Sir Auros

War Within: Dark Ages #1

Post by Sir Auros »

Not a damn thing happened.

Discuss.
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

I'll say dis... A. That crazy nutjob that came through the portal is outright freaky lookin... and with all his seeming mastery of enery... yeowza...

and B. Who caught the nod to the old cartoon, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors???
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Luke, I'll get back to ya when my copy arrives.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Is it THAT bad?

I was going to hold out till the TPB. Now I might not get that.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

I don't know it was ok. I think they are going for some mythological, mysticism angle. Eh Starscream was fun.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I wouldn't say it's bad because it shows a lot of promise (the art's certainly a departure from the DW norm with the coloring), but nothing really happened in the first issue. It'll probably be all well and good when it's taken as part of a larger series, but when DW typically waits a month and a half between releases, their min-series style of pacing is really cra.ptacular on an issue to issue basis. At least War and Peace jumped right in to a storyline, this issue's nothing but build-up.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

I would agree, not much happened in this issue. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't real good either. But I never judge a series until at least the midway point. This issue I think just tries to set things up.

Furman has a problem with the way he fews Transformers. I like to view them as mechanical beings with artificial intelligence. Furmans sees them as human beings trapped in giant robot bodies. Mysticism, religion, etc. should be limited in a story about robots in disguise. And after War and Peace, I have come to find Furmans dialogue somewhat lacking and downright annoying at times with his incessant "oh yes"s and "eh?"s.

Furman needs to back off the human element a bit and take a few pages from the writing of Bob Budiansky (pre-Car Wash of Doom era) and Brad Mick. We're talking about robots here. I want to see a story involving weapons slicing through cold, hard steel revealing intricate internal circuitry requiring initiation of automated repair programs, not Bludgeon on his knees worshipping green glowing insects in a giant crystal ball.

I think things will pick up. Jetfire alone, the way he looks, is worth the price of admission in and of itself.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I prefer the viewpoint that Transformers are sentient, living beings rather than just robots with AI...
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Yeah, well I bought WW2 #1 and War and Peace #6 on the same day. I finished WW2 #1 twice as fast as W&P #6. Anyone else find it extremely short? BTW, the fallen looks bad ass!
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

i thought it was an alright issue, it was merely a scene setter. i like that furman views them as sentient beings rather than robots that can speak and move. i tell you what i love wildmans art in this....... BUT!! the fact that they had 3 different colouring styles in this issue really let it down.

B (would be an A if theyd stuck with one colourist)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

In this issue, Furman pulls a Dubya. Under the hologram memorial of Prime, it says "In Memorandum."
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Originally posted by God Jinrai
I'll say dis... A. That crazy nutjob that came through the portal is outright freaky lookin... and with all his seeming mastery of enery... yeowza...

Looks a little like Great Mazinger, to me ;)
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Originally posted by God Jinrai

and B. Who caught the nod to the old cartoon, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors???

"Lightning Strike Coalition" ;)
spiderfrommars
Protoform

Post by spiderfrommars »

I actually also prefer the TFs with human characteristics. I have no qualms with Furman's views there. THere is also nothing he can learn from Budiansky and Mick IMO. G1 Vol 2 issue 6 was how NOT to write a TF comic in my view.

I enjoyed WW Vol 2 issue 1. I'm glad to see Wildman back, his TFs have an intensity missing from other DW artists works. This issue is just a scene setter, but I enjoyed the skirmish between Starscream and Grimlocks's soldiers, the mysterious debut of the Fallen, and the fact that Prime and Megs are out of it for awhile.

War Within has been great for Dreamwave. They've actually given their G1 series a big backstory which makes me take them a lot more seriously.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Actually, a heck of a lot happened this issue, in terms of plot. I reckon at least part of the reason the issue feels light at 22 pages is because there are so many damn adverts to distract.

Let's take a run-down:

—Prime and Megatron are taken out of the picture.
—The Fallen arrives.
—Kup reasons how important a wider perspective is, and Grimlock, ever the practically-minded one, reminds him that the Energon crisis is of more current importance.
—We learn the 'Cons and 'Bots have splintered without leadership, and that Trypticon is being built.
—Bludgeon, Mindwipe & Bugly are co-opted by the Fallen.
—The action of the issue is a fight in which the LSC (which I think is a neat name, especially as an acronym) acquire double-steal a load of Energon from Starscream (wonder what purpose they'll put it to?) Incidentally, the ink lines on the LSC frame are a little thick, but they look great.
—We get some very ominous stuff from the Fallen, and first glimpse of a secret chamber hidden beyond a holowall. Intriguing.

Anyone else notice that the Fallen looks a little like an evil Prime? And the look on Starscream's face when he's wailing "NOOO!" makes you feel a bit sorry for him... of course, it isn't his energon, and he's a murderer many times over, but... eh...

Having read it a few times, I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Blitzwing 2
Protoform

Post by Blitzwing 2 »

Originally posted by Denyer
—We learn the 'Cons and 'Bots have splintered without leadership, and that Trypticon is being built.

But hasn't Trypticon already been built? In Volume 1 #2 or #3 when Megatron is talking to either Soundwave or Starscream you can see a screen that has Trypticon and it looks like he's fighting.

Btw, Picked up WWI Paperback a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Looking foward to Volume 2.
"Your brush with greatness is over!"

JAWS vs. Chucky
This could be great: Chucky is a stowaway on some kids' boat and he tries to kill them. They jump overboard and JAWS eats them before Chucky can get 'em. Chucky swears "smile you son of a bitch" and dives into the water for one final showdown
A quote that I stole from someone from somewhere else
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Trypticon is being built.

Um...doesn't this kinda contradict Volume 1, Number 2, in which we see Trypticon attacking something?
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
I prefer the viewpoint that Transformers are sentient, living beings rather than just robots with AI...

Me too, actually.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I don't think that viewscreen is Trypty—we don't even know if the various viewscreens we see throughout are news or simulations, but anyway, I'd say that could be a Terrorcon. Basically, if we don't see 'live action', it doesn't count.

We don't actually know it's Trypticon from TWW:DA #1, but I'm quite certain a press release mentioned him.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

We don't actually know it's Trypticon from TWW: DA #1, but I'm quite certain a press release mentioned him.

You mean this?
Originally posted on Dreamwaveprod.ca about TWW: DA #3.
The civil war on CYBERTRON heats up, as the DECEPTICONS unveil the BIGGEST, baddest secret weapon of all — TRYPTICON. And AUTOBOT scientist JETFIRE finds his past catching up with him in a BIG way. Distrusted by the AUTOBOTS, hated by the DECEPTICONS, JETFIRE has nowhere to turn when he uncovers the dark machinations of The Fallen. Nowhere, that is, except to his greatest enemy — Shockwave. By Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman!