TF Universe Toys (Opinions)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Got my uni. Ironhide, and peices fell off when I transformed it for the first time. His foot was coming apart at the seam, and his horrible blue face paint wasn't covering his entire face. The head doesn't come up all the way, so he's always kind of looking down. Lousy QC at the factory, i guess? Still, he's not too bad, as a figure. Definitely Ironhide. I can fix him.

But that blue face... gaah. :down: I need model paint.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Should have waited. We're getting a silver-face Ironhide as a running change. I've decided to just wait and only get Sideswipe for now.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I picked up Galvatron on a whim today -- it was the first time I'd seen any deluxes past wave 1 -- and he's not nearly as terrible as I was afraid he'd be. The transformation is a nightmare, but the robot and tank modes are both pretty neat. He's just a tad below average all things considered and he would have fared a lot better if they'd projected the design up to voyager size, but he's still miles better than that piece of junk Tankor.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

I dunno, i think tankor's bot is good, his vehicle crap.

Galvy's tank good, his robot, not so much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gareth Infinity

Post by Gareth Infinity »

Got Sideswipe. Definitely like him better than Sunstreaker, but there are a few things wrong.

The head doesn't really come up far enough...unlike on Sunstreaker, I can't fix it by just pulling on it. The white part at the top of the chest blocks his chin/mouth a little when looking at him from the front.

It may just be this one, and not a widespread problem, but the shoulder ball joints are WAY too tight. Moving the shoulders without making them look really stupid is difficult.

In general, the mold is cool-looking, but the complexity of it is starting to annoy me. Or more like, the ridiculously tight fit of all the parts. I can't just crack it open and transform it for fun, it's more of an endeavor. I wouldn't like to see a young kid try and transform it.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

That's why my Wildrider is left in car mode. :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Got Ironhide and I love him. The light blue isn't that bad in person. Mine has the blue face, but the blue doesn't have any red showing through it. I'm kinda disappointed that he doesn't have a swivel above the elbow, but I can live with that.

I'm probably just gonna paint his face silver anyway. I don't really see the point of buying two Ironhides.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Picked up Blades since I didn't have the mold. He's a sweet figure. :up:
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Got Silverstreak today. Colors are better than Prowl. Much better. Still has very awkward proportions on account of the huge doors, and the shoulder cannons sure don't help much. Halfway decent figure at least.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I got the newest ones a couple of weeks ago (Swipe, Streak and Ironhide) Sideswipe had loose doors that I was able to tighten down. Otherwise he's very nice. Not all too keen on the head, but I'm not sure if I'll cut the 'ears' off and redo them or leave it alone. The white versus the light gray I thought he might be really sells him. I love both versions of this mold and have them displayed together. Probably my favorites of the releases so far.

Bluestreak actually had super-tight hip joints--to such a degree that it gouged the ball inside the socket. This actually hindered the car mode, as the legs couldn't click back together since whatever guide bits that are inside the socket kept settling into the little carved-out trench in the ball. I went ahead and exchanged it, and the hip ball-sockets on the new one are just fine. Knew something was up because my Prowl didn't have that issue at all.

Anyway, I love the color scheme with Bluestreak. I think one of the major helping points is that the neck panel thing is black just like his upper body, so it doesn't look so eyesore-ish. Though, the sticky-paint issue is apparent on him just the same as my Prowl. If it ever fades bad, I'll just recoat those parts with some Tamiya silver Leaf. (Which is a shade brighter, but man, does it look factory-nice!)

Ironhide is not so bad, though I'm having to do some touch-up work with him. Window paint changes, various paint-apps all around (besides making a silver face.) And I prefer the alt-transformation where you keep his bumper down and fold his hips out a bit so he's taller. You lose the chestplate, but I'm thinking of separating that piece off the bumper and gluing it in place. Otherwise, he's a great piece, even with the serrated look of the alt-mode.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Pun-3X wrote:Tamiya silver Leaf. (Which is a shade brighter, but man, does it look factory-nice!)

Whatever happened to Mithril Silver?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to get some Cherry Red and Silver paint for my Ironhide; already fixed his face but need more silver for my redeco of Classics Megatron. Need to get a blue for the windshields as well, thinking Metallic Sky Blue... if they have it.

Got a Universe 1.0 Rollbar from BBTS today. just got him because I use to have the G1, didn't realize he was a combiner! now I feel like I need the whole set.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Later on last night I tried to use nail polish remover to take care of the gunk. I don't really care about stirpping the blue off the windshield, but it only managed to spread it a bit . . .
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to get some Cherry Red and Silver paint for my Ironhide; already fixed his face but need more silver for my redeco of Classics Megatron. Need to get a blue for the windshields as well, thinking Metallic Sky Blue... if they have it.

Got a Universe 1.0 Rollbar from BBTS today. just got him because I use to have the G1, didn't realize he was a combiner! now I feel like I need the whole set.
Dragon, If I might make a suggestion, instead of using a metallic blue, paint those "windows" silver, then apply some blue clear-coat to them over that.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Tramp wrote:Dragon, If I might make a suggestion, instead of using a metallic blue, paint those "windows" silver, then apply some blue clear-coat to them over that.

Thats funny as hell... It's exactly what I ended up doing, they didn't have any of the paint I was looking for originally!

Anyways, Got Universe Dropshot. Like him, simple transformation, sturdy, and more weapons than a paranoid para-military Guru!
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Thx for the idea, Tramp. My Gundam's Beam swords look a lot cooler. :up:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Picked up the Aerial Rivals, Special Team Leaders and Dirge vs Roadbuster sets.

Aerial Rivals:
-Blades is nowhere near as good as the voyager version. One of few Legends that are only all right.
-Air Raid-I liked the TFU 1.0 version. This one is cool too.
-Sky Dive-Not a huge fan of the Soundwave mold, but he looks cool.
-Ramjet and Thrust-The Starscream mold is great. Two of them as seekers makes a lot of sense.

Special Team Leaders:
-Hot Spot. My most-anticipated legends figure. I really like it. Plus it's the first Hot Spot in over 20 years. The mold looks perfect for him.
-Hun-Grrr-this was my first complete gestalt. The Scourge mold is perfect for it.
-Razorclaw-Once again the Leobreaker mold is perfect.
-Silverbolt. It's all right. Wasn't very impressed with how Thundercracker looked.
-Scattershot. The mold works, but I don't particularly like the Vector Prime look all that much.

Dirge-This mold looks fantastic in this particular shade of blue. I really like it.
Roadbuster-I like him. Pulled out my TFU 1.0 Whirl to team up with him.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Pun-3X wrote:Ironhide...Window paint changes
I painted thesunroof, rear door glass and quarter glass gloss black. It really helpe hide the disturbing amount o cut lines and helps the alt mode look much better.
Come on and wind me up.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Mind posting a pic, by any chance?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gareth Infinity

Post by Gareth Infinity »

Legends Hound has been missing from the shelves, but now there is an abundance of them. Picked one up upon first sight.

Overall, it's not bad. I like the vehicle mode (back of the package calls it "Military Mode" :eyebrow:), it's always cool to have a little jeep around. But the arms are annoyingly limited in robot mode and the windshield likes to pop off as a result of moving them, particularly if you keep it where the instructions would recommend.

Now, the Legends Animated figures are sold in Universe packaging. So, once I open them...where do I talk about them?! :lol: