caculator other wise known as Teletran 1, to that of an Earthen jet. The F-15 Eagle.
I am usually paired up with Thundercracker and Starscream, or Screamer as I call him, on attacks.
I have the ability to teleport to any where within a 2.5 mile radius. But the problem I have is, the further I teleport the less accurate I will get. Because of this I have been know to crash into a few things.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

numbat

Post by numbat »

Skywarp aka Scourge wrote:Flak bio goes:

An experienced 'alien fighter' who forged his career in the Cybertronian Revolution, Flak is a fearsome opponent. Space pirates, mutants, transorganics... Flak has fought them all, first as a security officer, then as an explorer, and finally as a shock trooper under Thunderclash's command. Off the battlefield, combat doesn't interest him; it is his job, he does it when needed and he does it well.

Who is Thunderclash? Have we seen him already and I just missed him?
http://www.tfu.info/1992/Autobot/Thunde ... rclash.htm

Thunderclash was the leader of the Turbomasters, the very last of the G1 line (European exclusives). Fairly awful mould, really, and fairly obscure character. Shame, as the same series provided such greats as Stalker and Flash.

He was re-released as Machine Wars Optimus Prime (an even worse deco):

http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/mw_optimusprime.php
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

another tf fan wrote:Dammit, stop using A-E-C molds... they are so over now.
Well, this year, since they used most of classics, and both Animated and Movie are off limits, they're pretty much limited to the AEC era. For me, that's fine, there are some pretty good molds in there to choose from.. they just seem to be rather half-hearted in their offerings this year.

A full set of just the Turbomasters vs the Predators would have been far better, for instance. And they're obscure enough that you wouldn't have to remold the heads all that much (just paint 'em gold)... and save the remolding for the wings of the jets.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Why are the Animated molds off limits?
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Blitzwing wrote:Why are the Animated molds off limits?
No idea, but that's the last I heard (and, yes, that's a definate 'he told me' there). Could be an issue with design rights, royalties, or something, I suppose, since the designs aren't internal to Hasbro. But, really, I'm just guessing.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

You sure Animated are off limits? Movie, yes (most of them anyway) but Animated? I mean, who's gonna take the royalties? Cartoon Network?
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Blackjack wrote:You sure Animated are off limits? Movie, yes (most of them anyway) but Animated? I mean, who's gonna take the royalties? Cartoon Network?
I thought I remembered one of the BotCon people saying such some time ago. It could just be that they can't use them YET.. but I don't know, really.
Skywarp aka Scourge

Post by Skywarp aka Scourge »

numbat wrote:http://www.tfu.info/1992/Autobot/Thunde ... rclash.htm

Thunderclash was the leader of the Turbomasters, the very last of the G1 line (European exclusives). Fairly awful mould, really, and fairly obscure character. Shame, as the same series provided such greats as Stalker and Flash.

He was re-released as Machine Wars Optimus Prime (an even worse deco):

http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/mw_optimusprime.php
Thanks for the info. I never even heard of turbo masters...
I was the first Decepticon to awaken on Earth in 1984, where we has lay dormant for around 4 million years.
My alt mode was altered by that fancy caculator other wise known as Teletran 1, to that of an Earthen jet. The F-15 Eagle.
I am usually paired up with Thundercracker and Starscream, or Screamer as I call him, on attacks.
I have the ability to teleport to any where within a 2.5 mile radius. But the problem I have is, the further I teleport the less accurate I will get. Because of this I have been know to crash into a few things.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Skywarp aka Scourge wrote:Thanks for the info. I never even heard of turbo masters...
What? Never heard of Boss, Flash, Hurricane and Scorch? That is a crime! j/k

I agree with Vanguard. A fulls set of Turbomaster, and maybe Preadators as souvenir sets/Attendee exclusives would have been better than this set.

Main set: Boss, Flash, Scorch, Hurricane, Thunderclash
Attendee exclusive: Rotorstorm (there was a sixth T.Master, not sure of name).

Ah well. :nonono:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Optimom
Protoform

Need help for son - huge TF fan

Post by Optimom »

Hi,

My son is 9 and nearly obsessed with TF. Is BotCon open to the public on the 28th? If not, what do I need to join/sign up for to go on that day. Is it worth only going on Thursday? We have a conflict with the other days. Thanks.