Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Re: Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Post by Tantrum »

LEGO 10300 Back to the Future Time Machine - Found at Barnes & Noble for $200. It's been out of stock the last few times I've been to the LEGO store, so I was happy to see it.

Given the original list price of $170, I thought B&N had jacked the price up a bit. But, I just checked LEGO.com and $200 is the price listed there, as well. B&N got LEGO Optimus in at $180, matching the current LEGO.com price, but $10 more than I paid.

I'd assumed that each wheel would fold down on its own for the BttF II flying mode. Instead, there's a pretty intricate mechanism with a single lever under the car that you pull to flip all 4 wheels together.

I've only got two minor issues. First, the door hinges are too weak to hold the doors open. I might be able to fix that by swapping the original LEGO Technic pegs for another brand that's slightly thicker.

Second, the alternate wheels for the BttF III configuration are intended to have the tires attached, from the short scene where 1955 Doc talks to Marty about thinking 4th dimensionally, instead of being bare for use on railroad tracks from the climax of the film. You can put the alternate wheels on without tires, but then there's not enough clearance, and the car scrapes against the ground. Maybe if it were on rails, that wouldn't be a problem?

I'm planning to keep mine in mostly the BttF II configuration, but with the original OUTATIME license plate instead of the bar code one. I'll probably build a rack to keep all the other pieces together with the stand.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 76203 Iron Man Mech Armor & 76208 The Goat Boat - Both bought at K-Mart, last one of the Goat Boat set.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Dragon Stars Saiyan Saga Vegeta - From EB Games.

LEGO Jurassic World 76946 Blue & Beta Velociraptor Capture & 76947 Quetzalcoatlus Plane Ambush - 20% off at Big W.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

LEGO Star Wars 75320 Snowtrooper Battle Pack - Bought from Big W while on discount.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Mega Construx MotU Battle Ram - I'm not that into He-Man in general, but I am into Tri-Klops, and now I have a little minifig to go with my regular and vinyl figures.

LEGO Brick Heads 40559 Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote - The Block Heads seem to be worse proportioned version of Kubricks. This is the first set I've found where the heads look well proportioned. They're not in proportion to the rest of their bodies, but their out of proportion in a way that looks good. It helps that RR's head is narrower than most.

LEGO Creator 40517 Vespa - Unlike most Creator sets, this only includes pics and instructions for one build. That's fine. I don't remember the last time I was excited for an alternate build. I'd considered the large Ideas Vespa, but it was a lot of money and space for a design I was only somewhat interested in. This 118 piece set should do nicely. The large set if light blue. This one is red. I wonder if they'll ever do a yellow Vespa for FLCL fans.
Shebakoby
Protoform
Custom Title: From the Before Times

Post by Shebakoby »

I lucked out and got me a brand new (Kenner - Hasbro) Ecto-1 at Winners (Canada) for like 25 bucks. It doesn't come with any figures but that's OK as I already have some old Ghostbusters that I got in a big box of auctioned toys (including a bunch of Transformers lol).
Beware of Troy McClure!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Star Wars 75334 Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader, Lego Harry Potter 76400 Hogwarts Carriage and Thestrals, Lego Harry Potter 76401 Hogwarts Courtyard: Sirius’s Rescue - From Big W.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

LEGO Star Wars 75336 Inquisitor Transport Scythe Marvel Legends 60th Anniversary Amazing Fantasy Spider-Man and Marvel Legends Retro Spider-Man 60th Anniversary Marvel's The Lizard - Bought from Big W during 20% off sale.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Dragon Stars Super Saiyan Future Trunks VS Fusion Zamasu 2-Pack, Power Rangers Lightning Collection Zeo Red Ranger and Zeo Cog - Bought from Popcultcha, the Zeo Red Ranger is a double so that I have a complete Zeo team and a extra for the Tommy Oliver/Drakkon display, the Cog figure weirdly comes with Zeo Blues tonfa weapons.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Power Rangers Lightning Collection Zeo Yellow Ranger & PR X Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Morphed Shredder, Marvel Legends Renew Your Vows Spider-Man & Spinneret 2-Pack and Silk & Doc Ock 2-Pack - From JMart.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Lego 90th Anniversary 10497 Galaxy Explorer
I really, really would like the Castle set Lego put out this year. But I don't have £350 to spend on a Lego set and it's annoying that Lego seem to equate Adult Fan Of Lego = has hundreds (or thousands, given some of the eye-watering sums recent 'adult collectables' from Lego have been) to spend on stuff they don't need. This set, which is much more modestly priced, feels much more of a celebration of a retired theme than a £350 enormo set. It also feels like a consolation prize, which isn't a great feeling either. But I do have a huge soft spot for Lego's old Space theme and this is a lively and fun set.

Aside from the craft itself, you get four cheery spacemen two red, two white and they are great. They also come with a little robot helper which is a nice build. I like that he comes with two space mugs so everyone can have space coffee.

The craft is nice. I have to be honest, I'm much more into mid - late '80s Space (Futron, Blacktron and Space Police), as the blue, grey and translucent yellow of these early Space sets on which this is based are kind of ugly. However, the shape and construction is very nice. Unlike the similarly retro themed Benny's Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship! from 2014, this is a much more sturdy build. A bunch of the old brick-based technic beams make up the skeleton, and from there, its just covering things up with a variety of grey plates before adding in the blue of the upper body of the ship. It's not a particularly challenging build, but I like that. Not everything has to have clever-clever brick building techniques to look awesome. There are a couple of advanced techniques in how the sloped shape is built up and with how the hinges for the twin cockpits is assembled, plus the two white arrows at the back.

The overall look is a very modern take on a retro styled spaceship. I never thought the original Galaxy Explorer was that amazing (i much preferred later efforts like Cosmic Fleet Voyager 6985 and Galaxy Commander 6980) but this goes a long way to make me understand why such a lot of folk hail this as a proper legendary set. The front cockpit has seating for all four astronauts and theres's lots of nice printed panels reminiscent of the old sloped brick terminals. Nice. Under the rear cockpit are two space beds for a nice lie down which are neat (there's even space for the airtanks so the figures can just be laid down as is), plus some more control panels. The inclusion of a bulk head door through to the rear of the craft is a very nice touch and in this section you'll find a small buggy stored away. I love this. I love the use of red hubs to replicate the look of the old 1980s axelled wheels. Nice. A neat feature of the set is that splitting apart the rear sections and pulling down the ramp (nice touch) causes the buggy to roll out, which is great fun (but not as much fun as launching Roller). Ooh! I forgot to mention this also has landing skids that retract into the body of the thing. And it has some landing thrusters! Brilliant.

I've been really impressed with the set. It's great to look at, has some nice play features and I love seeing these cheery old astronaut figures again. Most importantly, it commands you to play with it, and isn't going to be left as some giant ornament. I'm swooshing it about now making spacey noises!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Star Wars Black Series Halloween Edition Clone Trooper.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:44 pmI really, really would like the Castle set Lego put out this year. But I don't have £350 to spend on a Lego set and it's annoying that Lego seem to equate Adult Fan Of Lego = has hundreds (or thousands, given some of the eye-watering sums recent 'adult collectables' from Lego have been) to spend on stuff they don't need.
Maybe it's the product photos but it doesn't feel as big as it probably is. I mean, I know that the parts to make this were about fifty a few years ago, and it's not particularly large, but 10305 doesn't feel much bigger than the sum of the tub of Castle parts I've got on a shelf. I suppose this is following the trend for lots of small pieces rather than prefab sections, but still...

Interestingly someone's eBaying a set minus the animals/minifigs for a hundred less. Which seems a) much more reasonable, and the design of the castle is one that displays nicely without the cartoony extras, and b) minifig collectors are apparently a bit crazy.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Marvel Legends Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Black Panther (Female) - Found this, I think, before any official announcement of the figure at my local Big W.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Denyer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:18 am
Skyquake87 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:44 pmI really, really would like the Castle set Lego put out this year. But I don't have £350 to spend on a Lego set and it's annoying that Lego seem to equate Adult Fan Of Lego = has hundreds (or thousands, given some of the eye-watering sums recent 'adult collectables' from Lego have been) to spend on stuff they don't need.
Maybe it's the product photos but it doesn't feel as big as it probably is. I mean, I know that the parts to make this were about fifty a few years ago, and it's not particularly large, but 10305 doesn't feel much bigger than the sum of the tub of Castle parts I've got on a shelf. I suppose this is following the trend for lots of small pieces rather than prefab sections, but still...

Interestingly someone's eBaying a set minus the animals/minifigs for a hundred less. Which seems a) much more reasonable, and the design of the castle is one that displays nicely without the cartoony extras, and b) minifig collectors are apparently a bit crazy.
I think that's certainly part of it. I have the Spider-Man Daily Bugle set, and I can see where all the money's gone on that, and it feels impressive. This just feels like a more polished version of the Creator Castle set and really, all it's got over that is a greater number/ selection of minifigures.

Minifigure collectors are a bit nuts. Ever since the Collectable Minifigure Series launched in 2010, people have gone nuts for them. It's also in part responsible for the parting out of minifigures from sets as everyone realises how much mentalists are prepared to pay on the aftermarket for the figures alone.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Marvel Legends Retro Spider-Man Bombastic Bag-Man, Power Ranger X TMNT Morphed Raphael and Foot Soldier Tommy, Morphed Michelangelo and Morphed April O’Neil, Morphed Donatello and Morphed Leonardo - Acquired with help from a mate who uses freight-forwarding services.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

LEGO Star Wars 75333 Obi-Wan Kenobi’s Jedi Starfighter & Marvel Super Heroes 76202 Wolverine Mech Armour - From Big W.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Marvel Legends Japanese (Tokusatsu) Spider-Man, Iron Man Model 70 (Controller BAF), Iron Man 2020, Retro War Machine, Deluxe War Machine - Mostly bought from JB Hi-Fi during Black Friday Sales.
Last edited by HeavyArms on Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Dragon Stars Gotenks, Power Rangers Lightning Collection Lost Galaxy Red Ranger & Lost Galaxy Blue Ranger.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

LEGO Harry Potter 76402 Hogwarts: Dumbledore’s Office, 76403 Harry Potter The Ministry of Magic & Star Wars 75323 The Justifier - Bought from Big W.