[Animated] Reaction Thread: "Endgame, Part II" -- Episode 42

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Civ

[Animated] Reaction Thread: "Endgame, Part II" -- Episode 42

Post by Civ »

Just got done watching this and I thought this episode was very disappointing. It felt like a bad G1 episode where everything was going the good guys way and even Prowl's sacrifice didn't come off as tragic or anything of the sort. The whole episode just felt "blah".

Maybe I'll be able to articulate it better later but for now, I'm just very disappointed that this is the way Animated ended.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

It didn't blow my mind like I was building myself up to. A good episode to be sure, but 30 minutes was not enough time to properly wrap this excellent show.

What happened with Ultra Magnus? Is Optimus Prime going to lead the Autobots now? Guess we'll never know.
Come on and wind me up.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

What saved Prime from the explosion? Prowl's spark?
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:What saved Prime from the explosion? Prowl's spark?
I think it might hvae been Prowl's ghost.

It was oky, but I wish they did the ending a bit better. Would have liked to see what happened after words with Ultra, if the group became apart of the Elites and soem other things.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Despite a few slow parts (stock footage, I'm looking at you), I found this a very satisfying end to a great show.

They tidied up most of the loose ends very well, leaving a few lingering questions. Where exactly did Sari come from, and what about Femscream, Wrek-Gar, et al., who are still on Earth? Speaking of Sari, I really love her new technopathic powers. They are somewhat similar to her Key powers, yet not so godlike as to ruin show's tension.

Shockwave's defeat seemed a bit too easy, but considering the time constraints, I understand that he had to be defeated quickly. On the other end, I thought Prowl's death was a bit pointless. Maybe it was because I knew it was going to happen (thanks whatever f**ktard it was who posted that info without spoilers :mad:), but it just didn't seem altogether necessary. Then again, I'm can't help comparing him to Dinobot, which just isn't fair.

Otherwise, I would have liked to have seen more of Arcee; again, time constraints, so that's alright.

This episode seems to leave little doubt, but I guess it's down to Botcon to give us the official announcement on Animated's fate.

Whatever that fate may be, it's been a blast! Many thanks to Hasbro, Derrick Wyatt and all the others who brought use this fantastic show! :D
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

It was a pretty good episode. Not that great however, seemed anti-climatic too me. Did like it just not what I would have expected.

The loose ends are what get me though...
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Before I start Spoiler warning cause I didn't get one, though I expect if you're reading this thread you've seen the ep.

I agree with Kamen. A very good episode that ran out of time to finish everything up. Prowl's death actually felt worthwhile to me. It played out well. Prime wielding the hammer well and measuring up to Megatron was well done as was him becoming Magnus as I expect he would've done had the series continued.

It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the episode ended well and that things were rounded up nicely. There were always going to be things left over and I just hope this isn't the last we get to see of this, though it looks likely. I doubt Hasbro could commission another series that I will enjoy as much or be as enthusiastic about so I'm just glad that we got Animated for three seasons.

I'll also say that another f*cktard (?) spoilered the episode for me over on the IDW forums. Posting the ending without warning people seriously sucks. I actually enjoyed it even though I knew, but I wish they hadn't done that.
Li Digahes Ioloet

Post by Li Digahes Ioloet »

It was a interesting way to end it. Good way. Did not give everything away, maybe too little.

Reminded me slgihtly of when they were forced to finish Dark Angel. They clearly did not want the show to end but they put their all into the story and made a end that made you want more. Hoping the fans would get angry and petitiona another series probabely.

I do not see why Prowl had to die. He was good.

I hope they make more because the show does not deserve to get cancelled yet.

But one thing that annoyed me.

Why did Optimus Prime not kill Megatron? I like Megatron and he not being dead is good. For if they bring it back. So long as he gets to fight and do things instead of not doing anything like in some.
But what is wrong with killing a fallen enemy? Megatron is a warrior and clearly did not fear death. So why get all pathetic and send him to prison?

You get someone down you kill them. Simple.

And I wish someone had killed Sentinal Prime in a painful and violent way. After arresting and trying him. He is evil. Evil and stupid.
Why are they so patient with him? All they had to do would be gang up and kill him. It is not like he has any power over them. He had no real power over anyone ever. Nothing a good plan and a open in front of the authoritiies fight backed up with video evidence on a screen and many back ups would not solve.
He is a hindrence.
All they had to do was play the game and get rid of him and kill him and hide the evidence and show the incriminating evidience.

I don't know why Optimus Prime did not drop him in it when they were being questioned in the flashback.
nutype
Protoform

Post by nutype »

I thought it was ok, as a season finale, but pretty disappointing as a series finale. They spent to much time fiddling around with Thor's hammer, and the jetpack. I guess I like old blood and guts prime better, who just pummeled Megatron to the ground in hand to hand combat.

I thought it was cool how they attempted to have all the Autobots play a role in the final battle where they got to use their unique skills to achieve a group victory but it just seemed they didn't have enough time to really show each of the bots struggling against a particular challenge.

I think there wasn't enough time to reach that emotional pitch.

I actually thought that there was going to be a Part 3 to the story to wrap up what happens to Ultra Magnus, the apparant creation of the Matrix and everything else. I guess not.

Its too bad this is the end. I'd love to see a Season 4 with Jazz, and Arcee in the group. What a cool group of Autobots that'd be. All things considered, even as a G1 purist, I have to admit I did like this show. Its obvious the love the creators poured into it. The characters seemed very true to their origins for the most part, I just wish the show had more time to sort of breathe, and fill out but 3 seasons is really not enough. However all things considered, Animated captured the spirit of the original characters, and spun a story around a setting that truly felt like transformers. It was a fun, if uneven (and abruptly ended) trip around the suburbs of Cybertron.
Bluecatcinema
Protoform

Post by Bluecatcinema »

Li Digahes Ioloet wrote: Why did Optimus Prime not kill Megatron? I like Megatron and he not being dead is good. For if they bring it back. So long as he gets to fight and do things instead of not doing anything like in some.
But what is wrong with killing a fallen enemy? Megatron is a warrior and clearly did not fear death. So why get all pathetic and send him to prison?

You get someone down you kill them. Simple.
Optimus didn't kill him because, unlike the Decepticons, he values life, even a twisted one like Megatron's. If he were to kill him, it would be a violation of everything he stood for.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

i did really enjoy this episode, despite it not being everything i hoped it would be, it still satisfied. it would have been nice to see the dinobots one last time. i honestly thought we were gonna see them when the omega lugnuts crashed on the island but alas no. i would have loved to see what happened after they're arrival on cybertron, and also to have found out the ending to sari's story. Prowl's death upset me, that final smile he gave was heart wrenching and i have no shame in admitting i cried out "NOOOOOO!" when it happened.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

It was a great episode, but it still feels kind of empty... I think it has to do with the fact that there likely isn't anything more coming from this awesome series and we know it.:( They could've left out the stock footage, cut down on some of what happened in part 1, something to give this episode more time to tie up some loose ends. I would have LOVED to see Ultra Magnus back and bust Sentinel Prime back to Protoform for his power grab and actions...
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
nutype
Protoform

Post by nutype »

I totally agree. As a writer, you have to know that when you don't have unlimited time, flash backs, and anything not directly pertinent to what is currently taking place in respect to the tale at hand, has to be cut.

It stinks because you still get the sense that if the series was not cancelled, there are more stories that they intended to tell.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

nutype wrote:As a writer, you have to know that when you don't have unlimited time, flash backs, and anything not directly pertinent to what is currently taking place in respect to the tale at hand, has to be cut.
It's very likely that the writers didn't know if the show would be picked up again-they probably still don't know-especially at the time the season was written.
CJHawk
Protoform

Post by CJHawk »

I really enjoyed the episode and how the seriesended. While I am sad to see it go at least it went out with a bang. We got three really great seasons and the episodes in the last season were just as strong as the first two. I would have rather quality of quantity and TFA delivered quality.

Now lets see what happens at Botcon. I'm wondering if we won't be pleasantly surprised. If TFA was done for good I would expect Hasbro to just announce that and not wait until a big collector show. It doesn't seem like the right place to deliver bad news.
nutype
Protoform

Post by nutype »

Man I expected a lot more chatter, considering how enthusiastic people seemed about Animated.

I hope the silence is due more to everyone being at Botcon, as opposed to major league disappointment.

My g1 purist ways usually have me on the more critical end of things, but has everyone's disappointment in the ending of the series killed interest in the show and its ending?
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

All those complaining that the series doesn't come to a clean, "complete" end are narrow-minded. The show reflects real life in that way - wars never come to a perfect, all-encompassing ending. We celebrate the show for its realistic treatment of war, death, politics, fear, and so on, yet we get upset when every single storyline isn't tied up cleanly simultaneously? That's a contradiction in terms. Grow up, people, and understand that Animated's creators probably wrapped up the series with the understanding that no great story ends with every subplot accounted for.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

I thought it was brilliant - the culmination of an excellent season that continued building on its own mythology while giving nods to the past. The final battle felt suitably epic, the damage on Prime and Megs was a great touch, and to kill Screamer so coldly as well - fantastic. I think my only quibble would be spending needless seconds on stock transformation footage instead of completing Sari's story. All the other loose ends I can happily live with.
nutype
Protoform

Post by nutype »

Vin Ghostal wrote:All those complaining that the series doesn't come to a clean, "complete" end are narrow-minded. for.
You know what is narrow minded? Labeling people who were critical of the show's ending as narrow minded. I'm pretty sure its possible to simultaneously enjoy the series and dislike/be critical of the ending. And as for a "Great Story" I wouldn't give this show that much credit. It had a great premise, and really shined at times with episodes like "Transwarped" but in terms of storytelling it was choppy, and uneven, and overloaded with irrelevant deus-ex-machinas like Sari, whose story lines in the end had no bearing on the series conclusion.

I think the show came together brilliantly at times, and really dragged at others. That being said, its the only transformers show that I liked since g1. I wish that it had been paced better in terms of overall story archs, because with elimination of some of the more comedic episodes, I think the show's storylines could have been resolved in 2 part episode, regardless of how surprised the show's writers were by its abrupt cancellation, with a more structure to each season of the show leading up to its end.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

nutype wrote:You know what is narrow minded? Labeling people who were critical of the show's ending as narrow minded.
You know what is narrow-minded? Labeling people who actually took the time to explain their thinking in a cogent manner as narrow-minded.

Hypens are a beautiful thing, by the way.