POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Clay »

ganon578 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:02 pm June 2021 was the last time I posted in this forum section. Glad to see it's still alive and doing well! :wave: I've been on a major drift away from the fandom, though I do enjoy seeing other's posts about new stuff. My heart really hasn't been into collecting for various reasons - I still like Transformers, just not as much as before.
I did a thing related to that. Have a read!

As for me, I found an "origin Bumblebee" at a target while I was on my trip. He's a little UFO-style Bumblebee based on the first episode of the cartoon pilot. Way to strike while that iron's hot, Hasbro!

He's also... little. He's priced as a deluxe, but hmm. I actually don't mind this terribly much as he was a trip souvenir, but I would like it more if they'd lean into the short stature and give the small figures the ability to look up. Bee can turn his head about 30* or less, which isn't enough for how short he is!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Kingdom Pipes - Bought by a friend internationally with a bunch of other stuff.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I ordered Vintage BW Scorponok from Walmart.ca on the weekend and it arrived super quick. I owned the original as a kid, and manged to break ALL the gimmicks even though in was the next-to-last toy I got as a child. It's been a while since I've handled the remains of that toy, but I want to say that the claws are made of sturdier materials this time around. Could just be my memory exaggerating how soft and breakable the original felt, though.

I'd forgotten how much fun the spring-loaded tail and Cyberbee were! And just how cool the battle mask was, as well. I remembered just how much of a hair trigger nuisance the missile launcher claw is, though. All in all, it's a better toy than I remember it being. I'm glad they reissued it so that I could get my hands on a complete figure for less than what the originals usually go for on eBay.

I don't think the colours will ever stop looking weird, though. I knew they'd replaced the original's black with smokey grey but the pics I'd seen do not do the change justice at all -- this figure is super distinct from the old one. It was a stab at show accuracy, but the vintage mold is such an athletic, imposing badass that it's going to look like a different person entirely no matter what colours you give it. On the one hand, I probably would have preferred a straight reissue if given the choice, because nostalgia. But on the other, I LOVE weird-coloured redecos of BW toys, so Smokeponok here is right up my alley.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Legacy Core Class Iguanas and apart from wanting slightly better quality control on the hip ball joints and apparent lack of a kickstand, although the accessory could probably be modified into one to help with balance, I'm fairly impressed by the homage. It's a rip off, but nice homage. Downside is I want to get the original shell to go with it now...
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Kingdom Slammer - I hot two Targets and a Walmart Sunday while on my way somewhere, and this was the only new TF I found that I wanted. I also saw Legacy Arcee, but wasn't impressed. Slammer's pretty nice. His only flaws are that none of his wheels really roll, and some of the 5-mm ports aren't as snug as I'd like.

The Weaponizer/Fossilizer parts are better than most. The torso actually integrates into the backpack pretty well, while in the others I own, it's hard to make the torso look good as a weapon part. The treads form a chainsaw weapon, which looks especially good in a bot who can replace his hand with a 5-mm hole, like Cyclonus or Impactor. Usually, the instructions give a few different examples of how to weaponize the parts, but here, there's only one.

The bot waist is a bit narrow for an otherwise boxy, bulky fellow, but it has to be to fold away for transformation. He's packaged with the treads on the backpack, but can wield his chainsaw weapon himself. The tank doesn't roll, and the turret bits can detach when raising it, but it looks good.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Siege Galaxy Upgrade Optimus Prime
I've been after one of these for a while, having missed the boat. Cheapest way I found to get one was in a lot with a bunch of other Optimus toys (including the original Cybertron toy - the seller was very unimpressed with the Siege version). Fire Trucks really suit Optimus; both the RiD and Cybertron lines gave us two of the very best Optimus Prime toys ever, and it's nice to see Siege homage the Cybertron version with a cheeky retool and recolour of the Siege Ultra Magnus mould. It works much better than expected too! The base Optimus toy is as portly as white Magnus and I'm still a bit mystified why the cab robot is such as mess; it surely would have been possible to engineer this to the arms tuck away and don't flail around the back in vehicle mode. Speaking of vehicle mode, this actually works a lot better than both versions of Ultra Magnus and Earthrise trailered Optimus. The big help is that the 'trailer' guff here just makes up the rest of the alt mode, so it doesn't look like a comically undersized load of rubbish. The big powered up robot mode is great and I love it. It's a bit like the T.H.S. version expect less fiddly. Downsides are the hollow cannons and the flimsy feeling grey plastics.

Universe Leo Prime
From the same lot as SGU Optimus, is Leo Prime. I was all set to sell this on as I did the other Optimus figures in the lot, but ended up keeping him. The Cybertron Leobreaker mould this is based on isn't the greatest, but the beast mode looks excellent. The robot mode is the figure's weakest area, he's got big gaps in his legs and his arms are pretty much pinned to his sides. The headsculpt isn't the best Optimus one either, it's very thin and the face plate looks more like a face mask. The Cyber Planet key pop out claws are great fun and I like the figure inspite of it's many, many flaws. Transformation is basic and pretty weak and the figure can turn into an arm, but it looks silly.

Quickswitch
I've been after an original Quickswitch since having the Titans Return one a few years back. A straight repaint of TR Sixshot didn't work for me, so I've been idly looking for one over the years. He's an incredibly dorky looking figure; all blocks and chunks, but there's something charming about him. He's just as much fun as the original Sixshot to switch between modes (I love the fatty puma, which looks like it's jumped through a pile of cardboard boxes whilst fleeing the zoo) and the colours are nice. Do wonder if he was supposed to be a Headmaster too though, given how square his head is and the space there is for a stat meter...

Fizzle, Sizzle and Guzzle
I already own Fizzle and Guzzle, but Sizzle was proving elusive, so I picked up a set of all three of the Sparkabots ...and they all have working flints! Hooray! These three aren't the greatest Transformers out there, but I love them. They're nice sculpted and they're more fun than your average Mini-bot. Sizzle is pretty banging - his vehicle mode is cool and I like his robot mode and the mohawk like fin he has. Great stuff.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Rattrap and Dinobot stood looking at the car sitting before them.

Rattrap cocked an eyebrow. "So lemme get this straight. Ya got th' Classics version."

Yeah.

"Ya got th' original version. Twice"

The first time was as a birthday present, but yes.

"Ya got th' Reveal th' Shield version."

Twice, technically. The Classics version was given to me as a Christmas gift by a friend of mine, but he wasn't able to find another one in stores, so when that one came out, I got it for him.

"Un huh. Ya got th' Masterpiece version."

The GOOD Masterpiece version.

"If it's so slaggin' good, how come th' spoiler broke off?"

Cat.

"Figgers. Then ya got th' Titans Return version. An' then the Japanese Titans Return version."

What can I say? I liked the colors on the Japanese version better.

"Then ya got th' Studio Series version."

Yeah.

"An' now ya got this one."

"BY THE PIT, VERMIN, WHAT IS YOUR POINT?!?!?!?"

Rattrap shrugged. "Just wonderin' how many Hot Rods he needs, is all...."

Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Class Hot Rod: For all it's oddity, I kind of like it. I think I like it more for the actual design concept than what they did with it, to be brutally honest.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Suddenly I don't feel quite so bad for owning seven and a quarter different Hot Rods and Rodimuses!

(The six Cheetors are maybe a bit much, though.)

I'm going to do my best to not buy Core Hot Rod...which probably means I'll have one within the month. :(
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I had to order mine off of Amazon. I think the main reason I haven't gotten the Commander Class Roddy is I don't have anywhere to put it.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

“So…. What is it?”

“I believe they call it….. art.”

Rattrap and Dinobot stared at the black container, the retroish 80s look showing what looked…. like….

“Don’t that kinda look like-“

The container started to make noise, making what sounded like muffled cries for help.

“What th’ slag-“

“What?”

Rattrap looked over at Dinobot. “You say somethin’, Choppaface?”

Dinobot glared down at Rattrap. “No.”

Rattrap shook his head. “Great. My audio receptas must be goin’ t’slag-“

“WHAT?”

Rattrap looked around, then back up at Dinobot. “Kinda sounds like you talkin’, Choppaface.”

Dinobot hissed. “I can assure you, Vermin. It is not me.”

“Then who th’ slag-“

“WHAT?!?!?!?!?”

“Ya know, I don’t gotta stand around an’ take this!” Rattrap spun on his heel and stalked away.

When Rattrap was out of sight, Dinobot turned to the black container. “Thank you.”

Slag popped up from behind the container, smirking. “No problem. Dinobot gotta stick together.”

From the container came a small voice. ”LET ME OOOOUUUUUUTTTTTTT!!!”

Transformers Generations Select Legacy DK2 Guard: While I was able to get the Amazon exclusive Ironhide/Prowl 2 pack, I’ve always wanted to have an example of the original Diaclone figure for Ironhide, even before the Bay movies. And then I saw the prices and decided that if even a knackered version was going to cost an arm and a leg, it wasn’t something I needed. Then Hasbro made this version for their Selects line. It looks cool. What I’m not sure is if I actually going to take him out of the packaging. That being said, since they used the fiber thread/rope/whatever, I am kind of worried about the paint getting scratched.

And when I hit Walmart today, I got a surprise.

Transformers Studio Series ‘86 The Transformers The Movie Slag: I know, I know, they changed his name to Slug, but that’s not his name in the movie. Or the show. Or the comics. I like him, but…. There’s two problems. One, he’s not supposed to be as tall as Grimlock. That’s a nitpick, but there you go. And Two, once again I’ve got a Studio Series figure that fights me while I transform it. I did leave Daniel in the box, though.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Generations Selects Lift-Ticket from EB Games.

Wheeljack (Bumblebee) & Ratchet (Bumblebee) - Ordered from Amazon AU.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Transformers: Generation Selects Black Zarak
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Ravage (Bumblebee) - This class is currently the only class of Studio Series I seen in store this year.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

SS '86 Coronation Starscream - I'm glad I skipped Earthrise because while I don't mind paying Leader price for this Voyager mold with accessories, I'd've hated buying the figure twice. I'm pleasantly surprised by how different he his from G2 Ramjet, my only other copy of this mold. I knew the wings and head would be different, but the torso plate and shins are as well. I'm especially happy that the shin plates have smaller kneecaps since Ramjet's are a bit big. I think this change even requires a slight difference in transformation, since the waist plate has to fold out for Starscream but not the conehead.

The face is nice and smug. The crown is a bit oversized for his head, but that's something Starscream would actually do, so I don't mind. It's like the garish, shiny stickers on PotP Starscream; it's not my aesthetic choice, it's this narcissistic jerk's aesthetic choice.

I'm impressed by the multiple hinges in the shoulder armor allowing for posing of both the arms and the null rays. The extra null rays that attach to the shoulder armor (which use the same 5 mm ports as the regular null rays) look decent in jet mode, too. They stick out a bit too far forward, but sit much closer to the wings vertically. I may use these for both modes and give the standard null rays to CHUG Starscream.

I wasn't impressed with the opening hands at first. But, that was before I knew the cape was hinged to look like it was extending along with his arm. A slightly open hand looks better with that. I'm a bit disappointed that the cape doesn't go high up enough on the back. But, I won't be displaying this guy from the back, so it doesn't matter much.

Starscream doesn't fit in the throne very well, but Furai model kit Megatron does, so it's his now. It seems like this was just thrown in because the wearable accessories wouldn't be feasible at a Voyager price, but weren't enough for a Leader. It's too bad there's not a US$40-ish price point for stuff like this. One good thing about this being a Leader is that the backdrop is actually big enough to be a proper display. I don't know if I'll use it, but it's nice to have the option.

Optimus and Bee bag clip - little non-transforming, non-articulated figures I got from my parents for Easter. Optimus looks decent enough. Bee doesn't. He's got his hands on his hips like he's upset with how poorly he's turned out.
MissElla
Protoform
Custom Title: MissElla

Post by MissElla »

Transformers G1 Bombshell
Sticker and Chrome has a little light wear, but it's okay. :) Image
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I never had G1 Bombshell as a kid, but I had Shrapnel (who I sold) and Kickback (who I still have). I did get the reissue Insecticon box set on clearance at K-Mart a few years ago, but never got around to opening it for some reason. That's odd for me. My only other unopened TF is Gigawatt, who I bought last Thanksgiving.

Legacy Galvatron - I didn't like the battle damage paint of the Kingdom version, or want to learn how to look for proper shoulders. Fortunately this one came out. I like how the mostly purple bot becomes a mostly grey cannon.

In cannon mode, it seems like the chest plate should rotate 180 deg around the belly button to end up between the arms/tread struts. The cannon barrel would stick out better, and the chest plate looks like it should fit in the gap between the shoulder bits. I spent too long trying to see if this was supposed to happen and I was missing something. If it weren't for the matrix notch confirming that the chest plate stays under the barrel, I'd still be wondering.

It's be nice if the toes could point down in cannon mode to make a handle to replicate the original's laser pistol mode. I can use the legs as a handle as is, but it's not comfortable.

My only real issue is opening the chest to get the head out when transforming to bot mode. It's hard to open the compartment, and the center head crest doesn't quite fit when folding the head out. It rubs against the barrel, and I think I see a stress mark forming. Am I doing something wrong?
MissElla
Protoform
Custom Title: MissElla

Post by MissElla »

Transformers toys cyberverse ultra class bumblebee action figure

Combine Ultra Class Bumblebee with Energon Armor to convert him into his powered-up mode. Pull out his Cybertronian Sabers weapons in the last conversion step to activate his Energon Armor-Up feature. Armor attaches automatically!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

The boxy blue Autobot stood staring at a wall. He'd been there for hours, now, just staring, lost in his own world.

Lost in their own duties, Rattrap and Dinobot had walked past him on several occasions, although after a while, Rattrap had started hanging various odds and ends off of the Autobot. When he suddenly snapped back to himself, the cascade of various parts and junk crashing to the deck brought them running.

"I'm.... I'm back." The blue Autobot turned to face Rattrap and Dinobot. "Who are you? Where am I?"

"I'm Rattrap, an' th' slaggin' Saurian here is Choppaface-"

"DINObot, Vermin."

"'S what I said, ain't it? Where ya are is th' Ark. An' who in th' slag are you?"

"I'm.... Skids. I was on a grand adventure. And then I think I died on.... Necros? I think?"

"Neva heard'a it."

"I think I was a police car, too. A couple of Japanese police officers were careening around Tokyo in me...."

Transformers LEGACY Skids: We went from Kingdom shelf warmers to most of the first wave of Legacy(no sign of Iguanus, sadly), and I got Skids. He looks pretty cool, although I think his legs are a bit stubby.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cyberverse Hammerbyte

Someone here (Denyer maybe?) recommended this ages ago, but the Canadian asking price made that a no-go until the line hit clearance. The toy reminds me of the better offerings from Armada or Cybertron, or even the gimmickier Beast Wars stuff. It's very much a toy that's designed in the service of its gimmick, but the gimmick (a spring-loaded pop-out shark head in robot mode) is cute and pretty unobtrusive. The figure's articulation is good enough for me, though I'm sure the "ANKLE TILTS!!!!111!" crowd wouldn't be happy with it. The mecha-shark alt-mode is pretty fetching, and the robot design (with the trident head crest) is very memorable.

But the materials let it down. The entire figure is molded from a glossy, slippery-feeling plastic that doesn't feel great to handle. And big chunks of the blue plastic had already discoloured in the package, so that some bits of him have a sky blue shade and the others are more seafoam. The paint work and engineering are a notch below what you'd expect from a Generations figure, too. But I fully expected that, and honestly the gulf isn't nearly as wide as I'd have expected. Whatever the flaws, all in all it's a pretty cool toy.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Energon Demolishor
Big grumpy fella turns into a big grumpy dump truck. Nice. This is such a simple figure, but he looks great and can shoot loads of missiles. Well four. That counts as loads.

Energon Prowl
There's something quite Playskool about this design. It looks and feels bigger than it should be. One of the more chonky Autobots from the line, and probably not the greatest, to be fair. There's just something I like about his design that I like. It's definitely not the face though, which is pancake flat and looks like he's had a stroke.

Energon Arcee
I've been after this one for a while, so is something of a grail. She's really nice! Let down by silly high-heeled boots and some silly tiny thalidomide hands (I wouldn't have bothered and just had the back halves of the bike as arms and just let folk deal with it), she's nevertheless a cute wee thing. Motorcycle mode is decent too. The Energon weapons are monstrous though and way too big for her. I know the play pattern was that these were designed to be given to larger figures in the line, but they still look silly.

Binaltech BT-06 Tracks (Yellow version)
Hilariously cheap on the aftermarket (it's the "wrong colour", apparently), like a lot of the Binaltech figures these days, poor yellow Tracks is actually pretty awesome. I like the Corvette alt-mode and it looks great in this bright banana yellow. Transformation is a bit of a faff, and the robot mode is a bit cluttered with car parts hanging off, but it does look nice.

Binaltech BT-02 Lambor
Hmm. Dead End really is the superior of the Viper trio. Lambor looks swish in alt mode, but the robot mode feels a bit unfinished, somehow. I think he just doesn't feel as elegant as Dead End. Must be the Coupe alt mode and the head looking like there's too much space around it.

...after being utterly disinterested in Legacy, I'm amused I've basically bought a bunch of old toys that are, er, homages to the original 1980s toys in one way or another. Difference here is that these feel very much their own thing and feel like updates without being completely unimaginative ones. Which seems to make a difference on how I view these compared to modern Generations figures.

Speaking of which:

Studio Series 86 Coronation Starscream
Nice to have a go on the Earthrise Seeker mould. It's nice, but my opinion of it - that it's just the old Classics Deluxe template with more room - hasn't changed. I like the bright, vibrant colours and the crown and articulated cape are fun accessories. The chair is fine, but honestly, I'd have happily had this left out and paid a little less for the figure. Starscream can't sit on it properly either, which makes it a bit redundant for him. Which is kind of the point, but that's an expensive joke. Looks good with Megatron plonked on it, though, so that's something. Shame there's no chicken included (Coronation Chicken joke, there).

Pretender Skullgrin
I really like #45 of the Marvel US comic, which has Skullgrin being a movie star. As I've picked up a few '88 figures recently, I thought it'd be nice to have another go with Skullgrin. He's great. I've never spotted this before, but he's actually got an open mouth. His lower jaw and tongue are sculpted into the torso . Shame they weren't painted up. The inner robot is slightly less of a skinny pipe cleaner, but isn't convincing anyone that's a tank.