Spotlight: Optimus Prime

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Spotlight: Optimus Prime

Post by zigzagger »

Spotlight: Optimus Prime is due August 29th (2007). Place your praise and hate here.

UPDATE

For those who are interested, Spotlight: Optimus Prime 3D is due to arrive November 19th (2008).

Now witness the title character be sidelined in three dimensions. Ooooo.

Variant Cover

And.....

While, yep, it's the same book we've already read, Chris Ryall gives us a 5-page preview of the, ooooo, effects for the upcoming Spotlight: Optimus Prime 3D Edition...with glasses.
http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/11/o ... n-3-d.html
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

A...decent read. Sadly, it reads rather short. Nevertheless, we do get an extra sixth page in the already seen Devastation "special" preview and, overall, some lovely penciling and colors. The story itself does a fine job filling in the some of blanks in current developments, particularly with the Dead Universe story arc, as well as adding a slightly fresher twist on older concepts. In some respects, it is a follow up to Spotlight: Galvatron, tying in nicely with the pre-historical bits found within the pages of Galvy. Once again, we learn a few more details pertaining to the previous Primes, which we seem to be getting a lot of lately. While Megatron: Origin has given us some (rather scant in my opinion) background on Sentinel Prime, Spotlight: Prime reveals yet another Prime - Nova Prime, presumably a predecessor of Sentinel, who was directly involved with the mystery surrounding the first Ark. As it turns out, Galvatron's earlier summation of the Ark's quest for expansion (and destiny) was indeed accurate, with Nova Prime (revealed by Omega Supreme) being the driving force behind the expansion (purposes seemingly corrupt in nature).
While on the subject of Nova Prime, another very intriguing development was revealed during Prime and Omega's scuff with Monstructor (yes this is the first time we see a combined Gestalt in the main IDW continuity. Pretty sure , anyway); that being the identity of Nova's chief theoretical strategist. I'm of course referring to Jhiaxus, whom we have not seen in the printed form for quite some time. I have to admit, I'm rather curious where Furman and company will go with this, and no doubt we will actually get to see him at some point, since it was hinted that he had disappeared along with Nova Prime, possibly when Galvatron drove the Ark into the Dead Universe. Having personally enjoyed the G2 series, It pleases me to see references made to it. ...though, I honestly could care less if Liege Maximo turns out to be somehow involved with the Dead Universe.
There were, however, a few points that made me groan. First, Omega Supreme's role in this story really struck me as a mere plot device in order to introduce the Gestalts into the main continuity (something that a lot of of fans wanted). We learn little of his relationship with Optimus, in part due to Monstructor interrupting them. Really, Omega's presence in this Spotlight seemed more like an easter egg of sorts, a nod to the fans of the old. Two, and perhaps the most vexing, IDW Gestalt technology seems to be akin to IDW Pretender technology, in the sense that it makes its subject(s) turn into rampaging monsters that speak either in none or fractured speech. Furthermore, Prime's reasons for meeting with Omega and their subsequent discussion just so happened to coincide with Monstructor's arrival (and back story), didn't sit too well with me. What are the chances of that happening :rolleyes: But, hey, maybe that was deliberate on Furman's part. So I'll reserve further judgment of that to a later time.

Overall, yet another fun but average (and short) read, with some lovely Dead Universe tie ins sure to be interesting as the story continues to develop.
A 3 out 5
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

I DEFY you to tell me Don Figueroa is not the best TF artist out there.

I defy you!

Don's work on this issue is fantastic, to say the least. He's gotten better at shrinking down the size of the characters to easily fit within the panels so things aren't crowded. His 'silhouette" shots from the side view in this issue are awesome, an effect used way too infrequently for my taste. And is there anyone better at pencilling gestalt battles than Don does? Omega vs. Monstructor was beautifully rendered, almost up there with his Bruticus vs. Predaking rendering while at Dreamwave.

The story was good too. Not that meaty, but still revealing some nice surprises, like where gestalt technology began, who the first Prime is, and the existence of a character Jhiaxus, who we can only hope is the one from the Generation 2 comic. Interesting it's not Devestator that was the prototype this time, but the Monsterbots instead. Nice surprise there Simon.

Very nice job, a solid "A-" in my book, both art and storywise.
chiasaur11
Protoform

Post by chiasaur11 »

He isn't.

Nick Roche is. (Of the U.S. IDW bunch anyway)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Just got this today. the art is, as stated above, great. Monstructor is nicely done in a strangely colourfu way. prime looks great (reminds me of the top part of energon prime). However the are some horrible flaws. Omega supreme, as noted, is just a plot device. Considering what monstructor does to him, you kinda feel they sould have use someone less powerful. maybe alpha trion or something. Also the way Prime defeats Monstructor is a bit stupid considering its omega who tells him what to do yet didnt do it himself despite being about 5 times the size of prime. The plot behind the gestalts is also a bit dubious. I mean who would be surprised that things would go wrong when using subjects with names like Scowl, Birdbrain & Wildfly? Maybe a different group would have worked here. Also the timing of the events is certainly a fantastic coincidence but maybe there is something more involved. Finally, am I the only one who thinks that prime turns on omega Supreme a bit too quickly?

Anyway, its good but has some nasty glitches.l
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
I DEFY you to tell me Don Figueroa is not the best TF artist out there.

I defy you!
Big multi-page battle scenes are a particular strength of his, which keep a lot of people happy but I don't find very interesting. Splash pages (and near splash pages, with one or two small panels overlaying a big focus image) should be earned by a story IMO. Modern comics throw them around like glitter.

Unfolded interestingly... can't help think Furman is being a bit spoiled by the page allocation of roughly two titles a month, and things would read better with the most recent two spotlights cut slightly and used as the secondary strip in ongoing issues, but I like where things are going.

Omega as a member of the pre-war hierarchy rather than just a large grunt is a nice repositioning.

Monstructor has an off switch in the middle of its chest? Hmm.
MegatronIDW
Protoform

Post by MegatronIDW »

A fairly quick read, but it offered some pretty good rewards for the reader. For example, more info on the "Noble" Prime legacy. As a Decepticon fan, I'm having a field day with this. First Sentinel Prime turns out to be a gun nut with zero leadership ability and now Nova Prime turns out to be a zealot who condemned the first Ark to its terrible fate, forced the Monstercons into a fate worse than death and is hinted as being part of the terrible evil at the heart of the mysterious Anomaly that Galvatron came from.
And speaking of the Monstercons it's nice to see Gestalt technology introduced. Really, the transformers race don't seem to have much luck when it comes to experimenting on themselves. (Although that's fairly realistic. I doubt any species would) And I loved the mention of a Jhiaxus. I'm guessing that's going to play into the next Transformers stroy arc.

I've got two theories right now: Theory 1: the Mysterious being at the heart of the anomaly IS Nova Prime. The power there is some kind of Dark Matrix or something (Fits into Galvatron's "Dark mirror to the Matrix" comments in his spotlight). When Galvatron and his crew were swallowed by its power, Nova prime and Jhiaxus took control of it, mastering its power and making Nova Prime some kind of god like force. Galvatron obviously survived through sheer force of will, and as Nova Prime apparently respected him, he chose him as his herald. Now he plans to remake the universe in his image, as he apprently wanted to during his time as Prime.

Theory 2: Basically the same, but this time tying into the Liege Maximo. Jhiaxus could of course just be a nod to G2 fans and Nova Prime may be filling in for the Maximo, but my second theory is either A: That he now IS the Liege Maximo or that the Maximo is what is inside the anomaly. I'm guessing that Jhiaxus will play a simmilar role to that in G2, although I could be wrong.

Still, looking back with this new knowledge, I see what COULD be a G2 reference in the Nigtbeat spotlight too. Not so much dialouge as an image...
chainy
Protoform

Post by chainy »

i thought the artwork was tight. the best i've seen so far. the artist definetly gets mad props . i luvd the storyline too. i thought it was real deep. i liked the whole, autobots' dark history, thing. i thought it was a nice twist. a lil'sumfing different. and i couldn't help but sympothize with these Monstructorcon peeps. i would of taken some vengence out on omega too. and this is what im loving about the storyline. totally fresh and different. a nice twist here n' there. and it was good to see the gesalt in play. but i culdnt help by wonder if the tech will fall into the hands of the decepticons dun dun dun dunn... i see a devastator in the mist
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

Didn't like it that much, the art was great but hey it's Don...

The story I like somewhat less, I'm not at all interested in G2 characters like Jihaux or what his name so some of it may come from that.

The most curious point though is Optimus suddenly telling Omega that he's no better than Monstructor and shouldn't play for God. From what part of Omega's dialog did Prime come to that conclusion??? Weird...

Dead End :"If we give away our energon cubes we're doomed.

Break Down :"If we don't we're doomed too.

Dead End :"Face it We're Doomed
Terome

Post by Terome »

The part where Omega Supreme admits to throwing a bunch of medical experiments in prison for what he hoped would have been the whole of their natural lives, and presumably didn't think of telling anyone.

It's a pretty mean thing to do.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Kinda disappointing. Six or so pages of exposition that advance the "Dead Universe" plot, only to be interrupted by a pointless, boring battle. Art's decent enough, though.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by MegatronIDW
First Sentinel Prime turns out to be a gun nut with zero leadership ability

Well, we've seen him on the target range once thus far and I don't think the useless leadership thing is intentional, it's just he's in a mostly useless comic (where "Huh" Megatron doesn't come off very well either).

As for the issue itself- I was initialy confused as i was expected there to be a big reveal as to what Omega was guarding in that asteroid only for it to turn out he's just hiding himself there as a last resort. So the Autobots keep their most powerful warrior all by himself away from everything. Well, it's consistant with the cartoon I suppose. Mind, he's not that bright, considering that unlike Prime he wants to kill them he never once thinks just to shoot them in the chest.

In terms of the wider story, all it really told us that was new was that Nova and Jhiaxus were on Ark1. Which surely could have been fitted easily into the Galvatron Spotlight easily enough?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

As for the issue itself- I was initialy confused as i was expected there to be a big reveal as to what Omega was guarding in that asteroid only for it to turn out he's just hiding himself there as a last resort.

There's one of those theories going around that Omega is just too big and old to be of any use in the fuel-strapped present. But, yeah, some hint of an actual reason would have been nice. Maybe later.

The thing that bugs me the most about Sentinel Prime is Megatron's assertion in Escalation that the Primes he knows about usually spout off quasi-mystical nonsense. Sentinel Prime doesn't really seem the type. Maybe Megatron's been reading the Dreamwave comics.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Terome

The thing that bugs me the most about Sentinel Prime is Megatron's assertion in Escalation that the Primes he knows about usually spout off quasi-mystical nonsense.

They've not really had a conversation yet though, so you never know.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yeah, I guess so. But this Sentinel Prime doesn't quite seem the type. But then, he IS as dumb as a sack of hammers, so I suppose it could fit.
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

Just picked this up today; a fun read, with awesome art, but none of the New Developments really intruiged me that much, though Omega Supreme not being quite so holy was a nice twist.

Optimus, as a character, leaves me kinda cold now. I suppose spotlights are for subplots as opposed to actually 'exploring' a certain character, but Op's been done to death anyway. Hearing him talk again about the 'burden of leadership' really grates, especially when it's done to the reader/in his head, as per usual. Seeing him get all aggressive and assertive in the Dev preview was refreshing, mind.

I really, really don't care for the Jhiaxus reference. Maybe it's just me, but it feels too much like an intrusive furman high-five! than anything. I mean, Monstructor came from Nova Prime's era - why not suggest another minor bot/con in Jhiaxus' place? I guess it's not THAT important, maybe just furman giving himself a hug for all the hard work he's done.

I give it 7 and a 1/2 Shockwaves out of 10. And half a Starscream.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

I really, really don't care for the Jhiaxus reference. Maybe it's just me, but it feels too much like an intrusive furman high-five! than anything. I mean, Monstructor came from Nova Prime's era - why not suggest another minor bot/con in Jhiaxus' place? I guess it's not THAT important, maybe just furman giving himself a hug for all the hard work he's done.
My sentiments exactly

Dead End :"If we give away our energon cubes we're doomed.

Break Down :"If we don't we're doomed too.

Dead End :"Face it We're Doomed
inflatable dalek

I don't mind as long as it's leading to a proper appearence by him and he looks roughly the same as he did (I wouldn't object to a new colour scheme though), else it might as well be something new...
Philister
Protoform

Post by Philister »

While the Spotlight did have its problems, I really liked the way it filled in the background.

That's a thing I like about IDW continuity in general so far: Not all Autobots (including the Primes) are shown to be all decent and friendly, while not all Decepticons are being shown as completely evil. Be it Razorclaw being hesitant about destroying Cybertron, be it Sixshot worried that he's losing touch, or several other small scenes.

I hope all this hint-dropping and fraying-out of plot threads ties neatly together again, though.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

WTF? I asked my comic book shop about it because I couldn't find it on the shelves, and they said it hasn't come out yet.