What did you LIKE about the cartoon?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

this will sound silly but.... i enjoyed jazz's transformation sequence..... well i do but thats not the main thing i like

i like the menagerie of different kinds of personalities, true alot of ur autobot and decep warriors were generic good and evil but there were some good shining stars... and yes voice acting heightens that, no one can do a more heroic optimus prime voice than culllen, true he isnt the best prime but hes g1 prime a 1 dimensional hero.
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
this will sound silly but.... i enjoyed jazz's transformation sequence..... well i do but thats not the main thing i like

Doesn't sound silly to me - I liked Jazz's transformation sequence, too - you know, with the little jump. :o

As for what (else) I like about the cartoon - I'd also say "the voice acting".
Originally posted by Sir Auros
The cartoon's fun to just sit around and watch when you're eating or have nothing better to do. It's mindless, nostalgic entertainment and I see it for that.

Yeah, that.

Plus, you can play "spot the animation errors" for hours of geeky fun"... :p
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
What about the fact that Megatron stated in Heavy Metal War that they were built in the caverns? Seems like you're ignoring a few facts yourself, as were the writers of that episode.

-Ss

Would it be safe to say that Megatron is talking out of his ass?
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Or maybe Megatron just wanted to hog all the glory (for having supposedly built the 'Structies)? Come on, he was a megalomanic evil leader, I wouldn't put it past him to bend the truth a bit...
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Would it be safe to say that Megatron is talking out of his ass?

If you want to take that viewpoint, sure it's an acceptable explanation. I'd rather believe that Omega Supreme was wrong. Maybe the robo smasher scrambled a few of his circuits.

-Ss
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Maybe the Constructicons were transported to Earth without bodies (ala Combaticons in 'Starscream's Brigade'), and their new bodies were built on Earth. The fact is, barring that one statement, all evidence points to them having been around on Cybertron.

-Omega Supreme's flashback (of course)
-'The Master Builders', when they were telling Grapple and Hoist about how much they enjoyed their designs back on Cybertron.
-Long Haul's comment about 'I didn't join this outfit to be a dump truck'.
Predaking30
Protoform

Post by Predaking30 »

I also like the back story of the Constructicons as told in TSOOS, rather than in S1... It gives them more of a history, and, IMHO at least, makes them a little more interesting than their introduction in S1, where it felt more convenient than anything to have these six construction vehicles show up when they were needed. As usual, this is all IMHO. YMMV.
Predaking30
Destroy first, ask questions later
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

Carnage in C Minor
OldSchool80sKid
Protoform

Post by OldSchool80sKid »

I was initially drawn to the Transformers cartoon in my childhood because of how much different it was to anything I had watched to the point. I remember all I had to watch on the local channels prior to that time was Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, The Smurfs, and many others. Although they were all great in their own right they didn't mesmerize the way Transformers first did in my youth. I remember thinking how awesome they were because they were robots that were alive and disguised among us. The toys being the hook, line, and sinker for me to become an obsessed child feverishly running home every afternoon to watch the next episde on tv. Although, I can see how corny most of the episodes our today, I can still feel that allure that drew me to them 20 years ago.
"You know what? You can take all these Beast Machines, Beast Wars, and all the rest of them and shove them up your tailpipe. Optimus Prime is not a damn dirty ape and Megatron, Soundwave and Starscream are not "Destrongers" or "Predacons" they are DECEPTICONS and may any who say otherwise burn in the fiery pits beneath Cybertron where wicked Transformers are melted down into slag."
My Collection
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

What do I like about the cartoon some of the subtext in some epsoids like "The Quintesson Jouneral" and "The God Gambit"

In "The God Gambit" the idea of those that don't believe vs those
that do believe in God(s) and how faith can be used as a weapon
that's some pretty powerful stuff for a cartoon.

"The Quintesson Jouneral"-deals with with arms dealers (The Qunits) substaining a war between two alien races in a middle east/cold war kind of confict for money and how these two races almost destroy each other so the Quints can rich.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

If you want to take that viewpoint, sure it's an acceptable explanation. I'd rather believe that Omega Supreme was wrong. Maybe the robo smasher scrambled a few of his circuits.

-Ss

Also we see the Constructicons building Megatron! in Five Faces of Darkness! Could it be that Megatron was simply refering to their "terrestial" vehicle modes that he built in the cave?
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Plus, you can play "spot the animation errors" for hours of geeky fun"... that makes up about half of the fun i get out of the dvd's. when i was a kid i didn't see the mistakes and took the show as it was, now i get to watch as skyfire's decepticon symbol is never purple and double your primes, double your fun. the cartoon was so bad in retrospect, yet i can't help but love almost every episode. kremzeek was by far the silliest as an alien life is wrecking the planet and out of no where bumblebee says it is so darn cute. to paraphrase megatron - bumblebee, you fool. then the robots go running after it like the cookie cop. or anytime the autobots play sports, too funny. teletran one always makes me smile because it states every obvious fact as if it was it's last. the episode when red alert goes crazy is actually one of the best, showing that autobots aren't infalible. at the end of season two, though, they seemed to forget the rest of the transformers in favor of new combiners that looked little like the toys they represented. except for that lovable little creep swindle, the combaticons and stunticons were almost mindless and devoid of personality.
Come on and wind me up.
gazometer_96
Protoform

Post by gazometer_96 »

except for that lovable little creep swindle[/B]

swindle should have been involved more;)

is there any dreamwave images of swindle:confused:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

What about the fact that Megatron stated in Heavy Metal War that they were built in the caverns? Seems like you're ignoring a few facts yourself, as were the writers of that episode.
Do we take the word of characters for things, then?

Not that there's any reason they couldn't have been built in caverns... they're robots. They can change bodies like outfits if they want.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Originally posted by Denyer
Do we take the word of characters for things, then?

Not that there's any reason they couldn't have been built in caverns... they're robots. They can change bodies like outfits if they want.

Why not?

But yeah, I guess their earthly forms could have been built on Earth and their personalities transferred. But there's a lot of problems with that, just like all the other theories. I prefer to believe that Omega Supreme was a big fat liar. ;)
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Why not?

But yeah, I guess their earthly forms could have been built on Earth and their personalities transferred. But there's a lot of problems with that, just like all the other theories. I prefer to believe that Omega Supreme was a big fat liar. ;)

And so were the spirits of the ancient Autobot Commanders who showed the creation of Megatron to Rodimus?
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

"misrepresenting personal story, unnessesary" - omega supreme
Come on and wind me up.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

When I was a kid I never really liked the cartoon, but watching it now on DVD i'm really enjoying it, but weather that has more to do with the quality of the cartoon or my failing mental abilities i'm not sure...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
cocorubs
Protoform

Here is mine

Post by cocorubs »

I love the fact that it has a touch of humor, the transformers picked up a lot of the earth quotes. I like the good vs. evil thing. I love the style those cartoons were back in the 80's.

Doesn't Gi-Joe, Tranformers, He-Man, and She-Ra all remind you of each other? They all have the same style. I don't know what that style is, but now-a-days, the style is a lot of japanese characters. I never liked that today. The style today is a lot of weird things with computers and all of that. I love the way the cartoons looked back then. The way the actors performed and the feel of the cartoon. Even though it's a cartoon, I feel like the Transformers are out there in the world today, somewhere, they are in this universe.

I really, really, really, wish He-Man and She-Ra would be released on DVD, and I am talking about the 80's He-Man, not the He-Man of 2000. it had the same humor as transformers did. It was action, action, and humor. The style was awesome back then, too.

If anyone knows any information on Heman being released on DVD, let me know! Would Rhino be the ones to do that? Or another company?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

2 He-Man DVD's have been released in the UK so far with the first 12 episodes. There are even two comentaries on each disc (by fans i hasten to add, but still very informative). If your based in America, Amazon UK should deliver, though if it follows the Transformers pattern box sets will follow at some point. We;ve also got Visionaries and Dungeons And Dragons out about now (sometimes it's good to be British:cool: )
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!