Whats IDW up to?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Grufflock

Whats IDW up to?

Post by Grufflock »

Now, I may have just missed some huge piece of news here, but whats going on at IDW? Is Furman getting the boot after Maximum Dinobots or something?

It seems to me, that the entire Furmanverse is getting a retcon into something a bit more.... I dunno...dreamwavish? Like Megatron: Origin? Cause thats the feel I'm getting from All Hail Megatron. And does anybody else have a hard time in feeling these two series fit into the same continuty as StormBringer? Or Spotlight Kup for that matter?

Thoughts?
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Grufflock wrote:Is Furman getting the boot after Maximum Dinobots or something?
He's writing The 13 next year, and I think also the TF2 prequel series.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

He's not so much being given the boot as moved sideways and kept in reserve in case the new direction goes arse over tit.
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

Whch, from the looks of things, it may well do.
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

The fact that IDW have pushed him to the side might be the kick in the pants he needs to get his stories going somewhere. I don't think the All Hail Megatron direction is going to last very long with all the fan disapproval, so when they go back to Furman he might give us some stories with proper endings.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno, if AHM doesn't haermorage [sp?] many sales across its' run (and I have a theory it won't - a lot of people will have made the decision ahead of #1) it will have done alright, if not been the improvement IDW were hoping for - they won't suddenly make Furman's figures look a lot better, and comic companies are stubborn. AHM would have to be a disaster to get the new direction canned. IDW won't give a **** about fan reaction if the money keeps rolling in.

And yeh, Blitzwing makes a great point about Furman. He's always worked best under some sort of constraint, be it the comic having a finite end in sight or having to work around someone else's stuff - the only reason the end of the Marvel G1 comic was such a mess is because Furman did a respectable job of bringing most things together for the 'last issue' with #75, only to be told it wasn't going to be cancelled, crack open a fresh bunch of plotlines, and then get told three months later actually he'd have to sort them all out pretty quickly, hence Grimlock being Autobot leader for about nine minutes. Impressively, Big Grim still managed to get all but about five Autobots brutally killed in that short time. Personally I think Op appointed him to guarantee himself a resurrection, knowing Grimlock would make such an arse of it God himself would get Prime back...

Erm, anyway.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:I dunno, if AHM doesn't haermorage [sp?] many sales across its' run (and I have a theory it won't - a lot of people will have made the decision ahead of #1) it will have done alright, if not been the improvement IDW were hoping for - they won't suddenly make Furman's figures look a lot better, and comic companies are stubborn. AHM would have to be a disaster to get the new direction canned. IDW won't give a **** about fan reaction if the money keeps rolling in.
Yep. Considering how long they stuck with the Furminationverse before deciding "uhm, maybe a fresh new approach will invigorate sales", it'd take something utterly drastic to get this dross canned quickly.
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

And now I've finally read some AHM.

Oh hell.

When did Pat Lee and "Brad Mick" start working for IDW?
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Time Lord
Protoform

Post by Time Lord »

Despite the overabundance of characters, the swapping between reprints and original strips and the poor taste of back-up tales (Untill Action Force came around occassionly: Full Force / Yo Joe!) tec, the Marvel UK run will for me be the definitive comic run (With the first volume of War Within a good second). The IDW stories aren't that bad but the problem is they've got a lot to live up to (Plus corporate management in control but you'd expect that).

That's my two cents, anyway. :)
-Mainframe-
Protoform

Post by -Mainframe- »

Grufflock wrote:Now, I may have just missed some huge piece of news here, but whats going on at IDW? Is Furman getting the boot after Maximum Dinobots or something?

It seems to me, that the entire Furmanverse is getting a retcon into something a bit more.... I dunno...dreamwavish? Like Megatron: Origin? Cause thats the feel I'm getting from All Hail Megatron. And does anybody else have a hard time in feeling these two series fit into the same continuty as StormBringer? Or Spotlight Kup for that matter?

Thoughts?
Maximum Dinobots sounds great. Hopefully, it will be.

IDW is going to change everything?
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

I do like IDW's books so far, but the only problem I have with them is that they seem to be moving so slow. The last three spotlights seem to me have been moving faster than the last two main titles. Hopefully, All Haile Meagtron will ok.