Desperate need of help for gift!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Nooblooking4bfgifts
Protoform

Desperate need of help for gift!

Post by Nooblooking4bfgifts »

Hi! I’m trying to buy a gift for my boyfriend and looked on eBay but I think I need better info on what I’m buying. The buzzwords I used didn’t really work. he mentioned in a conversation with someone else about wanting the 3rd City Former for his collection. I couldn’t ask questions. Does anyone know how I would search for this? I found a Wiki page on Titans. And I believe I just learned that Tripticon and the Titan Class Metroplex are two of the city formers?? Which were already on my list. But I’m now confused on what the 3rd one would be. Am I on the right path?? Help please!!
Denyer

Re: Desperate need of help for gift!

Post by Denyer »

Probably. In terms of main line releases, cities are some of the Titan size class releases.

Metroplex (2013)
Fortress Maximus (2016)
Trypticon (2017) -- probably this one
Omega Supreme (2019) -- most wouldn't count as a city + released after Trypticon anyway
Scorponok (2020)

See if you can ask the someone if it's a big dinosaur to double check?

edit: The originals in the 80s weren't in a specific order but usually paired Metroplex/Trypticon and Fortress Maximus/Scorponok, but Fortress Maximus didn't get released in a lot of countries because it was huge, about the same size as the new one.

edit: If you're looking at Trypticon listings on eBay/Amazon/etc be aware that the much smaller original toy has also been reissued in a "Platinum edition" and tends to sell for the same sort of price.
Nooblooking4bfgifts
Protoform

Post by Nooblooking4bfgifts »

Already I feel like this was super helpful to get more of an understanding!
So at the time I didn’t realize they were in the same “category” but I had Titan Class Metroplex and Trypticon already on my list for him. From you and the wiki page, I am now under the impression that those were the two formers of the 3 he wanted...? If that makes sense. But you obviously listed more than 3. I just bought a Trypticon from EBay. Still debating on getting the Metroplex this time around or not. So it seems now I just gotta figure out if it’s the Scorponok or the Fortress Maximus that he views as the “3rd City Former”... right?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Trypticon is probably the third he's referring to, going by the release order of the modern Titan ones.

If he hasn't already got Metroplex, that's the one that usually goes with Trypticon --

Scorponok has recently been released so will be available for a while. Prices for Fortress Maximus (and Metroplex) may be higher due to how long they've been off store shelves, and also due to fact that there were versions sold in Japan and at comic conventions that have some different paint/parts and are rarer. Depending on what sort of collector he is -- i.e. does he usually buy from local big stores, or import things -- it might be worth talking to his friends before getting a Metroplex or Fortress Maximus.

Omega Supreme is more of a rocket base than a city. There are four Transformers that are often called citybots or cityformers -- Metroplex, Trypticon, Fortress Maximum and Scorponok.

(To be completely accurate there are also old, rare versions of the original city toys in different colours/variations as different characters -- Metrotitan, Gigastorm, Brave Maximus and Black Zarak. But most people wouldn't think of those).
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

How often do you get a chance to see his collection? Look around to see what city formers he has, and make sure you're getting him a different one. They're almost toddler sized, so it's not like they'd be hard to spot. Just look for the biggest toys he has. Not knowing if he keeps them in city or robot mode, you're probably best off going by color:
Metroplex - mostly white, with a black chest piece/ramp
Fortress Maximus - blue and grey with a white tower and red trim
Trypticon - grey with purple and teal trim, has a t-rex mode
Omega Supreme - mostly grey with curved white pieces, yellow trim, and an orange claw/rocket rear
Scorponok - purple and green, has a scorpion mode
JasonFrazier
Protoform

Post by JasonFrazier »

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble finding a gift for your boyfriend. Shopping for gifts can be difficult, and I know it can be frustrating when the search results don't turn out what you hoped for. Have you tried giftsandclothes.com? They have a great selection of unique, personalized gifts that your boyfriend is sure to love. From what I can tell, they even have Transformers-related gifts. Good luck with your search!